LED - HPS - Or Both?

Newtons

420 Member
So I am fairly new to the growing community and thinking about starting a 2x2x4 Grow tent with 2-3 Plants, Max. I want to be very precise on the lighting to have a successful harvest although I am kinda torn between two options. I have been told to use LEDs as well as HPS. From what I have heard, LEDS are great in the veg stage but for flowering they aren't nearly as productive as HPS. I have also heard that LEDs can be perfect for flowering as well. Any suggestions on whether to use LEDs, HPS, or both? Also, If I were to go one LEDs only or HPS only, what Wattage would be best suitable for a 2x2x4 Area? Thanks is Advance!

With a small tent like you're planning on running, I would suggest LEDs. Mostly for heat control issues. LEDs are perfect for flowering as long as you have the right light density. U/mol per meter squared is the measurement you want to look at. It takes around 500u/mol just to get any kind of growth. Shoot for 1500 per meter squared. My pick for a wattage on an led would be either 2 300w panels or one 600w. What ever will get you closest to the 1500 number.

There is a third choice, COBs. I've used all three and the COB lights use less electricity the the blurple LEDs, produce less heat, are individually adjustable for each plants height. And the frost was phenomenal too. Photos in my journal are all linked to larger versions and the COBs have been in use since last Oct, drop in a have a look. ;)

Hi Newtons,

Check out one of the following - both have the same performance, one comes ready to hang, the other just needs a frame. Both have great amounts of power output for a 2'x2' area - PPFD exceeding 1000 µmol/m²s:

200 Watt Vero29 V7 (2) COB Grow Light Kit
Model 2VL

Any questions, happy to answer them for you.

Have a great day.

Thanks,
Dan

I'd go with mh/ hps. At least you know what your getting. There is alot of variables when it comes to led. A cheap hps will out perform any cheap led. Just do yourself some research before you buy any light. Amazon has good reviews

Always a debatable topic on lighting. Your gonna get a lot of mixed replies because everyone has there own experiences and preferences. I personally start seedling under led and early veg. Then I put them under my hid lights and they explode with growth.

I'd go with mh/ hps. At least you know what your getting. There is alot of variables when it comes to led. A cheap hps will out perform any cheap led. Just do yourself some research before you buy any light. Amazon has good reviews
Any specific wattage for HPS you think would be best for my size tent?

Always a debatable topic on lighting. Your gonna get a lot of mixed replies because everyone has there own experiences and preferences. I personally start seedling under led and early veg. Then I put them under my hid lights and they explode with growth.
That's what I have noticed. It's made looking for lighting a bit difficult because there are so many options and even more reviews on what to use and not to use.

I have run MH/HPS, cheap burple leds and medium priced ones too...IMHO I would use both. 150w HID and 300w LED. The wattage on most 300w Leds is nowhere near 300, but with that and the HID, you should have great results.....unless heat is an issue...then you might not have a choice. You need to move a bit of air to cool a HID compared to LED. Good luck!

Using both hps and led is amazing . Buy that lil tent would be hard to keep heat down . Led hps grow right there
849ca324147c67c65ef27c7ea6d66a0a.jpg

My concern is heat from HID in that tiny tent.... And I would suggest 1 or 2 plants honesty. But as far as LIGHTING I agree with Jesse that 2 mars 300s for 120 bucks would kill it for you in there. But if you can spend 200 bucks you can get 4 Quantum board 132s and a driver. Arguably the best lights on the market and at a price point that's near impossible to compete with

My concern is heat from HID in that tiny tent.... And I would suggest 1 or 2 plants honesty. But as far as LIGHTING I agree with Jesse that 2 mars 300s for 120 bucks would kill it for you in there. But if you can spend 200 bucks you can get 4 Quantum board 132s and a driver. Arguably the best lights on the market and at a price point that's near impossible to compete with
Well it's actually a 27"x27"x64" tent which I know still isint substantially bigger but eh. I can vent it too no problem if that's what needs to happen

So either get 2 300w mars or wait and get a quantum. If I put it off a few days I can afford the quantum. Or get a 400W HID. Like I was saying if I were to do HID can vent but I would guess the heat would be pretty up there although using HID would probably be better in the long run for flowering huh?

We're can I find that brotha

If you get a 6" hood with a online fan you can move a lot of air per minute and keep your temp down. Below 85 and you're good. I run 2 1000w and stay in the low 80s. No issues with heat stress ever

If you get a 6" hood with a online fan you can move a lot of air per minute and keep your temp down. Below 85 and you're good. I run 2 1000w and stay in the low 80s. No issues with heat stress ever

How much do you think it adds on to the electric bill? Over 100? If I were to go with a 400W

Back
Top Bottom