JZ's Shootout: Part Deux

"...no room in my garden anymore for anything not thriving. I'm finding that coddling weaklings and runts only wastes my time and efforts."

When the good shepherd abandoned his sheep to go find little lost lamby-pie,
the wolf pack flocked 'em good & propa. That's the real story.

You never fail to amaze me with just the 'propa' replies, sir! :bravo:
I tried coco once, a semi abortive attempt that only enhanced my reputation as a plant murderer - I think this time I'll do a wee bit better. Thanks for your continued support, friend. :Namaste:

Hey JZ...Sorry it's been a while but been real tied up for the Holidays. Best wishes for a Happy New Year & hope you're feeling better! :high-five:
Thanks, brother! I'm getting better, lots of people at work are going through the same stuff too. Can't help but pass it around - especially the close confines of the cube farm. Hope your holidays were filled with love, peace, and green! :love:
Preach it brother!!!

:thumb:

Isn't he (Propa Gator) just sooooooo....? *sigh* :circle-of-love:

JZ,
I haven't tried the coco husk or cubes for growing, I have been sticking with the botanicare coir and it is delivering great results so far. I may even try to wash and reuse some for the next grow. The stuff is cheap, but they say it will be good for up to three years--so I'll give it a try.

I started culling runts after my third grow. I wanted to keep everything, but after trimming them up and netting less than a gram per I decided to get rid of anything smallish now and let the stronger ones have the extra real estate.

Well, I'm loving coir so far, it's like how SPAM is meat, yet, not meat - acts like dirt, but ain't dirt. None of the drawbacks, and guess what? No insects! :thanks:

I'm too lazy to take any pictures, and work has been busy as hell with the start of the new year, so maybe a photo update in a few days or so. Thanks for hang out with me, people.

:bongrip: - JZ

Hi JZ,

Just a fly by to say Hi. Happy New Year. Hope you're feeling better.

:peace:

"You never fail to amaze me with just the 'propa' replies, sir!"

Flatterer! What's to be of my modesty, if ever I find some again?
You do to my ego, what propa PE buds do to my head, nicely :adore:

I run crops of 8 identical(hopefully) plants. I simply snip & stick branch ends into wet coco.(period)
No shaving, no concern with embolisms:rofl:, no cover and no fungus-promoting 'misting'. My success is nearly 100%, but I cut 9 to get 8:
000_1758.JPG

Which one gets deselected? The big one, lower right. It will be beheaded, and urged to become a replacement bonsai cutting donor. It will live it's useful life in a 5.5", 2 liter pot which fit 8 to a tray.
Those pots are 3.5" squares which fit 18 snuggly to a 1020 tray. A full tray can be moved/carried without drama because it has trussed strength; it's the geometry. These here are ready to go.

Oh, give me a home where my MJ is grown, and fear of DEA goes away
Where seldom is heard a loud-spoken word, and my cat mostly sleeps all day

I run crops of 8 identical(hopefully) plants. I simply snip & stick branch ends into wet coco.(period)
No shaving, no concern with embolisms:rofl:, no cover and no fungus-promoting 'misting'. My success is nearly 100%, but I cut 9 to get 8:

[gorgeous picture]

Which one gets deselected? The big one, lower right. It will be beheaded, and urged to become a replacement bonsai cutting donor. It will live it's useful life in a 5.5", 2 liter pot which fit 8 to a tray.
Those pots are 3.5" squares which fit 18 snuggly to a 1020 tray. A full tray can be moved/carried without drama because it has trussed strength; it's the geometry. These here are ready to go.

:adore:

000_1758.JPG

Hi P-Gator,

Absolutely love the poem :rofl: one of your best to date. :thumb:

Great setup... but I'm confused, I need clarification... what's a 1020 tray? Are you saying you pack 8, 5.5" mom's or 18, 3.5" clones into this 1020 tray?...what do you flower in?

Hi P-Gator,

Great setup... but I'm confused, I need clarification... what's a 1020 tray? Are you saying you pack 8, 5.5" mom's or 18, 3.5" clones into this 1020 tray?...what do you flower in?

Those rooted cuttings(you may call them clones, for clarity) sit in a flimsy, cheap 10" X 20" tray. Trays once(not long ago) cost a dollar, and are widely used in the nursery trade. Consolidating groups of plants with 1020s helps bring order to my somewhat chaotic grow. 5.5" X 2 may sound an inch too big but they fit perfectly, as designed. Same with 3.5s, as you can see in that photo. 1020 Flats & Trays | McConkey Co makes the best IMO, in USA of recycled waterbottle PET. Difficult to find retail, and cases are kinda large, but the"square one" is on my list for an upcomming 2 liter SOG grow, Gator style.

If you(or anybody) need more data, PM me; this thread is not my soapbox.
Thanks Jozo-Sha, for your indulgence :)

My poor attempt at a limerick:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jozo's frustrations with dirt
left his poor ego all hurt
till he tried coco coir
his jaw hit the floor
as his babies displayed a growth spurt!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Those rooted cuttings(you may call them clones, for clarity) sit in a flimsy, cheap 10" X 20" tray. Trays once(not long ago) cost a dollar, and are widely used in the nursery trade. Consolidating groups of plants with 1020s helps bring order to my somewhat chaotic grow. 5.5" X 2 may sound an inch too big but they fit perfectly, as designed. Same with 3.5s, as you can see in that photo. 1020 Flats & Trays | McConkey Co makes the best IMO, in USA of recycled waterbottle PET. Difficult to find retail, and cases are kinda large, but the"square one" is on my list for an upcomming 2 liter SOG grow, Gator style.

If you(or anybody) need more data, PM me; this thread is not my soapbox.
Thanks Jozo-Sha, for your indulgence :)
PG,
Just checked out that site. These containers look like a perfect fit for a coco-coir SOG grow:
McConkey rEarth True 1020 6 pack- 6 cell Insert

JZ,
Glad to hear things are heading the right direction for you!

I saw them(cell inserts), but couldn't see any advantage. I have a dozen 'square ones', and like their capacity, quality, and versitality. For a pittance extra, they'll make them a light color like terra cotta that I can write notes on with a felt pen. Problem is the shipping, which is more than the pots. I hesitate and scratch myself :hmmmm:

Emulation is the most sincere form of flattery, JZ. Too, it's a cute piece :thanks:

Girls looking a bit Ca/Mg starved, I forget coco's affinity for those particular ions - dosed the reservoir (6 gallons currently) with 5ml/gallon of Cal-Mag. The big change was yanking another runt, and with a wild hair running rampant in my nether regions, I took the 5 days unwatered and cast off dirt plant, washed her roots of as much soil as possible and potted her in coco.

4 of 4 autoflowering 'Cate Harrington' seeds have popped too, and using the same "wicking" methodology, I have four 5.5" plastic pots in a 1010 tray, and I merely filled them with coir, put them in the tray, and filled it with RODI until the coir was moistened - that was about a day and a half. I soaked the seeds for 24 hours, then planted them in the coir. They're looking good, and I'll does them with Ca-Mg water once they're a bit bigger.

My roommate is chastising me for not having a TDS meter, so I'll solicit recommendations here :Namaste: Too lazy to take pictures tonight, but one of the Grape God x Big Bud plants is growing like a.....well, a weed! Be well, friends.

Those are the ones, thought they would be an easy solution and an alternative to 2 ltr bottles (I don't drink soda).

I saw them(cell inserts), but couldn't see any advantage. I have a dozen 'square ones', and like their capacity, quality, and versitality. For a pittance extra, they'll make them a light color like terra cotta that I can write notes on with a felt pen. Problem is the shipping, which is more than the pots. I hesitate and scratch myself :hmmmm:

Emulation is the most sincere form of flattery, JZ. Too, it's a cute piece :thanks:
The key is to get your local shop to stock these and they will be able to reduce the shipping cost by ordering multiple items at the same time. I think they would be a good setup for a SOG in coir grow, just water the tray and let them wick up what they need. I have so many ideas bouncing around my head, I'll have to log this for a future grow/experiment.

Greetings all,

Since I'm not an expert whatsoever, and I allowed pride to previously result in dead plants, I'll ask for a diagnosis now.

Shame on me for not having a TDS meter - I will remedy that this weekend, however, no one chimed in with any recommendations. I'll use the 'search' feature as I so often preach.

Grape God x Big Bud (unknown sex):
Part_Deux_-_38.jpg

Wonder Woman:
Part_Deux_-_39.jpg

Unknown Paradise Seeds Strain (this was the previously mentioned neglected dirt plant):
Part_Deux_-_40.jpg

Grape God x Big Bud (unknown sex):
Part_Deux_-_41.jpg

The burning on them was from my previous stoner moment, and subsequent over-nuting - since amended. And yes, I know, I need a TDS meter. The unfortunate side effect of white balanced LED shots is that the color isn't really true. I may need to also invest in some full spectrum lighting for shots in the future.

The 4 'Cate Harrington' AF's:
Part_Deux_-_42.jpg

And the whole shebang:
Part_Deux_-_43.jpg

Any input, criticism, advice is surely welcome from this side of the journal - I'm asking for help. :Namaste:

JZ,
My best guess is a N, P, Mg and Fe def. I am basing that off of several symptoms. The Newer growth looks like it is has P, Fe and Mn, def and the lower leaves look like some N def.

The leaves that are curling down look like possible over watering.

Do you know what the pH of your feed nutes and then the run off is? Are you starting with tap or R/O water?

If this was my grow, I would give them a good flush with pH'd water and then start them on veg nutes at about 2/3 strength with a few drops of ST.

No SteveHman, I am a sinner of the worst kind. I have no meters at all. I've been starting off with RODI, then adding 5ml/gallon of Cal-Mag. These were in 1/2 strength veg nutes, until I screwed the pooch and over nuted them.

I know also aeration of the reservoir tends to cause iron and calcium to precipitate out of solution, so that could be key too -- I wonder if coco coir with OC+, and just RODI might be the way to go with this set up. Lord knows it's been one failure after another, ever since I harvested the SAGE oh so long ago.

Dude, get yourself a good PH meter and use it! IMHO, it's the most important piece of equipment you can have when growing MMJ! :Namaste:

For more info on importance of PH, see my "Top 5 Lessons..." link in my sig.

I would up the cal/mag.....5mg/gal for the RODI and some extra for the coir. Maybe do 10 mg for a week, then drop back to 7.5 mg/gal?

Back
Top Bottom