It's a 3x4 closet good tip on running at night! Thanks

You are correct there are only 2 fans but I believe they switched the power supply to one that pushes more power to the fans so they used 1 less

I hope the output at the top isn't sucking air out, as the top part of LED's suck air in (opposite direction) and blow it out the side vents where the warm air comes out.

Yesterday's temps high of 81 hottest day I've had since setup..

outdoor is the closet indoor is ambient in adjoining room lights off during the day and they run at night

I feel I did good the high was 81 for the outside temp.. My adjoining room hit a high of 73 degrees. And the grow room hit 80! That's only 7 degrees difference!

High temp 8pm two hours after lights on
AAEE50BE-301D-4792-A90F-A3E6653B816A_zpss1v1tq2u.jpg

Lows taken this am 1 HR before lights off

62F1E6B1-8563-419D-B07D-376823CEB053_zpsghiypm7q.jpg

Gregormendel,

Seems like great news then? I know part of your concern was what would happen when warmer weather arrives. I understand your indoor/outdoor readings from above, but am thinking your unlikely to let the future indoor (real rest of house) temp get much higher than the 73 high from above. Even if you let it get to 76 or so, your closet should probably stay in the low-mid 80's range which is completely acceptable. Are you thinking the same?

Yes that's what I'm thinking as well.. I guess only time will tell how hot a 105* day will raise the temps in my house.. I think for now I will stick with the 4 inch fan and see how hot it gets once the heat comes and add a mini split or some other form of cooling for that room once I know how bad it is!

In the mean time I'll probably do a grow journal and review the 192x5 let you all know how it goes!

Thanks for all the help more opinions are always welcome along with tips on how to beat the heat! ;)

Another way to beat the heat is to use a cycle timer. Say three to four minutes on, and then same period of time off. The concept works with light rails, where plants cells charge up during the strong light period and carry on as if it's still there during a very short dark period. The power consumption will also halve. This is the type I use successfully, ' CT-1 Digital Adjustable Cycle Timer '.

Warning: For LED lighting only. Not to be used with any HID type lighting.

I'm in Socal too, and don't have central AC. To combat the summer temps I run my LED's at night, and they are off during the day. This helps not only keep the tents cool during the warm summer months, but also when the temps drop at night the heat from the lights helps warm my room :)

I also make sure to have constant airflow in my room that my tents are in and I do this by putting a 20"x20" box fan in the window blowing out, and leave a window open in an adjoining room. This helps to cycle the air in my apartment which keeps the temps normalized. The only thing that is a drawback to this is I have to clean more often because with the constant air circulation and draw from outside, it gets much more dusty.

Hope this helps.

If that is a CLW led light. You won't need to attach vents to the light housing. As JuanC stated, once that closet has life in it, it will absorb and use some of heat,humidity,air etc and bring your space into reasonable ranges.
Then when ya add ventilation and some air circulation across the canopy, you'll see how she registers. That particular model won't raise your temps more than 7-8 degrees over ambient, with air circulation and a 6" inch fan (or 4" will possibly suffice as you are in a closet.)
I have 2 of the smaller models in veg I have to turn my circ fan off just to get temps into low 80's. And keep Rh elevated. Looks like you have more than enough light for the space. IF it's the light I think it is.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

It's a 192x5 reflector with 5 watt chips. I run a 4 inch fan. Easily raises temps 15 degrees with a carbon filter attached and the bloom switch turned on..

I got paranoid and went to home depo to pick up some insulation and gorilla tape and built myself a box

I did a write up on how it works over in the DIY SECTION
image398.png

image8707.jpeg

PRETTY IMPRESSIVE!
This is with the light in veg mode own that I have plants in there, bloom runs about 2-3 degrees hotter but this thing works! This temp was at 6:30 this morning when I woke up. The light had been on for at least 18 hrs
image8749.jpeg

Yea I thought it was different.. This is imported from China, so probably not the greatest but it's only $320 for some pretty good light spread. So far I'm happy

lowest I have gotten is 69/77 with the cool air blowing over the fans with no carbon filter and the exhaust hose positioned just below the height of the light if I have my filter attached they can easily hit 85 at 70 degrees ambient

What that tells me is that your fan is not strong enough for the application, lol. It is unable to perform adequately when your carbon filter is attached because it can not maintain its rated airflow under load. Many fans are rated at no load - adding a load (in the case of exhaust fans, restriction) will adversely impact a fan's effective CFM number unless it is rated to handle a suitable load.

When you calculate the size of fan that you need for your space, I'd add at least 20% to it for the carbon filter. Or get a fan that is rated to move your calculated CFM under sufficient load to not "wimp out" when trying to overcome an air restriction.

The closer your grow room temperatures are to your ambient temperature, the more air you will have to move in order to achieve significant cooling (real-world translation, lol: the hotter it is where you are pulling the ventilation air from, the more of it you'll have to move through your grow space).

You might wish to step up to a 6" fan/duct setup.

Back
Top Bottom