Tommboy1973’s Outdoor Desert Autoflower 2021

I can't help your ahead of me. Hope to join you soon
Thanks for being here! Can’t wait to follow along with your harvest!!
I have been searching the forums like mad, and think the humidity ideal range for drying is 40-60%. Of course that’s not at fridgetemps. The thread link that @BigD13 posted on the previous page doesn’t mention humidity while drying, only cure %.

Ok, guess I’ll clean and fire up the goodwill humidifier and see if it works. Might try laying a wet towel on a cookie sheet in the bottom of the box first as someone suggested to me. See if that works.
And my husband and kids do get frequent nosebleeds here!

Just showing what I did with some of my fan leaves.
I bet the chickens loved those.

Here are my current dry temps/humidity
#1- inside box in the shed. Lid slightly open and 2 vents to allow airflow.
#2-inside the lunch sack paper bag with bigger buds, inside the mini fridge.
#3-inside the fridge
#1 temp seems a little high to me. Those may dry pretty fast. What’s the room temp in the shed?
#2: I’ve always used jars for the low and slow so I don’t have experience with bags.
#3: I try to keep my fridge temp in the mid to upper 40’s. That seems to really slow the drying process down. Depending how dense the buds were, last year it took me from 3-4 weeks to get the buds down to 62%rH.

I bet the chickens loved those.

#1 temp seems a little high to me. Those may dry pretty fast. What’s the room temp in the shed?
#2: I’ve always used jars for the low and slow so I don’t have experience with bags.
#3: I try to keep my fridge temp in the mid to upper 40’s. That seems to really slow the drying process down. Depending how dense the buds were, last year it took me from 3-4 weeks to get the buds down to 62%rH.
Thank you!
#1- Room temp inside the shed is 80. That’s why I’m trying the fridge method. Temps should drop tmo to low 70’s, high 60’s for the next week, that should help.
#2- I was worried about lack of air flow in the tiny fridge so thought I would give it a try?
#3- I’ll turn it down a bit.
And yes! The chickens loved those, they always come running when they see me coming with leaves.

The thread link that @BigD13 posted on the previous page doesn’t mention humidity while drying, only cure %.
The indoor thermometer that I used last has an internal memory that lets me look at a graph of the both the temp & rH. Looking back at the graph from last year, the rH was always in the 20’s. After a week or two, I didn’t worry so much about the rH as I did the temperature, because I could control the temp but not the rH. As long as I kept seeing condensation in the jars, I knew they weren’t anywhere near ready.
AF2EEA6C-E09E-4EA8-A0C3-FE917602AC2C.jpeg

Temps/humidity currently
79D1BB56-CF82-4C99-AC97-B5C880470C09.jpeg

1-box in shed
2-bag in fridge
3-on shelf in fridge
4-in house
Going to go out in a few min and open fridge/bags/box to air out a little

Temps/humidity currently
79D1BB56-CF82-4C99-AC97-B5C880470C09.jpeg

1-box in shed
2-bag in fridge
3-on shelf in fridge
4-in house
Going to go out in a few min and open fridge/bags/box to air out a little
I’m a little worried that it’s way too high humidity. Opening them up for a few minutes to air them out didn’t seem to drop it at all. I have to go to work in a few minutes so I won’t be able to check it again till about 6 o’clock tonight. Least everything still smelling good.

I forgot to mention though that the little freezer compartment is collecting condensation, so that’s good I guess. And there was no condensation in the jar

I think low and slow works best in brown paper bags rather than jars, as the paper will transfer moisture more evenly from the buds and the buds can be laid flat without many layers, as opposed to stacking them in jars.

That's why the folks in the low and slow thread switched to brown paper bags. Here is my favorite L&S summary post.
Perfect!!!

Wooo...All caught up!!! I really enjoyed everything I read and learned. I wanted to try an auto outdoors this year so it was good to get a bit of a crash course! Congrats on the harvest so far!

Using rain water
I was supposed to get rain barrels installed last year...still have not done it! I'm part of the professional procrastinators club.
I used as my “greenhouse “ a 3x3x4 hardware cloth enclosed frame I had made last year to keep critters from eating my veggie starts.
Damn law makers are idiots. I hope they don't amend your proposition to be more specific on what a greenhouse means to them.

my new jewelers 30x/60x loupe. Got a few cool shots that took me forever. It was definitely a learning curve holding the loupe over my phone camera and holding still!! It was fun tho
I cannot help but laugh with you because I went through the same process. I got myself a wireless microscope a couple months ago. So much easier! My phone connects to the microscope via wireless connection. I think I spent like $30 or $40 for it.
that's why I grow in organic living soil

I would have to agree with this sentiment completely! The soil buffers so much of my ignorance. Haaa haaa.

I'm following this journal to the end! You got this.

Wooo...All caught up!!! I really enjoyed everything I read and learned. I wanted to try an auto outdoors this year so it was good to get a bit of a crash course! Congrats on the harvest so far!

I was supposed to get rain barrels installed last year...still have not done it! I'm part of the professional procrastinators club.

Damn law makers are idiots. I hope they don't amend your proposition to be more specific on what a greenhouse means to them.

I cannot help but laugh with you because I went through the same process. I got myself a wireless microscope a couple months ago. So much easier! My phone connects to the microscope via wireless connection. I think I spent like $30 or $40 for it.

I would have to agree with this sentiment completely! The soil buffers so much of my ignorance. Haaa haaa.

I'm following this journal to the end! You got this.
Thanks for reading my journal so far! It’s as much my easy way to document everything for my records as it is for anyone to learn from, glad it can be both!

As far as the laws go, thankfully the first time you “break the law” it’s just a $100 fine, so I’m willing to gamble, lol.

As little as it rains here, I’m amazed at the amount of water I’m able to capture. And my plants love it. I use it for my more PH and salt sensitive tropical fruits as well as my cannabis. I’m a procrastinator as well so I get it, lol, but you should get a set up soon, you won’t regret it!!

Which microscope did you end up going with? Apple or Android? I was going to go with a scope, researched and read thru reviews, got overwhelmed and gave up, lol.

I want to try to get organic eventually. Everything else I grow is organic.

I’m still learning how to use this site, not sure how you got your reply to look so cool with the snippets of quotes instead of one big block like mine, if that makes sense? Also, just wondering if you had trouble with pics loading. I guess I’m supposed to resize them to make them load faster. Not sure if I can go back and change that now? I’ll play around with my next post and see if I can figure it out.

not sure how you got your reply to look so cool with the snippets
Are you using a phone or computer? You can highlight the sections you want and then hit the "quote" button.
Screenshot_20210323-063320_Chrome.jpg

As for images, you have a few options. If you upload them to your post, then they get embedded into your post at normally full size. I have done that a lot actually. If you want to keep your images in one place (your own gallery) then you want to upload your images to the member gallery. After it you have uploaded the images there (no need to resize...at least I don't), you can insert them into your images using the camera button...
Screenshot_20210323-064334_Chrome.jpg

After you hit that button, you will see your images from your gallery. It then embeds the image in the gallery into your post at a smaller size. Your post will look like this...
Screenshot_20210323-064640_Chrome.jpg

But when you publish it, the image will be viewable.

Let me know if that helps

Are you using a phone or computer? You can highlight the sections you want and then hit the "quote" button.
Ha! Got it! Thanks so much!!

OK next I need to figure out how to upload photos to the gallery, the tutorial post on it seems to be outdated as the icons don’t match what I see, unless it’s different because I’m on a phone?
I’m off work tomorrow so I’ll play around with it more then.

Yeah, I think it's not updated to match the current icons. You can select the "Add Media" button from the three line navigation button on the top left. Then select which category you want to upload to. Typically it would be "Member Galleries". Your next choice will be "Upload" or "Embed". If you want to keep it in your gallery then select the upload option. If you select embed, then it puts it directly in your post only. The same thing as hitting picture button. Did that make sense?

Yeah, I think it's not updated to match the current icons. You can select the "Add Media" button from the three line navigation button on the top left. Then select which category you want to upload to. Typically it would be "Member Galleries". Your next choice will be "Upload" or "Embed". If you want to keep it in your gallery then select the upload option. If you select embed, then it puts it directly in your post only. The same thing as hitting picture button. Did that make sense?
Yes, thanks!

Update on the harvest so far. 1 week today since partial chop

Fridge method-Low and slow- buds are slowly drying out, still looking and smelling good! Top pic from paper bag in fridge, bottom pic from jar in fridge. All of these were roughly trimmed.

The traditional hang dry went into jars Friday night, 5 1/2 days of drying. They were still a little too wet so I’ve been pulling them out to dry and think I finally got them stable at 62% today. I didn’t trim the fan leaves off these to slow the dry, and seems like it will be kinda a pain to trim them now but will see once they're dry.

2 pint jars of trim and larf

And what’s left of my plant. Temps will be in the low 90’s by the end of the week so curious to see how it does.

and last but not least the new autos. The ones on my previously used mix of Sunshine Mix and perlite are doing well. The experiment in the local guys “Fox farms” equivalent not doing as hot. I’ve pretty much wrote it off but letting it go to see what happens. Think that one will be a 1 budder, lol. They are a few days over 1 month old.

And thanks Baked, I was able to figure out how to upload and attach my pics, so hopefully they load better for you guys! I wouldn’t been able to do it without you!

Back
Top Bottom