JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

Fridge boy update.

I haven't touched this plant in a couple of weeks, and once again, it looks just fine. It could be the camera angle, but it seems like it grew just a hair in the fridge.

There has to be something to this. Putting a live plant in the fridge for nearly two weeks - twice - and the thing looks fine. This could be important info to me for any number of reasons, even for overwintering hot pepper plants, etc. So here's a before and after.

Two weeks ago
GEDC2004.JPG

An hour ago
GEDC2043.JPG

:thumb: This is fun.

Chillin1 final update.

This concludes the harvest of my very first girl. I'll never know what the exact harvest was because I've snagged buds here and there.

I know that this would be a pathetic harvest for an experienced grower, but I'm very happy with it. I have over a half oz of potent, seedless bud. At $200/oz, this would be worth $100 easy, and I still have a couple more plants that are almost ready. I'm betting an oz easy between those two. 1.5oz should more than cover my "startup" costs, including electricity. Disclaimer: I am not selling this, just estimating what I might have saved by not purchasing this amount.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice during my first grow! I appreciate it more than you know.
:thumb::cheer:

The first partial harvest - the top buds that were ready first
GEDC2057.JPG

The second partial harvest - the lower popcorn that had a bit to go
GEDC2058.JPG

The popcorn that I left on it when I was going to attempt a reveg
GEDC2059.JPG

I decided not to try and reveg her. I might try it on Handy Dandy when she's harvested. It makes more sense for me to try it on the more potent and productive plant.

I was curious to see the root system. It doesn't look like it was terribly rootbound to me except at the bottom. With the deeper containers I'm using now, maybe I won't have such a thick mass of roots at the bottom on my next run.
GEDC2035.JPG
GEDC2036.JPG
GEDC2037.JPG
GEDC2038.JPG
GEDC2039.JPG

Cool, right? My first clone went into Flower about a week ago. I took a clone first that's in the cloner now.

It is very cool! I also took a clone of the clone. It just came out of the cloner two days ago, and seems to be ok, although it wilted a bit today so I watered it and put a dome over it just in case.

I just harvested Handy Dandy. I'm pretty sure I pissed her off by letting her get dry. Last night, she was wilted and the buds were soft, like a bud gets after I chop one. I gave her a drink, but the leaves look like they took a blow and didn't recover. Maybe I'm overreacting and she was just ready. In any case, the pistils were done so here I go, almost all in one chop this time.

Just before the chop
GEDC2061.JPG
GEDC2062.JPG
GEDC2063.JPG

After the chop. Gotta leave a little green to attempt a reveg
GEDC2068.JPG
GEDC2069.JPG
GEDC2070.JPG
GEDC2071.JPG
GEDC2072.JPG

Untrimmed, as harvested. Looks bigger than my first harvest. I'm happy. :thumb:
GEDC2067.JPG

Now I'm going to mix up some bud wash and wash half the buds. I'll trim after washing, so the trim is just as clean as the buds.

I'll keep them separate during dry and cure and post my experience between washed and unwashed when I get that far.

Buds are now washed and hanging up to dry. The dishes are done!:thumb:

Bud wash and rinse ready to go. Harvest divided in half
GEDC2081.JPG

It almost felt like I was the one being dunked in cold water when I did this... it seems crazy, but I did it.

First buds washed

Peroxide wash
GEDC2082.JPG

Lemon juice/baking soda wash
GEDC2084.JPG

Rinse
GEDC2085.JPG

Rinse
GEDC2086.JPG

The rest of the buds. About half of the harvest washed.
GEDC2088.JPG
GEDC2089.JPG
GEDC2090.JPG
GEDC2092.JPG

Soaking wet
GEDC2093.JPG

How the water looks after washing
GEDC2094.JPG

The other half is not getting touched so I can compare
GEDC2095.JPG

Hung up to dry with what's left of the plant, and a clone of a clone, all sharing a light
GEDC2096.JPG
GEDC2097.JPG
GEDC2098.JPG

Here's what I used to wash the buds:

4 containers.

Container 1: 3 parts water, 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide (just the regular stuff at Walgreens or wal-whatever)

Container 2: 1 qt water, plus 2.5 tsp each of baking soda and lemon juice

Containers 3 & 4: water

I dunked the buds, then swished gently for 30 seconds in each container, then hung up to drip dry in the veg closet. A fan is on, but not blowing directly on the buds.

I first heard of bud washing from Radogast (thanks Rad!), then did a search to find the proportions. I came across a post from a member Doc Bud who posted his own recipe. It was huge (using 5 gal buckets), so I attempted to scale it down to my small grow. I didn't use RO water because I don't have any. I rounded the ingredients. I don't want to claim this as my own, nor do I want to say it's someone else's recipe, since I changed it. But that was my inspiration so I'm sharing.

Yes, it's supposed to improve the flavor. I haven't seen anyone say they've tried it and didn't like it. Since it's my first grow, I wanted to try it on half the buds, then I can compare the quality of both, and know 100% if it is worth it for me. I have a feeling it will be. :thumb:

Here's the link if you want to read about it. Bud Washing

You got reps there Jimmie! Congrats on your very first harvest, you did great. Looking forward to the next.

And nice trich pics too!

And seeds. :)

And a male plant that refuses to die. I just have to watch what happens with that plant!

:circle-of-love:

Thanks Canna!

I just pulled the boy out of the fridge. I was planning to take him out and see what happens when I didn't think he posed any more danger. I have one plant with fresh pistils that could pick up pollen, but I think she's so close right now that a vacuum cleaner bag full of pollen dumped on her would probably be more of a mess than a seed issue.

In the basement window to get used to seeing light again. Looks pretty damn good for what it's been through its entire life. I noticed more pollen sacks where I'd be seeing flowers on a girl.
GEDC2111.JPG

Buds are now washed and hanging up to dry.

GEDC2098.JPG

Here's what I used to wash the buds:

4 containers.

Container 1: 3 parts water, 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide (just the regular stuff at Walgreens or wal-whatever)

Container 2: 1 qt water, plus 2.5 tsp each of baking soda and lemon juice

Containers 3 & 4: water

I dunked the buds, then swished gently for 30 seconds in each container, then hung up to drip dry in the veg closet. A fan is on, but not blowing directly on the buds.

I first heard of bud washing from Radogast (thanks Rad!), then did a search to find the proportions. I came across a post from a member Doc Bud who posted his own recipe. It was huge (using 5 gal buckets), so I attempted to scale it down to my small grow. I didn't use RO water because I don't have any. I rounded the ingredients. I don't want to claim this as my own, nor do I want to say it's someone else's recipe, since I changed it. But that was my inspiration so I'm sharing.

Congrats on your harvest.

Congrats on your bud wash.

Good wishes for your re-veg.

Nice looking buds.

I doubt you needed the peroxide in this wash. Per Doc Bud thats mostly if you have seen mold, used food safe pesticides, seen worms or boring critters (boring as in borer beetle, not boring as in school principals.) I use the 5 gallon buckets, but that is mostly because I hang dry whole stems so like the deeper buckets. Not practical for you when doing a re-veg :)

Thanks Rad! :thumb:

I didn't catch the part about when the peroxide is needed so thanks for letting me know it's optional. Next time I'll skip that part if my grow is still clean - I've only seen (& killed) a couple ants and nothing else during this entire grow so fingers crossed.

Principals are pretty boring. The only one I really remember was in junior high, and that's only because she made an announcement over the PA system every morning with some useless (to junior high kids) babble.

Chillin 2 is getting pissed, I hope.

This is the little plant I sent into flower early for lack of space. She's always had by far the best aroma of the three girls that I grew. It's a lemony-pine scent that I can't get enough of. I thought this was going to be great smoke, but never tried a sample bud because there aren't a lot. I snagged one last week and tried it out after a 3 day dry. Not very potent at all.

I remembered a post by Dennise where she said she thinks pissing off the plants toward the end can boost trichome production. I also saw a post somewhere that cutting way back on light in the final days can give 'er a boost too. I tried to piss this one off by sticking push pins through all the branches, twisting the main branch and setting the timer to 6/18. I blogged those posts for future reference if it turns out that it helped.:thumb: Probably futile at this point, but I have nothing to lose so why not!

GEDC2117.JPG
GEDC2116.JPG

Back
Top Bottom