LED vs HPS

well, it's cool to share opinions, we don't alway shave to agree with them, but I respect yours, and am not on a mission to change your mind, after all, a man forced to change his mind against his will is off the same opinion still - just keep an eye on the journals, next weel I'll have 485 actual watts of LED, and I expect to blow my previous 600w HPS harvests out of the water, and god damn, I love my HPSs, it was a hard decision to let them go :Namaste:

GEDC06932.JPG
GEDC06903.JPG
GEDC06892.JPG
GEDC06872.JPG
Thanks engineer for being decent, I'm not trying to say ones better than the other. Just variances, its a tradeoff I think. I went a head n went n snapped a couple pics in the dark. Enjoy!

I'm a hardcore HID kinda dude & never missed an opportunity to get on the soapbox.

I'm doing a side by side w/ HPS vs LED. Same setups.
Under both LED & MH at the same time, in 3 hours every single plant was leaning towards the LED fixture.

I'm still in early-ish veg, but it's looking good so far. It's the $ still throwing me off some.

ban this fool :)

Well, if you don't grow scrog style, LEDs apparently do not have enough penetration power. Thus, loss of yield. As with most things, it depends on your growing style. I have been doing a lot of research on LEDs and while they are undoubtedly the most efficient lighting, they're really only better for small/short plants or scrog style growing. I was very disappointed to learn this, as I was really wanting to switch to LEDs. But I have no interest in scrog, I like my style, I don't have height restrictions and most of my girls are 4' or taller, since I grow a lot of Sativa dominant strains.

lol where did you get that from? I've got taller plants now than I have ever had under HPS, with buds forming the length of the colas instead of just little groups, penetration simply isn't a problem, look at my journal, or better, curso's - he's got a 7 foot plant under a P450...

lol where did you get that from? I've got taller plants now than I have ever had under HPS, with buds forming the length of the colas instead of just little groups, penetration simply isn't a problem, look at my journal, or better, curso's - he's got a 7 foot plant under a P450...

I asked smokesara. I was thisclose to buying the Mars II. She said that I would need supplemental lighting with plants as tall as mine. I was disappointed to hear that. Since she works for Mars Hydro, I appreciated the honest answer.

@ PlatnumLED, I can't afford to spend $539 per light, that insane! Now, if I were in CO or WA and had a business, I could always take out a loan for the $1,500+ I'd need. Alas, I cannot. My kids need food and clothes, not to mention braces (they cost even more than new lights! LOL).

I am wondering if I can use both.... Maybe keep my 400's and ditch the 1,000 watt. I was running CMH's in my 400's until Philips discontinued them and I ran out of my extras.

I CANNOT afford $539 for ONE light, let alone upwards of $1500 for 3. Wish I could! How do you think the Reflector Series from Mars Hydro compares? They are 3 watt diodes and I think they have the lenses, too. $225 per, I could swing, if I replace 1 at a time!

Thanks! Will do. I am actually looking at Twight Groups lights. They seem slight more reasonably priced. So, now I shall hunt down specs and see how the compare.

Thanks! Will do. I am actually looking at Twight Groups lights. They seem slight more reasonably priced. So, now I shall hunt down specs and see how the compare.

Good light for the $, but keep shopping. I have the Spider COB. I need like 2 more.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep looking, but it is looking like I'll have to start saving and plan on waiting until after Christmas so I can go for top quality! Bummer! Haha, my Hubby says I should ask my Mom for a P450 for Christmas! LOL! Now,if my Dad were still here, I'd ask him.... He'd absolutely LOVE that I'm growing. My Mom, not so much...

Thanks for the info! I'll keep looking, but it is looking like I'll have to start saving and plan on waiting until after Christmas so I can go for top quality! Bummer! Haha, my Hubby says I should ask my Mom for a P450 for Christmas! LOL! Now,if my Dad were still here, I'd ask him.... He'd absolutely LOVE that I'm growing. My Mom, not so much...

Hey MsBotwin! We just PM'd you but then realized afterwards that you don't have PM ability due to post count. If you'd like, go ahead and give us a call at the number listed below. We'd love to see this as a success story and get you the light you need. Let's see what we can do..

-Mark

Back
Top Bottom