Multiple smaller plants more variety

Photo or auto

I have seen plenty of mini auto plants produce that and more. 8 is ambitious in 4x4 I think.

Personally in a 4x4 I would do 7 or less.

6 in circle 1 in middle. But eventually you will start to worry about space, and light strength

Photo 1 maybe 2 if your lucky

wondering about doing more variety and smaller plants, maybe (8), 5 or 6 strains. Can a get an oz. per plant ??
When I started growing weed I had a goal of 1 oz per clone/plant. I only use soil but it has been done in hydro. Each plant would be in a small pot with a capacity of 3 to 5 quarts of soil and flowering done in a 3.5 foot X 6 ft X 4 ft (height) cabinet (3 X 5 for plants - rest for filters & fans) and it was a perpetual style. The first time I hit the oz was nice, even better was a month or so later when two clones (out of 3 harvested) hit that mark. Took another year and it was consistently happening. The downside was that once I could do it I got bored and it took almost a year to get back into the groove again with new goals. As @CelestialNurseries says, it can be done.

Might have to go with smaller pots to fit them in and have room in between. Might have to spend more time in the vegetating stage to get them to size. Will need to work the fertilizing schedule with that goal in mind. Forget about doing a SCRoG or the net thing. Train the plants so they grow up and avoid letting them get wide (that pesky need for room in between plants).

Every now and then several msgs will pop up in a thread where this oz per plant is mentioned. Common observation is that more time has to be spent while vegetating to get the right size for the plants in order to hit the goal.

Pick the fertilizing program or style you are comfortable with.

I am thinking it will be easier when starting with plants from seed versus clones.

Might have to go with smaller pots to fit them in and have room in between. Might have to spend more time in the vegetating stage to get them to size. Will need to work the fertilizing schedule with that goal in mind. Forget about doing a SCRoG or the net thing. Train the plants so they grow up and avoid letting them get wide (that pesky need for room in between plants).
Or use a SIP (Sub Irrigated Planter). Every plant I've grown with that structure has been bigger and healthier than my non-sip plants.

Here's a link to a photo of Buds Buddy's last grow showing the difference between his sip and those in cloth pots. It's a great way to maximize the grow space and a stupid simple watering approach to get that part right every time. His was grown in a 5 gal container and he got over a pound on it, but I've built them in 9oz, 1L, 2G and 17G containers and all have had the same great results.

We're having a bit of back and forth on design options and how to build them in his new thread here if you want to follow along, but I think that would be your best bet to hit your 1oz per plant goal.

but I think that would be your best bet to hit your 1oz per plant goal.
But I hit my goal but your links are interesting.

how to build them in his new thread here if you want to follow along
Thanks. I have noticed that thread before but not looked into it. It is now open in a new tab so each time I get a chance I can read through several pages. Maybe not for a month or so since I got way to much to do outside before winter but I can keep the tab open for as long as I want.

But I hit my goal but your links are interesting.
Proper watering is, I think, the biggest obstacle for most growers trying to max out a grow. This structure makes proper watering stupid simple all the time. That's especially critical for autos. Most auto growers have a root stunting event at least once during the grow and with them there is no recovery time like there is with photos where you can just extend the veg time a bit to compensate.

The SIP structure all but insures that watering is not one of the things that can screw up your grow. You still need a good soil mix, good nutrients and a good environment, but consistent proper watering is no longer a concern.

I'm converting all my plants over to this structure, and not just the canna plants. I have yet to have a plant not benefit, although I'm trying it with an aloe that may be the first as those are supposed to like a drier, more sandy cactus-like soil.

Proper watering is, I think, the biggest obstacle for most growers trying to max out a grow.
Yes, that I can go along with. I wonder how often the problem, especially once flowering has started, is under-watering. Especially when the gardener is kinda new to growing and does not start to change the nutrient schedule over to what plants will need once flowering starts and will be needed for the rest of the grow.

Being under-watered and under-fed is not a good combo for healthy fast growing plants. ;)

Yes, that I can go along with. I wonder how often the problem, especially once flowering has started, is under-watering. Especially when the gardener is kinda new to growing and does not start to change the nutrient schedule over to what plants will need once flowering starts and will be needed for the rest of the grow.

Being under-watered and under-fed is not a good combo for healthy fast growing plants. ;)
Learning how to water weed has been one of the easiest and most unconventional aspects of growing. I mean i get it, but watering til full, and not watering again til the pot is light in weight took a little time. With positive reinforcement from all of you, it has stuck, and now its a way of life.

What are your thoughts on (6) plants in a 4x4, my guess they wont outgrow 3gal fabric pots with the limited space, or am i mistaken…

I grow 4 different strains most grows.
It can be a drama but if your hand feeding your be fine.
And tbh even if you was not you would be fine.
For me the one lady that dont like what i give her nutes heat etc.
Will dictate how much the rest get.
Just means i never find the limit of some strains heat stress and dosage of nutes.
But im fine with that. :)
Also with a real small veg cant see 6/7 being an issue in a 4x4.
But anything over 2/3 week veg I feel your have issues.
I assume your growing fems.

I grow 4 different strains most grows.
It can be a drama but if your hand feeding your be fine.
And tbh even if you was not you would be fine.
For me the one lady that dont like what i give her nutes heat etc.
Will dictate how much the rest get.
Just means i never find the limit of some strains heat stress and dosage of nutes.
But im fine with that. :)
Also with a real small veg cant see 6/7 being an issue in a 4x4.
But anything over 2/3 week veg I feel your have issues.
I assume your growing fems.

Fem/photo are what i have on hand. I was thinking a shorter vegge as you stated, your thoughts on giving the highest maintenance plant what it needs and the others would all follow along is my thought too. Im finishing up my first ever grow, it was in soil, with dry amendments and my two plants really fell in line….
1662926230888.jpeg

What are your thoughts on (6) plants in a 4x4, my guess they wont outgrow 3gal fabric pots with the limited space, or am i mistaken…
I would suggest four in that space.

My go to is 3 gallon fabric pots with ProMix HP and MC one part.

I'm on day 67, 17 of flower with four different photo's and one auto, just to see ;)

In my 5' x 5' space the auto has to be shoe horned in the center !

Four in your space will give you 2' x 2' for each plant and with topping and some training you will be wall to wall, even with auto's.

My Amnesia auto was close to 24" across but with typing the outer branches together I reduced it's footprint to ~ 18" x 18" and it's still a squeeze...

Cheers

By the looks at my 8wk+ vegge on these two, i will not need to vegge more that 4wks, as you say it woud be very crowded
I generally expect twice the height with stretch !

BTW > with four different strains be prepared to have to use something, a box, etc., to raise up one or two plants in order to maintain a level canopy.

I have one auto that is a good 10" shorter than the rest. The tallest had her tops pulled down onto a wire hoop and has grown about a foot sideways !

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom