MaxYields' First Grow - Warlock - Alien Dawg - Berry Garcia - CFL Closet Grow

Hey 420magazine!!

Gonna give a quick text update while I have the time before my Architeture class!

First of all, thank you to everyone for all of your input and help, especially HunterNitro for that awesome wall of knowledge!

So I braved the 19 degree wind and snow this morning and walked to Ace Hardware and got some more swag for my grow room! I got 2 Thermometers a Hygrometer and a Digital Ph Probe. I have the Digital Thermometer at plant level, under the lights, and I have the Thermometer/Hygrometer hanging above the light. I still have to get calibration fluid for my Ph tester however, that will happen soon.

I am going to follow Hunter's advice and invest in the FoxFarm Organic line of Potting Soil and Liquid Nutrients. I will definitely use a mix of Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, Perlite, and Dolomite Lime in the 5 gal. pots I have already purchased.

Can anyone attest to FoxFarm Organic Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom in Bud production?

Thanks again for all of the info! Will post picture updates when there is something interesting to see.

Your skills are gonna get dangerously good, FAST!

Keep up the good work!

Your skills are gonna get dangerously good, FAST!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much mrrobert! I really appreciate that, I am trying my hardest to learn fast and adapt! I really do see myself thoroughly enjoying Marijuana Horticulture and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I'm glad to have experienced friends along for the ride!

I appreciate the kind words, have a wonderful day sir :Namaste:

Subbed for your grow! To answer your question about light height with CFL's. In the seedling stage you want to run them one around 6-8 inches because you dont want the seedling to stretch. If it starts stretching u can bring it closer. In your clone stage you do not need the CFL's close. The leaf "tacoing" upwards is a sign of heat stress and you having the CFL's to close. It seems you have raised you lights and the clones should recover as long as they are not damaged to much. Once you are in the flowering stage you can bring the CFL's as close as possible without burning them.

Thanks so much for this! helped me out on a few of those lingering first time questions I've had in the back of my head!

Also, Subbed Max! Like you said, we're in the same ballpark area for our grow!

Thanks a lot my man! I am glad to have ya along for the ride! I'm glad my post got the attention it needed to help you out as well as me!

Expect to see me in your journal!

--Unofficial Update--

Hey 420magazine!

I am back again with a quick little update for you all! These are kind of hard to fill with information because of the current stage of my grow, however I am just too excited about everything not to talk about it! This little grow room is quickly becoming my haven.

So this morning I woke up to the wonderful temperature of -1(F) and a blinding snow storm (outside of course, but my house was still freezing), after taking a shower and shivering since I stepped out of bed, I heard the lights and humidifier pop on in my grow room, and I quickly made my way to the ladies to warm up and spend some quality time with them. Haha.

So here is the update;
-Three days into the Vegetative Growth stage. No very obvious signs of new growth at this point (at least not to my less experienced eye), but I think I remember reading about how at some points in the growth cycle the roots have to catch up the the above ground portion... is this correct in anyway?​

-So after letting my Thermometer's and Hygrometer rest in their new home for 24 hours, I have determined that the Humidity stays right in between 19% and 23%, and the Temperatures stay anywhere from 79(F) to 86(F)... I can increase and lower the temperature by switching between power level 1 and 2 on my little fan... no more than 2 or 3 degrees at the most though.​

-I read on 420mag that during Vegetative Growth, plants like to sit in 50% to 80% RH... I figured my room was on the dry side considering where on earth I live, but 20% seemed... less than optimum. So I invested in a small cool mist Humidifier. It can run 24 hours on a full tank of water, and it brought the RH from 20% to 80% in a matter 2 hours... So I turned it down a notch and it stayed around 65% to 70% the rest of the day, I also made sure that it turns off with the lights so it doesn't exceed 30% during darkness.​

-Another thing I took into consideration when I bought my Humidifier, was finding one with a fan that produced cool mist. My room is already around the maximum optimal Temperature, and I didn't want to add anything that would push it up towards ninety degrees. Luckily, the cool mist Humidifier was the perfect option, It actually brought the Temperature in my room from 84(F) to 78(F) when I installed it, which was very pleasant. It hasn't gotten over 82(F) in there since.​

-I am still working on purchasing the ingredients for my new soil mixture (credit to HunterNitro for the mix) and also on getting the calibration fluid for my Ph meter. Hopefully both of those things will be taken care of by my next picture update.​

Thanks for following my journal everyone, as always... any suggestions / criticism / ideas / tips / anything is welcome. I am here for the full experience!
:Namaste:

--UPDATE #3--

Hey 420mag! Just a picture update of my closet, I think I finally got the perfect environment going on in there, these pictures where taken this morning at 9:00am, 4 hours after the Lights and Humidifier popped on.

Picture from outside that shows how I changed the fan setup, I put that little one in the middle so it is blowing air at the light which reflects it back down at the plants. That big one in the back was an experiment to see if I could keep the RH under 80% without having to turn off the Humidifier at certain points in the day. It worked, and it's also helping the babies grow some strong stems!

IMG_26949.jpg

4 hours after the Lights and Humidifier turned on, I think this is a pretty good environment. :)

IMG_26925.JPG

View of all the gear inside (I removed one of the standing lights so I could plug the Humidifier in to the timer).

IMG_26977.JPG

Close up of the Warlock. She doesn't look like she is suffering anymore, just has a bunch of dead leaves. ):

IMG_26957.jpg

Close up of the Alien Dawg, same situation for her.

IMG_26969.jpg

The only other updates I have are that there still aren't any roots growing out of the drainage holes in the cups, waiting to see those before I transplant.

Anyways guys, thats all for now! Working on getting my new Soil and Nutrients, its been so cold lately I haven't wanted to make a trip to the grow store): haha. That will change soon though!

Thanks everyone for following!
:thanks:

I have been using Fox Farms nutes the only thing I can say about it is that at full strength will burn most plants except this auto Im growing now which is just a freak of nature probably due to the ruderalis genes.

I have been using Fox Farms nutes the only thing I can say about it is that at full strength will burn most plants except this auto Im growing now which is just a freak of nature probably due to the ruderalace genes.

Yeah, most journals I have read, the growers have recommended (and themselves used) less than the recommended amount. I will most likely experiment.

Bought some Super Thrive on my way home from class today. Was curious how dry I should let the Soil in the cups get before I give em a watering with a feeding of Super Thrive... So far I have just been watering when the first inch is dry, and stop once it starts dripping out the bottom.

The bottle says a drop per cup of water, and I think if I want them to hold a cup of water I should let the ladies get pretty thirsty.. Let me know what you all think on the strength I should use and when I should use it.

Thanks!

--Quick Update--

This morning I checked on the ladies at about 7:00am, 1 hour after the Lights and Humidifier popped on. The soil was pretty dry so I figured I would give them a watering and a feeding of Super Thrive to jump start their day! The bottle of Super Thrive said to add 1 drop per cup for indoor plants, however I was a little weary of those instructions so I added 1 drop to 2 cups, mixed it up well and gave a cup each too the ladies.

Then I read that you use a drop per gallon.... So i took my ladies to the bathroom and ran 2 cups of water through each. Does anyone think I should flush them a little more or should they be okay now? I guess I'll have to find out eventually, but a heads up if I need to fix anything would be much appreciated!

Other than that, the Temperature inside the Grow Room this morning was 72(F) and the RH was 45%. Plants look healthy other than their injured leaves. Probably going to give them a Club Soda watering the next time they are dry, was thinking about it today however I wasn't sure if I should stack that on top of the Super Thrive.

That's it for now, thanks to everyone who is sticking around and following this grow!

You want to pick up your plants to see when you need to water them. They will feel very light and you can tell they are dry. Cannabis loves for the soil to dry out and then soak it. If you water when the soil is still wet, again your leaves will get droopy from over watering. I dont have experience on the superthrive. I have some and going to use it for my cloner in the near future however.

--UPDATE #4--

Hey 420mag!!!

Some changes starting to take place in my grow room! We are 5 days into Veg. I am very excited to announce that there is not only new growth showing itself on the Warlock and Alien Dawg.. but we have added a new lady to the family!! So in this update I will introduce to you all Berry Garcia, and also show you all the current status of the Warlock and Alien Dawg!

--General Update: Warlock--

-After letting her soak up the water in her cup, I gave her a watering of Soda Water... It felt weird but I have only read good things about it. Other than that I have just been giving her some LST, to get her ready for the intense scrogging I plan to do with her. I love watching her leaves start reaching for the light after I tie her down a little. Anyway, other than that she looks like she has made a pretty full recovery, and new growth has started sprouting out of the lower nodes!​

--General Update: Alien Dawg--

-Nothing much new with this little lady, some new growth has started to pop out of the lower nodes just like the Warlock, no LST on her. No Soda Water for her... only giving her tap water for now, doubt I'll see any difference between the plants but if three isn't any detriment to the Warlock I don't mind.

--General Update: Berry Garcia--

-Not much to say, Clone from Karmaceuticals Denver, Rockwool planted into Royal Gold Basement Mix... This mixture has a good amount of Coco Coir in it. Going to see how much the plant likes it. Probably going to give it a dose of Super Thrive next time the soil is dry... we will see.​

Picture of the room, looks good with three plants in my opinion!

IMG_270210.jpg

Current Temperature / Humidity.

IMG_27006.JPG

Picture of the Warlock.

IMG_270712.jpg

Alien Dawg.

IMG_270911.jpg

Berry Garcia.

IMG_270310.jpg

That's it for now everyone, thanks for following along!!!

--Quick Update--

So I just wanted to post some new info while I was at work, can't stop thinking about the grow so I figured I would indulge myself with a small update.

So yesterday I decided I would go out and buy the ingredients for my new soil mixture and the nutrients I plan on using. I went to Cultivate in Denver and bought the following:
  1. FoxFarm "Ocean Forest" Soil
  2. FoxFarm "Happy Frog" Soil
  3. Perlite
  4. Dolomite Lime
  5. FoxFarm "Grow Big"
  6. FoxFarm "Big Bloom"
  7. FoxFarm "Tiger Bloom"

I decided to mix my soil yesterday as well and let it cook until I transplant into it. This is the mixture I used:
  • FoxFarm "Ocean Forest" (A little less than 2 gallons).
  • FoxFarm "Happy Frog" (A little less than 2 gallons).
  • Perlite (A little less than 1 gallon).
  • Dolomite Lime (5 Tablespoons).

Mixed all of that up in my 5 gallon pot, then watered it thoroughly. Once it started flowing into the drip tray I stopped and covered it up. It filled the drip tray to the top, so I took the pot out and poured the run off into a mason jar. That is basically the beginning of an Organic Compost Tea (minus a lot of compost), so I figured I could water the clones with it while they are still in the Red Solo Cups... Does that seem like a good idea?

The FoxFarm Nutrient Schedule says that I can start using it 1 week in.. so I figured I would start maybe this Wednesday. I am going to let the soil get nice and dry before I water with nutes. Last watering was yesterday afternoon.

That's all I can think of for now... The Berry Garcia will definitely spend its whole life in the Royal Gold "Basement Mix" while the Warlock will most definitely be spending the rest of its life in the FoxFarm/Perlite/Dolomite Mix. Not entirely sure what the Alien Dawg will be planted in yet... that will be determined a little later.

Want to thank HunterNitro for the Soil Mix. Can't wait to see how it turns out:)

DO NOT WATER YOUR CLONES WITH THAT RUN OFF!!!! That run off from your mixture will be over 1600 ppm!!! It will burn them up in 3 days. You should not be watering that soil unless you have plants in there. Everytime you water and get runoff you are wasting the nutrients and good stuff in the soil. If i was you i would get some bigger pots and transplant your clones into the pots with the soil mixture you have made up. You will see a dramatic growth rate in 7 days if you do. Just plant them and water them until runoff and wait for the soil to completely dry out. Depending on the pot size it can take up to 5-6 days.

Also you do not want to use your nutrient line up at this point! Once you transplant to the new soil mixture you have you can go 4 weeks or more without adding ANY NUTRIENTS. ONLY PLAIN water for 3-4 weeks OR MORE!

If you want to be successful with your grow im going to tell you simply:

1. Transplant to 1-5 gallon pots what ever you are going to use with the new soil mixture.
2. Water with plain water pHed to 6.5 for 3-4 weeks or until they show signs of needing nutrients.
3. Then you can start your nute line up at 25-50% of recommend dosage and work your way up if you feel the need.

Thats all that needs to be done and you will see amazing growth rates.

DO NOT WATER YOUR CLONES WITH THAT RUN OFF!!!! That run off from your mixture will be over 1600 ppm!!! It will burn them up in 3 days. You should not be watering that soil unless you have plants in there. Everytime you water and get runoff you are wasting the nutrients and good stuff in the soil. If i was you i would get some bigger pots and transplant your clones into the pots with the soil mixture you have made up. You will see a dramatic growth rate in 7 days if you do. Just plant them and water them until runoff and wait for the soil to completely dry out. Depending on the pot size it can take up to 5-6 days.

Hahaha I knew it was a good idea to ask before I used it.. Thought it might be a little strong, could I just put that water back into the soil I got it from before I transplant the clones? Or at this point should I just throw it out and transplant the clones as they are?

They are going into 5 gal pots with the mixture you gave me. They have been in the Solo Cups for 7 Days now. Going to Transplant the Warlock and the Alien Dawg when I return home from work. I'll let the Berry Garcia get a solid soil and root ball (7 days in the Solo Cup, just like the others) going before I put her in a 5 gal pot.

I will hold off on the nutrients for sure, maybe just a little Super Thrive to help with the transplant? Other than that straight PHed water sounds good to me. I will definitely make sure to water the pots only when they need it, I know about what it feels like dry.

Thanks for your help! As you know this is my first grow so I am prone to thinking things (like the run off) aren't as serious as they actually are haha.

Back
Top Bottom