Jinn's Coco Hempy Harem 2014

Update:
Still got the LED in there, just turned it off. Keeping the seedlings under cfls for the time being, just waiting for them to start day 1, and push out of that plug.
Im noticing my humidity is a really low, so I'm going to keep ziplock bags over the little containers to keep the humidity up.
(also, i peeked into the plugs, the CSSH is looking to be full of vigor, it's split open/shedding the helmet already and it hasn't even popped through the rapid rooter)
IMG_176817.JPG
IMG_176919.JPG

Nice tent - nice start - im here!

Ehhh I'm still liking the results of HPS. Maybe in a couple more years when the technology is better I'll switch. Until then I'm just gonna sit back, smoke a joint of my finest, and watch the progress off the LED technology :)

It wouldn't hurt to pick up 1 LED and start practicing and working on your technique now :thumb:

jinn: Thanks for the reply, I've been considering a switch to coco for my next grow (and maybe this one) as you saw in my journal, so I'm trying to get an idea how much I'll need to buy.

You're all set up for an awesome grow. Good luck brother, I'm looking forward to following along!

Nice tent - nice start - im here!
Thank you! I was surprised it only cost me 115$. Im delighted you stopped by.

It wouldn't hurt to pick up 1 LED and start practicing and working on your technique now :thumb:

jinn: Thanks for the reply, I've been considering a switch to coco for my next grow (and maybe this one) as you saw in my journal, so I'm trying to get an idea how much I'll need to buy.

You're all set up for an awesome grow. Good luck brother, I'm looking forward to following along!
I lost a little out of my buckets when i was washing it, and I realized I didn't get enough perlite, so my buckets are about 2" shorter on medium than i wanted, but oh well =p
the one small brick I have pictured does about 2.75 gallons expanded. (I ended up with about 2 1/4 because of shenanigans)
But if you're doing a 50/50 perlite/coco, one brick mixed with the perlite will fill two 3.5gal buckets with ease.
I recommend going to a local source for 2cuft of perlite (or more if its cheaper) and buying a 11kg block off coco. That way you can cut portions off of it for each individual plant you want to do. (I have a hacksaw for that purpose)

And thank you for all the kind words mate!

Looking forward to seeing sprouts :)

Not sure if the plastic coverings are really required for seeds? I was always told that sort of thing was for clones, to help them absorb moisture in lieu of roots.

In most cases you'd be 100% correct! However, my apartment has a rh of about 30%, we have to constantly put on lotion .So in order to prevent any undue stress on the seedlings, I made a protective humidity bubble with a built in label. Cheap, effective, and self contained. (as i used the same ziploc bags to germ them in)

Maybe i should consider something like this.
I struggle with low humidity at times as well, i normally counter this by foliar spraying.

its really effective when they're this small, it works with clones too using the gallon size bags, but any larger than that it gets to be impractical. Once they start putting on some size, I'll use a humidifier I have sitting around to keep the levels where they need to be.
The added bonus for me is my shower is like 12ft from my tent in a corridor, so i can just steam the shower up and turn on a fan.

I like your name Buster haha

Ha. Thanks. Not everyone catches my play on words, but it's a hobby of mine.

I'm definitely doing Hempy buckets when I begin my grow, but I have been going back and forth on whether to do it coco/perlite or perlite/vermiculite. I'll probably end up doing coco, like this one, but I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Looking good :) How far away are your cfl's? In the picture it seems like quite a bit.

thanks mate! I generally keep them a few inches away, but I raise them for picture taking because my wife cracks her head on stuff when she gets in there. so they are alot higher than standard.
Ive got them under LED light now , I kept them under CFL just until I could get them to pop their heads up.

(side note: my 6" exhaust fan seems to be a bit over powered, so I think im going to have to get myself a speed controller)

thanks mate! I generally keep them a few inches away, but I raise them for picture taking because my wife cracks her head on stuff when she gets in there. so they are alot higher than standard.
Ive got them under LED light now , I kept them under CFL just until I could get them to pop their heads up.

(side note: my 6" exhaust fan seems to be a bit over powered, so I think im going to have to get myself a speed controller)

Couple of thoughts that come to mind :
  • Antics had some problems using the led so soon in the plants life. I don't know anything about led I am learning from his experiences so maybe the cfl's might be a better choice for the first 2-3 weeks?????
  • If I were you I would not even use the exhaust fan right now :) just open a bottom flap and a bit from the zipper on top and let nature take its course for now. But having speed control might come in handy in the future because I still think that fan is going to be overkill even in the future :)

Couple of thoughts that come to mind :
  • Antics had some problems using the led so soon in the plants life. I don't know anything about led I am learning from his experiences so maybe the cfl's might be a better choice for the first 2-3 weeks?????
  • If I were you I would not even use the exhaust fan right now :) just open a bottom flap and a bit from the zipper on top and let nature take its course for now. But having speed control might come in handy in the future because I still think that fan is going to be overkill even in the future :)

Im taking your advice on the exhaust, gonna keep it off and see how things go.
As for the LED being too strong, its generally not an issue if you keep them high enough.
I also cycled them a bit, I had them under cfl for the first 9 hours, then led for last 9 hours of light. So today will be their first day 100% LED.

Update: The girls roots popped through their plugs, so I had to transplant into the 3.5gal buckets. In retrospect, sitting here and typing this out, I could've just put my coco/perlite mix from the buckets, into the Italian ice cups the plugs were in -.-
oh well, you live, you learn =p

Same drill, Ill get some pics up this afternoon, when the wife gets in the tent and goes paparazzi! hope everyone is having a lovely morning/afternoon :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom