Jahnewgarden's Skunk Labs Hydro Diamond LED Mixed Seed Grow Journal - 2017

jahnewgarden

420 Member
Greetings everyone, Jah New Garden here. Just started my first legal grow here in Washington, D.C. and wanted to start my first journal. Looking forward to your feedback!

My Setup:
I'm growing in a small hidden storage room built into my den, deep water culture hydroponics grow using rock wool and air stones through a compressor hose system. I have a couple of friends well versed in growing who have helped me set up my grow and I am following their advice for most of the choices that have been made regarding the grow. They have recommended Skunk Labs Hydroponics for nutrient scheduling and this is what I'm using. (Schedule provided below)

Strains: So I'm not entirely sure what strains I might have actually popped, my friend studying abroad in Amsterdam brought back some seeds from a seedery there over Christmas via a bag of rolling tobacco and as a result the 3 strains of seeds he bought were mixed up. It could be any of these 3 strains he purchased: Jacky White, Durga Mata, and Delahaze (Kind of a bummer but next time I'll be sure the seeds are separate so I know exactly what I'm growing). I do know that all 3 strains are an Indica / Sativa hybrid.

My grow currently has 2 plants in their first week of their vegetation nutrient schedule and 2 seedlings I just transplanted into small rock wool cubes that just popped. I'm going to keep it to 4 plants for the first grow as I feel out the amount of space the room has to offer. The 2 older plants are in 5 gallon buckets and will later be moved into 7 gallon buckets. For lighting I'm using a Diamond XML 350 LED with specs as follows: 10 x 10w USA Made Cree XML LEDâ€s, 144 x 3w High Output LEDâ€s (single chip), Total Coverage 4.5′ x 4.5′, Core Coverage 4′ x 4′. (Pictured below)

I have 2 fans setup in the room for air circulation along with one humidifier. I've been successful in keeping the room temped between 73-79 degrees with an average humidity of 50%. I am currently not using any reflective material in the room but am thinking to add this down the line. After I've been nuting the water I PH it down to 5.5 per my friend's guidance. At the current veg stage I replace the water in the bucket (1 gallon) once a week with the new nutrient mix for that week based on my Skunk Labs schedule provided below (using distilled water). For veg weeks 1-3 I am giving the plants 1 spritz a day of "Vital Boost". I have had no issues with pests to date but today I've noticed some little redish brown dots on the leaves of the smaller of the 2 plants, read this could be from over ferting or water PH and was wondering if anyone had some insight based on my photo.

Setup86.JPG
Together8.JPG
Seedlings69.JPG
Plant_173.JPG
Plant_261.JPG

(plant with small redish brown dots and slight minor discoloration mostly towards tip of leaves)

Nutrient Schedule:
Skunk_Labs_Veg.jpg
Skunk_Labs_Bloom.jpg

Light Specs:
Diamond_350_LED.jpg

Update from today: Plant 1 is still looking great while Plant 2 is still showing the small red dots on edge of leaves, minor discoloration, though it does not appear to have gotten any worse or have spread to more parts of the plant - I would still love some insight as to what some of you might think is going on with Plant 2, if problem is solved will Plant 2 regain normal coloration on distressed leaves? Plants 1 & 2 received their daily misting of "Vital Boost" per Skunk Labs nutrient schedule.

Plant 1:
IMG_265013.JPG

Plant 2:
IMG_265116.JPG

The 2 new seedlings (Plants 3 & 4) are coming along nicely in the background, I'm planning to transplant them into 4in x 4in rock wool cubes on Monday:
IMG_265215.JPG

Super Bowl Sunday Update:

Plant 1 is still looking great, nothing much to report there. The 2 oldest plants will begin week 2 of their Skunk Labs nutrient schedule tomorrow:
IMG_265317.JPG

Some encouraging signs from Plant 2 today, whatever the issue was seems to have subsided for the moment as I've seen no more dotting, a bit of restored coloration, and some nice overnight growth:
IMG_265421.JPG

The first of the 2 seedlings ditched its shell today, they'll both move to their 4in x 4in rock wool housings tomorrow.
IMG_265616.JPG

Today's update is not a good one. Plants 1 & 2 both looking extremely droopy today. I decided the original compressor I was using was not circulating enough air in my buckets and the plants were not receiving enough water. I've replaced with a larger compressor and it's bubbling the water up much much better. I've also went ahead and poured some untreated water over the rock wool cubes of the plants. It also looks like the discoloration on the leaves of Plant 2 is due to a Calcium / Magnesium deficiency, probably due to the poor circulation and the nutrients not making it up to the roots as I am using CaliMagic in my nutrient mix. The roots have come through the bottom of the basket of Plant 1 and are now visible. The roots on Plant 2 have yet to come out of the bottom of the basket. I've also placed a reflective mat on the floor today. Both of the babies, Plants 3 and 4, are looking great. More updates to follow tomorrow.

Plant 1:
IMG_268512.JPG

Plant 2:
IMG_268417.JPG

Plants 3 & 4:
IMG_268621.JPG

So it has now been 2 full days since I decided my original compressor was not watering the plants enough and Plants 1 & 2 were therefore under watered and underfed. Since changing the compressor to a larger one and pouring a little PHed water over the rock wool of Plants 1 & 2 to catch them back up, Plants 1 & 2 have sprung back to life, perked up, and are showing healthy new growth. I also added a small dose of CaliMagic (about .5 ml / 1 gallon water) to the water I poured over Plant 2, which had lower leaves that appeared to be suffering from Calcium / Magnesium deficiencies based on the spotting and some research I did. Pictures below, hoping to see some fully recovered plants come Monday. Plants 3 & 4 still coming along nicely.

Plant 1:
IMG_270620.JPG

Plant 2:
IMG_270519.JPG

Plant 3:
IMG_270723.JPG

Plant 4:
IMG_270821.JPG

All plants are continuing to come along nicely, I'm going to wait another day or two to move Plants 3 & 4 into their baskets and let the roots develop a bit more, they got another feeding of Pre-Growth nutrients today (0.5ml ResClear, 0.5ml Silicate 7.8, 1ml CaliMagic, 1.5 Bloom A, 1.5ml Bloom B water PHed to 5.5) while Plants 1 & 2 received Veg week 2 nutrients (1ml ResClear, 1ml Silicate 7.8, 2ml CaliMagic, 2ml Veg A, 2ml Veg B water PHed to 5.5) and a daily squirt of Vital Boost.

Plant 1:
IMG_273014.JPG

Plant 2:
IMG_272925.JPG

Plant 3:
IMG_273122.JPG

Plant 4:
IMG_273216.JPG

Current Setup:
IMG_273518.JPG

Hey Jah i found you, the red spots and discoloration looked like light burn maybe from misting them with lights going. Each little drop of moisture acts like a magnifying glass.

StarKiller OG - Rockwool - Ebb & Flow - 1200W LED - 2016
New Member Start Links
How do I top my plants?
Auto Growers Unite - A Community Thread

Hey penny, thanks for stopping by - really appreciate it. The Skunk Labs nutrient schedule I've been following was calling for a single foliage spray a day of their Vital Boost during the first 3 weeks of veg. I've honestly been doing it once daily since I switched to my week 1 veg schedule on both plants so I don't think that was it. From the picture I've seen looked like a Cali / Mag deficiency, probably because they weren't getting fed enough with my old compressor. Regardless, you think I should stop with the Vital Boost daily spray? Plants have been in full recovery mode since the switch.

I try to spray when the lights are about to go out but i also watch the humidity. If humidity is low i do foliar spray and I try not to let the spray sit on the leaves with the lights on, but it happens. I try to keep the spray on the underside of the leaves while protecting the lights from overspray, if that makes anysense.

AnyWho, just a couple of cents and random babble.

lookin better, cheers

Well hello everyone! Sorry for the hiatus - I've been in Mexico over the last 10 days and also had to replace my cell phone so I didn't have a camera. Anyways, a friend of mine took care of the plants while I was gone and boy are they looking great. All 4 plants look fantastic and the 2 plants that were started later (3 & 4) have almost matched plants 1 & 2 in growth exactly - all plants are just about 15" tall at this stage in the game. Last Friday, all plants received their week 3 veg nutrients and they will receive week 4 this Friday. I will likely veg the plants until they are about 4ft tall, which I believe is the optimal height for the room I am growing in. Couple of upgrades happened to the room last week, two vents were installed with ducts, one for my new honeywell AC unit that now has the room perfectly temperature controlled and one for my carbon filter. Also the pole my light is attached to has been mounted and raised to the maximum height the room will allow. Here's the evidence:

IMG_0001394.JPG
IMG_0003400.JPG
IMG_0005382.JPG
IMG_0007341.JPG
IMG_0009325.JPG
IMG_0011297.JPG
IMG_0012276.JPG

Happy Friday! Today, all 4 plants received their week 4 nutrients and were all topped for the first time - I'm planning to top again in two weeks - wondering if anyone had recommendations here regarding topping and how many times you'd recommend doing it. The room I'm growing in isn't the biggest so I'm really trying to maximize yield however I can. I also added a second Diamond LED 350 light to the room, I'm thinking this next week I should see some serious growth.

FullSizeRender-110.jpg
FullSizeRender162.jpg
FullSizeRender162.jpg
IMG_0051101.JPG
IMG_0052102.JPG
IMG_005980.JPG
IMG_0028188.JPG
IMG_0026193.JPG
IMG_0032162.JPG
IMG_0044121.JPG
IMG_0045110.JPG

Jah plants are recovering and thickening out nicely after their topping. All appears to be well and I went ahead with some pruning of undergrowth and a couple of the more invasive fan leaves. I was wondering if anyone would share heir topping experiences with me (stages when you topped, how many times you topped, etc.) as this is my first grow topping a plant and I'm trying to get the most that I can out of more 4 babies.

IMG_007883.JPG
IMG_008071.JPG
IMG_008174.JPG
IMG_008472.JPG

Back
Top Bottom