Jon’s 3 Autoflower - 3 Pounds Attempt Grow

Unrelated Sunday Post

Sort of related. This guy was perched on one of my old pots I have yet to empty, does that count? (lol). I wasn’t sure how close he’d let me get before he flew the coop, but I managed to get this 4-shot montage of him that gets closer with each shot. He was way purty - very symmetrical design on him and very healthy little lizard. These guys do not want for food down here. Wish they weren’t so quick and impossible to capture or I’d have a couple in each tent. This really is four different pictures and is not done with zoom.

B51AF322-3491-435E-BEAF-18587281DCE6.jpeg

0C322E6A-60C3-415C-8D84-835C3279BEEA.jpeg

F03578BF-F4B2-4B56-8FCB-4C8FCBA73AEC.jpeg

D271F60E-2E90-4135-A0EC-FAE0351CC561.jpeg

I wish we had them up here in the Midwest
Nature inspires art. How many times have you seen his exact pattern used as part of an art piece? It’s way common. Wonder where they got the idea from? Lol.

Nature inspires art. How many times have you seen his exact pattern used as part of an art piece? It’s way common. Wonder where they got the idea from? Lol.

Indeed it has .. since the beggining of time.

Love that little guy!

So I raised the light. It worked. I can get no closer, but his makes a huge difference and allowed me to crank up the light to around 55-60%.

Here’s what we have now.

B7B619C8-3D24-4AF5-81FA-240CB1B9FCAC.jpeg

1463F0B1-AA12-4C4A-86A7-12278F067C75.jpeg

A1AEC2D4-2D60-440C-BE6F-B76BF38C4D23.jpeg

@Jon be sure to check the heat between top of light and inside of tent. I use infrared thermometer. Some say they have removable ballast and put outside of tent.
Thanks, good point.

Forbidden Runtz Training

Time to get going on this. For now all we did was even around and spread out branches wider, and begin to form the upper and lower ring. We’re going with a lower and an upper level on training this girl, so at the end she’ll have a big wide ring of buds all around on the lower level and either 4, 6, or 8 colas up the center (haven’t decided yet, have to see what the plant says first). This plant has some of the thickest branches I’ve ever seen. Have to be very careful on training this one.

9E419818-A1FC-4651-9A08-44D9140BE218.jpeg

Banana Sherbet

Not sure I ever showed you guys just how bad the break at the main topping point was. This is the one I fixed and somehow got away with, she now represents several of the buds on the back right side. The branch is being supported by two bamboo stakes, one lower, one higher. The break was deep. There’s a new connector type growth inside you can’t see, it looks like a light green ring/knuckle. Obviously it’s working. But man, I can barely believe I got away with this one.

0B93AED8-C9C3-4A61-9D13-371E810BAF8C.jpeg

0CF8640B-DA66-49BC-AF0B-28C6BD6AD8C0.jpeg

Melissa and Medusa
Day 23

Both girls are rocking it. Only day 23! Their feed is week four of the @Prescription Blend feed chart, with occasional amendments. I’ve gotten comfortable enough with the PB nutes that at this point I’m comfortable with knowing what and when to add as well.

For example, today’s morning feed was:
- 1 tsp. Cal Mag plus Iron
- week 4 of the PB feed chart
- 1 tbsp. Fox Farms Wholly Mackerel
- 2 tsp. Fox Farms Microbe Brew
- 3 drops MSA

I’ve found that several of the kinder, gentler Fox Farms products (from the BushDoctor line) function very effectively with the PB nute regimen. For that matter, when growing in soil with GeoFlora I use them in a similar fashion. It’s also helping me finish off all this FF stuff. Lol.

Anyway, that’s their deal this morning. Here’s Medusa (Forbidden Runtz) and Melissa (Watermelon WeddingCake).

44B65137-C9A6-4BC7-BA80-589FAF39F550.jpeg

0CF4EA7C-D356-4AA5-AB08-9FE9314B4C61.jpeg

Melissa

Overhead post haircut picture. Necessary large fan removal a few spots. Note that she’s already beyond the edges of the 30 gallon tote on the bottom. Caramba.

09188F17-1648-4251-AB15-C392593341F6.jpeg

Melissa Further Training

Topped two side branches. I top as early and as often as possible with this plant. The other two side branches opposite them will also get topped to balance it out, by tomorrow they’ll be ready. That will give us 8 lower ring colas plus whatever else from the others. May be enough we’ll see. A solid ring the size we want is 16-20 colas.

8BA4CADC-3DB2-40F7-B326-C37942C19F23.jpeg

Banana Sherbet
Day 54

Hi @Rexer - I put together this little focus piece all about your first node branch. Let’s take a look at just how useful (or not) a first node branch can be.

So here’s where the sucker begins, opposite the branch we took.

Then she goes up and all the way back to the corner until she breaks the screen in the back left corner of the scrog. Here’s what I could get of the branch headed up to the corner.

Let’s not forget that these three side branches stayed, and each is a sweet cola now.

So she goes up to the corner and then is tied to come across the back line of the scrog and end up here in relation to the scrog (see photo). The cola in question is the one on the very left of the photo frame. Think about how long of a distance this branch has now traversed - it’s by far the longest branch on the plant, and it’s not even close. If it went straight up from the base it’s almost six feet long.

Here’s what she looks like up close.

And here’s a picture of the rest of the stem above the screen coming from the back left corner.

So it’s the longest branch. Most productive? Impossible to measure but considering the cola bud plus whatever else is on her, plus her side branch colas, are all totally legit, not beyond the realm of possibility.

I think maybe sometimes the first node can indeed be quite a good node to keep, it just depends on the plant. I’m glad I kept it on this one.

Forbidden Runtz
Medusa

Looking better after a haircut. These damn thick, giant, oily fan leaves are awesome but also a pain in the ass. They generate significant water. Gotta stay on top. This opened her up a lot.

F336E51A-776A-473B-8D32-6EC505E19FA2.jpeg

Banana Sherbet
Day 54

Hi @Rexer - I put together this little focus piece all about your first node branch. Let’s take a look at just how useful (or not) a first node branch can be.

So here’s where the sucker begins, opposite the branch we took.

Then she goes up and all the way back to the corner until she breaks the screen in the back left corner of the scrog. Here’s what I could get of the branch headed up to the corner.

Let’s not forget that these three side branches stayed, and each is a sweet cola now.

So she goes up to the corner and then is tied to come across the back line of the scrog and end up here in relation to the scrog (see photo). The cola in question is the one on the very left of the photo frame. Think about how long of a distance this branch has now traversed - it’s by far the longest branch on the plant, and it’s not even close. If it went straight up from the base it’s almost six feet long.

Here’s what she looks like up close.

And here’s a picture of the rest of the stem above the screen coming from the back left corner.

So it’s the longest branch. Most productive? Impossible to measure but considering the cola bud plus whatever else is on her, plus her side branch colas, are all totally legit, not beyond the realm of possibility.

I think maybe sometimes the first node can indeed be quite a good node to keep, it just depends on the plant. I’m glad I kept it on this one.
Now that's how you sway my opinion. Great job documenting it Jon, I truly appreciate it.
Now the conundrum- if she wasn't a monster of an XXL genetic- would the energy that she put in growing that six feet of branching for one cola, be better served elsewhere?
I'm open for discussion on it- cause truly I don't know. But I thought it might be a good point to talk about.

I may have to try topping only on a plant to see myself if I get less or more.

I'm really glad that you kept it, I love learning from my mistakes, and you've certainly given me something to think over for my methods moving forward.

Interesting. It’s only 15 minutes since I took all that growth, and in that short of a time, doing nothing else differently, the RH in the tent is down approximately 7 points. Wow. That much less transpiration and water generation.
Hey buddy sorry I fell behind, hit a speed bump.
That pkg should b there any minute.
I've got 300 messages to check. :rofl:
I'll catch up soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom