Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

I'm done here, just trying to help ,
My wife is an electronics expert and I build jets for a living, this design is the same one they have been using for years , not effective, my pictures of my rooms should already show I know what I'm doing ,between myself and my wife over 25 years growing and I have tried to remove heat and air every way I could think of or read about or whatever. Why do you think one of the most expensive LEDs on the market in a state where it's legal has the fan on the side , not the top , have any of you even looked inside these , if you where to block off the vents on the two sides and let the air flow in a line across the heatsinks it would be better . I will modify one further and show results with a temp gun , I will remove the fan in a smaller light and block off the top and two sides , then cut out a hole 2x2 inches in the side of the case and put a 2x2 fan into that spot , it will then PULL air through the case , over the heatsinks and drivers and out the side .

And cpu coolers have fans on them that blow air through the heatsinks and fans on the computer case to remove the hot air .

Need not feel offended ! I never said you didn't know what your doing . I never did anything with Black Dog lights so I cant say much about there design.
As far as the CPU coolers go that's what I said air is forced onto and through the heatsink Good luck with things Bud
My wife is an electronics expert and I build jets for a living, this design is the same one they have been using for years , not effective, my pictures of my rooms should already show I know what I'm doing ,between myself and my wife over 25 years growing and I have tried to remove heat and air every way I could think of or read about or whatever. Why do you think one of the most expensive LEDs on the market in a state where it's legal has the fan on the side , not the top , have any of you even looked inside these , if you where to block off the vents on the two sides and let the air flow in a line across the heatsinks it would be better . I will modify one further and show results with a temp gun , I will remove the fan in a smaller light and block off the top and two sides , then cut out a hole 2x2 inches in the side of the case and put a 2x2 fan into that spot , it will then PULL air through the case , over the heatsinks and drivers and out the side .

And cpu coolers have fans on them that blow air through the heatsinks and fans on the computer case to remove the hot air .

I would not advertise working on aircraft even if pot is legal in your state it's not legal with the FAA and a lot of people have issues with their airplane being worked on by people that use drugs

I certainly won't disrespect your knowledge. But I fail to see why your idea is better than what's already in place. Yes heat in a grow room rises. Hence there usually being a carbon filter at the top pulling air out with passive vents dotted about pulling cool air in. If air flow in a tent is well dialed in the top to bottom of a grow room won't differ by more than a couple degrees. Il pop a pik on. It's my room now. After 17 hours of a 20/4 light cycle. My thermometer has two numbers. Top numbers top of tent were the thermo is and bottom numbers at plant hight..... The heat sinks need air hitting them to cool them. Even warm air hitting them is better than warm air being pulled from them.

DSC_10757.JPG

0.5 degree difference between above lights and below

I certainly won't disrespect your knowledge. But I fail to see why your idea is better than what's already in place. Yes heat in a grow room rises. Hence there usually being a carbon filter at the top pulling air out with passive vents dotted about pulling cool air in. If air flow in a tent is well dialed in the top to bottom of a grow room won't differ by more than a couple degrees. Il pop a pik on. It's my room now. After 17 hours of a 20/4 light cycle. My thermometer has two numbers. Top numbers top of tent were the thermo is and bottom numbers at plant hight..... The heat sinks need air hitting them to cool them. Even warm air hitting them is better than warm air being pulled from them.

Air is hitting them and being pulled across them , I fail to see how this can not be seen. I know a room is dialed in and thus can help dial that in further , air is pulled from the other side , directly across them .

image32105.jpg
image32104.jpg

Here is my modified one , didn't have any black tape or it might look better :)
I dremeled the spots out for the fans to fit and glued them to hold in , not really necessary. Only the other end is open for air to flow across , I bought a laser temp gun and ran some preliminary tests , case was at about 70 or less all over , pointing it inside onto the heatsinks gets into the 80s the LEDs are hot no matter what, the board runs 140+ and the LEDs are 150+ , if it's in a tent with a small 6 inch fan pointed up at it with no glass it's cooler . I'll have exact specs soon , when everything turns on tonight I will get temps from my modified MarsHydro 1200w that I changed the fans to blow up instead of in and one unchanged.

If a fan is blowing away from you does it have the same effect as the same fan blowing at you ? my last unwanted word about it

How thick is the glass ? I may want to remove mine

I just got a 60x5w 300 watt marshydro led I have it next to my 400 watt HPS. My grow area is a 38x38x79. I would love to hear from anyone who has completed a grow with this model the 60x5 300 watt. Like is it worth it did it live up to your standards and so on. Thanks

It's pretty thick and absorbs quite a bit of heat , it's about 3mm thick. And yes I agree with the fan in or out , really doesn't matter , I would prefer it blow up and is therefore caught immediately by my exhaust fan . All I'm saying is I think the design can be improved upon and MarsHydro could implement changes in the future that would benefit us all .

If a fan is blowing away from you does it have the same effect as the same fan blowing at you ? my last unwanted word about it

I think he's saying it's cooling the sinks with the air generated being sucked in across the sinks and out the other end.
I kind of understand your theory. No I do understand ur theory completely. I just can't get my head round why?

Is there an overheating problem with these? And do these fans have enough power to pull air for cooling? Pushing is one thing but pulling is another

I'm sure mars will listen they seem to be good at taking customers opinions on board and implementing them if it's for the good

Just re-read ur above post. I thought in an earlier post ud said your fans were pulling air out of the light.... Like ur above pik..... But fans pointing out of the light blowing into the tent which confused me why would you do that. But after reading your above post and looking at picture I thing ur saying that them fans are pointing into the casing blowing air across the sink as apposed to pulling air across the sink as I first thought ud said. That makes more sense....... Look forward to seeing your modified vs Un modified 1200 when I wake tomorrow. Hope you don't take my comments as criticism just been trying to get my head around your theory and reasons

I promised myself I'd be less opinionated on this forum, but I knew that wouldn't last so I will just make a couple of points here.

First, why not alter the lights?

No matter if your alterations are good or bad they violate the warranty, which considering the failure rate of drivers, is not a good idea. Mr Tight who is a tester of the 1200 posted in his last grow vid that a driver failed and he will be posting a vid how to change drivers soon.

Lastly, why did you choose to purchase from Mars Hydro?

Price.
We all know that any thing made in China is a cheap knock off whether it be a cell phone, fighter jet, aircraft carrier, baby formula, drywall or an LED light. China uses cheap labor and inferior materials to copy some other product and do it at a fraction of the price. We all know that.

Myself I chose the Mars Hydro because it was a fraction of the cost of a Black Dog. I couldn't justify paying what Black Dog was asking and I bought the Mars Hydro fully aware of the reputation of Chinese made products, but I hoped that it would perform well enough to accomplish my goals. All in all it has and I am satisfied that I got the best light for the price I paid.

You don't buy a Yugo expecting it to be a Cadillac, but when you buy that Yugo you knew what you were getting before you paid the piper.

If you alter a product, violate the warranty and it fails I would think you are just spit out of luck.
If you want a light that sucks instead of blows I don't recommend that you alter it, just buy what you want in the first place.

As long as my Mars keeps doing the job and Sara and Lucy keep doing a great job for me I am happy with what I have. I knew what I was getting when I bought it.

I'm thinking lumen loss or spectrum mixing and the glass I may have to test a bit.!

It's pretty thick and absorbs quite a bit of heat , it's about 3mm thick. And yes I agree with the fan in or out , really doesn't matter , I would prefer it blow up and is therefore caught immediately by my exhaust fan . All I'm saying is I think the design can be improved upon and MarsHydro could implement changes in the future that would benefit us all .

Where is Black Dog stuff made ? Now Mars Hydro is as costly as the others with advent of the stupid remote control (IMO ) I want my friggin Yugo to make highway speed maybe a turbo will do it

I promised myself I'd be less opinionated on this forum, but I knew that wouldn't last so I will just make a couple of points here.

First, why not alter the lights?

No matter if your alterations are good or bad they violate the warranty, which considering the failure rate of drivers, is not a good idea. Mr Tight who is a tester of the 1200 posted in his last grow vid that a driver failed and he will be posting a vid how to change drivers soon.

Lastly, why did you choose to purchase from Mars Hydro?

Price.
We all know that any thing made in China is a cheap knock off whether it be a cell phone, fighter jet, aircraft carrier, baby formula, drywall or an LED light. China uses cheap labor and inferior materials to copy some other product and do it at a fraction of the price. We all know that.

Myself I chose the Mars Hydro because it was a fraction of the cost of a Black Dog. I couldn't justify paying what Black Dog was asking and I bought the Mars Hydro fully aware of the reputation of Chinese made products, but I hoped that it would perform well enough to accomplish my goals. All in all it has and I am satisfied that I got the best light for the price I paid.

You don't buy a Yugo expecting it to be a Cadillac, but when you buy that Yugo you knew what you were getting before you paid the piper.

If you alter a product, violate the warranty and it fails I would think you are just spit out of luck.
If you want a light that sucks instead of blows I don't recommend that you alter it, just buy what you want in the first place.

As long as my Mars keeps doing the job and Sara and Lucy keep doing a great job for me I am happy with what I have. I knew what I was getting when I bought it.

Where is Black Dog stuff made ? Now Mars Hydro is as costly as the others with advent of the stupid remote control (IMO ) I want my friggin Yugo to make highway speed maybe a turbo will do it

An Apple Iphone and a knock off Sciphone are both made in the same country, but there is no comparison in price or quality.

Your friggin Yugo will be in the junk yard soon especially after you turbo charge it, but I'm not telling you any thing you don't already know. :)

I don't know about you, but there is no way in hell I am forking out that kind of cash for the super duper remote controlled model no matter who makes it. Common sense must prevail. I don't replace my phone every time they add a little memory capability either. I don't try to keep up with the Jones

My Yugo is nearly as tuff as my VW beetle lol.
I'm all over the sun series ! I'n the world of common sense ( If it aint broke dont fix it ) dont need no stinkin remote Just sayin

An Apple Iphone and a knock off Sciphone are both made in the same country, but there is no comparison in price or quality.

Your friggin Yugo will be in the junk yard soon especially after you turbo charge it, but I'm not telling you any thing you don't already know. :)

I don't know about you, but there is no way in hell I am forking out that kind of cash for the super duper remote controlled model no matter who makes it. Common sense must prevail. I don't replace my phone every time they add a little memory capability either. I don't try to keep up with the Jones

Back
Top Bottom