Just getting started

Welcome aboard

Read
Read
Read

Then read some more

Tons of how to grow threads and stickies here...just start here

Start with only one or two plants.
Decide which method you wish to use, like Coco or other hydrosoil, regular soil, or Hydro, or a Living Organic Soil.
Whether you want to bottle feed or go organic amendments.

Arguably a Living Organic Soil is both the easiest and produces the highest quality and in the long run even the cheapest.
So IMO is a no brainer but to each his own.
I would use Fabric pots as they are far superior to a plastic bucket, produce a much larger and healthier root system, far less likely to over water.

Dont try growing a 4+' tall plant in a teacup.
The larger the pot, the more soil, the more root tips the larger the buffer zone you have for problems.
If you go soil then do a Living Organic Soil and don't touch any bottled nutrients.
If you want to do bottled nutrients then best to go with coco.
With coco a 5 to 7 gallon fabric pot is fine.
Living Organic Soil No-till you need at least 15 gallon fabric pot.
Or you can do the Super Soil version in a 7 to 10 gallon fabric pot.

Another hydroponic media is peat/perlite. I use 7-10 gallon pots, flush with nutrients once a week, and water once or twice moderately during the week. Anything bigger than 10 gallons and I can't lift it when it's wet. Pro-Mix and Sunshine are both top shelf commercial products. I've had good luck with Sunshine, it is extremely simple and bottled nutes are used. I use General Hydroponic brand. Outside, I grow in the ground, organically.

Welcome aboard

Read
Read
Read

Then read some more

Tons of how to grow threads and stickies here...just start here

While doing all that reading remember to take notes. Real easy to do with a computer by just copying to a word processor. Plus, copy over the URL for threads you find interesting. That way you can refer back to something you remembered reading but don't remember where you read it.

Oh, don't forget to that note taking. Once you are started make notes of what you did and the date. You would be surprised at how easy it is to forget when something was transplanted or fertilized or whatever. It happens to all of us.

Enjoy your day.

Welcome,Barbarajean, to 420 !
Do you have seeds yet?
There's basically 4 types.

Bagseed (free seeds found in a bag or jar of pot)-free,but unpredictable...

If you're going to buy seeds: (recommended-they're worth it)

Regular photoperiod seeds- could be male or female, need 12/12 light cycle to flower.
Feminized photoperiod seeds- guaranteed to be female, need 12/12 light cycle to flower.
Auto seeds- will flower without adjusting the light cycle,come in feminized and regular.

If you read through some journals,you'll find folks growing all 4 types.
Like Chris said...read, read,read !
Good luck to you,whatever you decide to start with- Glad to have you with us!

Will just add my welcome to the excellent advice you've received from other members already. There is a ton of great resources here, so spend lots of time exploring the different forums. The journals by other members are an awesome place to start - find one that is most similar to what you have in mind by way of growing medium and/or lights. You might even find a journal where someone is growing the same strain that you are thinking about.

There are also really interesting sub-forums on topics like hydro, coco, hempy, outdoors, etc.

If you have any specific questions, just ask, and someone will be along with advice or a link to help.

Good luck!

I live in Tennessee and I am just getting my license. Any advice?
How to best get started

I echo the reading part, my suggestion to guide your reading a bit is what do you want at harvest? Are a couple of ounces OK or are you looking for poundage? I think that will guide some of your choices. I am relatively total noob also after considering so many possible methods of growing I went simplest for me.

That was coco but I started with General Organics Grow Box. Personally that confused the heck out of me, next time I just used the 3 part GH. And the Hydrogard which I am not certain of it's benefit. I have yet to try soil as hydro sounded like a faster result. I am probably not motivated enough to attempt soil yet but believe that would result in a better cleaner end product. Who knows maybe I can order some soil now for October or just panic & rush w / coco again.

My problem with reading too many other methods it's like chasing a shiny object...you have a good outdoor grow season if that's allowed I would take advantage of it. You can continue to amend it & not have to deal with nutes as mentioned earlier.

With indoor restrictions Coco has been awesome, last summer I had to go away for like 4 days late summer heat. I just soaked them down like nobody's business & they looked a bit tired but just barely. Now I would just put the clothe pots in a container with water. Coco as weed is pretty forgiving & you can get quite great success indoors. Just my $.02

But just deciding to go Coco lead me down rabbit holes, drip to waste, water flush until correct PH etc. I just did modified drip to waste hand watered & minimized any dripping to waste. The only real flushes were when I got too happy with nutes wanting to make my plants bigger stronger. Less is usually more, that I read everywhere!

Best of luck to you oofa I just did couple droppers GD and think I recall you are growing autos, sorry for the drift. Certainly read how to get the best yields with Autos. Training is something that IMO is well worth the effort auto or photo period. Also don't just read the seed banks info look for auto specific grow journals at least for these.

Best of luck!

That was coco but I started with General Organics Grow Box. Personally that confused the heck out of me, next time I just used the 3 part GH. And the Hydrogard which I am not certain of it's benefit. I have yet to try soil as hydro sounded like a faster result.

Best of luck!
I don't know about coco, but Hydroguard is a must with any reservoir type. One case of root rot late in bloom will convince you.

As far as GH nutes, I use them including the 3 part, silica, and the Florolicious grow/bloom as they all contain N-P-K. The suppliments aren't needed. Add a little BT every 2 months.

Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom