JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

Fridge Boy farewell.

I took it out of the fridge a week ago and put it in the basement window where it doesn't get much light. It hasn't been watered since I put it in the fridge a few weeks ago. It stretched some more and has a lot more pollen sacs showing.
GEDC2119.JPG

Looks like it was trying to make a bunch of pollen sacs where the buds would be on a female. It was interesting to see a male plant develop, and to know that a plant can be put in a fridge and still live.
GEDC2121.JPG

Today I decided it's time to go, so it's gone and mulched. I needed the container for an extra jalapeno plant. Plus a clone getting close to flower. Don't want any pollen floating around here! :thumb:

Chillin 2 is getting pissed, I hope.

This is the little plant I sent into flower early for lack of space. She's always had by far the best aroma of the three girls that I grew. It's a lemony-pine scent that I can't get enough of. I thought this was going to be great smoke, but never tried a sample bud because there aren't a lot. I snagged one last week and tried it out after a 3 day dry. Not very potent at all.

I remembered a post by Dennise where she said she thinks pissing off the plants toward the end can boost trichome production. I also saw a post somewhere that cutting way back on light in the final days can give 'er a boost too. I tried to piss this one off by sticking push pins through all the branches, twisting the main branch and setting the timer to 6/18. I blogged those posts for future reference if it turns out that it helped.:thumb: Probably futile at this point, but I have nothing to lose so why not!

When I was searching 420 about trichomes I also read a bunch of posts that say that it also produces more trich's if the plant spends it's last 24 hours in complete darkness. I have no idea about this but maybe others have heard if this is just crap or has any validity. I haven't tried it because I have nowhere in complete darkness (even my crawl space has enough light to see a little during the day because of the vents (and they're still closed from winter).

Well I'm hoping to find out. :thumb:

I took a pic of the trichs last night, and marked the bud with a twist tie. I'll take another in a day or two (and post the pics) and see if there's any difference. I'll also try 24 hours of darkness for the last day, I have nothing to lose by trying, so why not? Experimenting is fun when there's not a lot of bud at stake! :cheesygrinsmiley:

When I first started growing I would put them in darkness for 24 to 48 hours before I chopped them but now... I just take it out of the tent and chop away...:) I can't honestly say I noticed a difference but you are right... it is one of those topics that some folks get real passionate about and I just can't see that it really matters...:straightface:....:circle-of-love:

Finally something happening so time for an update.

Chillin 2 just keeps on going. There are fresh pistils every day. All the leaves fell off, but she's making new ones at the top of the buds. The buds are getting plumper. She's back under 12/12 because I put Cici in the flower closet a couple days ago.
GEDC2155.JPG

Cici (the clone) is finally ready to flower. I'm hoping for some decent stretch so I can try SCROG on this one.
I cut a tomato cage to fit this container
GEDC2153.JPG
GEDC2154.JPG

Materials to make the screen. It needs to be cut in half, at least. I'll attach to the tomato cage with zip ties somehow
GEDC2157.JPG

Cici's clone. Wasn't doing much growing, but in soil now so probably any time now. She was wilting at noon so I watered her and she's starting to perk up again.
GEDC2159.JPG

Sandy the clone.

I did some massive defoliation on this one. And instead of topping, I did a supercrop. I screwed it up though, because I think it needs to heal up into a knuckle. This one never did heal, it looks like an open wound. She's growing back now so I might top her after all just to get rid of the open wound.
GEDC2165.JPG
GEDC2161.JPG

New kids in the cloner. Cuttings from Sandy and Cici the clones. I scraped the stems on these so maybe I'll have quicker results.
GEDC2163.JPG

The reveg doesn't look like it's going to work. All the green stalks and most of the popcorn buds turned brown. I'll just take what's left (I already got a joint worth), let sit out for a couple days and smoke it.:thumb: There were plenty of trichs on the popcorn so why waste it!
GEDC2164.JPG

That root ball does look weak, But my plant Minnie, that had come up stunted had the same small root ball and she still produced 1.97 Oz., These are sure some sturdy little plants!

If I could get that off of a plant under cfl, I'd be too glad! Maybe this clone in the PJ soil will surprise me.

Sandy's supercrop looks a little harsh, but I see trees like that all the time.
Unless you have high humidity or a history of bud rot or worm attacks, Sandy is probably fine with that wound.
Cut off vs leave supercropped, I think Sandy will be fine either way :)

It looks like you enjoy growing :)

Cool - I have none of the above yet so I'll leave her alone and see how she grows.

I do enjoy it, and I'm still a new guy! :thumb:

Cici is flowering. :party:

She's stretching, too. I purposely have her too far away from the lights in hopes that she stretches more so I can try SCROG. I don't know if it's a good idea, but that's what I'm doing.

What I'm hoping: she stretches a lot, I apply the screen and get the canopy even, put her close to the lights, and end up with the biggest harvest to date. Judging by the look of the leaves, she'll outperform her mother no matter what I do at this point. PJ soil at work. :thumb:
GEDC2166.JPG
GEDC2169.JPG

Here she goes... make me some pretty flowers, Cici!
GEDC2171.JPG
GEDC2172.JPG

I got my hands on a portable air conditioner, so my flower closet can stay put. Good suggestion, Dennise! :thumb:
I don't want plants in the basement if I can help it because that's where any bugs would be. I thought I got a steal on this one till I realized the carpet was soaked - it leaks. Now it's in a washer pan till I find the leak... in the meantime, flower closet temps are now down to 78F. I've been upper 80's lately. :cheer:
GEDC2179.JPG

Leaking
GEDC2180.JPG

Happy Independence Day weekend, America! Happy Sunday to everyone else! :thumb:

Time for a clone update.

I was going to try SCROG on Cici. I don't think I'm ready for that yet, so I undid it and went with LST.
GEDC2186.JPG
GEDC2185.JPG

Much better. I think the canopy is nice and even. If I get any more stretch, I'll be able to easily control it. She's got so many more bud sites than her mother, I don't know what to expect on this one, but I'm really optimistic. She's also under double the lighting that her mother had.
GEDC2197.JPG
GEDC2198.JPG

3rd generation clones. Sarah is a clone of Sandy. Candi is an extra clone of Cici. Colleen is also a clone of Cici. She's a little older, and just starting to grow. I'm hoping to keep Candi for a spare plant that I can experiment with in the fridge. I've been wanting to try the fridge thing with a female. I have limited grow space and lighting so putting a plant on hold will be great if I need to do it.
GEDC2191.JPG

Chillin2 hasn't really done anything lately. She still has white pistils, but at this point I don't know if they're new, or just staying white. So she got the chop. Easiest chop to date. No leaves to trim, and I just hung the whole thing upside down to dry.
GEDC2193.JPG

46g wet. If I get a quarter dry without the stalks, that would be great. I put this one into flower way too early for lack of vegging space, so to me it's an experiment. I'll just consider this free pot.
GEDC2196.JPG
GEDC2194.JPG

Now that I have one grow under my belt and the next one started, I think I'm ready to pick which strain I want to try and buy some seeds. So I decided to practice germinating with some bag seed. Out of 6 seeds in a bowl of water, 4 of them sank after a few hours (one of them went right down). The 4 that sank all sprouted within 4 days. I only planted one of the floaters, and nothing happened. I'm comfortable starting seeds now so... time to get picking out strains. :thumb:

GEDC2210.JPG

Looks like I have fungus gnats. My clones were not doing too well over the past week, and they all have the same type of leaf problems. I've only seen a few, and thought they were fruit flies at first, but now that I finally trapped one, I can see that it's probably a fungus gnat. I had some bug spray on standby just in case. I sprayed the plants, but don't know if it helped. I put yellow sticky traps out, and an apple cider vinegar trap. Today is the third day of the sticky traps and I just caught my first gnat. The vinegar trap is still empty. I'm hoping I caught this before it got out of hand. The seedlings are looking pretty rough. I don't care about them because it was germination practice. I don't want to lose the clones though.
GEDC2222.JPG
GEDC2224.JPG
GEDC2230.JPG

Cici update.

She is coming along great. I think I might have too many bud sites too close together though. I'll find out soon enough. This PJ soil is rocking it. It's great that I only have to water and not worry about nutes. :thumb:

My other plant Sandy is ready for flowering, but she's in the veg closet with the gnats and I don't want to risk anything yet, so she will just have to veg for now.
GEDC2226.JPG
GEDC2228.JPG
GEDC2227.JPG

Cici update.

She is coming along great. I think I might have too many bud sites too close together though. I'll find out soon enough. This PJ soil is rocking it. It's great that I only have to water and not worry about nutes. :thumb:

My other plant Sandy is ready for flowering, but she's in the veg closet with the gnats and I don't want to risk anything yet, so she will just have to veg for now.
GEDC2226.JPG
GEDC2228.JPG
GEDC2227.JPG

Sweet looking plant Jimmie!

Back
Top Bottom