Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

:
A couple pictures of my Cherry Bomb getting close to harvest. Grown under a Mars II 900
IMG_20150831_091422.jpg

IMG_20150831_091358.jpg

Absolutely beautiful my friend.......:circle-of-love:

Hi guys/gals!!

I ordered a 144 x 3 earlier this year. Set it up in a 36" x 20" x 64", capn style recirculating top feed w/ grow cubes. Did one criminal + manifold style and made lots of mistakes along the way. Still pulled just under 4 zips dry of superb herb. Second round no manifolding, just lots of LST.. Expecting 6-8 zips this round using Torpedo by VIP!!!(bubblegum x bubblegum)

I have been quite pleased with the performance of the 144 thus far. Which inspired me to purchase what I thought would be a 48 x 5w light for veg. Ended up recieveing a 48 x 3. Ive contacted them and am hoping it won't be a nightmare to get sorted out. So far, it hasn't been a very smooth process. I lost my patience with Sean this morning after the mistake was blamed on me... Repeatedly. Ive since emailed him again with pics, I'm really hoping it will be taken care of without any further issues!!!?!?! I'll leave it at that for the moment.

As far as my 144 x 3w reflector goes. Is it possible to upgrade a 144 x 3w to 144x5w!? Or is it Too much to get into, and better to purchase a new 144x 5 and sell the 5 month old 144x3 at a discounted price!?!?

:party::party::party:Congrats, Uncle! Time for party! Mars Pro, the updation of Sun, will give you better.:cheesygrinsmiley:

Hi Sara,
Not sure if I'm prepared for anything better. Good is good enough for me.
:winkyface:

Thanks again for convincing me to try the Sun Series. No regrets.
:thanks:

Ordered the Mars II 700 Saturday, just waiting on my tracking number. I've got flowered clones rooted and revegging now, so hopefully it's here by next week so we can get moving. Ready to start my second grow.

From the results you guys are posting, my confidence in my purchase is high. Especially with a 700 in my small space.

Ordered the Mars II 700 Saturday, just waiting on my tracking number. I've got flowered clones rooted and revegging now, so hopefully it's here by next week so we can get moving. Ready to start my second grow.

From the results you guys are posting, my confidence in my purchase is high. Especially with a 700 in my small space.

Congrats on your purchase!! You will be very happy. Just make sure you start your light very high (36" or so) to let the little ones get used to the new "sun" you are giving them. Then move your light down a little every few days while they adjust. :peace:

Hi guys/gals!!

I ordered a 144 x 3 earlier this year. Set it up in a 36" x 20" x 64", capn style recirculating top feed w/ grow cubes. Did one criminal + manifold style and made lots of mistakes along the way. Still pulled just under 4 zips dry of superb herb. Second round no manifolding, just lots of LST.. Expecting 6-8 zips this round using Torpedo by VIP!!!(bubblegum x bubblegum)

I have been quite pleased with the performance of the 144 thus far. Which inspired me to purchase what I thought would be a 48 x 5w light for veg. Ended up recieveing a 48 x 3. Ive contacted them and am hoping it won't be a nightmare to get sorted out. So far, it hasn't been a very smooth process. I lost my patience with Sean this morning after the mistake was blamed on me... Repeatedly. Ive since emailed him again with pics, I'm really hoping it will be taken care of without any further issues!!!?!?! I'll leave it at that for the moment.

As far as my 144 x 3w reflector goes. Is it possible to upgrade a 144 x 3w to 144x5w!? Or is it Too much to get into, and better to purchase a new 144x 5 and sell the 5 month old 144x3 at a discounted price!?!?

Personally I would think upgrading goes into power supply, drivers along with the 5W bulbs so trying to upgrade would be easier said than done. I have only had my 144x5s for a week so I can't say too much about them:

They run nice and cool, 24 x 7 not hot at all.
Light penetration is good. I can hold my hand below my canopy (6" of thick LST growth) and still see light hitting my hand
I have 3 in a 5x5 Grow tent and I cannot find a bad spot to put my plants, nice footprint.

I would keep your 144x3. I bet you will find a place for it one day. Grow spaces are like tattoos, you can't stop at one.

Hi guys/gals!!

I agree, dont sell it, keep it. You will wish you had kept it one day when you go looking for another light for that new project, and that is one the best lights that MarsHydro has ever put out.

:thumb:

Personally I would think upgrading goes into power supply, drivers along with the 5W bulbs so trying to upgrade would be easier said than done.

Correct Griz. Trying to do all of that yourself even if you were good at it would probably cost way more than just buying a new one by my estimate. Then no guarantee it would work properly because the original light was not designed for those upgrades. Just my thoughts.

Anyone know if :420: has a "QOTM"? I think ColoradoGriz has it, Hands Down!

"I would keep your 144x3. I bet you will find a place for it one day. Grow spaces are like tattoos, you can't stop at one. "

Vote Today!
:bravo::slide::goodluck::peacetwo:

Correct Griz. Trying to do all of that yourself even if you were good at it would probably cost way more than just buying a new one by my estimate. Then no guarantee it would work properly because the original light was not designed for those upgrades. Just my thoughts.

Thank you all for your replies!!! I am quite happy with the 144 x 3 for my small tent. Works out to just over 50 real watts draw per sq ft(54watts perr sq/ft I believe 270real draw/5sq) ft. It can be kept within 6" of the tops, ect. The thing it lacks is the penetration needed for fat coca cola size buds... Atleast in my humble opinion. I mean I have a few of the larger colas that are forearm length at the moment... Just a few days short of 4 weeks 12/12.... The spacing is excellent and the hairs are already reaching each other. Just have my doubts as to how thick the 144 x 3 can get the colas!?!? Time will tell for sure. But regardless of what it is able to do, I can bet my last little scud that the 144 x 5 with its extra 45 watts draw and stronger diodes will do it quite a bit better!!!

Question is with the 144 x 3 only being 5-6 months old do I keep it for the next 2 1/2 years ... Knowing I could have fatter scuds the whole time!? Or do I bite the bullet and get the newer version now and let the 144 x 3 collect dust!?

Also, if the 48 x3/5 I have in my veg is 5 watt and my flower light is only 3 watt.. won't that be bad for the stretch when swapping between rooms!?!?

Wish I knew how to post a pic... My little Torpedo"a" is quite a beauty!!! I'm talking wood like beginnings to all the stems before she swaps into hollow branches for delivering all the goodies!!! Fat indica like leaves in veg... and then skinny sativa leaves in flower... with explosive Fast flowering!!! Super impressed with this little lady!!!! Flipped her at only 5 weeks as I had read she would really come to life in flower. Flipped the switch kept her tied down and kept spreading her out. Keeping the 144 x 3 within 6" or so of the tallest colas but everything being pretty flat in general. She filled out the space quickly, and put out white hairs like Ive never seen before!! Already joining together and looking like she will be a monster!!!! Staring to sparkle up in the last week and that yummy gummy smell is iiiinnnsane!! I want to eat her up riiiight now!!! Chew on her stems and see if they can make bubbles!!!! Ha ha!!!!

ouffff! so many studies!

i will let you with your numerous studies and i will rely on my growing experience if you dont mind.

i had never disturb my plants with a safe green light ....... i know what happen when my plants are disturbed cause im growing them since 3 years.

green light are ok, you can use it at night cycle with no problem ..... i know it cause i tested it and i will never rely on "studies" for that kind of thing ..... i will test it

Well I gave you the path to water, its your choice to drink it...

I supplied credible research which is accepted by the science community but its your choice whether you want to believe scientists in labs with controlled studies or not. Regardless if you want to accept knowledge or dismiss it is your choice, but the study I posted is the truth. Green is NOT useless.

I'm sure you have heard the word "PAR" which stands for photosynthetically active radiation. If green did not drive photosynthesis, then the PAR range of color (from UV to IR and everything in between) would not include green. The fact that it does proves that green drives photosynthesis. I would highly suggest googling the title of that last study I posted and read all 15 pages of it. (that is if you care to increase you knowledge or not). If you take it a step further and look at the McCree Curve, which shows that yes, plants absorb green.

The Ed Rosenthal information is not exactly correct, he says blue light does not effect flowering and that is not exactly correct. Both blue and red light are responsible for initiating flowering.

A cryptochrome is a non photosynthetic protein that is signaled by UV, blue and green light.

The Cryptochrome Blue Light Receptors
Xuhong Yu, Hongtao Liu, John Klejnot, and Chentao Lina,1

Where Ed Rosenthol goes and says that "They are almost totally insensitive to green light and for this reason reflect it back to us while absorbing most other spectrums." which is wrong. If you read all 15 pages of the 1st post I made, (google the name of the abstract) you will see that like I originally said, green drives photosyntheis. In low light irradiance it is not as good as blue and red, but in intense light (high irradiance) then green light is more efficient.

Here are a few more studies show in fact, yes, Green light will effect plants, sometimes in positive ways, sometimes in negative. Dependant on the total spectral blend.

Plant Productivity in Response to LED Lighting
Gioia D. Massa1
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, 625 Agriculture Mall Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2010
Hyeon-Hye Kim and Raymond M. Wheeler
Space Life Sciences Laboratory, Kennedy Space Center, FL 32899
Cary A. Mitchell

If you think Green "safelights" don't effect plants...think again...

So to conclude... if ALL of these scientific research papers are showing plants respond to green light, how is green light useless?

Green light is not useless....
Yes, in some studies it shows counteractive effects vs red/blue light, but in other studies it shows increased photosynthesis, dry weight, effects on flowering time, elongation and growth traits......The information about green light is there, but it only does good if you stay open minded and accept scientific research, or decide to just rely on "regurgitated information".

come on Sara, you are giving different infos for the same question on differents days ..........

before you was saying 1 square meter need mars2 1200W and now you are saying it is overpower ......

well ....

the reality for 1M X 1M is.... 900W is minimum power ..... 1200W is good power ..... and 1600W is full power

im back now and i was missing you gang ....... the low intensity led growers community loll

:green_heart: thanks for the help Mike, MarsII 1600w and 1200w may be a little overpower. MarsII900w will be adequate. :Namaste:

20150831_084821.jpg
Go to Youtube and watch COFinest videos. He does a lot of amazing grows with those 144X3 lights.

I figured it out!! Here is a pic of little Torpedo"a" @ 3 weeks 5 days of 12/12 under 144 x 3 in 36" x 20" x 64" tent.. Capn style recirculating top feed using grow cubes and a #5 plastic cheapy!! GH flora series, florablend, cal mag, hydro guard!!!

love :hug: ya, thank you so much for the kind words. you guys are also very nice. :thanks: We will keep doing better.:ganjamon:
I have to say I have talked to a lot of led companies in the last few days in my search for a new setup to get back into growing and mars hydro has by far been the most prompt and helpful. They have my business as soon as my quarterly bonus check comes in

Back
Top Bottom