LED vs HPS

Hey MsBotwin! We just PM'd you but then realized afterwards that you don't have PM ability due to post count. If you'd like, go ahead and give us a call at the number listed below. We'd love to see this as a success story and get you the light you need. Let's see what we can do..

-Mark

I will do so tomorrow! I am very much appreciative of your help! I am well aware (now), after my research that there really isn't a LED system better than yours, that'll work FOR ME. I am not really willing to change my "free-style" grow practices. My ambition is to become a known breeder. That requires much flexibility... Possible Mamas and Papas get grown various ways, with purposeful stressors...l I need lots of freedom to experiment. Based on my research, I think you guys meet what I need. I do try to save where Opi can, but when you can't... Well, you can't! That just means DELAYED gratification! But, I understand enough to compare specs and see where I need to go to switch over. I might not like it much, but I CAN wait if that's the only good way to go!

P.S. I'll get to a local Internet cafe this week to post pics.... I don't post much here cause the Hubby is waaaayyyy paranoid... It's easier to just agree not to post pics...from HOME! But, now that I have something to contribute in exchange for what I ask for, I want to contribute... And actually follow up what I'm reading

When comparing LED vs HPS/CFL/MH, it's really important to keep in mind that all LEDs are not created equal. That's true of other lighting types, but not as drastically. There are a lot of cheap "get-what-you-pay-for" lights out there. Keep in mind that a 50,000 hour light relying on a fan to keep them cool that dies after 5,000 hours is a 5,000 hour light, and Watts of power is not necessarily equal to growing power. The efficiencies of the actual LEDs can vary pretty drastically depending on quality, wavelength and temperature management, not to mention that fans are using Watts of power and creating no light. On top of that is the effectiveness of the light spectrum and how efficiently the light is delivered and distributed to the plants.

The LEDs I'm most familiar with use serious passive heat sinks instead of fans and phosphor down-conversion of high quality blue LEDs to generate a broad grow spectrum instead of a collection of different wavelength LEDs to piece together a spectrum less efficiently. It also delivers the light without the directionality of a bare LED which can be a big advantage depending on the grow setup.

As others have said, lumping new, quality technology like that with even 2 year old technology or something for 1/3 of the price leads to the drastically different answers to the same question of how LEDs compare to something else.

When comparing LED vs HPS/CFL/MH, it's really important to keep in mind that all LEDs are not created equal. That's true of other lighting types, but not as drastically. There are a lot of cheap "get-what-you-pay-for" lights out there. Keep in mind that a 50,000 hour light relying on a fan to keep them cool that dies after 5,000 hours is a 5,000 hour light, and Watts of power is not necessarily equal to growing power. The efficiencies of the actual LEDs can vary pretty drastically depending on quality, wavelength and temperature management, not to mention that fans are using Watts of power and creating no light. On top of that is the effectiveness of the light spectrum and how efficiently the light is delivered and distributed to the plants.

The LEDs I'm most familiar with use serious passive heat sinks instead of fans and phosphor down-conversion of high quality blue LEDs to generate a broad grow spectrum instead of a collection of different wavelength LEDs to piece together a spectrum less efficiently. It also delivers the light without the directionality of a bare LED which can be a big advantage depending on the grow setup.

As others have said, lumping new, quality technology like that with even 2 year old technology or something for 1/3 of the price leads to the drastically different answers to the same question of how LEDs compare to something else.

Yeah, I'm getting that, too! Thanks for the input! I was meaning, $120 was a lot for my little 3 x 2 new clone/seedling area. HD a T5 28 watt(I think) light there before the LED, which for the area covered, wasn't cheap. Plus, if's just for the first few weeks! My main veg area has a 354 watt T5 fixture, plus an intermediate area (meaning plants should be under the bigger lights, but room is scarce, atm!). That area is also 3 x 2, but with more height. There I have 4 26 watt CFLs.

Hey Icemud, how many plants under that net of yours, Whats your usual dry yield from this system ? Thanks in advance

31 Days flowering.... Looks like my Yield is going to be fine!

DSC08871.JPG
DSC088701.JPG
DSC08869.JPG

Hey Icemud, how many plants under that net of yours, Whats your usual dry yield from this system ? Thanks in advance

That grow was a total of 6 plants... and the yield on that particular grow was 310g or .59 grams/watt

Here are all my grows and the final yields... some were grown in scrog like the photos, some were grown normally with training.

Grow 1: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 574g or .57 grams/watt
Grow 2: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 547g or .55 grams/watt
Grow 3: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) No Yield Data (Powder Mildew took over)
Grow 4: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 325g or .33 grams/watt
Grow 5: 580w (400w CMH + Mars II 400w) Total yield 245g or .42 grams/watt
Grow 6: 540w HID (3x Mars II 400w models) Total yield 308g or .57 grams/watt
Grow 7: Under 300w (2x Intelligent Gro, GEN1, 180w each on dimmer) Total yield 191g or .63 grams/watt
Grow 8: 3x Intelligent Gro, GEN2, 180w draw each, Total yield 367g or .70 grams/watt

Grow 7: Under 300w (2x Intelligent Gro, GEN1, 180w each on dimmer) Total yield 191g or .63 grams/watt
Grow 8: 3x Intelligent Gro, GEN2, 180w draw each, Total yield 367g or .70 grams/watt

Wow.. super cool info to see all at once.

As far as your techniques and strains.. how did they differ from one grow to the next? Were you always mixing strains on each grow?

Hey thanks a bunch for the response, I see a great trend in your growing, moving nicely toward 1 gram per watt. Soil or Hydro ? and what size area were you growing in and illuminating ? Once again man , thanks in advance

That grow was a total of 6 plants... and the yield on that particular grow was 310g or .59 grams/watt

Here are all my grows and the final yields... some were grown in scrog like the photos, some were grown normally with training.

Wow.. super cool info to see all at once.

As far as your techniques and strains.. how did they differ from one grow to the next? Were you always mixing strains on each grow?

It was always 6 plants, different strains, so the exact correlation between the numbers is only a average based on the strains grown. The numbers are more of a personal reference for me than anything just to sort of set a goal to always try to beat. Techniques between grows have been pretty much the same for all of the grows where only slight adjustments in soil or nutrient regiments have been done. As far as grow style, its either been scrog or growing the plants under a 2-3 month veg before flowering with training like LST, topping and supercropping.

So as far as a data point between grows, its more of a reference and there are many variables that may effect the totals however for the most part they grows all seem to be relatively close to each other in GPW.

Hey thanks a bunch for the response, I see a great trend in your growing, moving nicely toward 1 gram per watt. Soil or Hydro ? and what size area were you growing in and illuminating ? Once again man , thanks in advance

Your welcome,

My grows are all soil and each grow is done in a hydrohut silver 2x4 tent which actually measures 2.5'x5'x7'.

HPS are in a league of their own, LEDs are OK, but you won't get the same yield.

I get far better results with my Mars pro LED lamps than I did with HPS. The plants look more healthy, the buds more dense and they grow faster

I get far better results with my Mars pro LED lamps than I did with HPS. The plants look more healthy, the buds more dense and they grow faster

I think LED technology has come quite a ways since the last post in this thread which was almost 2 years ago. Along with depending on your grow area and medium etc... there is a lot of variables involved.

I love my LED's I don't think I'll ever go back to any HID type lighting, I use my CFL to get them started and then transfer to my tent with my trusty Mars 192 reflector. Just be sure to add CalMag since they seem to do far better with it under the LED. I like that with the LED they target specific wavelengths also, instead of just using tons of visible light, far more efficient!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

:cheer:More LED grow lights,more nice buds.
I love my LED's I don't think I'll ever go back to any HID type lighting, I use my CFL to get them started and then transfer to my tent with my trusty Mars 192 reflector. Just be sure to add CalMag since they seem to do far better with it under the LED. I like that with the LED they target specific wavelengths also, instead of just using tons of visible light, far more efficient!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

:rollit:My past experience is that HPS/MH grows more plants by covering more plants adequately and slightly better yields per plant over LED or T5FL. However , I agree that the Led lights are getting better and the right products may outperform in many ways HPS/MH. It may be in the spectrums covered and quality of the fixtures. That Led lights are more efficient per lumen is without question. I might add that for entry level home growing T5 light fixtures in the 330-440 watt range are sufficient for growing decent auto flowering plants with fairly efficient energy consumption. They emit comparatively little heat, have adequate lumen output, are cheaper and grow only slightly less dense and large buds on plants grown closely and directly under the fixture. No need for an expensive set up , just a $15 Walmart/Target fan and a light timer, the fixture and some reflective foil surround. Many aspiring growers are short of funds and can supply their own needs quite well with good quality smoke without breaking their bank account. My pick would be to experiment with the higher quality LED products if my budget allowed it right now. I have had good results with my older low end LED fixture on plants directly under with good coverage by the fixture(limited grow area for optimum results, similar T5's ). There is no question that an entry level HPS/MH fixture will grow excellent and large buds ,with good coverage per lumen to allow possibly more plants when using a 600-1000 watt fixture. You will have to worry more about heat, odor, fire potential and operating cost. That's the fun of it-experimenting and testing the final product! The auto flowering plants are so easy and not fussy at all, you can't go wrong with any light system that is sized to your grow. Growing full sized or feminized plants, the MH/HPS have worked well for me, but the cost per plant is high and the grow set up/ care more demanding. That is the nature of the size and time to maturity of the plant along with it's more fussy nature about dark/light cycles and intrusions on them. I enjoy reading all the various experiences and results of all you folks!

Great thread ladies and gentlemen. We just switched from hps to led. I should have possibly done some more research but still have not found anything definitive for either light. We grow in a 4x4 (ish, a little smaller) scrog. I was sick of replacing bulbs, and then I had a couple of ballasts die so we decided to go with a mars II 900 to replace my 1000w hps. I looked at a couple different web sites and one claimed the 900 led could replace up to a 1400w hps, yet the other site claimed only a 400w hps. either way, that is what we went with and replaced both 1000w hps with 2 mars 900's. I just harvested my first led plant last night. Over all I am happy with how the plant looks and how dense the buds seem, total weight will be a factor for sure. I have one plant under each light and have ranged from 12-26 oz in a single harvest but always different strains under the hps. Only time will tell if the led's will compare and as I say, it is a different strain all the time so it is hard to compare. Thats my 2 cents... happy growing.

Mars II 900 can replace a 450w HPS,the coverage is 3.5'x3.5'.:high-five:
Great thread ladies and gentlemen. We just switched from hps to led. I should have possibly done some more research but still have not found anything definitive for either light. We grow in a 4x4 (ish, a little smaller) scrog. I was sick of replacing bulbs, and then I had a couple of ballasts die so we decided to go with a mars II 900 to replace my 1000w hps. I looked at a couple different web sites and one claimed the 900 led could replace up to a 1400w hps, yet the other site claimed only a 400w hps. either way, that is what we went with and replaced both 1000w hps with 2 mars 900's. I just harvested my first led plant last night. Over all I am happy with how the plant looks and how dense the buds seem, total weight will be a factor for sure. I have one plant under each light and have ranged from 12-26 oz in a single harvest but always different strains under the hps. Only time will tell if the led's will compare and as I say, it is a different strain all the time so it is hard to compare. Thats my 2 cents... happy growing.

Back
Top Bottom