Mdlroad Outdoor Desert Grow

What do you mean by hardened off
Hardening means,gradually letting them get used to hot sun.
Maby first day just hour. Second day 4 hrs, and so on till they can be in sun with out any ill effects.

And here they are. Put outside at 1pm mountain time. Temp 65 RH 25% Forecast low 51°f. Wish me luck this may not turn out well. Tomorrows forecast 74°

IMG_20210316_133532077_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210316_133522648_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210316_133516917_HDR.jpg
Morning of the 2nd day. Temp 49° RH 61% Dew point 36°. Forecast High 75°. We are exactly at 12/12 daylight starting today. Looking good. We speak of RH as a huge factor relative humidity is just that. It's relative to the air mass. Warm air can hold more moisture. If you have the exact same amount of moisture in the air and the temp rises the RH falls if the temp falls RH rises even though the amount of moisture didn't change. A more accurate measure of humidity is the dew point. Meaning that given the current water vapor in the air that is the temp that dew forms. The air can't hold anymore. That's why you have dew on the car,grass etc in the morning

IMG_20210317_072615429.jpg

IMG_20210317_072611050_HDR.jpg

Morning of the 2nd day. Temp 49° RH 61% Dew point 36°. Forecast High 75°. We are exactly at 12/12 daylight starting today. Looking good. We speak of RH as a huge factor relative humidity is just that. It's relative to the air mass. Warm air can hold more moisture. If you have the exact same amount of moisture in the air and the temp rises the RH falls if the temp falls RH rises even though the amount of moisture didn't change. A more accurate measure of humidity is the dew point. Meaning that given the current water vapor in the air that is the temp that dew forms. The air can't hold anymore. That's why you have dew on the car,grass etc in the morning

IMG_20210317_072615429.jpg

IMG_20210317_072611050_HDR.jpg
Here is my case in point. The temps,RH and dew point listed above was at 6:30 am. At 9:40 the temp has risen to 57° the RH has dropped to 48% but the dew point has risen to 38°. Despite the drop in RH it's actually more humid now

Here is my case in point. The temps,RH and dew point listed above was at 6:30 am. At 9:40 the temp has risen to 57° the RH has dropped to 48% but the dew point has risen to 38°. Despite the drop in RH it's actually more humid now
Thanks for explaining. So is there an actual humidity vs a RH? What do hygrometers measure? It’s all so confusing to me.

Thanks for explaining. So is there an actual humidity vs a RH? What do hygrometers measure? It’s all so confusing to me.
Hygrometers measure the rh. For example 50% rh at 60° is. Much more humid than 50% at 80°. You can make it rain in a grow tent. Reach a high temp and high rh. Drop the temp rapidly at it will rain in the tent.Growing indoors rh is fine to use as a measurement. Outdoors like we are dew point is more accurate. The heat index is driven by the dew point. I'm originally from North Carolina 90° and dew point in the 70s is worse than 105° here.

Thanks for explaining further. Being outdoors I guess not much we can do about it besides create a micro climate with other plants to help raise the humidity around it, maybe wedding the ground down also would help around it.

Thanks for explaining further. Being outdoors I guess not much we can do about it besides create a micro climate with other plants to help raise the humidity around it, maybe wedding the ground down also would help around it.
The plants in the background are 15 foot tall oleanders. IDK if that helps or not. Here in Yuma we're next to the Colorado River. There is a series of canals that run thru the city. Different parts of town get water on different days. Behind the oleanders is 1 of the canals on Wednesday's we get water. There is a valve in the backyard that opens to underground pipes and waters our citrus trees. Also a small ditch in front of oleanders. That's how we keep our citrus trees alive and well

IMG_20210318_084656032_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210318_084649337_HDR.jpg

The plants in the background are 15 foot tall oleanders. IDK if that helps or not. Here in Yuma we're next to the Colorado River. There is a series of canals that run thru the city. Different parts of town get water on different days. Behind the oleanders is 1 of the canals on Wednesday's we get water. There is a valve in the backyard that opens to underground pipes and waters our citrus trees. Also a small ditch in front of oleanders. That's how we keep our citrus trees alive and well

IMG_20210318_084656032_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210318_084649337_HDR.jpg
That’s awesome that you have irrigation! It sure helps

Hygrometers measure the rh. For example 50% rh at 60° is. Much more humid than 50% at 80°. You can make it rain in a grow tent. Reach a high temp and high rh. Drop the temp rapidly at it will rain in the tent. Growing indoors rh is fine to use as a measurement. Outdoors like we are dew point is more accurate. The heat index is driven by the dew point. I'm originally from North Carolina 90° and dew point in the 70s is worse than 105° here.
I live on the coast in Virginia and you are correct on the heat and humidity. I would rather have an ass whooping then to go outside when it's 90/90. It gives you a heat index of 122°. We get that a lot over this way and it's rough on outdoor grows also due to the growth of fungal and bacterial diseases. But still better then the dry heat on a plant I think. Just need to keep some air circulating.

I live on the coast in Virginia and you are correct on the heat and humidity. I would rather have an ass whooping then to go outside when it's 90/90. It gives you a heat index of 122°. We get that a lot over this way and it's rough on outdoor grows also due to the growth of fungal and bacterial diseases. But still better then the dry heat on a plant I think. Just need to keep some air circulating.
Yeah I know lived at the coast for 4 years

I can remember it being 90/90 in Michigan. I didn’t have air con so I would put a box fan on a upside down laundry basket at the foot of the bed, strip nekked and nap in the fan breeze until the sun went down and I could open the windows. :eek: I much prefer the dry air in AZ although it poses it own challenges. Trying to dry my bud outdoors is going to take some MacGyver level thinking outside the box, lol.

I can remember it being 90/90 in Michigan. I didn’t have air con so I would put a box fan on a upside down laundry basket at the foot of the bed, strip nekked and nap in the fan breeze until the sun went down and I could open the windows. :eek: I much prefer the dry air in AZ although it poses it own challenges. Trying to dry my bud outdoors is going to take some MacGyver level thinking outside the box, lol.
Have the outdoor girls a drink this morning. 5 days in the sun looking healthy despite the extremely dry conditions

IMG_20210321_111848381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210321_111843239_HDR.jpg

Have the outdoor girls a drink this morning. 5 days in the sun looking healthy despite the extremely dry conditions

IMG_20210321_111848381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210321_111843239_HDR.jpg
Looking good! They look healthy.

Back
Top Bottom