Maer's 540W Advanced LED — G13/Haze - DIY 4" PVC Revised StevehmaNFT Grow

Re: Maer's 540W Advanced LED – G13/Haze - DIY 4" PVC Revised StevehmaNFT Grow

I got my res chiller today, but what temp should i use for my cloner? I think 65 is too cold, I know 75 is good for clones, but is it good for aero (ezcloner)?

So last night the EZ-Cloner leaked about a gallon of water. The top is on tight, it just seems to be accumulating on the lip in the back and somehow overflows. I replaced the gallon with RO water because I am moving my RO res and dont have enought to swap it all out. Also I noticed some slime in there, due to the temps getting too high, it has been up to 86 in there.... So I am planning on setting up the chiller today to cool that down.

P1010892.JPG
P10108911.JPG

So after a LOT of work here is the beginning of the NFT system:

P10108971.JPG
P1010901.JPG
P10109001.JPG

I also moved the cloner to another room and hooked it up to the chiller:

P10109091.JPG

Looks like it's all coming together. When are you putting the clones in?

Looks like the 19th. They were all topped and the secondary branches are growing out nicely. I lowered the res temp to 65 today, I figure they are grown ups now almost 3 weeks old.

Looking real good, Mair! :welldone:

Some very nice roots going on those clones and the DIY looks great! :bravo:

I picked up the parts for a distribution and drain manifold yesterday. Will update with pics tonight when I build it. I am in the process of ordering pumps, having a hard time deciding, the eheim pumps look nice but are pricey, there are two alternatives. Danner Mag-Drive is about in the middle, then there is the low end ecoplus submersibles. I am trying to avoid submersible because it just reduces the capacity of my chiller, and I am paying twice (or more) for the electric the pump used because I am in effect using the chiller to cool the pump.

Eheim - 270
Danner - 180
Ecoplus - 90

I will probably wind up in the middle, I'm not sure if I am not paying for brand with eheim. I worry that a mag drive pump will not be able to produce much pressure also...

Does anyone know if anti-freeze alone is enough to keep crap from growing in my coolant reservoir? I plant to use the non toxic type, but is it non toxic to algae too?

In my opinion stay away from the Ecoplus if you plan on using it inline. The box says it will work but mine leaked badly. Tried to seal it several ways and still no luck. Work fine as a submersible, worthless as an inline. The Danner is a good pump, but I went with this one:
PanWorld 50PXX External Water Pump (just Google search for it, I'll also PM you the website). The thing is powerful and quiet. Lots of pressure for the system. I think I paid $150 for it.

I think the Marine Grade anti-freeze is the most environmentally friendly, but don't know if it will kill algae. Not sure if algae can live in that solution, I am sure it will be fairly anaerobic. Maybe an algaecide additive would be the trick (copper sulfate?)

In my opinion stay away from the Ecoplus if you plan on using it inline. The box says it will work but mine leaked badly. Tried to seal it several ways and still no luck. Work fine as a submersible, worthless as an inline. The Danner is a good pump, but I went with this one:
PanWorld 50PXX External Water Pump (just Google search for it, I'll also PM you the website). The thing is powerful and quiet. Lots of pressure for the system. I think I paid $150 for it.

I think the Marine Grade anti-freeze is the most environmentally friendly, but don't know if it will kill algae. Not sure if algae can live in that solution, I am sure it will be fairly anaerobic. Maybe an algaecide additive would be the trick (copper sulfate?)

I think for my application I am going with the danners.

Propylene glycol is used on red meat in the supermarket to keep it from turning brown, so I am sure its safe because we eat it every day. That is what they make the non toxic anti - freeze out of. Copper sulfate would be scary because a very small amount would kill the plants right? Isn't that used in spin out paint, that stuff that is supposed to stop root - binding.

I may wind up using a UV filter, I found a 9 watt one at home depot for $39. I can always add a little bleach if I see some forming then start with the UV. I dunno I hope its just not a problem - too many things to worry about.

So here is the progress for today, I didn't get to work on the NFT today but I moved my RO, hooked it up to my RO res and installed the float valve.

P10109101.JPG
P1010915.JPG

The res was sorta funky so I wiped it out with alcohol and wiped down all the bubble wands and hoses. The valve hasn't been opened in years and leaved like hell, had to turn off all the water to the house and fix the valve, take it apart clean out all the sediment put it back together with a bunch of teflon tape and it didn't leak.

So I have to wait until tomorrow to swap out the cloner res to a full strength transition mix. Here is a shot of the clones and the roots, they are huge! How the hell do I fit these in 2" net pots!?!

P1010918.JPG
P10109273.JPG

Tomorrow I change the cloner res, build the manifold, cut the holes in the NFT, seal off the window in the cloner area, so many things...

I cut the bottoms off of the net pots and used the foam collars to keep the plants in place (also the bungee cord wraps helped).

Copper Sulfate is bad stuff, but also the active ingredient in DM Zone. In small doses it will keep the algae and bacteria in check, and not harm the plants. The UV should work as well.

Looking forward to seeing the whole system in operation!

Well that's weird, I wonder about that inhibiting root / root hair growth. It is used in paint for pipes near trees and shrubs to keep the roots from growing in. I guess concentration is the key. Sounds like another idea for the comparison grow list.

I am going to trim everything below the split today, I figure I want them to be in full swing by flower time Monday, so now seems an opportune time for a haircut.

Well I didn't get a chance to do anything but a res change, I cleaned all the hoses and wires, air tubes, rinsed then wiped the res portion of the ezclone. Then added 10gallons of RO and a full strength transition mix. Here are the final numbers:

65 Res Temp
3.9 pH (Mag Amp)
1975 ppm
88.3 Air temp
35% RH

Its a bit hot under the T5's but they do have a 65 degree root zone so somehow I don't think they are suffering. I could lower the temp by moving the lights but they don't seem to be stressing so not yet. The RH is low but the room is too big to humidify so I'm screwed on that one at the moment.

There is a strange very light green thing going on with one clone, they were in lockout for a day or two the pH was around 6.8 so I think that is what is was, hopefully they will recover quickly.

3.9 pH (Mag Amp)
I should have said plant amp.

** NOTE ** Plant Amp contains Organic Acids which cause a temporary low pH reading. Do not adjust pH up. The pH will rise naturally as the plant uptakes the chelated calcium in one or two days.

So I went a little off the deep end today, it was a pop - up that made me do it. I was buying some essentials off of amazon, pumps and bulkead fittings when ** 6 months interest free with any purchase on your Amazon store card! ** So in the back of my head some demon said "BIGGER YEILDS", "CO2", "SGE", "YOU ARE COMPELLED TO GROW FATTER AND FATTER BUDZ" So that was it, I applied for the card and got a couple grand in 6 month interest free goodness.

So with this I ordered:

Replacement filter for RO (7 pack)
Vista Pro Heater Core (7.75 x 6 x 2)
Danner Supreme Mag Drive 18 pump (1800 GPH 17' Head 145W)
Danner Supreme Mag Drive 7 pump (700 GPH 12' Head 65W)
20lb Aluminum CO2 Canister
5-15 SQFT/M CO2 Regulator w/ 110 solenoid
PPM-4 CO2 Sensor / Controller
AIR-4 Temp/ Humidity/ CO2 system

The total was about 870 with shipping! The only other thing I know I need is another in line fan to drive the heater core "icebox". We shall see, but things just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

On top of all that I returned my second 180W all blue veg light, there is nothing wrong with it - I am re-tasking my florescent to clone to reduce heat in the flower closet and exchanging the all blue for a DS200! So now the bloom will have 740W! And CO2 full SGE... wish me luck.

Booyah, Maer you kicked it up a notch! I looked at the Danner MagDrive 18 pump, it looks interesting, very curious how well it aerates the water. I had considered buying one when I was purchasing a pump.

Looks like you're going to need to expand your space in the near future.

Booyah, Maer you kicked it up a notch! I looked at the Danner MagDrive 18 pump, it looks interesting, very curious how well it aerates the water. I had considered buying one when I was purchasing a pump.

Looks like you're going to need to expand your space in the near future.

I don't have any options to expand which is why I am trying to squeeze as much as I can from a small space. The 1800 GPH will be driving my cooling system, so aeration is not an issue with that one. The 7 will be driving the NFT system, most of the aeration will come from the return falling into the res. I plan to use a trick I learned from my backyard pond and use a concave object to redirect the splash up and out providing further aeration.

I don't think I will have problems with DO levels with the solution changing over 30x per hour. But if it is an issue I suppose I will add an air pump.. whats another $100 at this point lol.

Back
Top Bottom