Landrace Genetics 101

A pure sativa that doesn't show signs that the trichomes change I'll chop as soon as I see 5% amber. Again that's just me
Hello šŸ‘‹

5% Amber Trichomes? So basically when amber dots are just scattered here and there?

šŸ™

B
Hello šŸ‘‹

5% Amber Trichomes? So basically when amber dots are just scattered here and there?

šŸ™
I can't calculate a percentage. I just look at several buds and if there's amber in every frame I look at or most of them, I figure that's good enough. 5% is probably amber dots here and there. But keep in mind that just touching a trichome can cause it to turn amber. So zoom in on a few of them and make sure they're not damaged before counting them as amber. Top buds are probably the worst, because those are the ones I'm touching and sniffing.

B

I can't calculate a percentage. I just look at several buds and if there's amber in every frame I look at or most of them, I figure that's good enough. 5% is probably amber dots here and there. But keep in mind that just touching a trichome can cause it to turn amber. So zoom in on a few of them and make sure they're not damaged before counting them as amber. Top buds are probably the worst, because those are the ones I'm touching and sniffing.
perfect šŸ™

thank you šŸ¤™šŸ»

Pistils are one of the signals but I mostly go by how they look and how they feel. If they feel full, look like the caylax's are swelled up and how the scent is. Also they will start to slow down on the drinking the last week or so.
I've been growing Africans for at least 20 years so for me it is second nature.
I often take a small bud from somewhere in the middle. Dry it up at about 40 degrees c and roll it up. It doesn't taste great but you will get an idea of where you are potency wise. Keep in mind the end result will be about 5 times stronger and better than a Quickdry sample.
But yeah, if those were mine I'd be snipping some samples.
Please let us know here how you did and how the buds turned out
I'll almost always harvest sativa with fresh pistils. But about 80% brown and receded is a good guide that your window is opening. Then it's like 3 weeks maybe 4 and your window for what you want is gone.
was thinking more about you saying you have grown Africans for 20 yearsā€¦

If you do not want to answer, totally cool. Is it a personal preference for the ā€œbuzzā€? Or it does it do what you need to happen to your body, pain relief, neurological issues, etc? Or likely, because it makes you feel better so it just became your preference over timeā€¦

I have some form of an auto inflammatory/autoimmune disease, in short, I feel like I inhaled toxic fumes, then wrecked a car at 80/90 mph, 24/7.

I am still learning, thus far Blue Dream & Berry White have made me feel the best and most ā€œnormalā€, I purchased BAM purely off its report, sounded like a miracle. It zaps pain, sickness, and inflammation, however, the really ā€œgoodā€ feeling from something like Blue Dream is absent. I combo 25% of my blend with super high CBD flower.

I am on the hunt for something like Blue Dream or Berry White, but with 28% + THC. I tried Bay Dream, seeds did not germinate šŸ˜– Tempted to try again, but would almost rather find another landrace, something like BAM, but with the sensation of BD or BW.

Anyways, thanks so much šŸ™ šŸ¤™šŸ» šŸŒ±

B

a bit of information: when trichomes start to "go" amber that change at the rate of 5% per week FYI

I grow and breed landraces from Africa and I'm in Cape town South Africa.
I have tourettes syndrome and pure sativas are my medicine. Only thing that really helps.
KwaZulu landraces I find to be great pain treaters.
Wife gave birth twice with just some infused oil rubbed into lower back. Both times at home. Both with little pain. The BAM should give similar.
All just my opinion again. Other strains might be better for others

I grow and breed landraces from Africa and I'm in Cape town South Africa.
I have tourettes syndrome and pure sativas are my medicine. Only thing that really helps.
KwaZulu landraces I find to be great pain treaters.
Wife gave birth twice with just some infused oil rubbed into lower back. Both times at home. Both with little pain. The BAM should give similar.
All just my opinion again. Other strains might be better for others
šŸ™ I am so blown away by the genuineness of every person on here šŸ™

Yeah, the BAM is the most intense pain killer I have found. I guess due to the insane inflammation in my body, I get the shakes really bad, BAM seems like it goes straight to my DNA, thats the only way I can explain it. Shutting off pain, and the sickness that causes it, from before wherever it is in the chain of my body.

It is truly fascinating to experienceā€¦all while doctors canā€™t find out what it is exactly, or how to treat it, or the what/why/where/how/ with cannabis in the body.

Hello everyone šŸ‘‹

Pretty new here. I am growing a landrace from Africa, Black African Magic. I have grown and harvested two, the third is near harvest.

According to the seed bank, this strains flower stage is 7-9 weeks, however, the first two and third were/are all nearly 5 1/2 monthsā€¦And I am certain they were still ā€œgreenā€ when harvested.

I am curious as to what you all see/watch for regarding long flowering landrace strains? The first two plants had no detectable change in trichome color or clarity, no amber either, pistils were dark brown on top and receded at harvest. I have read that for some landrace strains that are long flowering, the trichomes never change, and you go entirely off pistils.

Attached are pics as of today. Yes my pictures suck. Yes this plant experienced nutrient burn. Yes I was sad when this happened.

Thanks everyone šŸ™

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3378.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg

IMG_3371.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg
Hello everyone,

I replied to the last post so there will be an easy side by side for photos.

This plant is now in 10/14 light, one week at 11/13, hoping one week at 10/14 and harvest main colas.

Pistils on what is the lower plant and oldest branches and buds have started to nearly all brown, are starting to recede. Buds on what is the top of the plant still have some white and are standing straight out.

Trichomes are still exactly the same, look like little mushrooms made of
crystal clear water.

Would love your thoughts.
IMG_3525.jpeg

IMG_3526.jpeg

I've been following the when-to-chop discussion and apparently I chop sooner than others would. I'd have taken it down last week or earlier. :cheesygrinsmiley: I haven't piped up because you say that the trichs aren't turning color and as long as they aren't deteriorating, you're just gaining more fresh trichs and that's all good, so ...

My plants tend to go into second and third blooms, sometimes with foxtails, sometimes just a fresh spurt of new calyxes. So when they look mature, I'll wait a week or so to see if they'll extend the bloom. But yours shows no sign of another bloom phase.

If you're wavering, heck, chop it. :thumb: She looks done to me.

:Namaste:

Based on your original posting and additional research, I took a close look at BAM as it sounded interesting. 6-8 weeks of flowering for a pure Sativa confused me. I saw reports of others saying it went 12+ weeks. I think you said 20ish, etc. I have also seen it listed as an Indica. Go figure.

When in doubt - contact the provider. First, they did have it listed under the placeholder image as an Indica. They'll fix that. 2nd, the 6-8 week flowering time is from flower initiation, not total time from flip. 3rd., one person responding said it goes 16 weeks. Another said they had grown it 3 separate times and its 12 + weeks. Wish breeders would standardize the definition of "flower time"....

Still sounds interesting....

Based on your original posting and additional research, I took a close look at BAM as it sounded interesting. 6-8 weeks of flowering for a pure Sativa confused me. I saw reports of others saying it went 12+ weeks. I think you said 20ish, etc. I have also seen it listed as an Indica. Go figure.

When in doubt - contact the provider. First, they did have it listed under the placeholder image as an Indica. They'll fix that. 2nd, the 6-8 week flowering time is from flower initiation, not total time from flip. 3rd., the person responding said they had grown it 3 separate times and its 12 + weeks.

Yeah, it never looks like a landrace to me. :hmmmm:

But if it's from the mountain forests, I can maybe understand why it's so compact, unlike all the other Africans I've seen and grown. I checked what I could find online and no one has suggested that it's not the real thing though. Doesn't matter I guess. Come to think of it, Lilly (Congo) was pretty dense.

:bongrip:

This could be THC with no to little cbd. High THCV . Either way it's been a lifesaver for me.
You can read any journal in my signature for Africans.
Cheers
I've been following the when-to-chop discussion and apparently I chop sooner than others would. I'd have taken it down last week or earlier. :cheesygrinsmiley: I haven't piped up because you say that the trichs aren't turning color and as long as they aren't deteriorating, you're just gaining more fresh trichs and that's all good, so ...

My plants tend to go into second and third blooms, sometimes with foxtails, sometimes just a fresh spurt of new calyxes. So when they look mature, I'll wait a week or so to see if they'll extend the bloom. But yours shows no sign of another bloom phase.

If you're wavering, heck, chop it. :thumb: She looks done to me.

:Namaste:
Thank you šŸ™

Please do not be afraid to send info my way. Yeah the trichs haven't changed one bit, I am nearing 5 1/2 months šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

The plant is still chugging water, buds are still growing, and some pistils ate still white.

There is an entire second eco system beloe as well šŸ‘€

When in doubt - contact the provider. First, they did have it listed under the placeholder image as an Indica. They'll fix that. 2nd, the 6-8 week flowering time is from flower initiation, not total time from flip. 3rd., one person responding said it goes 16 weeks. Another said they had grown it 3 separate times and its 12 + weeks. Wish breeders would standardize the definition of "flower time"....

Crazy right?

Yeah, I am certain the supply has never grown this.

6-8 weeks isnt even close šŸ¤Ŗ

However, the last two BAM plants were INCREDIBLE šŸ‘ŒšŸ» So, I know this will be worth the wait.

But if it's from the mountain forests, I can maybe understand why it's so compact, unlike all the other Africans I've seen and grown. I checked what I could find online and no one has suggested that it's not the real thing though. Doesn't matter I guess. Come to think of it, Lilly (Congo) was pretty dense.

Hello,

This is from the congo. I did LST, it stopped producing nodes at 26 i think, right when it starting creating pistils, i switched to 12/12, and it went banans.

I will post a pic of the stock asap. it is a sideways S basically.

If I would of had the space I bet the plant would of been 8-10 feet tall. The branches all with colas are 50 + inches long, all tide down.

wellā€¦At least the supplier said it is Black African Magic, and is from the Congo that isā€¦

Wish breeders would standardize the definition of "flower time"....

Do you flower under a fixed 12-hour per day darkness schedule? If so, begin counting days from the first day of 12:12. Count them until the last day of the stretch phase. Multiply that amount of days by 1.5.

The result is how many days you have left, lol. See "40:60 rule of flowering cannabis" (plant stretches for the first 40% of its total flowering period). Personal preference can change one's harvest date, of course, if a person chooses to not harvest at the point of peak potency. But it's usually a pretty good way to predict the harvest date. The reverse holds true, as well - if you already know the total flowering period, you can multiply that number by .40 and it'll tell you how many days you can expect the stretch phase to last. Which is useful if you have low ceilings and are beginning to worry that your plant is going to grow into the light before it stops stretching. However, this does require one to actually know the length of the flowering phase (which generally means it's usable by people who keep mother plants and have already flowered one or more clones - and they're going to already have experienced the stretch with that line, lol, so...).

EDIT: If the gardener screws around with the lighting during flowering - e.g., changes the number of hours of darkness, modifies the spectrum, or increases/decreases the amount of light, I wouldn't expect the above to hold true.

Those bud pics make it look done to me. Pistils, resin, shape and density of buds all factor into it. For me, I smoke the damn thing and make my judgement on that. If it smokes good and does not look done, well I simply do not care.

I never wait for amber resin anymore, and I do recall some strains where the resin would just stay clear for the longest time. I run many different strains always looking for the next big thing, so I do not want to waste time.

I usually use the formula: resin beginning to get cloudy. Also a third or more of the pistils turning color. Some strains will have regrowth several times. It is up to you if you want that all that regrowth or not, for me no.

Do you flower under a fixed 12-hour per day darkness schedule? If so, begin counting days from the first day of 12:12. Count them until the last day of the stretch phase. Multiply that amount of days by 1.5.

The result is how many days you have left, lol. See "40:60 rule of flowering cannabis" (plant stretches for the first 40% of its total flowering period). Personal preference can change one's harvest date, of course, if a person chooses to not harvest at the point of peak potency. But it's usually a pretty good way to predict the harvest date. The reverse holds true, as well - if you already know the total flowering period, you can multiply that number by .40 and it'll tell you how many days you can expect the stretch phase to last. Which is useful if you have low ceilings and are beginning to worry that your plant is going to grow into the light before it stops stretching. However, this does require one to actually know the length of the flowering phase (which generally means it's usable by people who keep mother plants and have already flowered one or more clones - and they're going to already have experienced the stretch with that line, lol, so...).

EDIT: If the gardener screws around with the lighting during flowering - e.g., changes the number of hours of darkness, modifies the spectrum, or increases/decreases the amount of light, I wouldn't expect the above to hold true.
Yes, I am familiar with this method and I often use it.

When I said ā€˜standardizing the definition of flowering timesā€™ I meant that most breeders state the ā€˜timeā€™ from switch, not the onset of flowering. Iā€™ve not seen many breeders/seed shops use the ā€˜onset timeā€™ but when they do it can be confusing. If everyone did it the same way-standardized one method or the other-then it wouldnā€™t be an issue.

When I said ā€˜standardizing the definition of flowering timesā€™ I meant that most breeders state the ā€˜timeā€™ from switch, not the onset of flowering. Iā€™ve not seen many breeders/seed shops use the ā€˜onset timeā€™ but when they do it can be confusing. If everyone did it the same way-standardized one method or the other-then it wouldnā€™t be an issue.

If I were crowned semi-benevolent dictator of this particular universe overlay, I would request and require that "official specification" flowering period run from the first day of 12-hour dark period (because this has become the most commonly used flower phase light/dark schedule, and because it's a concrete, easy to date "event" - even a half-blind newbie who isn't entirely sure what a cannabis flower looks like can still write "changed timer setting" on a calendar, lol), and end when the greatest percentage of flower trichome heads have become cloudy. And with a plant that was mature enough to actually flower in the first place. Want to harvest at a different point, fine. Want to roll the dice and see if a primal sativa will produce another wave of flowers and allow you to end up with a larger number of cloudy-headed trichomes, that's okay, too.

I know that, if I'm at Mom's house (she has an oven)... and have doctored up a cheap frozen pizza with chopped onions, banana and serrano peppers, and a blend of mozzarella/provolone/Romano/parmesan/fontina/asiago cheese to make it seem less like the cheapest factory-produced three-meat pizza I could find that week - that I'll be happiest with the results when I bake it for a few minutes longer and turn the thermostat up 50Ā°F about six minutes before I plan to turn off the oven and pull the pizza out. And, yes, I arrived at via experimentation. But it was "based" on the official directions. And I know that if I follow them (with an unimproved pizza), I'll be able to harvest an edible product that is at least done.

I wonder if the practice of picking some point past when the lighting is adjusted - and then, oft times, being very optimistic :rolleyes: - started when a lot more people began buying seeds... and a lot of them were impatient, lol. I still remember when Nevil Schoenmakers stated that individual plants of his haze that flowered longer than 16 weeks would probably not be of interest to commercial growers. Or something like that. I had one that flowered for something like 143 days :rofl: (bit more than an eight week stretch). It wasn't exactly the most productive line I'd ever grown - but the buzz was nice. Anyway, several years later, you could buy from a number of vendors via the Internet instead of having to find an ad in a magazine - and people started griping about strains with twelve-week flowering periods. And when someone b!tched on the Internet, by the time you could complete a sneeze there were 64,738 people agreeing, posting the same kind of gripes, or reposting the original one. "Hey, our kooshtiva supremo has a ten-week flowering period, and it's like a sativa!!!!!" Probably sold all they could sling out the door.

IDK. I'm not as optimistic about things as I once was. Maybe they just spin a wheel, and see what number comes up.

Back
Top Bottom