Looking for advice on using the big leaves to replace tobacco in joints

DeadHeadTed

420 Member
Hay everyone :)

Im in the middle of pruning off the big leaves so the energy goes to the bud sites etc and i'd like to keep hold of the big leaves, dry them out "enough" so they are still moist enough so they burn slow enough to replace tobacco in joints. I don't want to dry them out totally because they will just be brittle etc so looking to keep some moisture in them :)

I was thinking to let them dry for a day or two and then when theyre at the dryness im after transfering them to air tight jars for later.

Whats people thoughts? :)

Thx for ya help :)

Jar them with Boveda 62 packs. :thumb:

Here is some info on curing your leaves - How do I properly dry and cure my harvest? - Page 2

Anyone ever worked on a Tobacco farm back in the day? I am using a drying and curing Tobacco analogy to describe the same process for Marijuana. On a Tobacco farm, the tobacco is cut in the field (late September) and hung upside down in a barn loft. It will hang there for a couple months and sell before Christmas. :) A barn has plenty of air circulation. It gets cold during Oct, Nov, Dec. There's night and day... :) There's snow and rain, etc.. :) Whether you grow Marijuana in soil or in Hydro, the drying and curing process is the same as Tobacco. With Tobacco, the main thing is to keep a check on it and make sure the leaves don't dry out while it is curing. When the leaves start dying out, it's called "going out of case", which means your leaves are drying out, but the stalks are still green. If the leaves dry out, it will basically turn to dust. Just as with Marijuana, your buds will dry out and turn to dust while your stalks are still pliable. You don't want that to happen. The tobacco farmers take a clean garden sprayer with water and go in the barn and "MIST" not WET, but "MIST" the tobacco so the humidity stays in the tobacco leaves while the stalks are curing. This is called putting the tobacco "into case". Anyway, it's basically the same thing. Of course, all these you-tubes and websites want to sell you something. You have to keep Marijuana leaves "in case" so they don't completely dry out and turn to dust, while your Marijuana is curing. You don't want to freeze your Marijuana. Whether your growing in soil or in hydro, the drying and curing is the same. Unlike a barn, you have more control over a room. Get your supplies together. Room Fan, Room Humidifier, Humidity and Temperature Monitor, as well as a Garden Sprayer, Mason Jars, Q-tips. My suggestion would be to trim all the water leaves off and trim the bud before you cut the stalk. Once you cut the stalk, hang the plant(s) upside down in a room. It's just easier to work with and cure that way and less risk of mold and mildew. If your water leaves and bud are trimmed before you cut and hang it, there's plenty of air circulation on the plant. The Room fan is NOT blowing on the plant(s), but just circulating the room air, so put the fan in the back of the room on low speed. Keep a check on your plant(s) for a couple days and when you feel the leaves start drying a little, turn on the Room Humidifier. Keep checking. If your leaves don't go back "in case" Mist the plant(s). Mold and Mildew grow DARK ROOMS, so whoever is advising constant DARK ROOMS... ah.. NO. Molds grow faster in dark humid rooms. Turn the dam room light on. A regular Incandescent light bulb. It's not going to HURT your plant(s). Jezzus.. Turn the light on during the day and turn the sucker off at night. Anyway, Keep your room temperature cool and your humidity level enough your buds don't dry out. If you will just keep a regular check on them, you will learn about what levels are good for your plants in your particular zone of the world. Just keep them steady once you find a good balance. I live in a desert, so I keep my house at my comfort zone of 68 degrees. So, that's the temperature my plant(s) have to live in or die. :)
I adjust the humidity as needed for the plants to stay in what? "IN CASE"! :) I don't know why the old farmers called it that, but that's what they called it, so that's what I'm calling it. :p :) I know what it means and that's what counts. :) Ok, so once your stalks break and not bend, the plant is cured. You can cut the buds off and put them in Mason jars. You keep a check on them daily. When you feel it's a little dry, wet a couple Q-tips and put them in the Mason Jars. I put my Q-tips at the top mouth of the jar sideways so they hold themselves in place, but don't touch the bud. They are just there to add some moisture to the air in the Mason Jar, so the bud doesn't dry out. Set them on a shelf, NOT in direct sunlight and NOT in complete dark. Just put them on a shelf or put them in the refrigerator. Hell, I've even put bunches of them (not n Mason jars) in the crisper drawer in the refrigerator with a wet paper towel to the side for humidity regulation. You just have to keep check on them. It's not going to hurt them. It's a plant or flower just like vegetables or flowers from the store. This is the OLD SCHOOL WAY I learned from REAL FARMERS. It works and it doesn't cost a dam fortune. IT WORKS FOR DONATION MMJ TOO! Everybody has their own way I guess, but believe me when I tell you that most websites don't want you to be successful unless you buying their shyt and guess what? Your still not going to be successful unless you realize it's a plant and not some woo hoo mystical unreal thing beyond your control. Just trying to help. :)

And Here - Harvesting/Drying/Curing

Fermenting in this fashion is what is done with tobacco to get a nice color and smooth, spicy flavor. Yes, it works for weed also. "Green" bud has been all the rage for decades now and that is a pity, good bud and a good cure makes for good smoke and buzz. It really has been many years since I have gotten a well-cured and fermented bag. Laws are changing and I can grow a few plants now so searched this forum for comments on this, but they are few. This is my first post here and I have a comment or two for this -

I was given a large bag of fresh leaf trimmings a few years back - one man's trash is another man's treasure. No one wants to smoke hay and that is what quick dried leave tastes like, and not very potent. Do you realize you can cure and ferment that leaf to get a nice spicy bud-like flavor and butt-kicking smoke? I am amazed people are not doing this. One reason is that it takes a little work each day to prevent mold from forming if it stays too wet, or no decent results if it dries too quick and doesn't take on a golden brown color change - green leaf will taste like alfalfa and remain quite unsatisfying.

It may take some experimenting to start getting best results. A huge bag of leaf trim can, and probably should, be split up into several batches in order to find the best results. Believe me, it is well worth doing and can be done with amazing results on plain ol' leafer reefer. The process not only improves your smoke like the OP says but it actually puts a batter kick in it. For others like me that have been toking for some 45 years, and even when smoking "the kind," miss the buzz we used to get back when ounces cost ten bucks, this is the key to it. Yeah, this will turn the world into a cartoon and you will get the "giggles" like you haven't had for ages SMOKNG LEAF!

Please, do this, try this, get good at it. What do you have to lose? Then try it with some bud. Let me know how it goes for you, please.

Back
Top Bottom