Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

:thumb: thanks for the info, Celt.
You are right flexy. My own tests on the Mars II 900 I bought for my 3'6x3'6 (approx. 1mx1m) suggested that the optimum distance for that light in that space was between 16 and 26 inches. Closer than 16 inches and you weren't getting the full effect of the light and above 26 inches the intensity dropped off. I was reading a full 30k+ LUX in the 16-26" range

:party:I love this post, Celt, keep learning and enjoy growing :cheer:
For me, its the joy of growing for my own meds and for learning (something always at the top of my agenda). I don't really care how long it takes or how much I harvest so long as I get the quality I want. I am not in it to make money, it illegal here in Canada as you well know.
I do it for the joy of seeing my efforts unfold :)

Ed Rosenthal would disagree with regards to the 550n wavelength. Also I always thought if in this case the object is green it means it's reflecting more green then anything else, that's why it's green. It even appears this massive expert in growing indicates you could in theory walk into a flowering dark room with a green light and not disturb them. Am I reading this right?

text below from ed rosenthals site Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Grower's Handbook

GREEN AND BLUE LIGHT AT NIGHT

As plants evolved for hundreds of millions of years they never actually had to deal with separation of light spectrums or unusual lighting regimes. When they received light it came from the sun in a mixture of spectrums and they could pick and choose which to use. It was only with the advent first of gas and then electric lighting that plants encountered unusual regimens and splintered spectrums.

Plants measure day length using the red light spectrum. While they use other spectrums for other purposes, they are not sensitive to them as far as flowering is concerned. They are almost totally insensitive to green light and for this reason reflect it back to us while absorbing most other spectrums.

Plants' insensitivity to green light can be used to a gardener's advantage. You know that turning the light on in the middle of the dark cycle disturbs the plants' flowering paradigm. The light, HPS, fluorescent and MH lamps all emit red light. Green fluorescent and LED lights contain no red light and will not disturb the dark period. You can go in the garden under adequate light to work, as long as it is green.

Plants use blue light for certain regulatory processes and also for photosynthesis. Chlorophyll absorbs both blue and red light and uses the light's energy to power the complex process in which water and atmospheric carbon dioxide are converted to sugar and oxygen gas. Blue light does not affect the regulation of flowering.

When blue light is turned on during the dark period, plants photosynthesize but their flowering isn't affected. This results in more growth as the plants produce more sugars. Before LED lights it was difficult to create a pure blue light. Instead, most of the time other spectrum's were filtered out, which can be an inconvenient process. Try using between 20 and 40 watts of mixed blue light per 1000 watts of regular light. I have done only initial experimentation with this so test this in a limited way first. I suspect that the additional light is an efficient way of increasing total yield

Aside from red and blue light, plants also use orange light for photosynthesis. I haven't experimented with them yet, but orange LEDs might also help increase yield and probably can be lit continuously, just like the blues. More on this as the news breaks–or at least, as it fractures.

I would not say it is a case of ED being wrong. Well at least Not wrong when he wrote it. I am almost 50 and can tell you the new science and information we learn every year grows massively. We are constantly relearning things We thought we knew.
Be skeptical but keep and open mind!!

:yahoo: new baby~~ new grow~~ hope you have more harvest~~:cheer::cheer:
:popcorn:

New baby's 2nd grow ,10 different strains, 6 auto's on the right, in 1-2 weeks go under led.(now TCL)

Started with LST with some plants to keep low, auto's topping is not advised, only LST and defol with those.
Non auto's probably gonna top all 4 soon for scrog and do LST, defol.

SAM_6817.JPG

2nd bit (early)partial harvest under mars2-reflector (small-medium nugs)
Hope max one more week for big cut.:cheer:
SAM_6824.JPG

:thumb: thank you ruddie, great job!
Ed Rosenthal would disagree with regards to the 550n wavelength. Also I always thought if in this case the object is green it means it's reflecting more green then anything else, that's why it's green. It even appears this massive expert in growing indicates you could in theory walk into a flowering dark room with a green light and not disturb them. Am I reading this right?

text below from ed rosenthals site Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Grower's Handbook

GREEN AND BLUE LIGHT AT NIGHT

As plants evolved for hundreds of millions of years they never actually had to deal with separation of light spectrums or unusual lighting regimes. When they received light it came from the sun in a mixture of spectrums and they could pick and choose which to use. It was only with the advent first of gas and then electric lighting that plants encountered unusual regimens and splintered spectrums.

Plants measure day length using the red light spectrum. While they use other spectrums for other purposes, they are not sensitive to them as far as flowering is concerned. They are almost totally insensitive to green light and for this reason reflect it back to us while absorbing most other spectrums.

Plants' insensitivity to green light can be used to a gardener's advantage. You know that turning the light on in the middle of the dark cycle disturbs the plants' flowering paradigm. The light, HPS, fluorescent and MH lamps all emit red light. Green fluorescent and LED lights contain no red light and will not disturb the dark period. You can go in the garden under adequate light to work, as long as it is green.

Plants use blue light for certain regulatory processes and also for photosynthesis. Chlorophyll absorbs both blue and red light and uses the light's energy to power the complex process in which water and atmospheric carbon dioxide are converted to sugar and oxygen gas. Blue light does not affect the regulation of flowering.

When blue light is turned on during the dark period, plants photosynthesize but their flowering isn't affected. This results in more growth as the plants produce more sugars. Before LED lights it was difficult to create a pure blue light. Instead, most of the time other spectrums were filtered out, which can be an inconvenient process. Try using between 20 and 40 watts of mixed blue light per 1000 watts of regular light. I have done only initial experimentation with this so test this in a limited way first. I suspect that the additional light is an efficient way of increasing total yield

Aside from red and blue light, plants also use orange light for photosynthesis. I haven't experimented with them yet, but orange LEDs might also help increase yield and probably can be lit continuously, just like the blues. More on this as the news breaks–or at least, as it fractures.

:circle-of-love: the website is under updation. In early September, the new website will come out, with new lights. :party:
Is it me or does the site not mention anything about the new lights? Get the whip out on those web developers! :) jk

Haha, thanks for the advice, we will speed up now.:hug:
suppose to be in few days .... early september max and the website will be updated i think ..... yes, they are very slow to update website and there is a lot of misinformations there, cause not up to date.

a website is very important ..... not very smart from them i think

:cheer:thanks for sharing, maccamoo, plants are heathy and bushy:cheer::cheer:
Thought I'd share a few pictures of my current grow.
These are "think different" auto's
Currently at day 23 from seed grown under my mars1200. I bought the 700 last week but with both of them in my tent this time of year (hot) I couldn't keep temps below 92. So it's been slid under the bed until end of summer. These really are a bushy fast growing strain. The pots are 24litre rectangular and the tents 1msq. I'm going to be doing heavy defol wen tgere veggitive stage seems to of finished. Node spacing is awsome. And every side branch is within a couple of inches of a flat canopy without any training at all. Couldn't be happier. Apart from the girl back right she's lanky. When I run out of room shel probably be the one to go

DSC_09776.JPG
DSC_097012.JPG
DSC_097210.JPG
DSC_097511.JPG
DSC_097611.JPG

Thank you for the kind words, flyboy :Namaste: you are much welcome to share here with us your grow.:high-five:
Just made the 1200w purchase:)

Had to direct pay on PayPal, couldn't get there website to ship to my PayPal address, hopefully Sara will make sure I get it .

Customer service is priority number one with company, I'm pleased so far and don't even have the product yet :)
Got a phone call within minutes , thank you

Hi elamigoverde, if you are not from UK, you will get Reflector96x5w. :Namaste: Please don't worry, they are 5w, not 3w. We will not misguide our customers. :circle-of-love: They were 3w but now they are updated to 5w. :high-five: We actually have credit card option at the website. You can pay by credit card. :Namaste:
I just ordered the 96x3 (or is it 5w?) reflector series and I am excited to receive it.

The problem I have with this company is that they claim their leds are 5w and then you'll see others verbage where it says they are 3w. For the same products! So which is it? Are they 5w or 3w?

I'm guessing they are all 3w and they are attempting to confuse a few customers into thinking they are purchasing 5w LED fixtures.

The other thing is that they only accept paypal or western union on their website. Western Union cost me a $14 fee. Then, when I recieved a payment confirmation email asking for the MCTN, they offered a credit card option that would have saved me the fee!

They need to get their details straightened out.

Hello guys, I have a favor to ask. :circle-of-love: We are updating the website and consider adding grow tips under LED.
You are all professionals in growing and have experiences in LED grow. Could you give us some advices? :party:
For example, compared to HPS.
1. How often the grower should be watering?
2. How much Cal/Mag should add?
3. What other cautions need to pay attention?
4. Any other advices?
The advice is totally from grow's side. :Namaste:
My dearest friends, you are like my teachers in grow. I am all ears on.:dreamy:

Today i got my new reflector 48x5w,
i added to it my growroom i use the reflector 96x3w for some time now,
and im very pleased about it.

Very fast delivery and an excellent customer service,

keep ut the good work guys

Thanks!

Hi jonkofied. Is there an appreciable difference in the 5-watt led over the 3-watt led?? I have a 96X3 reflector and considering selling that an upgrading to a 96X5. Little pricey and trying to justify the extra cost.

Hey guys , just getting ready for flowering , got 3 lemon Kush and 2 afghani plants growing.
This is my second grow , my first grow was with a Marshydro reflector 96x3.
This time Im using the reflector and a 300w old model .
For some reason the old mode gets really hot and has burned on of my plants numerous times at about 15-18inches away .
Has any one else had this problem ?
I'm thinking of swapping the old model for a small 48x3 reflector .
I'm thinking two reflectors would be better.
image30974.jpg

Also I have a small problem . Can anyone confirm that this is a cal/mag issue ?
image30975.jpg

Probably ph flux from drawing more cal/mag with LEDs. My first grow did the same with foxfarm soil. I added a bit of garden lime, cleared it right up. You can also get liquid cal mag, all personal preference. Don't worry, the plants will bounce back like nothing ever happened. :). Keep it green. :volcano-smiley:

Hello guys, I have a favor to ask. :circle-of-love: We are updating the website and consider adding grow tips under LED.
You are all professionals in growing and have experiences in LED grow. Could you give us some advices? :party:
For example, compared to HPS.
1. How often the grower should be watering?
2. How much Cal/Mag should add?
3. What other cautions need to pay attention?
4. Any other advices?
The advice is totally from grow's side. :Namaste:
My dearest friends, you are like my teachers in grow. I am all ears on.:dreamy:

In my opinion there are not many differences between growing with LED and HPS but here are a couple of things I would note down:

1. First and foremost check the plants reactions to the light. Putting your hand under the light and using the warmth test will not work with LED, you need to be checking your plants for signs of bleaching or even if they are shying away from the light. If so then move the light further away accordingly.

This is a seedling that shied away from the LED lights:

IMGP0989cr.jpg

2. Secondly most plants seem to need extra CalMag (or possibly iron which is in CalMag) when growing under LED so it's best to keep some on hand to avoid deficiencies. Usually a teaspoon/5ml every other feed seems to be the general amount, but each strain is different so just keep an eye on your strain's particular needs.

3. Thirdly watch your grow style. At the moment although LED's are getting better their penetration isn't yet as good as a HPS and so are better suited to grow styles such as Sea of Green (SoG) or Screen of Green (Scrog). It's best to bear this in mind when preparing or training your plants.

Although I'm working around the penetration limitations myself by using a reflector as a Photographer would by bouncing light to the shadows :)

IMGP0984150815rs.jpg

As for watering there is no difference here, plants will need feeding as an when and there is too much variation to give a definitive set timing. I would suggest poking your soil to the first knuckle to check if it's dry, or watching your plants if using other mediums (I have no experience here but I would think it's always best to watch the plants anyway)

I hope one or two of these tips help someone. I've tried to make them as newbie friendly as I can, all the best :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom