Tommboy1973’s Outdoor Desert Autoflower 2021

I grew a plant that got super beaten up in the sun and would wilt badly every day in the heat, but it's buds were the stickiest I've grown, not the frostiest, just sticky as anything where the sugar leaves looked like they were 'varnished'. So your girl is probably responding similar to make itself more resin to protect from the climate!
I hope you're right. I'm gonna try a few autos outside. It'll be borderline to finish before the heat. I will probably need to bring em in and out depending on the temps. They call it the desert for a reason. The natural plants have evolved over millions of years. We need one of those smart breeders to develop a heat resistant strain

I hope you're right. I'm gonna try a few autos outside. It'll be borderline to finish before the heat. I will probably need to bring em in and out depending on the temps. They call it the desert for a reason. The natural plants have evolved over millions of years. We need one of those smart breeders to develop a heat resistant strain
We can all only really address growing in our own environments. Mine grow on a stone tiled balcony that heats up quite hot, I once measured the temperature at 6:30pm (way past the hottest time of the day) and it was 36C (about 97F) because of all the radiant heat coming from the tiles and combined with the direct sunshine. I get some major wilting sometimes. Here's a pic of my girls last year showing a bit of dehydration having a tough time in the heat, they still gave me 23oz though!

We can all only really address growing in our own environments. Mine grow on a stone tiled balcony that heats up quite hot, I once measured the temperature at 6:30pm (way past the hottest time of the day) and it was 36C (about 97F) because of all the radiant heat coming from the tiles and combined with the direct sunshine. I get some major wilting sometimes. Here's a pic of my girls last year showing a bit of dehydration having a tough time in the heat, they still gave me 23oz though!
Ok from early June till late Sept. It will be 100f + everyday avg high in June 102. They should finish by then. Can't grow out in summer 115npretty common

Hope I can get that kinda result was quality good

You’ve asked a few times but not sure you ever got an answer. Your trichs are developing the heads quite nicely, they are mostly clear . You want milky :)
Thanks Ghostwriter! It’s so hard to tell clear from milky as a beginner. Sometimes some even look amber but when I use different lights they look different. Well, this is the reason I just went ahead and went for it, to learn!! So learning I am :)

Ok from early June till late Sept. It will be 100f + everyday avg high in June 102. They should finish by then. Can't grow out in summer 115npretty common
Same here. Hoping to finish my second batch before the extreme heat! I don’t grow anything (besides trying to keep my fruit trees alive) in the middle of summer.

How are your ladies doing? Been following your grow!
Thanks! They are doing good I think?!? Hard to know for sure as this is my first grow in over 20 years. Just came on to post a few more pics from today. I’m somewhat stressing out over the tricome thing . Sometimes I think I see some amber, depends on the lighting. In the led from the loupe they all look clear and/or milky but in natural light I think I see some ambers. The buds are very leafy so look weird to me too but I’ve read that can happen with autos outside.

Starting to see some yellowing of the lower fan leaves so thinking it’s getting close.
8DE02831-802F-4AFE-BD0C-89C4E49018CE.jpeg
D4773783-5C0E-49E6-8C73-D17CD85B6486.jpeg

Trying to keep an eye on tricomes. These were taken without any additional light, and it was kinda windy so they’re not the clearest but best I could do for today. I welcome any advice on how they’re looking if anyone has any!!
F26A448A-9442-4DC6-8E30-BB9142C83282.jpeg
C4C26FC5-D96E-48D0-BA32-B96E28CD6576.jpeg
5164C662-BEBD-425E-8F4E-309E2B7A5F5C.jpeg

I don't see any amber, and keep in mind that yellowing lower leaves is also a sign of nitrogen deficiency :).
Thanks Shed! I can always count on your help. Hmmm..well the GH week 6 of the schedule I’m using (not the general hydro chart but one I found on this forum) doesn’t use any of the grow but the micro still has some nitrogen. I did just fertilize again today so I guess I’ll see how the lower leaves look in the next few days. Maybe I need to add some of the grow formula next watering (which I would usually only use plain water.

So I have now some yellowing of the tips of the smaller leaves, in addition to the yellowing of the fan leaves that started earlier in the week. @InTheShed you suggested it might be nitrogen deficiency. If I could call on your experience again and ask another couple questions? I just fertilized on Wed with the micro and bloom (GH trio). Would you suggest I just add the grow formula today for the nitrogen? I usually fertilize once a week with a plain watering in between. It rained here last night (yay, rain barrels full!!) so would it hurt to add some more water with nutes today? Or would you wait until normal nute day (Wed)? Tricomes still looking clear and/or milky, having a hard time telling between the 2.
AC03A3C3-EABB-4C97-9D23-D695EFFCEDE6.jpeg
A04C31EC-2D99-47FE-971A-4F22F8DD818D.jpeg
2BC04B97-BA14-4E1B-BF8B-CD44072A3E56.jpeg
6089B098-3437-4DE1-8B95-5982B852E437.jpeg
1CF0CB2E-A55A-4ACB-9EF8-2B4B6B6E8384.jpeg
6C2B9A2A-EFD9-4429-807E-D9D0596D97F9.jpeg

Or could this be nutrient lockout? I did give a hefty dose of the bloom formula Wed. I was following the schedule I found on here which was 20 mls of bloom, 6 ml micro and no grow, and not the general hydro one (which I’m going to follow next grow) and the dose of bloom is way higher. I’m researching the forums like crazy and just getting more confused. When I look up nutrient deficiency/toxicity a lot of the symptoms overlap, making that much harder to figure out what’s causing it. I’m not overly worried yet but don’t want to make it worse.

Or could this be nutrient lockout? I did give a hefty dose of the bloom formula Wed. I was following the schedule I found on here which was 20 mls of bloom, 6 ml micro and no grow, and not the general hydro one (which I’m going to follow next grow) and the dose of bloom is way higher. I’m researching the forums like crazy and just getting more confused. When I look up nutrient deficiency/toxicity a lot of the symptoms overlap, making that much harder to figure out what’s causing it. I’m not overly worried yet but don’t want to make it worse.
I wish I could help Tommboy. But that's why I grow in organic living soil, too much doctoring around with bottles and back and forth measuring things. The growers who have got it sorted have generally have reached a point of intimately understanding their plants in the environment they have for them, and are aware of their needs and the nutrient lines they are using thru that experience, but for me it would be like going to a supplement shop and trying to buy a bunch of capsules for my nutrient/eating needs instead of opening the fridge and choosing what I need from real food.

The lower leaf yellowing is probably fairly normal at this late stage, known as senescence, it is tricky knowing when to add more Nitrogen, easier when the plant is a long way from finishing to add some. But towards the end you have to decide if it is really needed or not, I have been considering the same for my own plants in similar later stage flowering but I am currently choosing to hold off thinking that they can utilise the lower leaves and draw some nutrition from them if they to.

My understanding of leaf tip burn is it is usually from an excess of added nutrients, I don't know how that tallys/coincides with the feeding you have been doing. I am sure Shed will be able to give you a reply based on far more experience than me!

I wish I could help Tommboy. But that's why I grow in organic living soil, too much doctoring around with bottles and back and forth measuring things. The growers who have got it sorted have generally have reached a point of intimately understanding their plants in the environment they have for them, and are aware of their needs and the nutrient lines they are using thru that experience, but for me it would be like going to a supplement shop and trying to buy a bunch of capsules for my nutrient/eating needs instead of opening the fridge and choosing what I need from real food.

The lower leaf yellowing is probably fairly normal at this late stage, known as senescence, it is tricky knowing when to add more Nitrogen, easier when the plant is a long way from finishing to add some. But towards the end you have to decide if it is really needed or not, I have been considering the same for my own plants in similar later stage flowering but I am currently choosing to hold off thinking that they can utilise the lower leaves and draw some nutrition from then if they to.

My understanding of leaf tip burn is it is usually from an excess of added nutrients, I don't know how that tallys/coincides with the feeding you have been doing. I am sure Shed will be able to give you a reply based on far more experience than me!
Thanks for your response. I grow everything else organic, don’t know why I decided to go with bottled nutes. Guess I just wanted a formula to follow for my first few grows. I’ll definitely be experimenting with all organic in future plantings!

Here’s my new girls. Trying to get one more harvest in before the brutal summer temps hit. 2 Pebbles Pranks Autos from E-M seeds (GSC x Fruity Pebbles OG). Trying out a local guys soil on one and the Sunshine Mix on the other. And 1 Blood Banana (Evil Banner x Banana Blaze) in Sunshine. Weather got cold again here so off to a slow start. Need to get the supplemental light back on for them tmo. Haven’t started any nutes yet.
022D829A-1002-4E15-BA21-D48831188C4E.jpeg

The one is Sunshine mix seems to have a head start on the one in the local mix.
92E27DFE-652D-497F-A800-7E00B6937EE6.jpeg

F19BD985-6B77-4D91-A7C7-DD97621F2F0D.jpeg

Does GH recommend alternating with plain water? Between that, the super dose of bloom, and the pouring rain it makes it tough to know what's next!

I would wait for it to dry out a lot before doing any fertilizer again, and then I'd do grow and bloom because plants need nitrogen in flower.

Nice new babies! Sunshine mix has no nutes in it so I'd start fertilizing with the second set of true leaves.

Back
Top Bottom