Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

:cheesygrinsmiley: That's a DormGrow 240, for total of about 1000 watts in a 4x4. :slide:

Hi all, I'm doing my 1st all led grow with Mars led and have a got a few leaves with issues. Growing in hydro with plenty of nutes and cal mag additive ,nearly 3weeks in to 12/12. Tent is hot at 33 - 34 max temperature but there nothing I can do about that this time of year. Anyway, I believe that this could be light bleaching aided by high temp. I'm just about to up lights by 8-10 inches and asking anyone experienced with led if I am diagnosing this correctly??? Many thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I received Mars II 700w LED lights today, my seedlings are about 1 week old, from your experience what will be the best distance to keep the lights from them till flowering stage?

Hi all,

I received Mars II 700w LED lights today, my seedlings are about 1 week old, what will be the best distance to keep the lights from them?

As high as you can get them for a week or so to get the plants use to the strong led lights then lower slow to you get about 24" and watch plants. If they dont stretch then leave them if you see any then lower about 3-4 inch at a time. Have not ever found the need to go lower then 18".

As high as you can get them for a week or so to get the plants use to the strong led lights then lower slow to you get about 24" and watch plants. If they dont stretch then leave them if you see any then lower about 3-4 inch at a time. Have not ever found the need to go lower then 18".

Thanks man:) Now lights are around 2.5 feet above my seedlings (my tent is only 1 m x 1 m x 1.8m). I should get second pair of ratchets in next few days, then i will lift it up again.

Hi all, I'm doing my 1st all led grow with Mars led and have a got a few leaves with issues. Growing in hydro with plenty of nutes and cal mag additive ,nearly 3weeks in to 12/12. Tent is hot at 33 - 34 max temperature but there nothing I can do about that this time of year. Anyway, I believe that this is light bleaching aided by high temp. I'm just about to up lights by 8-10 inches but am already nearly 2ft above and asking anyone experienced with led if I am diagnosing this correctly??? Many thanks in advance.
20150722_224424.jpg
20150722_224343.jpg
20150722_224439.jpg

2 foot is enought to dont have bleaching from the light for sure .... look like nutrient deficiency more than bleaching at first sight .... and im very bad for it sorry

Hi all, I'm doing my 1st all led grow with Mars led and have a got a few leaves with issues. Growing in hydro with plenty of nutes and cal mag additive ,nearly 3weeks in to 12/12. Tent is hot at 33 - 34 max temperature but there nothing I can do about that this time of year. Anyway, I believe that this is light bleaching aided by high temp. I'm just about to up lights by 8-10 inches but am already nearly 2ft above and asking anyone experienced with led if I am diagnosing this correctly??? Many thanks in advance.
20150722_224424.jpg
20150722_224343.jpg
20150722_224439.jpg

Hello JC

Is there any chance you could take pictures just before LEDs come on or just after the LEDs go out . Problems are much easier to diagnose when the true colors can be seen.

20150722_224424.jpg
20150722_224343.jpg
20150722_224439.jpg

Light bleach aka burn with led will be white not yellow or brown. I can not tell what color in pic.

Thanks man:) Now lights are around 2.5 feet above my seedlings (my tent is only 1 m x 1 m x 1.8m). I should get second pair of ratchets in next few days, then i will lift it up again.

With most lights you can just use the d ring from the ratchet straps and attach the d ring to the hanging bars straight to the mounts on lights. I think you can see my lights like that in my main flower room.

:circle-of-love:agreed. success depends on small things.
Once you add ducting and any turns those fans will be lucky to cool the lights let alone the room a 6in fan can be had for less than $65 better that then burning up the light if that is to expensive a boost fan is about $35 . Remember heat control is a big part of growing indoors both exhaust and circulation is a area where a few dollars can be the difference between success and failure.

:Namaste:
Cheers for reply... There will be no ducting. I am leaning toward a basic 200mm/8 inch bathroom fan (pretty quiet) that will vent directly up into open ceiling space, through a DIY scrubber attached to the inside of the ceiling, drawing from multiple passive intakes and a small oscillating fan inside for circulation... Sara reckons that the light fans total about 240 cfm, so am wondering if that might be enough for the light AND the box.. Box will be about 40 cubic feet.. About 6'5" tall, but only 1.5 ft wide by 3.5 ft long approx...
Was thinking if the light were attached directly to the ceiling, with holes cut for extraction, and the "ceiling" being height adjustable, instead of the light by itself....Scrubber can be above the vent hole instead of below it.....
Just an idea to keep it simple (and use a bit less power); I know it probably sounds more complicated than it needs to be but in my head it would actually be easier! everything will be DIY and I have to cut holes for extraction/vents anyway, so my idea would be the same or slightly less work and less power for same result.... Just one less thing to plug into the wall....
Unless I'm totally off track and the light fans just won't handle this setup. I figure the light fans are drawing air/moisture/dust straight thru the light anyway, so it all may as well go straight out of the box.....Even better if the fans draw air from the sides of the light, and not through the diodes, which I assume they do.. That's the question (took me a while to realize it!), I guess.. Would the light-case intakes be too restrictive to be effective for my idea?

:thumb:
Without any ducting you will move air and if the amounts given are what they say it should work I can only compare what my 250 CFM fan puts out which is a lot more than the fans on my 144 X 5 do. While the fans themselves in open air might put out that much I don't think the volume at least with my light is anywhere near that when in the case perhaps half of the 240 cfm . Now your 8 in bathroom fan is the same motor and on some the same fan as a 8 in boost fan and that is all I need during the winter with a 6.5 x 6.5 foot tent. The main question is what kind of heat do you have to deal with if not a hot climate your idea might work and it would at least be worth a try just keep us in the loop

:cheer:I hope it will work.
You know I re-read my post a few times and the more I think about it the more I think I answered my own question. For ALL the air in the cab to flow through the light case 3-5 times a minute... Even once per minute will be a lot of strain on those fans. Looking at pics of the light again and seems like maybe the openings around the edge might not add up to enough space... Oh well.
I get these little ideas sometimes... Worth a shot!
:icon_roll

Haha, wizgrow, this is new Old Model. The Old Model 100x3w and 200x3w has been updated to 60x5w and 120x5w.:circle-of-love: The recommended coverage of Old Model 60x5w during Veg is 2'x2'. During Flower, it's 1.5'x1.5'. :circle-of-love:
Hey Guys and Gals - been awhile.

So I went and bought the old 300w models off of Amazon because they were no longer available on Mars-Hydro. I contacted Sara before ordering to make they were hers because they looked different and I did not want a knock off. Well, they are Mars-Hydro, just not the old model even though that is what they are calling them. These are 140w vs 180w, 5w vs 3w...... and a Wacky 13 white led out 60 total LED spectrum. My grow room looks like I am growing under regular white lights.......

So the question on the table is: Any else use these yet?

I need some feedback -Kind of scared to try them and might just have to throw them in the Veg room since I can't return them from over seas :(

:circle-of-love:
how many blue chips you have on 60?

maybe they choose more whites leds over less blue ones, this is ok to do that .... if you have around 55% to 70% red chips over the total (35-40/60 or so), you are ok for flowering, dont worry. i will buy this light very soon, so i want to know me too :)

Compared to MarsII and Reflector series, the Old Model uses different quality diodes and spectrum ratio.:Namaste:
13 white / 14 blue so the other 33 must be 620-660

I own 5 different types of lights now 6 - 4 models of which are Mars-Hydro this light is by far way lighter/whiter than any of them. Lights are off now so I can't do a comparison of the spectrum compared to the others.

But as far as white goes I guess they cover a little bit of all the spectrum's and always assumed you only need a couple of them and any more were just a waste of power that could be used by the red/blue LED's.

Spectrum aside - still just a bit irked that these are being sold as the "Old Model" when they are an entirely different light - the only thing they have in common is the white color chassis and power adapter :)

hmmmm .... so this is 33/60 or 55% red .... yep, this light is clearly more white and blue than others, but 55% reds is the minimum in my mind, and maybe ok ....... so, i will buy it even if i would prefer 60-65% reds

this light have less red than others, this is nice to know

I have checked the harvest, db, it's nice, congrats.:circle-of-love:UVB is useful for the grow, while I haven't seen much growers here use it. :Namaste:
hello to all my fellow mars hydro led growers I got a question for you I was looking at some of the other led company's that use uvb lights near the end of flower to help increase resin like California light works solar storm has them and it sparked a idea.
:idea:

me having a idea in itself is a miracle thanks to all the dank bud I just harvested using my mars II 400.
:lot-o-toke:

I plan on using my mars II 700 I just got but want to add a few cfl uvb bulbs or a few uvb t8's- or uvb t5's to my grow towards the end of flowering.

So I've been doing some research on UVB light and it's affect on Trichomes development and potency. It seems that people are pretty much in agreement that UVB increases potency.

However, I have not seen much in the way of actual usage and safety. I'm wondering if a reptile light would work. It puts out UVB light.

Another piece of info I have failed to come up with is how many watts and how long to leave the light on.

I realize UVB is destructive in high doses so I've heard of growers hitting the plants for 20 minutes a day and getting results. Still, I would like to know if anyone has done this and if so, can you give some details.

if you use them or know about them can you help could anyone "shed some light on it" sorry that was a bad pun lol and thank you

p.s. I forgot to mention that I was looking in to side lighting not with the uvb's but with fluorescent lights

:circle-of-love:thanks, DarkSidofMike.
mars2 900W is little short for flowering in a 4X4 area nicker ..... my advice would be to go with mars2 1200W minimum to get nice results ..... and to go with mars2 1600W to get full light power. full light power is only needed for high rating hydropnic growers and many dont need it.

for 4X4 area ... mars2 900W is the minimum .... mars2 1200W is better ..... mars2 1600W is full power.

:circle-of-love:hi maccamoo, the draw power of MarsII 1200w is tested 548.2w under 240V. eh... how come it's so much short.
Hi Sara. If you remember I was asking about actual power draw of my 1200watt mars2 Pannal I purchased a month ago. I hooked it upto a power meter plug and it's drawing 399watts at 240v.
This is much less than it should be so I'm assuming my 1200 is running more like a 900.
What do you suggest we do about this?

Haha, wizgrow, this is new Old Model. The Old Model 100x3w and 200x3w has been updated to 60x5w and 120x5w.:circle-of-love: The recommended coverage of Old Model 60x5w during Veg is 2'x2'. During Flower, it's 1.5'x1.5'. :circle-of-love:

Compared to MarsII and Reflector series, the Old Model uses different quality diodes and spectrum ratio.:Namaste:

Guessing this is not "Sara" as we spoke about these issues at length last night and can't see how she would respond to my post in such a manner.

Just my opinion but it might be helpful to stop referring to these lights as "the old model" ......they have NOTHING in common and it just leads people to making mistakes with expectations of what we are to receive -

And yes, I even spoke with Sara prior to ordering them with out have any of this info given to me.

WizGro... I have 2 of the old style 100x3w... just got one of them today... and I have one of the new 60x5 old style... I have been using the 100x3w to veg a couple of autos and will add the 60x5w when I go to flower and so far it is working fine... I have also used them for fill ins here and there.... Sara had said a ways back that they would not be selling them on their regular site anymore and only on ebay and amazon and that after all the 100x3w were gone all there would be is the 60x5w's and that they were not the quality they want on their site but needed a cheapo model to keep up with the fakes on ebay and such... The only major difference I can see is that the 5w only has one ffan but it seems to be fine and the wattage from the wall is not quite as high but again for the money... you can't go wrong IMO......:circle-of-love:

Ha, you hit the point. On Ebay and Amazon, you will find many similar products like old model 60x5w. The price is low, so we have to meet the new standard. :volcano-smiley:
i just saw an appolo horticulture 60X5 imitation at amazon.ca ... exactly the same as marshydro new old model 60X5 with exactly the same ratio as you said. i guess this is the new standard for cheap lights ..... appolp unit is more expensive (MH115$ and AH170$) but have 2 IR chips ... mars hydro old models have not

Now, we still have 100x3w, but only in Canada. wizgrow, sorry for the bad experience you have, we will do better next time. :Namaste:
I'd hold off and see if you can find the 100x3's - I have had pretty good success with those. I have been a staunch supporter of MH for awhile now but this is the 3rd time they have dropped the ball on me so I am bit disappointed with them as a company not the products aside from this new light ....... Last issue left me hanging with a no delivery (only 2 of 8 arrived) on lights - it takes a month lead time to reach me in my part of the world. I had to give away 4 fat plants to a friend to finish off. Now these lights....... I guess I can take them apart and replace some whites with some RED LED's................ These are for Flowering only so thinking I will replace 8 of them...... what do you guys think?

me too i have excellent results with 2X old panels (100X3) in a 2X3 area ... more than excellents results

so, i will give a try to this new one for a 1.5X1.5 area or maybe little larger .... even if i would prefer 60-65% reds

wizgrow, thanks for the reminding. Ebay is a different department. Maybe the name is confusing, same old mode 300w. Right now, the Old Model has been updated to 5w leds. It's better to check the item specific, which will put 5W 60leds, then there will no misunderstanding.:Namaste:
The IR is a waste from I have read as well. I have 4 of the 100x3's and they do great (all grows are SCROG) I thought that is what i was ordereing and spoke with Sara prior to ordering ....... when she said "Yes - those lights on Amazon are our Old Models" I assumed they just reduced the price and did not realize they changed the entire light and still marketing them under the same name :(

:circle-of-love:I will ask my Ebay colleague to make the difference more obvious to eyes.:Namaste:
yes, this is confusing and bad buisness ... i agree

same name, but not the same light

WizGro... I have 2 of the old style 100x3w... just got one of them today... and I have one of the new 60x5 old style... I have been using the 100x3w to veg a couple of autos and will add the 60x5w when I go to flower and so far it is working fine... I have also used them for fill ins here and there.... Sara had said a ways back that they would not be selling them on their regular site anymore and only on ebay and amazon and that after all the 100x3w were gone all there would be is the 60x5w's and that they were not the quality they want on their site but needed a cheapo model to keep up with the fakes on ebay and such... The only major difference I can see is that the 5w only has one ffan but it seems to be fine and the wattage from the wall is not quite as high but again for the money... you can't go wrong IMO......:circle-of-love:

Hey Denise - long time :)

Not here to beat up on MH...... Sara and I spoke last night and she recognized her mistake in telling me they were the same light. I ordered before the release of the info back on 6/11 but just put them into play. I am to just make due with what I got and fix them myself. As for the new spectrum and all the white: Been there already with a mistake on my Igro/CTlites. Still no expert but gaining some competence after a year now with 4 flower tents .......and getting a sense "Of what works" - and can only say that swapping out alot of white to the more reds that should have been there originally gained and sustained over 20% more yield -

So no bashing - just going to make the changes and update if there are any replacement issues for others in the same predicament as myself :)

Hmm... easy or not, it's much up to your techniques, lol, changing diodes are not difficult. We have tutorials on Youtube for changing diodes. :Namaste:
hmmmm maybe not a bad idea to change some leds for red ones lol ...... reallly not sure, but maybe a good idea lol

we can do it easily at home Sara?

:circle-of-love:thanks
I have already had to change 16 COB's out on Igro/CTlite...... it's not that hard even if very time consuming - what I could use here is some advice on the amount of white to red replacement. Might need to take this over to the lighting section. I was kind of hoping I was not the first to encounter this so came here first.

Going to have to through this out on Amazon as a buyer beware in case they think they getting the old light as well.

Back
Top Bottom