Losing My Grow Virginity

What are your plans on a bigger grow area Kyu? It's going to be sad to see the trunk go.

Well as of right now I have a zip-up wardrobe thing that you can buy at Target...its more or less a pvc shelving unit with a fabric cover. Some heavy modification would need to be done to make it work for my purposes. Plus my wife is temporarily using it to get ready for a consignment sale so I won't have access to tinker with it for at least a month. I believe these plants should make it in the trunk for that long. I have been considering picking up another LED light or two to maintain one of my autos in the krunk trunk and grow the other 4 photos in the wardrobe. I have a few sweet options as far as autos go: white widow fem (x3), purple kush fem (x2), and quick one fem (x1). The closer it gets to Paige and Aliyah getting too big for the solos the more serious I will consider the wardrobe option.

Night 20 "Things" update:

Well the Things are showing signs of having gone through hell and back but they seem to still be in this fight! Thing 1 took the heftiest beating since having root damage from the transplant, being drowned and parched, and then getting nuked by nutes in soil that is already rich. Thing 2 is almost the exact same size as Thing 1, (especially since I pinched some of older dead true leaves) but both are showing nute burn. I wouldn't be at all shocked if after surviving all of that and presenting their sex as females that they hermied on me.

Thing 1
T1n20.jpg

Thing 1 profile
T1n20sideview.jpg

Thing 2
T2n20.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night 2 for the new girls:
One a positive note Paige and Aliyah are both quite eager to grow up! Both pushed through the soil and almost completely shed their helmets. The hygrometer is showing a much higher humidity and the temps are a bit more swing than I had last hygro picutre, however yesterday the temps were even a tad worse. I switched my timer setup to have both the exhaust fan and light on the same timer. I also temporarily pulled out my hurricane clip fan because it seems as though the girls don't really need it. It is easier to contain the light, warmth and humidiity with the trunk lid almost completely shut as opposed to gaping open.

"Paige" Power Flower Fem
paigen2.jpg

"Aliyah" Ace Mix Fem
Aliyahn2.jpg

Hygrometer
hygron20.jpg

Here we go on the next crop of victims... Lol... I'm sorry :)

We'll all make sure that these little sprouts make it to harvest. Good luck Kyu!! Let's get it done...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Ps. I've lost many a seedlings due to numerous reasons, it happens. No worries! :)

Week three for Thing 1 and Thing 2

No change from last night. It had been about 4/5 days since their last watering so I gave them a good soak. They each got about 700 ml of filtered and bubbled water which I realize is a lot but this soil is super permeable and they have been demonstrating that they are drinking it and it may help to dilute the hot nutrients in their soil.

Here is night three photos of our newest babes Aliyah the Ace Mix seed and Paige the Power Flower.

Aliyah
AliyahN3.JPG

Paige
PaigeN3.JPG

I will be adamant to make sure that these girls do not get water logged and I will not give them any nutes until at least week three, and it will be my diluted to 25% strength of what fox farms recommends. The only nutrition they may receive other than water is possibly cal-mag if they are showing signs of deficiencies.

I will try to have these girlies stay in their solos until I can see roots in the drain holes. They have much more growing medium than their elder siblings, The Things had to work with. They also have the added benefit of having Daddy mess up on the older siblings really badly the first time around so Daddy will be sure to be extra cautious with these ones.

Sorry for Things Kyu, I hadn't realised they were that bad last time I posted... but this kind of stuff happens all the time, specially when we're starting. I hope they can recover but if not, at least you got some experience with the old seeds and the new (and expensive) ones will surely benefit for it! :Namaste:

Sorry for Things Kyu, I hadn't realised they were that bad last time I posted... but this kind of stuff happens all the time, specially when we're starting. I hope they can recover but if not, at least you got some experience with the old seeds and the new (and expensive) ones will surely benefit for it! :Namaste:

My thoughts exactly. I am sad that they Things took such a hit but you live and learn. Plus I would rather it happen to the bag seeds than to ones I paid for for learning experience.

Thanks I will give the teepee method a shot.

Going forward I think I will limit my updates on this journal to improvements made to the box or plant progress. Expect to see me update it once or twice a week and once I have private message priveledges I will try to have most of my questions that way or searching around on the grow forums.

I want to avoid flooding this journal with a ton of newbie questions to keep it interesting to follow!

I know this was quite a way back, but it prompted me to comment. Your flood of newbie questions takes your grow journal from simply being a documentation of your grow to an educational resource for another newbie cultivator coming up behind you. The questions and the wealth of information in the provided answers are a big part of what will make your journal good reading. Trust me on this. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Unfortunately, I need to get back to the work at hand, so I won't be able to catch up. The comment on Noob's journal about tribal dancing to germinate seeds caught my attention. :laughtwo: Before I go, I must say the trunk was a brilliant idea for a space. I haven't read through to see how well it went, but I give you my word, I have you bookmarked and I'll be courteous enough to come back later today to read through and see how you've done. :ciao:

I know this was quite a way back, but it prompted me to comment. Your flood of newbie questions takes your grow journal from simply being a documentation of your grow to an educational resource for another newbie cultivator coming up behind you. The questions and the wealth of information in the provided answers are a big part of what will make your journal good reading. Trust me on this. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Unfortunately, I need to get back to the work at hand, so I won't be able to catch up. The comment on Noob's journal about tribal dancing to germinate seeds caught my attention. :laughtwo: Before I go, I must say the trunk was a brilliant idea for a space. I haven't read through to see how well it went, but I give you my word, I have you bookmarked and I'll be courteous enough to come back later today to read through and see how you've done. :ciao:

You humble me with your presence Sue! I have read many a post regarding your sage-wisdom and reverence for the Dark Devil autos. Thank you kindly for your words of encouragement. I have found this community to be positive and highly resourceful. I am glad I stumbled onto it!

The trunk is going so-so as of right now. The temps are still within a 19 degree swing but being that the LED is in a fixed position I think this may be causing some strain on my seedlings. I would like to maintain this trunk even if it means only growing one or two great plants at a time and reserve the newer space I am considering for three to four at a time.

I appreciate you bookmarking me and always feel free to chime in whether it is a quick quip, a warm smile or even much needed criticism.

Good night five update news for the new girls is paired with sad night 23 news for the Things. Life seems to be so yin and yang with these beauties.

Lets start with the bad so we can end on a happier note.

I popped in to check on how the kids were playing together to find the Things have caught the flu! I think they have the zombie flu because they are both dying. Upon inspection Thing 1 seemed quite sickly and even the new growth was mostly yellow despite having a sturdy stem. Thing 2's older leaves were yellow and there was a small hint of newer growth coming out of the top node finally...that is until "the accident" happened. I made the clever choice to try using my razor blade to trim the dead under leaves in an attempt to give them a last ditch effort at recovering. The cutting went smoothly and then I completely broke Thing 2 away from its roots!

I know I deserve a :ban: . Thing 1 got such a serious trim it resembles more of a cactus now than it does hemp. To honor the lost sibling I stuck Thing 2 in the soil beside its twin. I know Thing 1 is most likely done for as well. You know what this means...I have the itch to pop two more seeds. I grew really attached to the idea of having four girls go at the same time, the trouble was my bag seeds were not feminized so the Things could have grown up to be Misters and I'm not quite at the stage of selective breeding as of yet. I was considering germing up two auto seeds this time...I know what you are thinking. Don't try to grow autos and photos in the same space. Well, I don't think I will (eventually). I could start them in solos next to their photo sisters and once I have Aliyah and Paige vege'd to a sufficient height, I can move them into the new space I am brainstorming up. I figure I was planning on vegging the babes at least four to six weeks regardless, assuming any LST or topping I may get brave enough to attempt work out. By this time I can have the grow wardrobe (or growdrobe) ready. I have been eyeballing some MARS 300W LED's and I was considering snagging two and mounting them on adjustable light ropes as to control the distance on plants I assume will be taller. The autos I could pretty much leave in the Krunk Trunk and simply have the lights going 18/6 or 20/4 (I haven't heard of anyone raising the cycles for flower but I may do it pre-flower) and let them do their thing in there.

I only have three strains that are auto fems: white widow, purple kush and quick one. I know the quick one is one of the original auto flowering plants and is typically a faster harvest than most with a significant amount of ruderails genetics and I believe northern lights (don't quote me on that) along with another sativa. I think I will pop the white widow and purple kush. I am leaning towards the purple over the quick one as I really like the idea of a purple plant in my garden and it is supposed to be a more hardy plant. I know it is more medium-low THC and severely indica-heavy but I am sure I will appreciate it all the same if I grow it.

Here are the sad photos of the Things so you don't think my excitement of popping autos exceeds my grief for the Things.

T1 before the trim
T1N23.JPG

T2 before the accident
T2n23.JPG

The Things after the damage
T1T2_shot.JPG

again but with my hand in the background so the camera can focus
T1T2_hand.JPG

Lets take a moment of silence to mourn the Things. They were my first seedlings though their potential will never be realized their deaths will not be in vain. I vow to not repeat the mistakes I made with my first children but I make no promise on making new mistakes as I am only human. I have much knowledge to gain from Gaia in the ways of Cannabis but I will continue with love in my heart.

On a happier note the new girls are looking good. Aliyah is growing faster than her sister but Paige is certainly looking healthy as well. Being that Aliyah is a bit of an enigma on what particular strain she is from Ace Seeds I am eager to watch her develop.

Paige Night 5
paigen5.JPG

Aliyah Night 5
aliyahn5.JPG

Before I go as far as washing out two solo cups and fill them with filtered, bubbled water and coming up with names for my newes auto fem seeds I need validation that autos are newbie friendly. The good news is I am going to have a poll right her and now.

Vote on whether the next two seeds should be:

1) Two Ace Mix Feminized photo-period seeds (all should be even sativa-indica hybrids)

or

2) a white widow auto and a purple kush auto

The Ace Mix apparently can be any combination of these strains by Ace Seeds: Congo, Bangi Haze, Golden Tiger, Malawi, Panama, Kali China, and Edy or any cross of these parents with others kushes and hazes. This is what I have been able to gather from much searching and a little guess work.

The reason I am asking for input on which two seeds is I truly cannot decide myself :lot-o-toke: Please give me your input to help me decide.

If you want an easy growing high resiliency plant I'd go for a couple white Widow automatic. Autos a great for newbies like us, we'll I guess I'm a novice now but... They are great and the only thing that is negative is yields. Although I've averaged an Oz per plant so far. With one to go. Kush is a little tougher to grow, so I'd wait on that one, and since your space is limited the moment autos would suit you well.

KiG Kyu :green_heart:cheers

Well an overwhelming number of people both on this forum and outside of it casted their vote in favor of the auto strains.

I decided to pop 1x Quick One and 1x White Widow.

This way I will have 2 white widow and 2 purple kush autos left for future grows.

I also opted for the quick one over a second white widow/purple kush due to the really fast seed to harvest times and I figured it would be cool to have a indica heavy strain in my trunk as well.

Picture updates and names for the new beauties to follow in the next coming days...

Night 9 update for the babes Aliyah and Paige:

I gave the babes a good soak of filtered then boiled tap water until there was about 15/20% runoff. This way right on the cusp of being six days out from when I soaked the soil and planted the tap roots. So far the girls seem to have responded well and have put on some growth. Aliyah is a little rock star sprouting taller and with more nodes than her sister, Paige. I noticed that one of the leaves is starting to twist and reach upwards (i'm not sure if this is called clawing or if there is a different term) but this is what both of the Things started to do before I nuked them. I also noticed that Paige is a little odd in that she has three cotyledons and her first node and the top growth are both asymmetrical. She is intent on being a unique and special power flower.

Aliyah
Aliyahn9.JPG

Paige
PaigeN9.JPG

PaigeN9_2.JPG

I wasn't sure if I should call it night 27 for the Things but technically they are just barely hanging in there. They have a stubborn resolve and have not died yet. Even Thing 2 despite the fact I completely broke its stem away from its roots. When this happened I used a razor blade to part the lower tip of the stem in four small directions and just carefully placed it into the freshly moist soil. There was no root juice or the like to be had for Thing 2 yet it hasn't shrunk and fallen over.
ThingsN27.JPG

My newest auto seeds both soaked for a little over 24 hours; the white widow tap root began to poke it little tail out but the quick one was struggling to barely crack the shell. I gave the quick one a gentle squeeze to gap the shell ever so slightly and could see the tap root happily peering through. Both of the new seeds got a steam towel spa treatment for a few days to come. I have the paper towels inside the solos that they will be planted into. The cups are sitting on a small heat pad to encourage their spa is pleasurable and comfy.

Once the tap roots reach out more I will plant the newest auto ladies in their respective cups filled with 75% happy frog - 25% perlite and about a teaspoon of dolomite lime. When *fingers crossed* these ladies break soil I will give you a lovely picture update and introduce them by name!

Last night was Night 10 for Aliyah and Page. Both girls are looking well. I also planted the new auto seeds into moist soil.

Once the newest girls both break soil I will post photos with introductions by name.

Here is the Night 10 photo to tie you guys over until then.

n102.JPG

Back
Top Bottom