Low end LEDs vs MH/HPS

HappyPots89

So I started my very first grow a few months ago. I got a 3x3 tent and I have two low end amazon 1000 watt(not actual wattage) led lights. I’m wondering if those led lights would be better or if I should get an HPS/MH setup. These are the plants after 1 month of 12/12 and I’m thinking they should be a little bit better than what they are and I’m wondering if it is my lighting. Any info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!
F09D7C89-8710-489E-8A77-8FB7A84408DC.jpeg

Generally speaking HIDs will blow away the cheap LEDs and a lot of not so cheap ones. So yes- the quality is there, as long as you can handle venting the heat they produce.

I used the same kind of lights for my first grow. They did the job, i would suggest if you continue growing you should upgrade. Its worth it in the long run. More light usually equals more bud per grow.

How much heat would a 600 watt hps produce? I’m running a 4 inch exhaust on my tent would that cut it or would I need to upgrade to a 6 inch to handle the heat? I live in northern Alberta so it gets pretty chilly here in the winter and my tent is along an outside wall of my house and I already need to run a heater in it to keep the temps around 20 degrees Celsius

you'll be fine with the hps

the only drawback is the cost. anywhere from a third to double more to run.
has been getting harder to get the bulbs, just order online if not available local.
may have to shut the grow down in summer to avoid heat issues.
may have to vent externally if you aren't already.

used to use the heat from hps in heat challenged winter grows.

you'll be fine with the hps

the only drawback is the cost. anywhere from a third to double more to run.
has been getting harder to get the bulbs, just order online if not available local.
may have to shut the grow down in summer to avoid heat issues.
may have to vent externally if you aren't already.

used to use the heat from hps in heat challenged winter grows.

Awesome thanks for the info. Thank you everyone actually. I think I will upgrade to one and if I have a heat issue in the summer I will either switch to the leds or run an a/c unit. I’m after the best yield for my efforts so upgraded lighting is a must I guess lol

Sorry to get back to you so late. When i started my first journal i was running 1 600w led, now im running 2. Click the link below to see my journals i always record my temps. My second journal is a review on a led light. I grow in a 7x4x7 DIY tent

Sorry to get back to you so late. When i started my first journal i was running 1 600w led, now im running 2. Click the link below to see my journals i always record my temps. My second journal is a review on a led light. I grow in a 7x4x7 DIY tent

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know the actual wattage of your LED’s? I’m sure the ones I have are low, maybe 100 each. Doesn’t seem to be enough to penetrate the lower growth. I’m not a very experienced grower but from what I read on here and everywhere else your lighting is the most important component to your grow. I think I will keep the leds for veg and get an hps for flowering

Thanks again everyone for all the input. As a new grower I appreciate every bit of help I’m getting here. I will be updating my grow journal today after work with updated pics and my added budget veg box I made hahaha. If anyone wants to check it out and throw any pointers my way to help me out along the way or even point out things I seem to be doing right so I don’t change them lol. I need to build up some confidence as I gain experience. Thanks again everyone. This site has been amazing in helping me get started. Everyone is so knowledgeable and willing to help out. You guys rock!

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know the actual wattage of your LED’s? I’m sure the ones I have are low, maybe 100 each. Doesn’t seem to be enough to penetrate the lower growth. I’m not a very experienced grower but from what I read on here and everywhere else your lighting is the most important component to your grow. I think I will keep the leds for veg and get an hps for flowering
You need between 30 and 50 watts per sq ft. That would mean around 350 to 450. I was in the same boat and simply added another cheap LED and it made a huge improvement for a minimal added expense. Just an option. Add it now, it is not too late. These are what I added.

You’ve gotten tons of great advice here, but I’d like to point out if anyone hasn’t already... that your electric bill will be stupid high if you plan on expanding your grow in the future. I highly recommend looking into Quantum Boards... you will get the same if not better quality then you would from HPS, and your going to use less wattage to achieve the same results.. so less money on the electric bill. HLG and BudgetLED make AMAZING boards... yes they are a little pricy but they pay themselves off with one grow... between the savings on your electric bill, yields, and quality, I don’t thinj you’d regret it. QB’s are the only way I’ll go now... and I’ve tried HPS/MH as well as cobs and nothing compares to the SMD lighting fixtures as long as you purchase the right one... there’s a lot of look alike boards out there that just don’t get the job done... I’m by no means bashing HPS but it is not efficient AT ALL. Electric bills, heating issues, reflectors, and then you have to replace the bulbs if you want it to remain efficient. That’s just my opinion... you should really think this through before you make your purchase.

EDIT: I know I’m going to get a lot of shit for this but this old belief that you need 35 watts of EFFICIENT light per sq ft and 40-50 watts of less efficient lighting per sq ft is not something I believe holds true anymore... maybe back in the HPS/MH/5-10w diode burple days but I can attest first hand that I grow monsters, with top quality and good yields and I fall FAR under what “rule of thumb” is... lights have changed so much that the old wattage rule is obsolete... I mean honestly who even measures the quality of light by wattage anymore? ... I sure don’t, it’s all about ppfd, PAR value, joules per second, foot print, efficacy... that watts just really doesn’t matter.

Example given- I used a HLG 550 v2 turned to 50% maybe 75% at its highest... that means I was only pushing 375-400 watts at most... that means I should have been running 875 watts by this rule... my AUTOFLOWERS yielded me 4.5 oz a plant, the heaviest have 6.3 oz... I have multiple examples of this... for my next run it will be in a 15x25ft room which means I would need around 13,000 watts... I will only be using a little over 3,000 watts but these are 3,000 watts of highly efficient light and I expect 8-12 oz a plant minimum... it will be a great experiment. :) I’m only bringing this up because I’m curious if anyone shares my thoughts on this? .. I’m not trying to argue or anything just wondering if anyone else has had the same thought?

I've never actually measured the exact wattage I'm pulling. it's kind of hard to say how much light you really need it all depends on your grow space, how many plants are growing, if you are able to use a trellis to space out your buds. I do believe that everyone has their particular way of making their grow work for them. And it's very easy to overthink it. I've only done one Grpw previous two my first Journal and unfortunately the result was they were all males. LOL in a way I'm glad they were males because I had a lot of close calls and learned a lot. Me personally I prefer to use LEDs because #1 they last longer #2 use less electricity and #3 creates less Heat in the tent. I'm not trying to spam on your Journal with the product I'm using, but the @Giixer like that I'm using is about $69 and has the capability of daisy chaining so if using one is not enough you could always add on. I know for myself when I was doing all this research online before I started to grow I wanted the best there was out there, from lights to medium to my tent. I realized that there will always be "the next best thing" comming out every season. find out what works for you have a good base and then hone it. Sorry for this response being so long
I do agree with @SimpleManZ420 those boards are awsome.

You’ve gotten tons of great advice here, but I’d like to point out if anyone hasn’t already... that your electric bill will be stupid high if you plan on expanding your grow in the future. I highly recommend looking into Quantum Boards... you will get the same if not better quality then you would from HPS, and your going to use less wattage to achieve the same results.. so less money on the electric bill. HLG and BudgetLED make AMAZING boards... yes they are a little pricy but they pay themselves off with one grow... between the savings on your electric bill, yields, and quality, I don’t thinj you’d regret it. QB’s are the only way I’ll go now... and I’ve tried HPS/MH as well as cobs and nothing compares to the SMD lighting fixtures as long as you purchase the right one... there’s a lot of look alike boards out there that just don’t get the job done... I’m by no means bashing HPS but it is not efficient AT ALL. Electric bills, heating issues, reflectors, and then you have to replace the bulbs if you want it to remain efficient. That’s just my opinion... you should really think this through before you make your purchase.

EDIT: I know I’m going to get a lot of shit for this but this old belief that you need 35 watts of EFFICIENT light per sq ft and 40-50 watts of less efficient lighting per sq ft is not something I believe holds true anymore... maybe back in the HPS/MH/5-10w diode burple days but I can attest first hand that I grow monsters, with top quality and good yields and I fall FAR under what “rule of thumb” is... lights have changed so much that the old wattage rule is obsolete... I mean honestly who even measures the quality of light by wattage anymore? ... I sure don’t, it’s all about ppfd, PAR value, joules per second, foot print, efficacy... that watts just really doesn’t matter.

Example given- I used a HLG 550 v2 turned to 50% maybe 75% at its highest... that means I was only pushing 375-400 watts at most... that means I should have been running 875 watts by this rule... my AUTOFLOWERS yielded me 4.5 oz a plant, the heaviest have 6.3 oz... I have multiple examples of this... for my next run it will be in a 15x25ft room which means I would need around 13,000 watts... I will only be using a little over 3,000 watts but these are 3,000 watts of highly efficient light and I expect 8-12 oz a plant minimum... it will be a great experiment. :) I’m only bringing this up because I’m curious if anyone shares my thoughts on this? .. I’m not trying to argue or anything just wondering if anyone else has had the same thought?
I agree with you if using high quality lights. With us cheap light guys is it a good starting point for watts per sq ft? I am just trying to get get close to your yield lol. Your input is appreciated.

I am on a bit of a tight budget at the moment. Roughly how much would you say I would need to spend on a quantum board to be sufficient for my 3x3 tent. I would just need one good enough for flowering 2-4 plants in my tent. The cheap leds should be plenty in my grow box for veg which is about 2’x2’.
I've never actually measured the exact wattage I'm pulling. it's kind of hard to say how much light you really need it all depends on your grow space, how many plants are growing, if you are able to use a trellis to space out your buds. I do believe that everyone has their particular way of making their grow work for them. And it's very easy to overthink it. I've only done one Grpw previous two my first Journal and unfortunately the result was they were all males. LOL in a way I'm glad they were males because I had a lot of close calls and learned a lot. Me personally I prefer to use LEDs because #1 they last longer #2 use less electricity and #3 creates less Heat in the tent. I'm not trying to spam on your Journal with the product I'm using, but the @Giixer like that I'm using is about $69 and has the capability of daisy chaining so if using one is not enough you could always add on. I know for myself when I was doing all this research online before I started to grow I wanted the best there was out there, from lights to medium to my tent. I realized that there will always be "the next best thing" comming out every season. find out what works for you have a good base and then hone it. Sorry for this response being so long

No need to apologize, like I said I am very thankful for everyone’s input and expertise. The more info you give the better in my opinion. I will have a look at the giixer lights and see what they’re all about but I definitely want to make sure my next light purchase will be enough for what I need done.

That's all you can do. LOL make sure you having fun while you're doing this, otherwise it's pointless. I'll be along for the ride :thumb:

Yes that is an excellent point, the # of plants, grow method, and much more play into factor absolutely. I was just curious about this as I seem to do fine and I’m running much less wattage then what is universally recommended... but this is most likely do to the way I grow my plants.

Not all 4” fans are equal, but it sounds like you’ll be fine for heat with the fan you have, given that you don’t live in a very hot place and can use the heat to your advantage.

Re the electrical bill, high end LEDs are more efficient than HPS. So with a QB you will be burning less power to get more useable light. So a 400w QB setup might give as much light or a bit more than a 600w HID.
Of course, if you can use extra heat that the inefficient HPS gives off, then it’s a win-win. If you live in a hot climate and the heat is killing you then it’s a lose lose.

But IMO, for your situation the efficiency rate isn’t so much different that it helps you much. LEDs aren’t a wonder-product. Electricity is cheap in Alberta, it sounds like you can handle or even use the warmth. For the price you have to pay for high-end LEDs it would be many many years before you ever cover the price difference with your electrical bill, if you ever could.

I have both QBs and HIDs by the way.

I am on a bit of a tight budget at the moment. Roughly how much would you say I would need to spend on a quantum board to be sufficient for my 3x3 tent. I would just need one good enough for flowering 2-4 plants in my tent. The cheap leds should be plenty in my grow box for veg which is about 2’x2’.

No need to apologize, like I said I am very thankful for everyone’s input and expertise. The more info you give the better in my opinion. I will have a look at the giixer lights and see what they’re all about but I definitely want to make sure my next light purchase will be enough for what I need done.
I’d love to help you out brother. To start out and get a good idea of where your at and what you need, I’ll need some information about your setup first. I know you have stated it already but if you could list your equipment that would help immensely. So to start what size tent? What brand lights do you have? What medium are you growing in? Tap or RO water? ... I’m sure I’m missing some things but we’ll figure This out as we go.., I’m here for the ride buddy, and I’ll do everything I can to see you succeed.

Back
Top Bottom