Maer's 540W Advanced LED — G13/Haze - DIY 4" PVC Revised StevehmaNFT Grow

I have heard the mantra "More roots equal more buds" too many times.
Water with mineral salts must be drawn up from the upper plant. There's no pumping mechanism in the roots. Too, all must pass the bottleneck of the stem. If one plants in a big container and veg's for months, 'trees' will bloom productively, but... In a closet, veg time and size are a waste. Smaller but more numerous plants yield more for the space/time available.

I think the "more root = more bud applies more to outdoor. If I got the same as last grow I would be happy and I am thinking the jump to hydro will give me some more yield.

Re: Maer's 540W Advanced LED – G13/Haze - DIY 4" PVC Revised StevehmaNFT Grow

@steve

In reference to the 200 - I am talking to Kyle / Robert about upgrading my old 180W to a 200W Diamond. They serviced it (GREAT SERVICE - fedex both ways, pick up at no cost) it was pulling 121W now its like 164, my other 180 pulls 188W... so they are debating bumping me up as a courtesy. I am also considering returning my second all blue in favor of a 200W Diamond, not because of anything wrong with the light but because of the flexibility in the Diamond series. They say 90 days no questions asked so we will see if I can return it just to upgrade...

@Steve

In reference to the 200 - I am talking to Kyle / Robert about upgrading my old 180W to a 200W Diamond. They serviced it (GREAT SERVICE - fedex both ways, pick up at no cost) it was pulling 121W now its like 164, my other 180 pulls 188W... so they are debating bumping me up as a courtesy. I am also considering returning my second all blue in favor of a 200W Diamond, not because of anything wrong with the light but because of the flexibility in the Diamond series. They say 90 days no questions asked so we will see if I can return it just to upgrade...
I wouldn't have to think twice, DS all the way!

I wouldn't have to think twice, DS all the way!

Okay, gotta talk to Advanced and see if they want a shootout next, I suppose. LOL and somewhere in there, squeeze in the Iron Bud Competition...the more I hang out here, the busier I get! :cheer:

Here is a drawing of the updated setup, the Eheim 1262 is capable of 910GPH at 4M of lift, 80 watts and is said to be dead silent. The chiller is an EcoPlus 1/4HP.

Drawing11.jpg

Looks very "cool". You could even put a manifold valve in there and run a DIT chill box air cooler for the warmer months. I was going to do that as well, but my system keeps the space a pretty constant 82~ during lights on.

I didn't get a chance to chime in on the coil discussion earlier, but I'm with JZ, copper should be fine. Better heat transfer that way.

Edit: Just had a thought. Have you considered running a cold water supply line and a warm return line? Use 3/4 inch PVC with a "t" and a valve for the cold water, that way you're not running the water through both chiller coils--in effect one would be warmer than the other. If you ran a supply line and a return line then each coil would receive chilled water from the chiller and then would return it to your chill res via a similar 1 inch return line. I would think a larger diameter return line would reduce pressure on the the return side so that each coil can flow at its max rate.

Yea the manifold was part of the original SGE design, but I cannot afford the 1/2HP chiller, and the design also calls for 2 large pumps. So that will be coming up for grow 4.0 - SGE, CO2, fully water cooled...

Nice design. Make sure you insulate that 55 gal drum. It will save you a ton over energy (it'll take you a little over 3 min per full cycle). On the note of the water cooler... Has anyone ever tried using an old refrigerator with a 55 gallon drum inside it as a cooler? I was looking at some DIY water coolers recently and they all said that mini-fridges didn't work well. However, most of those were for reef tanks and they needed a very small range of temps.

Nice design. Make sure you insulate that 55 gal drum. It will save you a ton over energy (it'll take you a little over 3 min per full cycle). On the note of the water cooler... Has anyone ever tried using an old refrigerator with a 55 gallon drum inside it as a cooler? I was looking at some DIY water coolers recently and they all said that mini-fridges didn't work well. However, most of those were for reef tanks and they needed a very small range of temps.
and these are more for "reefer" tanks :laughtwo:

I made two posts to the DIY forum about DIY hydroinnovations stuff:

DIY Icebox

DIY? Cool Coil nutrient res chiller

A drum in a freezer would not have a lot of energy transfer.. I dont think it would work. To chill water you want the cold coil in contact with the water. Something like this will work:

DIY window AC Chiller new Version

@steve

I am counting on the over powered pump and chiller evening out those temp differences. That is another reason I went with the 55gal drum to store energy. I may bite the bullet and build the manifold this time. Another reason I had decided against it - the larger chiller has a larger outlet so everything would have to change then.

@Hosebomber

I was going to build a plywood and insulation box for the drum, but it is on a concrete floor and cinder block walls surround, I am thinking of leaving it in contact with the floor because it is always cool.

When I said I ordered a 1/2 HP chiller before that was a mistype, I ordered 1/4 HP. I got it for $427 with shipping, which is an awesome deal IMHO.

So the Game of Clones continues... Day 15 today and here is how the tops look:

P1010881.JPG

and the roots....

P10108772.jpg

They have roots but they look like shit. In two days I should have my CES nutes so i will switch to a transition mix with that and hopefully it helps.

On the up side my mother experiment seems to be working I trimmed the fan leaves off 13 days ago. They were 4 foot tall plants and I took off all but one main stalk and bent it over with some fishing weights. here is a shot of the mother area, there are two facing toward us and two away.

P10108841.JPG

Here is a closeup of the branch coming toward us, you can see nice clones coming from each side of the branch.

P1010886.JPG

And here is one going away from us. It is hard to see but the main stalk is in the middle and the clones on each side.

P1010887.JPG

On a +note, some of those roots look very nice. They will start to take off now, 3~5 days and they will be very "rooty"

This is day 15 I am worried about the ones that are showing nothing.

I only see one with nothing going on. The ones with healthy roots are going to take off very quickly and overshadow the others. How many are you going to put into the chamber? I cut 30 for my 20 site, pick the best and throw the weak ones out.

Even though they are all the same genetically, they do grow at different rates and depending on where you take the clone from they will root/grow at different rates.

You will be amazed at how quickly they take off at this point. I start them on about 1/2 strength transition at this point and over the next week they will double in size. This is also when I give them their first topping/FIM'ing.

When I take clones, I try to make sure they are all about the same size, from about the same location and have roughly the same size stem. Woody stems are not desirable, younger, more pliable work for me. Cuttings from lower on the plant have more rooting hormones in them and tend to take of quicker.

One of the things I found by happenstance last round, I had a few clones that were cuttings that I had topped a week or two prior to taking them. They did really well. For future clones, I am gong to plan 2 weeks prior to cutting and top those sites to get a jump start on the process.

All of them look to have at least pre-roots starting. A couple more days and you should see good growth out of those last 3 or 4 that don't have "true" roots yet. Did you use any cloning gel on them or in your res? Likewise, did you shave their legs as my step-father likes to call it? He has been scraping the bottom 1/2" to 1" before he puts them to the water for at least the past 25 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom