Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling! Help!

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling! Help

Wow, so I read through your whole journal and the only thing I did not see and may have missed is Cal/Mag have you added any to your nutrient mix or is it in FF nutrients?

Nutrient-Lockout-Chart-from-Excess-Nutrients1.jpg

Not sure this chart is applicable, although it may be. I thought you may want to save it and print it for future reference.

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling!! *HE

Hey Knot thanks for the advice!!
I am very careful not to get any water on the plants when feeding/watering...
With the dryness curling and brittleness of the leaves I dont think it could be due to water on the plant...
But then again this is my first time growing ANYTHING...EVER hahahaha

I am going to flush the plants out tonight and then observe them through till Friday which is the next feeding day...Today is also a feeding day but I am skipping it and just flushing to try and un-lock the soil...

I have to get the runoff to test in a good pH range and not the 4.0-5.0 that it has been...
Clearly I chose the wrong soil...But I searched for days online for SOILLESS mixes and I thought I read that the FFOF was soilless...Apparently not LoL

As for the ppm I am still kinda of in the dark about it ... I have read a little about it and that it is related to the EC but Im not sure exactly what to do with it ... How do you measure it ... what is it measuring ... how does it affect the plants... ETC

I am going to go do some research on it now so I dont sound so ignorant and like Im not willing to do any work myself hahahaha

:thanks:
:blunt:
:peace:

A ppm meter measures the participles in the water, from trace elements to the nutes you add to your water. If your water straight out of the tap is below 200 ppm then there is hardly any elements in your water and you would add Cal/Mag...RO water was NO trace elements in it so you have to add them which would be Cal/Mag A ppm meter will also tell you how much nutes you have added to it, I use OH FloraGro and it tells me what the ppm should be when added so I don't burn my plant...but you may have to do some tweaking if you notice your plants are getting nute burn, I always start with the lowest # as they give you a range that you should be in.

When checking your soil ph you should capture the water that first comes out and test it...you should already know what the ph is before you water it to compare it to what comes out. There is a difference on what the ph should be when using soil vs hydro so be sure you are giving the plant what is needs.

Edit; hey I didn't know what ph or ppm was until I found out that I needed to know...LOL...so don't worry about it or be hard on your self...we all start at the bottom and work up. You will be helping someone in the future...and sooner than you think my friend.

Just remember one thing, it is just a weed and a heck of a lot stronger than you think it is :)

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling! Help

Wow, so I read through your whole journal and the only thing I did not see and may have missed is Cal/Mag have you added any to your nutrient mix or is it in FF nutrients?

Nutrient-Lockout-Chart-from-Excess-Nutrients1.jpg

Not sure this chart is applicable, although it may be. I thought you may want to save it and print it for future reference.

Thanks for the chart Lab!!

You did not miss a thing in the journal hahahaha...
I have not added anything in extra or I would have wrote it in the journal...
Everything was detailed to the best of my ability in the journal to date...

Im not positive if those things are inside the FF nutes
I was simply going by their feeding schedule as far as what nutes to use

Re: Multiple issues with first time grow!! Yellowing, spotting and some curling!! *HE

A ppm meter measures the participles in the water, from trace elements to the nutes you add to your water. If your water straight out of the tap is below 200 ppm then there is hardly any elements in your water and you would add Cal/Mag...RO water was NO trace elements in it so you have to add them which would be Cal/Mag A ppm meter will also tell you how much nutes you have added to it, I use OH FloraGro and it tells me what the ppm should be when added so I don't burn my plant...but you may have to do some tweaking if you notice your plants are getting nute burn, I always start with the lowest # as they give you a range that you should be in.

I should most definitely go get a ppm meter then...
I gotta get this down hahahaha...

When checking your soil ph you should capture the water that first comes out and test it...you should already know what the ph is before you water it to compare it to what comes out. There is a difference on what the ph should be when using soil vs hydro so be sure you are giving the plant what is needs.

Edit; hey I didn't know what ph or ppm was until I found out that I needed to know...LOL...so don't worry about it or be hard on your self...we all start at the bottom and work up. You will be helping someone in the future...and sooner than you think my friend.

Just remember one thing, it is just a weed and a heck of a lot stronger than you think it is :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence!! Youre right though, hopefully one day I will be able to help people like this as well :thumb:

I would look up whats in FF and if there is no or very little cal/mag, I would add some according to the directions on the bottle you will buy.

And I loved your detailed journal, very thorough and very handy to look back on in your next grow.

I would look up whats in FF and if there is no or very little cal/mag, I would add some according to the directions on the bottle you will buy.

And I loved your detailed journal, very thorough and very handy to look back on in your next grow.

Yah I have to put some time aside and really do some research ...
And here I was thinking I did do the research LOL but now finding out I learned such a tiny amount of the info that is actually out there...

Thank you for the compliment on the journal...
Im OCD when it comes to details and organization and I thought everyone could benefit from a journal being written out as clearly as possible...

:tokin:

UPDATE FOR 07-17-14

Small plant keeps showing "decay" even after cutting off affected leaves
Growth seems to be at a standstill...From removing the leaves perhaps?

20140717_175128.jpg
20140717_175133.jpg
20140717_175200.jpg
20140717_175208.jpg
20140717_175227.jpg
20140717_175253.jpg

Spring for a digital soil pH meter. You can get one for around $20 from Amazon. Also, I don't think I have ever mixed nutes to full-strength. I believe doing so causes over fertilization. Think abut it- it is in the company's best interest for you to use MORE of the stuff, but not necessarily yours.

When you have a problem, it will affect the whole plant, but it will usually show up only on a few leaves at a time. Sometimes only 1 or 2 leaves. Removing the leaf will only cause the problem to show up elsewhere. Leaving the leaf on will keep the rest of your plant looking greener, and will give you time to correct the problem.

I have mixed nutes full strength without problems, occasionally I see a little nute burn on the tips, so I back off the nutes a little next time. Mixing nutes will usually depend on the age of the plant, and how strong that specific strain likes its nutes. Even 2 plants of the same can have varied tolerances. This is where you have to pay closer attention to really learn your plants, and you'll get a good feel after a while for what each plant wants.

LOTS of learning with Cannabis, but thankfully there's no shortage of information on this forum :)

And definitely get a PH meter! If budget is tight, an analog meter will even help, but it will NOT be as accurate as a digital meter.

Spring for a digital soil pH meter. You can get one for around $20 from Amazon. Also, I don't think I have ever mixed nutes to full-strength. I believe doing so causes over fertilization. Think abut it- it is in the company's best interest for you to use MORE of the stuff, but not necessarily yours.

I ordered one but when it came in it was.like a digital pool water meter ... I o ut batteries in and it stayed at the same reading no matter what I put it in soil water etc...

I have not mixed nutes to full strength at all yet ...
I have mixed only up to half strength...

Thank you!!!

Until the problem with your plant is corrected removing leaves will only continue to stunt your plant. Please re read my advice and decide how to proceed. Your plant in the photographs is showing a phosphorous deficiency and possibly a calcium deficiency.

Until the problem with your plant is corrected removing leaves will only continue to stunt your plant. Please re read my advice and decide how to proceed. Your plant in the photographs is showing a phosphorous deficiency and possibly a calcium deficiency.

That is certainly what I am finding out through this forum and side research...
I am going to re-read everything and most likely I am going to scrap the small plant tonight...

This being my first grow I would like to continue with the two plants that are doing real good...
I knew it wasnt going to be perfect the first time around hahaha

UPDATE FOR 07-20-14

This update pertains to the small and medium plants
see pictures below and let me know what you all think!!

I am going to consult KJCs comments and all the charts I can find :thumb:

Pictures of small plant:
20140720_194611.jpg
20140720_194618.jpg
20140720_194626.jpg
20140720_194645.jpg
20140720_194653.jpg
20140720_194933.jpg
20140720_194946.jpg
20140720_194956.jpg

pictures of Medium Plant:
20140720_195005.jpg
20140720_195020.jpg
20140720_195034.jpg
20140720_195042.jpg
20140720_195050.jpg
20140720_195108.jpg
20140720_195115.jpg
20140720_195122.jpg

Your small plant is showing a phosphorous deficiency. Your medium size plants is showing a calcium deficiency.

Your small plant is showing a phosphorous deficiency. Your medium size plants is showing a calcium deficiency.

Thank you KJC!
Im sure you read it but Ill ask you specifically anyway...

Should I just ditch the small plant or do you think it will be worth the time and effort to try and correct this problem being over a month into this already...

Let me know

:thanks:

I believe with adjusting the nutrient mixture of your small plant the plant should recover. I do not believe your small plant is large enough to flower with your other plants in a short amount of time.

I only read part of the thread so I might have missed it but do you use city/town/treated water or have a well? Also I did see testing the pH level of your water mentioned but if not already told you should check the EC/PPM of the water and also perform pour through tests and check the EC/PPM of the runoff water.

Your pH at your root zone is fucked up. Test soil pH! The ph of what you water or feed with does not matter the slightest bit at all, none, zero, Nada. Keep soil pH at 6.1 to 6.9 and you will have good results.

Hey Marz thanks for the advice!!
I am going to invest in a digital soil pH meter to get an acurate read on it...
If you look thru my grow journal you can see the pH testing that I did

Ill be back with results asap...

:thank you:

Back
Top Bottom