JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed Capn Style - 600 Watt HID

Re: JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed "Capn" Style - 600watt HID

Looks nice. I hope the drain hole doesn't leak for you.

Thanks MaPilot. Fortunately, the way I have the totes positioned one over the other...if it did end up leaking, it would run down into the lower tote either way. I am going to test it out tomorrow when the caulking has fully cured.

-JBooze

Day 27:
20140913_153156.jpg

-JBooze

Beautiful; looks in perfect health. Good job on the topping, it really caused it to focus some energy on the lower levels. Love it. That's how you increase yield, buddy! As soon as you see significant top growth, maybe another inch, I would top the two tops, and then you will have 4 mains. Doing so early really causes it to bush up and you will be on your way to dozens of tops.

Your AK48 blades look fatter than mine were.

Hey Capn,

Thanks man! She really is looking great and ever since the topping, I have seen a lot more growth lower on the stalk. I'm expecting to top her again by tomorrow afternoon. Here is a pic from today (Day 28). The larger fan leaves are almost the size of my hand! I'm certainly interested to see the difference of what my AK48 looks like versus other peoples' plants.

20140914_101605.jpg

Also, I've had what I believe to be great success in brewing up small batches of tea. I'm using a 32oz. Gatorade bottle that I cut the top off, and my air stone is roughly a 2" x 2" cylinder that fits right down in. The first batch a couple weeks ago I brewed up 2.5 gallons so I could familiarize myself with the process. In my case, brewing that much was so wasteful. This method appears to be working perfectly. So in the Gatorade bottle I first fill almost to the top with distilled water, then I add:

• 1 ml Hydroguard
  • 1/4 cup Ancient Forest
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Subculture-M (Myco)
  • 1 Teaspoon Molasses
I had picked up a nice set of measuring spoons at walmart a few weeks back. They range from 1 cup all the way down to 1/8 teaspoon. Having these makes it much easier to mix up a small batch of tea.

Thanks again Cap! This girl is going to be big, and it is the methods you have taught me that will fatten her up!

-JBooze

Hey JockBoozer, looks like you got a great start, I am growing Capn Style too, but no journals yet, been lurking for a while, figured I finally join up.

:slide: keep up the good work :peace:

Hey JockBoozer, looks like you got a great start, I am growing Capn Style too, but no journals yet, been lurking for a while, figured I finally join up.

Thanks guys! ProfMephesto, happy to have you here, if you get a journal up and running lemme know so I can have a peak!

Also, for anyone who can answer...the RH in my grow room has been rather low for a few days due to how dry/cool my weather has been...It is sitting at roughly 38-40%. Should I try to raise this? I thought I remember reading that ideal range is in the 50s-60s. Could this low RH slow plant growth?

Thanks!

JBooze

If you got the room, just get a cheap humidifier from Home Depot or whatever, I have same issue.

If you got the room, just get a cheap humidifier from Home Depot or whatever, I have same issue.

I may need to do this. With the fall/winter coming up...the air is especially dry where I am. I'm thinking I should be in the 50-60% RH range...so sitting at 38% is certainly not ideal. Found a cheap humidifier on Home Depot's website for 30 bucks. Nice!

-JBooze

Day 30:

Hey folks, adding a bunch of pictures from today. Not much to report at the moment except the other day I had a bit of a lighting problem. Specifically, the breaker kicked off when the lights/fan came on at 6am. I caught it at 6:30 and turned them on. Unfortunately, I neglected to remember that the mechanical timer for the lights will cease to function correctly if not adjusted to the correct current time. It wasn't until yesterday morning that I caught this. It is fixed now...but as a result, the newest set of fan leaves looks a bit funky (i.e. four bladed leaves etc). With that said, I don't expect there to be any lasting damage and the plant looks mighty fine! A newbie mistake that I have learned from is what I will chalk it up as!

Also, I did the second topping yesterday. Growth rate seems very nice and she has filled in quite a bit! I took a look at the roots today and they look nice and white still. My guess is another 4 to 7 days and I will need to transplant to the 1 gallon pot.

On with the pictures!

20140916_170938.jpg

20140916_170922.jpg

20140916_170810.jpg

20140916_170708.jpg

20140916_170724.jpg

In the next picture, you can see both the locations where I topped her. Not quite as pretty as the first topping; it was a bit tougher this time since it is so bushy and these stalks are a bit more fragile. Still, I believe it should be just fine.

20140916_170758.jpg

20140916_170739.jpg

I have roughly 4-5 more weeks left in veg. In about a week, I'm hoping I can start some low-stress training. Also, in about three weeks I'm hoping to be able to take some clones!

Thanks for viewing!
-JBooze

Day 34:

Wow is this girl bushy!

20140920_084505.jpg

20140920_084513.jpg

Other than the two main stalks that I topped a few days ago, she has had a couple other main shoots topped as well. I'm going to let that new growth get some length to it and maybe in a few days I can start bending and training her a bit.

I bumped up to the next pot size two days ago (its about a 1.5gal I think). Here are a couple pictures of root ball before the transplant:

20140917_170328.jpg

20140917_170332.jpg

She has been getting her tea feedings every Monday and gets watered daily with the 500ppm nutrient mix. A week or so ago I started to notice a very slight smell. Nothing overwhelming yet but every now and then when I open the door I get a nice faint aroma. I went ahead and ordered an iPower filter.

51iPp2ZT0fL.jpg

Hopefully it will do the trick. Since I only have the one max-fan at the moment, I am going to be pulling air through the filter, then through the light. Eventually I plan on buying another max-fan so I can have two separate systems.

Also, I bought a humidifier. RH for the last week has been sitting around 35-40%. Sitting at 60% now, much better.

That about wraps it up! I'm very pleased with the progress. As far as schedule is concerned, I believe I have about 4 more weeks before I switch to flower.

Thanks for looking!
-JBooze

Shaft,

Very excited to see this girl in four weeks when I'm ready to flower, shes gonna be big! I like being able to brew up just the small amount of tea. The first batch a few weeks ago I did a few gallons, and like you said, I hate to waste it. Pouring money down the drain basically. The roots have maintained their healthy white look so I can only assume the small batch is working properly.

Would love to see your journal if you make one for your next grow!

Take care,
-JBooze

It will be a few months from now, still too hot here. I think around the end of November. I have a few things I want to construct also. I'll let you know.

Sounds great man, keep me posted. This is my first grow so I'm definitely still a newbie, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Outstanding JockBoozer, very nice updates, easy to follow and easy to enjoy. Thanks for your time.

Hey J - what fan are you going to run with your filter - or is it a kit, filter and fan together?? I've got a cool tube light and I have the filter outside my grow tent with an inline fan at the filter (outside the tent) so the fan sucks the air thru the cool tube light and out of the grow room into the filter and into the room outside the grow tent. Some put the filter inside the tent and suck air thru the filter. I couldn't figure a good way to do that AND keep the lamp cool. I run a 600w HID also. In a few weeks the whole house/condo/apartment will smell and once into flower your neighborhood will know what you are doing without the filter!! I have a 3 story twin and had to move my setup to the 3rd floor where I had it before primarily due to the smell. I tried the 2nd floor this time but when I got home from work I could smell the girls as soon as I opened the door to walk in the house. So we moved back up to the 3rd floor and I can't tell I've got a grow going now, I'm still in veg and once the buds start mmmmmm mmmmm so will the smell. It will get danky smelling 100%. I live in a city so no need for me to "advertise". I need stealth. I get visitors & family from time to time that don't know whats what and want to keep it that way.

On another note - Why only one plant?? You should start another seedling or 2 & have a reserve plan B - you can always cull if you need to. BTW - Your plant looks VERY healthy, great job on your first grow, thats amazing already.

Cheers

Heres my setup - notice the tubing going up and out of the tent - there's an inline fan with the filter you ordered on the outside. Vents into the room - windows and another fan running for added circulation. I have a few bends in the tubing but the fan is 4" inline with the 4" filter 190cfm total which will be plenty enough to keep your lamp cool and the air fresh.

WP_20140920_001.jpg

Outstanding JockBoozer, very nice updates, easy to follow and easy to enjoy. Thanks for your time.

Hey 60cal, Thanks man! If someone learns something from my postings, that would be excellent. I've spent a lot of time reading other people's posts and learning from them. Just enjoy giving back! Having meticulous postings will also help me on my subsequent grows.

Hey J - what fan are you going to run with your filter - or is it a kit, filter and fan together?? I've got a cool tube light and I have the filter outside my grow tent with an inline fan at the filter (outside the tent) so the fan sucks the air thru the cool tube light and out of the grow room into the filter and into the room outside the grow tent. Some put the filter inside the tent and suck air thru the filter. I couldn't figure a good way to do that AND keep the lamp cool. I run a 600w HID also. In a few weeks the whole house/condo/apartment will smell and once into flower your neighborhood will know what you are doing without the filter!! I have a 3 story twin and had to move my setup to the 3rd floor where I had it before primarily due to the smell. I tried the 2nd floor this time but when I got home from work I could smell the girls as soon as I opened the door to walk in the house. So we moved back up to the 3rd floor and I can't tell I've got a grow going now, I'm still in veg and once the buds start mmmmmm mmmmm so will the smell. It will get danky smelling 100%. I live in a city so no need for me to "advertise". I need stealth. I get visitors & family from time to time that don't know whats what and want to keep it that way.

On another note - Why only one plant?? You should start another seedling or 2 & have a reserve plan B - you can always cull if you need to. BTW - Your plant looks VERY healthy, great job on your first grow, thats amazing already.

Cheers

Heres my setup - notice the tubing going up and out of the tent - there's an inline fan with the filter you ordered on the outside. Vents into the room - windows and another fan running for added circulation. I have a few bends in the tubing but the fan is 4" inline with the 4" filter 190cfm total which will be plenty enough to keep your lamp cool and the air fresh.

Bo,

I'm using a 6" Max-Fan which is rated at 334 CFM on highest setting. I usually keep it on the lowest setting unless it gets above 80 degrees outside...then I bump it up to the middle setting. The filter is the 6"x16" IPower filter. I will be placing it in the grow room itself. Air will get sucked through the filter, through the enclosed light, and pushed outside. I'm anticipating that my fan should have no problem handling it. It is one of the better fans on the market...quiet too.

I grew only one plant because it is my first grow. I figured that I would have an easier time maintaining it and if I had any problems with the plant along the way, I wouldn't have to worry about multiple plants. I do plan on taking some clones in a couple weeks. Since I have the separate veg area, I can have a plant in flower and a plant in veg at the same time. I'll be able to harvest every 2 months with this setup.

Your grow room looks nice and clean and your plants look very healthy as well! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my journal...when I get some more free time I will check yours out too!

Happy growing!
-JBooze

Jbooze NP on the single there. Sure you don't want to start a few more seeds as a backup??.. I got thru 65 days with 4 plants my first grow from seed and ended up with 2 plants after they went into flower. Now that I have my girls I can clone them all day long and know what I have going forward. You're doing such a great job and lots of effort, getting a few more seedlings will be beneficial in the long run.

Cheers,
BB

Day 37:

Chugging along just fine! She has been topped a couple more times today right on the very top. Hoping to have the side branches get some more length and keep the top center nice and flat. I've tied her down in a few places as well. Yesterday, I gave the plant her regularly scheduled Monday tea feeding. My carbon filter should be coming today as well. Don't really need it yet, but I want to have it on hand and ready to go when it is needed. Next purchase will be a slab of 3" rockwool and some rooting compound. I expect to be taking a few clones in about 10 days. Along with those couple things, I'll be getting a small water pump and a 9" drip ring so I can get the recirculating top feed setup going.

Here are a few pictures from today:

20140923_172145.jpg

20140923_172054.jpg

20140923_172134.jpg

20140923_172123.jpg

Enjoy!
-JBooze

Back
Top Bottom