Landrace Genetics 101

Hey I realize I'm hugely late getting to this party but I have to say this may be the best thread on 420, that a long with Tengwena's cob thread, Thank you Conradino. Weaselcracker you are so right about the indica invasion, I noticed in the mid-eighties when hybrids were becoming more prevalent the high from weed did change, and in my opinion not for the better, not as clear anymore. I can tell almost immediately when I smoke it if there's indica in it; there's a kind of foggyness I didn't notice before (except for Moroccan or Lebanese hash which we always said had a body stone) and I grew up with the typical sativas Mex, Thai, Jamaican, Colombian and finally when I moved to Africa lots and lots of South African matakwane. So I'm stoked to have read about someone else with the same experience.

I'm sixty-two and I remember what weed was like before so now I try to grow only sativas. It's a labour of love as they do take longer but the high is unparalleled. My favourite is Reunion Island Zamal. It is like a pharmceutical grade mood-enhancer with perfect clarity. Anyway, glad to have found this thread - it is super interesting.
Welcome to 420

Baglung Nepali Sativa repro

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 052.JPG

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 057.JPG

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 061.JPG

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 072.JPG

Chocolate Thai: early flowering (day 14 from flip)

Chocolate Thai: early flowering (day 14 from flip)

NICE!
Looking forward to seeing your progress on these

I know this has been covered somewhere before but is there anyone who knows about Himalayan weed. I've noticed many who say Himalayan looks like a sativa but has indica effects. Is there anyone who has had a real sativa experience with Himalayan weed. I used to smoke Black Nepalese Temple Ball hash back in the day and it wasn't like other hash, it was super strong with a more up high. The reason I'm asking this is I plan to breed a fast maturing sativa from a fine tropical sativa with a faster flowering Baglund. Any thoughts on Himalayan weed? Thanks all.

Hello Zembretti!
Looking forward to seeing your cross I would love to see some pics.
Here are various pics of it from planting to recent with my early smoke report from another thread on 420 mag "Canadian Growers Group":

Although it is still too early to harvest I decided to preview vape a small bud from my outdoor, organic Purple Satellite and Zamaldelica X (Durban Poison x Big Freeze). I microwaved each for a minute until barely dry and tried them on consecutive nights using my Volcano dialed to 350 degrees.

350 F. Volcano vapour reports:

Two nights ago I tried the very sticky Purple Satellite bud, a cross of Baglung Himalayan and Mexican Oaxacan '79, it immediately gave me this warm feeling from temple to temple like the after-glow from good sex; it's a clear high (my favourite type) and I felt a real lift in my mood, with lots of peace, happiness, contentment and positive energy, kind of a gem of a high. One other unusual thing about this bud is I found an immature green seed that was huge! It was easily twice the size of a regular pot seed. I think that is a trait of Himalayan weed - one of its parents. My own Himalayan Kuamoni seeds (unrelated) are that big too, in fact they're the biggest seeds I've ever seen, so maybe some recessive Himalayan gene showed up in the Purple Satellite cross I made three weeks ago with the Zamaldelica.

Last night I did the small bud of immature Zamaldelica X (Durban Poison x Big Freeze) and it was altogether different. The bud itself wasn't very sticky and when I vaped it in the Volcano I just didn't seem to get much of anything as its THC content is still relatively low, so not a lot of vapour, I vaped some more and waited. Yeah, this one is defintely a creeper high so common with some sativas, like Haze strains. It took a while but I realized I was very high. It's relatively clear, intense and somewhat trippy, it was perfect for watching a history documentary about Meso American temple building narrated by Robbie Robertson. I could think clearly when I concentrated, but I often got side-tracked on peripheral thoughts and more than once I had to play back parts of the documentary cause I tripped out and lost where I was in the show. Cripes, when this bud is fully mature (fingers crossed the weather holds) it will be an awesome and super trippy experience.

Both were really good in their own ways and neither caused any raciness or paranoia. I really think The Purple Satellite will be a favourite of mine and I will breed F 2s. Next year I will grow 3 or 4 Purple Satellite F1 plants and hopefully have a male and female for breeding F2 seeds.You can't go wrong with such an early maturing sativa bud, I highly recommend it. And I will continue my other Zamaldelica crosses to refine those wonderful Southern African sativas I love until I get something that matures quickly by mid - autumn, great for Canadian outdoor growers, and has the clarity I enjoy so much.

Purple Satellite and New Caledonia.jpg

Purple satellite June 20 2021.jpg

Sept 6, 2021.jpg

Purple satellite Sept 25,2021.jpg

Sept 21 21 Purple satellite.jpg

Sugary Swollen Calyxes Purple Satelite 2021.jpg

Nice job Zembretti!
Wow amazing grow/smoke report and great pictures of your garden. I have been keen on seeing how people run the purple Satellite It should become a very stable IBL very swiftly because of her stable landrace parents. Really looking forward to your progress.
Thank you so much Tropics, I feel a little embarassed, I didn't realize you were the one who created Purple Satellite until after I read parts of this long thread. You do great work, Sir! In my smoke report I left out the aroma of Purple Satellite which is often described as cherry-like; mine was like sage crossed with grape Kool-Aid. The taste was gentle and if I remember correctly a bit cedar-like. That's the beauty of terroir, as the French say. Here at 50 degrees north in the BC interior the soil is very much on the alkaline side, but cannabis seems to like it. I'm currently growing in my vegetable garden directly planted in soil two other Himalayan crosses: Nepal Jam and Bangi Haze. I tried both of those too in my vaporizer. The Nepal Jam was amazing: lots and lots of vapour for an immature bud and the high went on for hours, clear and happy. That is a special one too, but does take longer to mature than Purple Satellite. The Bangi Haze needs way more time and the high was not as spectacular, but time may change all that as the buds mature. Thanks again.

it immediately gave me this warm feeling from temple to temple like the after-glow from good sex; it's a clear high (my favourite type) and I felt a real lift in my mood, with lots of peace, happiness, contentment and positive energy, kind of a gem of a high.

I grew the PS a couple times and this description is spot on! I also agree with the sage/Kool aid aroma!

Making GRAPE
Oaxacan Gold purple line by Nepali Sativa
Purple Satellite! first picture
Carrying seed X IBL Mendo Purple line.
Green Mountain Grape!
Not exactly a Landrace but a cross of two landrace knocked up with an Heirloom.
ACE SEEDS!

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 004.JPG

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 010.JPG

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 038.JPG

MAKING GRAPE AND NEPALI REPRO 019.JPG
Hey tropics, good to see you around. Grown a few of your strains - trying to find space for your mountain Gold.

Any new drops coming up?

Hey tropics, good to see you around. Grown a few of your strains - trying to find space for your mountain Gold.

Any new drops coming up?
Hey Medman!
Just running new Purple satellite seed, Green mountain Grape and Zacateca Tribute.
First two pics are green Mountain Grape Coming in from Sept 15 to Sept 21 and Last Zacateca Tribute coming in Sept 25 Photographed here Sept 4th.

raw (6).jpeg

raw (3).jpeg

raw (2).jpeg

raw (5).jpeg

Back
Top Bottom