MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

True story. I did have problems with z7 and air pump as well. It made my water foamy and then that foam would dry and accumulate on the sides of the rez.

For science sake I should run it in the new waterfall Rez and see what happens

Interesting. I do have an air stone (or ball, technically as it's one of the eheim diffuser balls) in the res. It's on the east side of the res. Return comes back on the north side, and the pump is supplied from the west side.

Float valve is above the waterline on the south side.

50gph pump is planned for the west side, with its output directed to the east side, and its intake from the NW corner.

res-setup-jpg.1999783

(If that all makes sense.)

Now that's a clever idea to get things mixing. :)

The addition of the tiny pump is simply to try and prevent the return from rolling straight back into the supply. It could be possible to use some type of divider instead. I don't think such a small pump would raise the temp of the res (it's been running 69-70, which is good) but it could. Might have to think it over a bit. The air on the side could be enough. I dunno.

Something to think over for sure.

Plants are fine. Nothing exciting, just that waiting stage for them to zoom off. The quiet before the storm, so to speak.

GDP #1? She's hanging in there, still in the seedling box. Her first set was very tiny yesterday, and I honestly was starting to think she wasn't going to make it. However she is giving it the ol college try today and has grown her first set to 5x the size they were yesterday. Now don't get excited, they're still small. 5x squat is still not great, and what a typical seedling would have after a day, maybe two. She's trying though, so I'll give her that one. Still keeping an eye on her though, and not sure what I'll do.

I'd hate for her to be far enough behind the others that she isn't ready to flip when they are. Going to have to watch closely and think it through.

Plants are fine. Nothing exciting, just that waiting stage for them to zoom off. The quiet before the storm, so to speak.

GDP #1? She's hanging in there, still in the seedling box. Her first set was very tiny yesterday, and I honestly was starting to think she wasn't going to make it. However she is giving it the ol college try today and has grown her first set to 5x the size they were yesterday. Now don't get excited, they're still small. 5x squat is still not great, and what a typical seedling would have after a day, maybe two. She's trying though, so I'll give her that one. Still keeping an eye on her though, and not sure what I'll do.

I'd hate for her to be far enough behind the others that she isn't ready to flip when they are. Going to have to watch closely and think it through.

Lmao !! And this ...is how I wound up with 3 tents lol!

Lmao !! And this ...is how I wound up with 3 tents lol!

No shit. I had one, ceiling was a bit weak for the light/fan/filter, so I got a gorilla. Then what do I do a couple weeks later? Move the fan/filter out of the tent. :rofl:

So that gave me a 4x4 gorilla, 4x4 "cool grows", and a 4x2 "cool grows". The 4x2 is lent out, and I dunno if I'll get it back before it gets a couple harvests through it. I'm ok with that, the person using it was in need and trying to get set up to grow their own meds. So I'm alright with that. Gorilla is this tent with the RDWC, and the other is the "Lab" tent.

However, that does leave me without a spot for seedlings, mothers, or whatever. Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I'd like whatever I get going to be 6ft-7ft tall. That way I can split the height. Put this new CC module I have coming on the floor, then make a shelf above that for mothers, sprouts, whatever.

multi-use-4x3-tent.jpg

Something like this is what I was thinking of a bit ago.

Basically a 3x3 and 1x3 tent smashed together. That would give a 3x3 space that will fit the new CC module arriving soon, and 2 spaces that are 1x3 to keep a few moms. Wouldn't need a ton of light put to it, so that isn't bad. I can get some t5/t8 for the shelves, and use my backup blurple in the 3x3.

Not sure if I want to go that route, it was just for clarity of a setup.

Space: check
Vision:
Space:Check
Vision:Not bad, but should maybe get it checked :laugh:
Desire:Meh
Need:Gonna need something at some point
Eye Rolls Received:At least 3, maybe 4
Probability:99.73% something happens

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So, what's going on today?

Status quo. If I were betting, I'd be tempted to put a tick on Blue Dream having roots real close, or just now hitting the water. Noticeable growth over the past 48 hours. The other two are similar, but not quite to the same extent. So they're real close, if not at or just getting in.

Still a waiting game on the 4th plant. While it's tempting to say screw it and just put in the ready to go second of Strawberry Lemonade, I'm trying to be patient. Really, really want that GDP in the stash cabinet though. Granted, I'll have some heavy indica, KTFO nighttime from the Lab grow, but it won't be GDP. Love me some GDP, and it's been a while since I've had some on hand. It may be as much as another 7-10 days at the rate she's going. I think it may be less, but it wouldn't surprise me. She's taking her damn sweet time, that's for sure. I could put her in now, but she's still a bit short for placement in the net pot. There would still be 1/2" or so of the rooter above the rim of the pot.

5DA2B578-ABA0-4A4C-9E39-68BB5D24204F.jpeg
65C35202-CBF4-48C5-95C0-221F0198113E.jpeg

Well for better or for worse, the GDP is (barely) into the system. She is barely above the hydroton, and not tall enough yet for her big girl collar. I had to make due with some scrap cardboard for now to limit light to the netpot.

No idea if she'll make it or not, honestly. She is definitely being stubborn right now, so I'm still keeping the strawberry lemonade on hand just as a fail safe. Not sure how much longer I can leave her in just a rapid rooter and letting her wick up water from the seedling mat. We'll see I guess.

I did get up the courage to lift the other net pots. No roots coming down to the water yet, but the Durban Poison has at least started a few through the center of the pot that I could see. The Blue and Strawberry looked to have a few still inside the pot, but just about to start coming through maybe.

They are still growing though, so there's that. I think the roots would have been down quicker had they not sat in the rooter for some extra time. Guess the roots hit the edge, then it sort of has that fabric pot air prune effect. Guess it's taking them minute to get back going this time. So root-wise, since the GDP hasn't got to the stage yet where roots were coming out of the rooter like the others, maybe root-wise it won't be so far behind the others. Oh well, it is what it is I suppose.

The new seedling/multipurpose setup will be here today, but not sure I want to fire it up for a single plant. No real place to put it at the moment either, so still need to sort all that out as well. Of course what I want and what I have the space to pull off are two entirely different things. That 4x3, 2 section tent would be aces, but really not sure where I could put it. Certainly not with the other two tents, there just isn't room. There are a couple spots in the same general area (about 20ft away) that could work, but power access isn't as simple. It's there, but would have to stretch a cord across the walkway. It's the unfinished side of a basement, who cares, but I'd still hate to trip over it. Guess I could duck it down or put a rug over it I guess.

Ventilation shouldn't be difficult. I can run it up and out the furnace stack I think. Since nothing would be flowering in it, the scent should be fairly minimal. (Moms aside, I suppose.)

I could do a 3x3 and fit it into the bathroom I'm also using for water. Intake and exhaust would be interesting though.

OK, guess I wasn't done. Instead of covering my tracks and editing the above, I'll just suck it up and keep going.

Today was also Z7 day, as a note. So in with 25ml each of Part 1 and 2 for the system, and then another 10ml for the top off. Doing that twice a week (on res change, and then 3-4 days later) should get me 14-15 weeks out of a quart bottle set of part 1 and 2 (1qt each) which is effectively one set per grow, maybe a tick less. As I'm also running hydroguard, maybe I don't necessarily need both. I think in light of recent issues though, I'll go ahead and stick with it though. I may bite the bullet next go and get the gallon jugs. Ends up saving about $12/quart that way, but still makes it $31/quart (which is both parts for that, not just 1 part.)

Oh yes, I was also going to show a progression set of pics:

Day 4 (last week, still in the seedling setup):

455badfa-5148-41e6-8b04-739ba62ed45a-jpeg.1999445

Day 6 (last week, right when they went into the RDWC):

12b411f8-d96b-4597-8cf4-d3ed79ba52c9-jpeg.2001149

And today, Day 12:

5da2b578-aba0-4a4c-9e39-68bb5d24204f-jpeg.2005727

Thinking the res change this coming Saturday may be a bit premature. Mainly since there are no roots in the water yet, and it's still clean as a whistle (knock on wood), seems like a waste of water/nutes.

Thinking I could whip up a 1gm/gal feed increase (which would make it 3g/gal overall) and keep it another week.

EC/PPM hasn't moved a point since the mix was first added, so it's just sitting and waiting.

In a bucket I wouldn't have sweated just changing it out, but you know, trying to be as eco friendly as possible and not waste water if I don't have to.

Sooo....

You may recall the Current Culture UC Solo Pro module that was to arrive yesterday.

It did, but it was pretty beat up. Good size gouge in the lid, as well as a handful of spots on the module itself. Ugh... WTF is it with packing and shipping recently?

So I rang up the kind people at Current Culture. Sent a few pics off while still on the phone, and within a few hours had a new tracking number.

Other than to verify damage, it was no questions asked. Full replacement of the unit, and it will be here in a couple days. They didn't even think twice, or ask what my preference for resolution was. They went right to the top, and are making it right.

I'm good with that, and quite satisfied with the outcome. Exceeded my expectation, really.

To me it's not if a company has a problem, it's when they have a problem and what they do to resolve it.

FEBF656B-76B5-4580-8952-769B8A0FE98B.jpeg

Day 14.

Nothing to really speak of. They're workin on it though, and won't be long now I'm sure.

I did put the humidifier into the tent, as the humidity was hitting the 40% mark. In doing so, I also noticed some oddity with the temperature. It was a few degrees lower than it should have been.

Back note: I have the heater set up on a temperature controlled outlet. One like you would use with a heat mat. This works well, especially if the heater doesn't have its own thermostat or isn't as accurate as you would like. This is also on a timer, and the heater controls the daytime temps only. The heater will only kick on from an hour after lights on, to an hour before lights off. So 16 hours, while the lights are on 18 hours.

So here I am, wondering why the temp is a tick low, but the heater isn't running. It didn't take long for me to go, "DUH, dumbass!" I had the heater plugged into the timer, and the time (via extension cord) plugged into the temp controlled outlet. What's that do to a mechanical timer? Throws off the time when the outlet power is off.

Doh!

I quickly remedied this by putting the timer on the wall, the outlet to the timer, and the heater to the outlet. Whoopsie!

Didn't hurt anything, but it is what it is. It's fixed and all is well now.

GDP is still tiny. Damn tiny. I hope she gets her act together. I still have the second strawberry lemonade, and she's ready and able to fill the spot with a quickness. It's tempting to go with the (currently) stronger plant, but damn I want that GDP in the stock. I'm staying the course though, and trying to remain calm and patient.

I'm going to give it a week from tomorrow (until the 26th) and make a call then. We'll see how it all goes over the next week and if she's still a complete runt then a decision will need to be made.

Here we have the girls 2 days ago:

febf656b-76b5-4580-8952-769b8a0fe98b-jpeg.2007790

Now here are the girls today.

43BD7C95-8F75-458D-953C-F4A78578A8BC.jpeg

I'd say we've found the water, or at least we're sniffing it pretty hard. Yes, I'm still being chicken and not peeking.

This is where I'm concerned:

EA6002C8-2D6A-4408-9D20-CDD59F664A88.jpeg

This is the GDP. The one that's had issues from the start. From the cotyledons taking 3 days to open after shedding the helmet, to just general sluggish growth since.

It's like she's in super slow motion. She broke above "ground" maybe a day after the rest of her sisters, but has yet to really do anything. Does she look like she's 15 days old? Not even close, bud. :laugh:

I know I was trying to remain patient and give it another week, thinking she would take off. I'm not confident in that whatsoever. I haven't dealt with very many super runts like this, but the couple I have seen ended up not worth a shit.

All the while I'm losing time on what is a strong backup plant, although not GDP.

I dunno. Tough call on this one. I really do want GDP in my stash, and was the first strain I picked for the run. I'm just not sure it's going to pan out or be worth it though. When the others are ready to flip, she won't be close to flip size. She would flower most likely, but probably wouldn't put much out.

The others are locked and loaded, about to kick into full gear. This girl though, she just seems content to start out the window and watch the world go by. :laugh:

Problem being I'd hate to waste her, but I dunno what I'd do with her either.

Thoughts?

That could be a thought, but the others are fine. Light is about 24" above, and running at 35% right now.

With the other 3 not stretching, but not super tight, I ruled that out. :(

She's been the same pace since she sprouted. Granted, that was in the other tent, but at that point the lights were probably 30"+ from her there. It also was fine on the others too. She's just not growing well, it seems.

The other 3 are fine, but not her. It may be she just isn't going to amount to much.

Back
Top Bottom