MaxYields' First Grow - Warlock - Alien Dawg - Berry Garcia - CFL Closet Grow

No need to worry about that run off at this point... Just toss it. Also be careful of the supertrive! Its very stong also. I have some but have never used it yet. I bought it for my aero cloner. I believe i read somewhere you only use like 1 drop per gallon of water. So be careful if you are going to use it.

I wish I lived in Denver. Must be alot easier to get supplies.

Lived here my entire life (minus the two years I had to finish high school in Georgia... moved back the day after I graduated hahah. no joke.) and I have no complaints. This literally is my favorite place on earth, and that most likely wont change (unless I move to Jamrock... that place is so beautiful and laid back). It also just so happens my favorite Horticulture store (Cultivate Denver) is 4 blocks away. They have EVERYTHING. I get lost in there for hours, and end up just talking to all the stoned workers and owner about weed haha. I love it. It is definitely easier to find grow stuff here than ANYWHERE in the south. No offense but I hated living in the South haha.

Any updates? Wanna see these babies growin!1

I'll supply a little text update with this response and then a big picture update tonight! I have been trying very hard to give the ladies some time to grow in between updates so they can show off their noticeable progress :) I felt kinda dumb looking through my journal and the plants look exactly the same on all three pages.. LOL. But I know most new growers are probably the same way, just so excited to share! Thanks for showing interest, makes me so happy!

No need to worry about that run off at this point... Just toss it. Also be careful of the supertrive! Its very stong also. I have some but have never used it yet. I bought it for my aero cloner. I believe i read somewhere you only use like 1 drop per gallon of water. So be careful if you are going to use it.

Hey Hunter! Thanks again for all of the advice, I tossed the run off and learned that run-off is not suited for watering clones! haha, anyways, I read all over this site and online and found about 1000 different techniques when using Super Thrive... So I said, "fuck it." and decided to just do what I thought best.. and learn from my mistakes. More on that in my next post.

--Quick Update--

Hey 420magazine,

So I am gonna give you a little update on the ladies, and fill you in with all of the activity that has been going on inside the grow room! A lot has been happening, however after looking over the first three pages of this thread, I decided I should give my ladies, and you all a break in between updates! I felt pretty dumb seeing all of the plants looked exactly the same in ALL of the pictures I have posted haha... but I'm guessing most beginner growers are this excited about their grow! So I'm over it!

Anyways, it has been exactly one week since my last update! So here is whats going on.

MONDAY || NOVEMBER 17, 2014

The Transplant.
  • The Warlock was transplanted into a 5 gal pot. The soil mixture inside the pot consists of 2 gallons Happy Frog \ 2 gallons Ocean Forest \ 1 gallon Perlite \ 5 tablespoons Dolomite Lime.
  • The Alien Dawg was transplanted into a 5 gal pot. The soil mixture inside the pot consists of 2 gallons Happy Frog \ 2 gallons Ocean Forest \ 1 gallon Perlite \ 5 tablespoons Dolomite Lime.
  • The Berry Garcia was transplanted into a 5 gal pot. The soil mixture inside the pot consists of 2.5 gallons Happy Frog \ 2.5 gallons Basement Mix.

The Feeding Schedule.
  • The Warlock, Alien Dawg, and Berry Garcia were all fed a gallon of Denver Tap Water (had been sitting in its containers for about 6 days). I mixed 2 drops of Super Thrive in for all of their feedings.

The Lights.
  • I have been messing around with the light hood I made, and it seems that around 8 inches above the ladies makes them the happiest... Going to make sure it stays about this height the entire veg cycle.

The LST.
  • I have made some hooks out of those plastic garden labels and have been using those to LST the ladies. I have one hook on each, and at this point I have them tied down in a position that has the most node sites and leaves facing upwards.

The Grow Room.
  • Average Temperatures:: Lights on: 78-88(F) Lights off: 62-75(F)
  • Average Humidity:: Lights on: 58-82% Lights off: 20-30%

So that about sums up what happened last Monday... Its been 7 days and a lot has happened, most of it within the last few days. I was originally going to add the update from yesterday into this post, however I am thinking about leaving work early because today has been so slow..... So in that case I am going to wait until the picture update that I have planned for tonight!

Thanks for following along everyone!! More to come!

• Average Temperatures:: Lights on: 78-88(F) Lights off: 62-75(F)
  • Average Humidity:: Lights on: 58-82% Lights off: 20-30%

Just curious why is your humidity lower with lights off? Its usually the opposite. If the lights are on it heats up and dries out the moisture and lights off RH usually skyrockets.

Try and keep your RH around 60 65% during veg. I have read that anything over 75% drowns the plant as it cant transpire the moisture and suffocates the cannabis plant. Just some tips to keep in mind. Do you have any updated pics! Cant wait to see em.

--UPDATE #5--

Hey 420mag!

Sorry I didn't post any pictures last night, got home from work and decided to relax and get high.. then forgot.
:bigtoke::oops:
So here is what has transpired in the Grow Room the last three days!

SUNDAY || NOVEMBER 24, 2014

The Feeding Schedule.
  • All of the ladies got a gallon of Denver tap water (had been sitting in its containers for about six days) with the following nutrients;
    -4tsp FF Big Bloom / 2tsp FF Grow Big / 1 drop Super-Thrive.​

I wish I had taken a picture of the ladies when I fed them and then the next morning... the growth was INCREDIBLE!!!! haha I actually couldn't believe it. These nutrients did some work for sure haha.

In regards to the Humidities being lower at night, its because I don't have a Humidity control at this point, so I have the Humidifier plugged in on the timer so it turns off when lights are off... precisely because I didn't want it to get to humid in there.

Here is a picture of the shelf above the Grow Room, makes me happy to have a bunch of soils and nutrients and what not up there!
IMG_27178.JPG

Here is a picture of the Grow Room, you'll notice I tidied up a bit. I like the way it looks right now.. Going to start building my ScrOG Net soon!
IMG_27149.jpg

Here is a picture of all three of the ladies. Warlock is up front, Berry Garcia to the Left, and Alien Dawg to the Right.
IMG_27209.JPG

Close up of Warlock, finally some growth! So excited to see her start growing again, definitely the furthest behind from that initial light shock in my opinion... but still hangin' in there! I'm a proud father.
IMG_27229.jpg

Here is a close up of the Alien Dawg, she is looking really good now. Definitely mostly recovered rom the initial light shock. Lots of new growth on her, and the green on her leaves looks pretty great in my opinion. However some of her leaves have an odd curl to them... Nothing I am worried about though!
IMG_27276.JPG

And here is the Berry Garcia!!! This little lady obviously had no trouble adjusting to her environment and she is LOVING the nutrients haha... She has exploded with growth.. so many new leaves and the new growth at her internodes have turned into branches! Very excited for this little lady, I hope she isn't so far ahead of the other two that it causes problems... we will see!
IMG_27249.JPG

Here is a close up of the oddly curled leaves on the Alien Dawg. Still nice and green though!
IMG_27318.jpg

And here is a close up of the new growth at the top of the Warlock, it looks like it is going to split off nicely into three main branches at this point... which would make me very happy.
IMG_27366.JPG

That about does it for this update! I will say again that I am very excited to see the ladies start growing.. I am hoping to start seeing noticeable differences daily soon! As always, all advice and criticism is welcome! I am always looking for advice to become a better grower!

Thanks for following along everyone! More to come!

--ScrOG Net Update--

Hey 420mag!

So I found the inspiration to build my ScrOG Net earlier tonight and get it installed in the Grow Room before we get to far along with the grow! I didn't have to buy anything, just found some scrap wood, screws, and some string and cut everything to the right lengths!

I think it all turned out very well, so here are some photos of what the grows room looks like with the ScrOG Net installed. Had to move the fans around but I think it looks cooler now anyways haha!

IMG_27398.JPG
IMG_27407.JPG
IMG_27429.JPG
IMG_27448.JPG
IMG_27468.JPG
IMG_27488.JPG

I am curious if you guys think I will have to lower the Net or if I will need to raise my plants up closer to the Net... Let me know what you guys think, I would rather not Veg for any longer than 3 more weeks.

Anyways, thanks for following along everyone!

Oh, also wanted to let you all know that the light is basically touching the ScrOG Net... it is only that high in the pictures because I wanted to get it out of the way.

sweet looking net - very clean - good spacing - I like it!!

sweet looking net - very clean - good spacing - I like it!!

Thanks mrrobert!!! Luckily for me many aspects of growing appeal to my architectural and OCD sides haha.. So if I have to build something it will most likely look clean:)

Thanks for the compliment!

ALSO!! Your Papaya buds look amazing :O :O I mean good gracious... I hope mine turns out half as well as yours! That entire grow was a beaut.

Thanks mrrobert!!! Luckily for me many aspects of growing appeal to my architectural and OCD sides haha.. So if I have to build something it will most likely look clean:)

Thanks for the compliment!

ALSO!! Your Papaya buds look amazing :O :O I mean good gracious... I hope mine turns out half as well as yours! That entire grow was a beaut.

wow thanks maxyields - i appreciate that! yes same here im an electrical engineer and very detail oriented - I love this hobby to DEATH lol.

Finally something where the more detailed and precise you are directly relates to your overall outcome lol

--Quick Photo Update--

Hey everyone! Been away from the house for two days so there has been some noticeable growth for sure!! I took the ladies off of their LST hooks and am letting them stretch up towards the light. Excited to feed them this Sunday and see some growth explosions!!! Anyways, too the photos!

Outside View.

IMG_280111.jpg
IMG_28029.jpg

Warlock.

IMG_281112.JPG
IMG_281410.JPG
IMG_281511.jpg
IMG_28178.JPG
IMG_281813.JPG
IMG_28222.JPG
IMG_28235.JPG
IMG_28265.jpg

Berry Garcia.

IMG_28286.JPG
IMG_28305.JPG
IMG_28318.JPG
IMG_28346.jpg
IMG_28389.jpg
IMG_284011.jpg

Weird growth were the Berry Garcia was topped.. was debating to cut it off, but I figured why not see what happens.
IMG_28427.jpg

Alien Dawg.

IMG_28448.JPG
IMG_284611.JPG
IMG_284710.JPG
IMG_28506.JPG
IMG_28528.jpg
IMG_28559.jpg

Thats it for now!:Namaste:

Looking good. Just because the growth is deformed dont cut it off. What would be the purpose of cutting off the growth you are working so hard to get!?! Let em grow!!!! See what they are going to do. =)

--QUICK UPDATE--

Hey 420magazine!

So this is just a quick update on whats been going on in the closet, I will be back later today with a picture update, as the ladies are being fed in a little while. Also, updates will be less frequent (as you have most likely already noticed), because I have moved. My grow room however has not! So I will be taking my nice camera to the grow room once a week for picture updates.

For reference, this is OFFICIALLY WEEK THREE FOR ALL PLANTS.

The ladies have been growing furiously!! Last Sunday they were all fed 6tsp Big Bloom // 3tsp Grow Big // 2tsp Tiger Bloom // 1drop Super-Thrive and haven't shown any signs of nutrient burn or distress at all! I will most likely keep them on full strength nutes unless I run into problems.

They have all been on regiments of LST since being transplanted into the 5gal pots, and on Thursday (December 4, 2014) were all topped. Topped the Berry Garcia in one spot, the Warlock in 3 spots, and the Alien Dawg in one spot. New shoots have been growing fast and were definitely ready for a topping... They should grow pretty perfectly for the ScrOG Screen if things keep going the way I want.

I mapped out the most likely Nutrient Schedule based on the strain descriptions and other people's soil ScrOG grows. Here it is:

--NUTRIENT SCHEDULE--

WEEK: 3 || Dec 7, 2014 ||
-Big Bloom: 6 tbsp
-Grow Big: 3 tbsp
-Tiger Bloom: 2 tbsp

WEEK: 4 || Dec 14, 2014 ||
-Big Bloom: 3 tbp
-Tiger Bloom: 2 tbsp​

WEEK: 5 || Dec 21, 2014 ||
-FLUSH​

FLIP || Dec 28, 2014 ||

WEEK: 1 || Dec 28, 2014 ||
-Big Bloom: 3 tbsp

WEEK: 2 || Jan 1, 2015 ||
-Tiger Bloom: 1 tbsp​

WEEK: 3 || Jan 8, 2015 ||
-Grow Big: 2 tbsp

WEEK: 4 || Jan 15, 2015 ||
-Grow Big: 2 tbsp

WEEK: 5 || Jan 22, 2015 ||
-Grow Big: 1 tbsp

WEEK: 6 || Jan 29, 2015 ||
-FLUSH​

WEEK: 7 || Feb 12, 2015 ||
-FLUSH​

WEEK: 8 || Feb 19, 2015 ||
-HARVEST​

• DEFOIL #1: December 23, 2014.
  • DEFOIL #2: January 2, 2015.

--OPTIMAL DRYING & CURING--
  • Chop Date: February 19, 2015.
  • Trim Date: February 19, 2015.

• Drying: February 19 - February 23.
  • Brown Bag Cure: February 23- March 6.
  • Mason Jar Cure: March 6 - March 13.

ALSO! I was hoping to get everyones input on a decision I am trying to make!

I want to get myself a Christmas Gift and purchase the Mars Hydro 96x3W LED Reflector Grow Light and exchange the hood I made for that bad boy when I switch the ladies into flower. Then I might be able to start a perpetual grow... we will see! Anyways, I have only read and seen good things about this light, I am basically convinced already to get it unless anyone can find me a better deal. Just looking for input!

Thanks everyone for following along! More to come!

Just give you some tips on the drying and curing. You should dry for 3-5 days with a RH of 60% and temp around 70 degrees F. After that you can put the straight into jars and start the curing and burping jars daily. If you brown bag them after there hang drying i feel that would dry the buds out to much for a good cure.

Personally i would recommend a 400-600 watt HPS cooltube for your grow. You can get the complete 400 watt kit for $122 free shipping and you will see 3 times the yield and growth than that LED... My temps for my 600 watt HPS is only a 5-6 degree rise from room temps... Thats is if you wanna step up to the big boy toys =). I hesitated and went back and forth and almost ordered a LED.... I have made the switch to HPS and will never look back until new technology comes out that shows me different results.

--UPDATE #6--

Hey 420magazine!

Sorry the photo update is so late, I got to my grow room the other day, got my camera all ready... just to remember I didn't grab my memory card out of my computer. haha oops....

So that leaves us with an update on the girls general health and grow room stuff, as well as some shitty iPhone pictures. I will be posting some nice photographs later this week. I finished finals today, so I will have more free time to tend to these girls and keep you all updated!

WARLOCK

So the Warlock is doing well, lots of new growth. The three new tops that started to shoot after the initial topping (seconds after the clone was transplanted into soil) have turned into big branches, each with at least five new nodes. Two of these main tops were topped again last Thursday, as well as the lowest top. In hindsight I should have left the shortest top alone and clipped the three tallest ones... but oh well! New growth is evident daily and all three tops were successful on this little lady. Shocked for no more than a night in my opinion.

The leaves on her are starting to get big as well, the entire plant is a very rich green and soft / semi-velvety to the touch.... Feels extremely healthy, very happy with the growth on her considering the initial light shock she received.

Sunday Feeding (December 7, 2014);
30ml FF Big Bloom || 15ml FF Grow Big || 10ml FF Tiger Bloom || 10ml PBP Grow || 3ml PBP Cal-Mag

IMG_217611.jpg

IMG_219813.JPG

BERRY GARCIA

This little lady has had the advantage from the start, no light shock and immediately into some well made and well mixed soil. She has been growing like crazy ever since she hit the soil, she has 4 main tops at the moment. There were only three up until last Thursday, decided to trim the tallest top about 2 inches below the net... new growth is looking great, and is taking off rather nicely. My train of thought here was to let the two lower tops catch up.. which they have done exceedingly well at if I do say so myself.

The leaves on this lady are already GIGANTIC... especially compared to its sisters. I am loving the dark green, the defined ridges and the exceptional symmetry on this plant so far.... so excited to see her turn into a grown woman! Feels much like the Warlock, seems to be just about as happy and healthy as her too!

30ml FF Big Bloom || 15ml FF Grow Big || 10ml FF Tiger Bloom || 10ml PBP Grow || 3ml PBP Cal-Mag

IMG_217410.jpg

IMG_219918.JPG

ALIEN DAWG

This little girl... is falling behind. She is OBVIOUSLY the runt of this pack, and I feel bad about her. She started to do very well after the initial light shock, and actually for the first two weeks after seemed to be doing better than the Warlock... but now she is growing painfully slow. She is about half the size and thickness of the other two, with lots of bushy growth, but no outward progress as of the last week or so. Not really sure how many formal tops there are, however I can tell there are at least two obvious ones and they both got topped last Thursday.

Besides her size, she seems very healthy. Dark green leaves with light green new growth, defined ridges, velvety to the touch. I am not totally sure what is slowing her down, I really doubt it could be her nutrient feeding as the other two are showing no adverse effects to the food, my only other explanation is too agressive of a topping?

On top of all of those issues.. she gave me one more surprise this morning when I went in to check on them before my finals.... She is showing signs of sex..... I found about 3 sets of pre-flower pistils (or at least what I believe to be... the evidence is overwhelming in my opinion haha) and I don't know what to think of it... She has been on a continuous 18/6 light cycle just like the other two (which are showing no signs of sex yet). I am baffled haha, if anyone has any explanation to why this might be happening, I would greatly appreciate your input!

30ml FF Big Bloom || 15ml FF Grow Big || 10ml FF Tiger Bloom || 10ml PBP Grow || 5ml PBP Cal-Mag

IMG_218117.jpg

IMG_220015.JPG

Preflowers...

IMG_220115.JPG

Well thats all I have for now! more to come as always, and again thank you all for following along! Here is a group shot of the girls from above the net!

IMG_219613.JPG

Hey 420mag!

So I wanted to get some advice on some things. This Sunday will officially be week FOUR of the grow, and I am trying to decide how to approach the last weeks of veg, the switch to 12/12, and the transition into Stretch. So here are my questions and concerns:

1)Do I want 75% of the ScrOG net covered BEFORE I switch to 12/12 photo-cycle, or do I want 75% of the net covered by the end of stretch?

2)Going off the first question, how much tucking should I be doing in stretch? I would like to achieve a canopy like in HunterNitro's Papaya Soil Grow... completely even. (So Hunter, your advice is most welcome!!!)

3)I am using FoxFarm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog soils, as well as FoxFarm Big Bud, Grow Big, and Tiger Bud Liquid Nutrients. I am considering getting the Soluble Nutrient Trio (Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching) to help work towards big dense beautiful nugs. Can anyone attest to the reliability and effect of those nutrients?

4)Should I flush before flip?

5)How many hours of darkness should I give the ladies before 12/12?

Thats all I can think of for now, thank you all very much in advance for your help and advice!

Hey! Ill try and help you out a little!

Fill 75% of the net in veg. Switch to 12/12 and continue tucking for the next 2 weeks which is most of the stretch which will fill the rest of the net to 100%. I actually tucked mine a little to long so like i said 2 weeks should be about perfect and is usually recommend.

I dont have experience with those nutes so give it a go! The fox farm line is always good from what ive heard. I havent really experimented with any bulking agents and would love to start! I may try some on my current grow as i just switched to flowering.

Personally i dont flush when I switch... I just follow my feeding chart for my nutes and when its time to water i water with week 1 of flower nutes. I usually only water with around 75% if recommended dosage until i see signs of them needing more. I have found that around 85-90% recommended dosage of botanicare nute line is perfect for soil growing where only 50-60% of the same line is needed in DWC hydro.

Personally i just flip to 12/12 and give it no thought at all lol.... Just set your timer when you want lights on and off and let it go.

Good luck buddy!

Hey! Ill try and help you out a little!

Fill 75% of the net in veg. Switch to 12/12 and continue tucking for the next 2 weeks which is most of the stretch which will fill the rest of the net to 100%. I actually tucked mine a little to long so like i said 2 weeks should be about perfect and is usually recommend.

I dont have experience with those nutes so give it a go! The fox farm line is always good from what ive heard. I havent really experimented with any bulking agents and would love to start! I may try some on my current grow as i just switched to flowering.

Personally i dont flush when I switch... I just follow my feeding chart for my nutes and when its time to water i water with week 1 of flower nutes. I usually only water with around 75% if recommended dosage until i see signs of them needing more. I have found that around 85-90% recommended dosage of botanicare nute line is perfect for soil growing where only 50-60% of the same line is needed in DWC hydro.

Personally i just flip to 12/12 and give it no thought at all lol.... Just set your timer when you want lights on and off and let it go.

Good luck buddy!

First of all HunterNitro, seriously thank you SO MUCH for all of the help and input you have given me. You alone have been my mentor for this grow and you have no idea how much I appreciate it!!

Thank you for clarifying the different stages of ScroGing for me, based on your journal I had planned on tucking for two weeks of stretch... Just makes me feel much better getting clarification from someone with experience. This also makes it much easier for me to make the decision to flip to 12/12.

And unless I see a problem, I will probably follow your advice, avoid the flush and water with week one of Flower nutes (most likely 75% FoxFarm Trio Dosage, 25% Botanicare Pure Blend Trio, and 75% FoxFarm Water-Soluble Trio... but obviously that could all change haha). Also I will let the ladies get 16 of the usual 18 hours of light on the last Veg day, then switch to 12/12 at 9pm that night to start flower.

I am also pretty set on buying the FoxFarm Water-Soluble Nutrient Trio... I kind of made the decision to get it before I asked you all haha just figured unless someone gave me a really good reason not to use this trio, I would. I LOVE FoxFarm so far, I had read a lot about how FoxFarm soils can be too hot for plants or how full strength nutes can cause mad nutrient burns... but so far I have had 0 problems. I actually added more nutrients to the full strength dosage!

Also, just for everyone's information.

I am still debating whether to get a Mars Hydro 98x3W Reflector Series LED or a 600W HPS system..... Hunter has made some good points towards the HPS system, and up until his recommendations I had been leaning towards that LED... I have seen the outcomes of both systems, and honestly at this point in my growing career.... I'm not really convinced that one will perform better than the other.

My set up at this point is very small (will grow, already have plans), and on top if its size it is in a closet with NO ventilation and I can NOT install ventilation in there.. This is because the Grow Room is at my old house, which I was renting (roommates still live there, which is why the plants can still be there), therefore I cant fuck up the door or closet walls by sawing holes for vents. At this point if the door is fully closed, the optimal conditions rise to 90+ degree temps and 85% Humidity... Which is why the door has a constant 1 inch crack which seems to keep things perfect.

I was debating removing the door and purchasing a cheap replacement door that I would be able to saw holes in, but I haven't made much progress in that regard. So at this point, that LED is looking like the better option because I have no way to vent a big HPS bulb like that

ALL input on this situation is welcome, I wont be purchasing whatever it is I decide to purchase until after Christmas so I have some time.

Thanks in advance for all of the input everyone!

Back
Top Bottom