JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed Capn Style - 600 Watt HID

Re: JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed "Capn" Style - 600watt HID

Day 12 Update!

Plant is growing quick! I've been feeding with about a cup of the 150PPM solution every other day. Size-wise she looks like she is ready to be bumped up to 300PPM. So Sunday AM she will get her first upped dose. Also, tomorrow I am picking up ingredients for the Heisenberg tea. I'll brew that up tomorrow and give her the first taste of tea probably Monday morning after it sits and bubbles for the 36 hours. I'll give a small update tomorrow w/pics of tea brewing.

On with the pictures!

20140829_173617.jpg

20140829_173524.jpg

20140829_173642.jpg

20140829_173655.jpg

Thanks for viewing!
-JBooze

I'm strapped in. Have nothing but respect for the DYI handyman.....I'd probably have a similar setup to you and the TheCapn but I'm finishing our basement before sale. Very nice setup brotha....thanks for stopping by and the kind words.
:passitleft:

Hey MaPilot,

The tea is a mixture of various beneficial bacterias that help root growth and protect against bad bacterias. From what I understand, It can really accelerate the growth process! Also, it can be used in any grow setup using any grow medium. I learned about it reading TheCapn's posts/blogs. Take a looksie!

Live or Sterile? Why I choose Live

-JBooze

I'm strapped in. Have nothing but respect for the DYI handyman.....I'd probably have a similar setup to you and the TheCapn but I'm finishing our basement before sale. Very nice setup brotha....thanks for stopping by and the kind words.
:passitleft:

Thanks man for stopping by! I work as a carpenter for a living and I also happened to have about 75% of the construction materials in my employer's warehouse which I basically have free reign over if it's leftover material from a job. So I was fortunate enough to be able focus on spending money on the hardware. In about 6-7 weeks when I'm getting ready to flower, I'm going to buy another 600watt unit, take some clones, and setup the veg area in the right side of the grow room. Hoping to get a nice perpetual grow going!

-JBooze

Hey folks, quick update and a question...

First off, I switched off from the 105watt CFL to my 600watt MH, which I have running at 50% power. Here are a couple pictures:

20140830_153224.jpg

20140830_153234.jpg

My question is...how close is too close? The glass of the unit is roughly 20 inches from top of plant. The glass itself is only slightly warm. Would I be correct to assume that I could get this light pretty damn close to the top of the plant? Is it the amount of light (lumens) that can damage a plant, or the heat generated from the bulb itself that can damage a plant?

Also...I brewed up my first batch of tea. I have it bubbling right now and will be administering it on Monday.

20140830_145746.jpg

20140830_145644.jpg

For those interested, quantities of product used are as follows (for 2 gallons distilled water):

1 cup ancient forest
1 teaspoon of subculture-m (myco)
4ml hydroguard
1 tablespoon molasses

Thanks folks,
JBooze

Hey boozer, looking good. At 300W, light looks about the right distance. Both heat and intensity can hurt a small plant. 300W MH is still overkill for that size plant. I've used 100W of T5 lighting to grow a plant 3' tall and 3' in diameter.

The 300 is fine to use, but probably wasting electricity. That CFL will do until it gets a little bigger.

Thanks Cap! Yeah I was a bit bored today and figured I'd give it a shot and set it up. Also, I was interested in seeing what the room temps got to with it on. I must admit is does seem a bit excessive seeing that giant light with one little plant underneath! I'll probably throw the 100cfl back on tomorrow morning.

Thanks as always dude,
JBooze

So I switched back to the 105 watt cfl...hear you loud and clear capn, that hid light is just plain unneccessary at this point in time. It was a good experiment though. A problem Im going to have to address is heat. Temp climbed to 88 in the room today before I took it out. Main issue at the moment is I have the exhaust venting right back into the main room. My exhaust vent is right near a window and it has always been my intent to fashion up something to exhaust it thru the window without being obvious. So my plan is to use some sheet aluminum and use my aluminum break i have at work. I can rivet together an exhaust box that can fit in the window and look fine. Should help the situation.

-JBooze

Day 15 Picture Update

All is well. As I mentioned I had switched back to the 105watt CFL. This week I am going to fashion up an exhaust pipe in hope of keeping temps down with the MH light. Plant is looking great! I just gave her her first batch of tea. Excited to see the progress this week and next after a couple tea feedings.

Here are today's pictures:

20140901_111350.jpg

20140901_111340.jpg

Enjoy and Thanks!

-JBooze

And here are pics from Day 5:

20140822_174535.jpg

20140822_174526.jpg

Hey Boozer! Here's a Barneys Vanilla Kush seedling currently on on day 6 since sprouting... Not too far behind yours! Same growing style. We can compare here and there!

Definitely going to follow your journal... Great pics and sweet Capn style setup. That tea looks delicious mmmmm SubCulture-M....

BVK_5.JPG

BVK_5-2.JPG

Looking great, boozer!

Here's a little trick you can do to check your roots. When the pot feels light, and you know it needs water, put your hand on the top of the pot with the stem between your fingers and turn the pot upside down. You can then pull the pot right off it and if you have good roots, all the cubes will stay together. Then you can see how white your roots are, and you can also see if you need to transplant. Wait until you have a good layer of roots in the bottom of the pot before transplanting up a size.

Shanker-- Looking good man! Today is day 16 for me. Its amazing how quick they grow. I leave for work in the morning and get back at 5pm and can see the difference! Do you have a grow journal going that I can peak at?

Grow Jr -- Thanks for stopping by! This is my first grow...lots of learning going on here. She looks healthy as can be though!

Capn -- Thanks man, I'm having a lot of fun! The challenge is rewarding as is seeing the growth and healthiness of the plant. It's funny you mention the trick for determining if it needs to be transplanted...I learned that when I was young. My mom is a landscape architect/plant nut...so the folks had me out doing gardening work from the time I was old enough to pull up weeds! Definitely interested to see how white the roots are. I only mixed up two gallons of tea...I remember reading you had trouble mixing up small batches. I'm hoping the tea brewed successfully. I am going to experiment with mixing up real small batches...down to about a quart if I can. If I have success I will post my method.

Is there any way to tell if the beneficial bacteria successfully multiplied/reproduced?

Thanks everyone!
-JBooze

JockBoozer thanks for letting me watch, I am just starting out also. I have just started making tea myself. I notice after 24 to 36 hrs there will be foam then I know. I am on my first grow with organic soil. I love 420 mag so much info, went to organic threads, lots on teas there. :peace: :thumb:

Hey Boozer;

Looks like you got a cool group of guys subbed to your journal!

Unfortunately no journal for me though :( I'm more of a reader then a writer. I will definitely pop by from time to time though for comparing pics and seeing how awesome your plants also look! I hope they grow fast, large, and green for ya! It's a very rewarding and fun hobby.

- I'll likely be switching to using G.H. SubCulture-M in the Heisenberg Tea instead of ZHO due to availability in my area. Seems like it should be kinda similar stuff; Hopefully a little more Diverse or something cool like that. Hope it does no harm by switching Myco products mid grow.

- Great transplant tip Capn....

Good luck!

Appreciate the kind words Shank! I was originally going to use the ZHO, but it turns out that the only myco products my local hydro shop carries are great white and GH subculture. The great white was a bit too expensive, so I opted for the subculture-m. I'm not sure how many tea feedings it takes to get the roots white like thecapns...but within the next several days I'm expecting to have to transplant up a pot size...so I'll get a good look.

As for switching myco products mid grow...I couldn't say for sure, but I have my doubts it would cause any issues.

Thanks for stopping by again!

If anyone has any questions about my grow/setup, feel free to ask.

-JBooze

Is there any way to tell if the beneficial bacteria successfully multiplied/reproduced?

-JBooze

I tried using a kids plastic crappy microscope but couldn't see a thing. I'm interested in this too. But I don't really worry about it because I know it's working. What do you think? :rofl:

BTW, I created a blog entry about the transplanting

I tried using a kids plastic crappy microscope but couldn't see a thing. I'm interested in this too. But I don't really worry about it because I know it's working. What do you think? :rofl:

Ha! Id say it doesn't get any better than that! I'm about ready to transplant to my 6" pot, so I will check the root structure tonight. She has only received one batch of tea so far...so we'll see! Thanks for the transplant blog as well...the pictures you provide help a ton when making comparisons.

-JBooze

Back
Top Bottom