Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling! Help!

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling!! *HE

[BUMP]
:bump:

I was just sitting here contemplating TOPPING this small plant...
I want to get practice in and I figured why not try it on the LEAST HEALTHY plant...

Im going to watch a few videos on the subject while I wait for the amazing replies everyone is about to send me!!

***EDIT*** (like 2 hours later hahahaha)
OK so I went and watched like 23 videos on TOPPING, FIMING & SUPER-CROPPING and Im even leaning toward doing all three plants...
I have NEWBIE nerves though and I dont wanna screw them up LoL...

If I were to do it I think I would go with TOPPING...It seems the easiest and most fool proof way to keep the plants bushy and TOP-full if you will...

THOUGHTS PLEASE !!!!! :adore:

:thanks:

:ganjamon:

:peace:

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling!! *HE

It does look like the start of a deficiency here is a guide to look through, once you figure out which deficiency you have do a search on how to resolve it. Search tab at the top of this thread on the right side.

Cannabis_Leaf_Deficiencies_Chart.jpg

I much prefer to fim rather than to top, it's less stressful for sure.

I am going to try the FIM at some point
But I went ahead and topped it last night...
Fingers crossed...We will see what happens

It will be well documented in my grow journal
:blunt:

It does look like the start of a deficiency here is a guide to look through, once you figure out which deficiency you have do a search on how to resolve it. Search tab at the top of this thread on the right side.

Thanks for the chart Lab...
I took off the affected leaves last night and topped the plant...
I will post in here todays analysis when I get home and check on the girls

:tokin:

UPDATE FOR 07-11-14

today the Small Plant looks good except for the spreading "decay"
every time i cut off the affected fan leaves
the next set up catches it

watered and nutes today just as any regular day (tuesdays & fridays)

see pictures below and let me know what you think!!
im going to check the chart from Lab

20140711_180232.jpg
20140711_180239.jpg
20140711_180249.jpg
20140711_180256.jpg
20140711_180304.jpg
20140711_180356.jpg

Don't cut the affected leaves off this time. I want to see how it progresses. I'm stumped, sorry, but it could be spotting before nutrient lockout happens, or it could be a deficiency. The good thing is it's happening slowly so, its not severe. Shouldn't kill your plant, may reduce yield.

Don't cut the affected leaves off this time. I want to see how it progresses. I'm stumped, sorry, but it could be spotting before nutrient lockout happens, or it could be a deficiency. The good thing is it's happening slowly so, its not severe. Shouldn't kill your plant, may reduce yield.

No problem
I will leave them on and post a report after tonights checkup

UPDATE FOR 07-12-14

Lowest fan leaves on the Small Plant look awful
Leaving them on for a while per SoilGirl's request :thumb:

The rest of the plant looks great
Pictures below

20140712_190005.jpg
20140712_190020.jpg
20140712_190025.jpg
20140712_190240.jpg
20140712_190252.jpg
20140712_190047.jpg
20140712_190158.jpg

well..the top looks good lol. I really don't know, but I've seen that splotchy coloring on my plants before in my earliest grows. I don't remember what got it to go away unfortunately, and I don't want to give bad advice. Have you been adjusting your pH a lot? Because maybe it is just from fluctuation...

well..the top looks good lol. I really don't know, but I've seen that splotchy coloring on my plants before in my earliest grows. I don't remember what got it to go away unfortunately, and I don't want to give bad advice. Have you been adjusting your pH a lot? Because maybe it is just from fluctuation...

Thank you!
I have only been adjusting the pH of the water/nute mix and I have only done that twice so far
once on the 11th (last friday) and once on the tuesday before that

the pH reading on the runoff was red ACIDIC on friday again same as the first test that previous tuesday

per your post in my other thread I will not feed tomorrow as scheduled
but i will give them a full watering of pHd water and observe them thru till friday and see if anything changes

:tokin:

UPDATE for 07-13-14

Things are looking rough hahahaha
see pics below and HELP!!!! LoL

20140713_195812.jpg
20140713_195828.jpg
20140713_195838.jpg
20140713_195844.jpg
20140713_195851.jpg
20140713_195857.jpg
20140713_195908.jpg
20140713_195917.jpg
20140713_195925.jpg
20140713_200057.jpg

Raiven are you getting water on the leaves when you water it, it could just be water stains on them? I remember seeing this before on my plant months back...I will go back and see if I can find a picture and look at my notes.

Raiven this is what I found in my notes and pictures. I am not saying this is what is wrong with yours but I had a Mag. deficiency. I started using Cal-Mag Plus and it hasn't been back since.

What is your tap water ppm? Mine was 118 ppm and that is too low, not enough trace minerals in it. I was told that it should be no lower than 200 ppm and no higher than 400 ppm, (that is the good range), if it is below that you will need Cal-Mag Plus. Also if your ph is below you will lock out nutes and this could be the first sign of that...not sure just saying.
P1040614.JPG
P1040608.JPG

Your small plant appears to have a phosphorous deficiency and possibly a calcium deficiency. Your medium size plant appears to have either a developing phosphorous deficiency or a calcium deficiency. I believe your larger plant is better able to deal with the adverse conditions.

I believe your plants deficiency's are most likely from 2 things
1) FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil is considered to be high in nutrients and are often too high in nutrients for seedlings and small plants.
2) The addition of FoxFarm Nutrients to an already high nutrient soil has resulted in a nutrient buildup in the soil and has also caused the soil pH to drop out of a favourable pH range. The FoxFarm Nutrient Schedule also calls for regular flushing, have you been flushing your plants pots?

I believe you have a nutrient buildup in your soil that has also resulted in your soils pH dropping out of favourable pH range and you should flush your soil with at least twice the amount of pH adjusted water as pot size or until the runoff is pH 6.5.

I notice the amounts you list for your nutrient mixture, are those per gallon or per quart?

The FoxFarm nutrient soil recommended dosage is for soils that are not already high in nutrients. I would use 1/2 the recommended dosage and see how your plants react.

Here is the FoxFarm Nutrient Feed Schedule for Soil

Foxfarm_Soil_Systems_Feeding_Schedule.jpeg

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

For vegetative growth I would use a 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness lighting schedule. I read a study where lighting schedule versus root length was tested and plants grown under a 16/8 lighting schedule grew the longest roots, 18/6 was not tested. I was made aware of a study where lighting schedule versus growth was tested and plants given at least 5.5 hours of darkness grew the most.

A soil or soiless mixture lower in nutrients is more appropriate for use with the FoxFarm Nutrient Feed Schedule.

Here is my soiless mixture

I use peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae for my plants. I would mix your soiless mixture in a ratio of 60% peat moss, 20% perlite and 20% vermiculite. If you can get Pro-Mix HP you would only need to add 20% vermiculite and mycorrhizae. Vermiculite acts as a catalyst between nutrients and the plants roots as well as retaining moisture.

PRO-MIX_HP_MYCORRHIZAE.jpg

PRO-MIX HP Mycorrhizae - High porosity peat-based growing medium

https://www.hydro-organics.com earth juice rooters mycorrhizae

You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flowering. What size exhaust and fans are you using in your attic space? You may have to reduce the amount of Compact Florescent Lights you are using or increase the airflow to reduce the temperature in your grow area. If your humidity is too low consider using a cool mist humidifier either in your grow area or in the area where you air intake is.

Day 32
Veg. Day 21
07-13-14 7:30 pm

-Plant are really getting some height now
-All looking very healthy overall
-Large Plant looks amazing
---A few spots here and there showing up randomly on different leaves
---Cut top is healing nicely and the two tops coming out of it are growing very well
-Medium Plant is getting very full and looking very healthy
---Some "decay" similar to the Small Plant is stating to show on some of the fan leaves
-Small Plant looks good except for the affected leaves
---The lowest fan leaves are riddled with "decay" and one is really starting to curl upwards
-No water
-No nutes
-Temp.: 73 deg - 95 deg
---MAIN TEMP reading on meter at time of check was 77 deg
-Hum.: 25% - 66%
---MAIN HUM reading on meter at time of check was 35%
-24 hr light
-1/4 turn each plant
-Fanned directly most of the day

-------------
SMALL PLANT
-------------
20140713_195812.jpg
20140713_195828.jpg
20140713_195838.jpg
20140713_195844.jpg
20140713_195851.jpg
20140713_195857.jpg
20140713_195908.jpg
20140713_195917.jpg
20140713_195925.jpg
20140713_200057.jpg

---------------
MEDIUM PLANT
---------------
20140713_200121.jpg
20140713_200132.jpg
20140713_200137.jpg
20140713_200153.jpg
20140713_200233.jpg

20140713_200247.jpg

-------------
LARGE PLANT
-------------
20140713_200256.jpg
20140713_200301.jpg
20140713_200308.jpg

--------------
GROUP SHOTS
--------------
20140713_111704.jpg

Raiven are you getting water on the leaves when you water it, it could just be water stains on them? I remember seeing this before on my plant months back...I will go back and see if I can find a picture and look at my notes.

Hey Knot thanks for the advice!!
I am very careful not to get any water on the plants when feeding/watering...
With the dryness curling and brittleness of the leaves I dont think it could be due to water on the plant...
But then again this is my first time growing ANYTHING...EVER hahahaha

I am going to flush the plants out tonight and then observe them through till Friday which is the next feeding day...Today is also a feeding day but I am skipping it and just flushing to try and un-lock the soil...

I have to get the runoff to test in a good pH range and not the 4.0-5.0 that it has been...
Clearly I chose the wrong soil...But I searched for days online for SOILLESS mixes and I thought I read that the FFOF was soilless...Apparently not LoL

As for the ppm I am still kinda of in the dark about it ... I have read a little about it and that it is related to the EC but Im not sure exactly what to do with it ... How do you measure it ... what is it measuring ... how does it affect the plants... ETC

I am going to go do some research on it now so I dont sound so ignorant and like Im not willing to do any work myself hahahaha

:thanks:

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling! Help

Check out KingJohnC's post, he knows his stuff.

Whenever you have a problem, always check your PH first.
If you only see the problem on 1 or 2 leaves, and you remove them, and the problem almost immediately appears on the next leaves, that means there is an issue somewhere. It could be nutrient lockout due to high/low PH, or it could be a deficiency. There are also some situations where damaged roots from transplanting, and pests can cause problems to appear on leaves. Testing your PH will give you a better idea how to proceed.

Also, by leaving damaged leaves on, you let those leaves be "sacrificed" to keep the rest of your plant healthy and looking good while you correct the problem. I leave my ugly leaves on until they can easily be removed by hand without cutting. At this time they will be yellow, and/or some brown, and are pretty much useless to the plant.

Basically I go through this checklist when I see a problem:

Test soil PH. 6-6.8 ok then I know it's either nutes, or pests/roots.
Test soil PH. too high/too low, then I check how wet my soil is. Depending on the PH, and how much moisture is in the soil, dictates how strong I will mix my PH correction solution, and how much water I will use when mixing the batch.

Lets say my PH is ok, and I decide that its either nutes or pests. Do I see any bugs? Have I seen any? I watch the soil for signs of movement from larva. If I see no signs that it could be pests I move on. Nutes.. When did I last feed? What strength did I feed? How old is my plant? How well does my plant respond to different strengths of nutrients? All these things are important when mixing the strength of your nutes. If its been a while since I fed nutes, and the plant is getting huge, I mix a new batch of nutes appropriate to the plants age, life stage, and adjusted for the plant (some plants can take stronger nutes, others burn easily, this is trial and error for me, or you can research it if you're growing a common/known strain. But even plants of the same strain their tolerance can vary).

If I find that I have fed nutes recently, mixed strong enough, but I see pests, I have to identify the pest, and that will dictate how I go about eradicating it.

Once you've developed your own system (which should always start with verifying PH!) When you run into a problem you can fix it yourself easily in most cases.

:Namaste:

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling! Help

Check out KingJohnC's post, he knows his stuff.

Most definitely!

Whenever you have a problem, always check your PH first.
If you only see the problem on 1 or 2 leaves, and you remove them, and the problem almost immediately appears on the next leaves, that means there is an issue somewhere. It could be nutrient lockout due to high/low PH, or it could be a deficiency. There are also some situations where damaged roots from transplanting, and pests can cause problems to appear on leaves. Testing your PH will give you a better idea how to proceed.

The problem that you may have seen reading through this thread and my journal the last week or so is the pH level in the soil...Water goes in at nearly 7.0 & comes out 4.0-5.? in runoff...That is the result of yesterdays many many many gallon flush...

Also, by leaving damaged leaves on, you let those leaves be "sacrificed" to keep the rest of your plant healthy and looking good while you correct the problem. I leave my ugly leaves on until they can easily be removed by hand without cutting. At this time they will be yellow, and/or some brown, and are pretty much useless to the plant.

I left the decaying leaves in the pictures below on the plant for must be 4 days now and they were just too ugly to look at so I took them off last night...Cant wait to see what has happened since then!!!

Basically I go through this checklist when I see a problem:

Test soil PH. 6-6.8 ok then I know it's either nutes, or pests/roots.
Test soil PH. too high/too low, then I check how wet my soil is. Depending on the PH, and how much moisture is in the soil, dictates how strong I will mix my PH correction solution, and how much water I will use when mixing the batch.

Lets say my PH is ok, and I decide that its either nutes or pests. Do I see any bugs? Have I seen any? I watch the soil for signs of movement from larva. If I see no signs that it could be pests I move on. Nutes.. When did I last feed? What strength did I feed? How old is my plant? How well does my plant respond to different strengths of nutrients? All these things are important when mixing the strength of your nutes. If its been a while since I fed nutes, and the plant is getting huge, I mix a new batch of nutes appropriate to the plants age, life stage, and adjusted for the plant (some plants can take stronger nutes, others burn easily, this is trial and error for me, or you can research it if you're growing a common/known strain. But even plants of the same strain their tolerance can vary).

If I find that I have fed nutes recently, mixed strong enough, but I see pests, I have to identify the pest, and that will dictate how I go about eradicating it.

Once you've developed your own system (which should always start with verifying PH!) When you run into a problem you can fix it yourself easily in most cases.

:Namaste:

Excellent checklist and routine...I will need to incorporate that into my learning experience in this first grow...Hopefully soon enough Ill get that system flow and be able to figure these things out...I am still unsre about all things pH and EC and PPM...But it will come with time...

Back
Top Bottom