LUX, Wattage & Distance Analysis: 6x CREE CXB3590 Array

This is the light I started with for a 2' X 4' tent, only I had the dimmable version. The coverage was not very good. I had four plants in the tent. The two closest to the center of the light produced 40% more than the two at the outer edges. I put this down to the concentrated area that the COBs are in.

You are better off with a light that has its emitters covering more of the tent's footprint. I built an eight COB fixture, with the COBs on a 12" (30cm) grid. My wife won a Mars Hydro TSL-2000. Both of these outperform the X6, at the same power levels. The coverage is more even throughout the tent, and the light is far more natural.

Wonderful! More feedback I can really use!

At the moment, I put two plants in the 2'x4' tent in 10 gallon pots with a ScrOG ... and just flipped them to 12-12 today.

Each plant effectively takes up a 2'x2' space.

Overall, I wound up with 3 of those lights ... so I still have one light I am not using.

Maybe I should put 1 light over each plant? But that seems like a lot to me.

Or maybe shift the light left one day ... and then right the next to even out the coverage?

I'm curious, how high over the canopy did you have your X6 light? 21 inches? 18 inches?

I have really been doing a lot of this on my own ... trying to be independent and get some knowlwdge before I started asking for feedback.

I think I got lucky running into you and @Emilya in this grow ... as I truly respect your help.

I will look into the Mars Hydro TSL-2000 as a start to my research this week.

For my first grow, if I get a half decent yield ... and I keep improving with you guys, then hey ... my next grow will be that much better ... and that's what I'm really hoping for!

@SQl2kGuy a light meter (Lux/ft cd) dies not work well at all with the X6. For that you'll need a quantum or PAR meter.

For lights that are 3000°K - 5000°K, par can be estimated as Lux/67.

Perfect! I'm glad I asked before I ran out and got one.

I'll spend this week researching lights and light parameters before I make a decision ... and compare both LUX and PAR meters as I progress.

I am starting to dig into Temperature/Relative Humidity and Vapor Pressure Deficit this week.

I actually ran into an article and a chart that took me by surprise today, ... but I will post my questions for that in a more appropriate thread.

With the lower quality spectrum, should I expect a lower yield maybe?

Which part of the spectrum will affect the blooming of the buds?
I proved on my last grow that even with low quality LED light, a good quality product is possible and even good yield if you can get the PAR up to where it needs to be all through the grow area while also being positive that you are not giving too much light... it can be a fine line with some LED systems.
I don't believe that we yet know enough about the overall spectrum response of these plants and aside from the A and B and some secondary bands we don't really know that any of the other parts of the spectrum are useful for growing our weed. It is my belief that the closer we get to the spectrum that is the output of the sun, that light source that earthbound plants have adapted to for millenium, the better our plants will grow. I think we have yet to discover that along with the red portion of the spectrum that we know to be beneficial to flowering, that yellows and blues and even UV are also important to allow a plant to fully express itself.

Maybe I should put 1 light over each plant? But that seems like a lot to me.

I'm curious, how high over the canopy did you have your X6 light? 21 inches? 18 inches?

Two of these are probably too much for a 2' X 4' tent, unless you have the dimmable ones. You can try it once you get to flower, and remove a light if you see signs of a burn.

I kept it at about 20" until the light was as high as it would go. After that my plants always grew into and over the light in a 5' tall tent. I was using NugBucket's Mainline/Manifold method.

Back
Top Bottom