My CFL Grow Journal

xxhelderxx

Hey Everyone,

First post on this site. I've been in and out of the growing game for the last 10 years. I used to post religiously on a site called OverGrow.com - which got taken down some time ago. Anyway, I recently relocated and have a little extra space and a very hard time accessing any good bud, as most of my connections have moved away. I thought it would be a good time to grow my own stash and avoid dealing with sketchy characters.

Here's my setup:

milliard.jpg

The tent is approx. 3'x3'x6'

41MBON6Qk5L.jpg

I have 4 x 105w 6500k CFLs for about 28,000 lumens.

IMG_3495.jpeg

I just added this inline fan. It's rated at 240 CFM. Because my setup is only 54 CF, I thought it would be sufficient for venting.

I've got 4 Big Bud plants from seed in 3 gallon fabric pots. They're in a mixture of Fox Farm Ocean Forest with a good amount of perlite added. These plants are at day 13 today and each one is at its 4th node. Nice little plants, they look like they'll be quite bushy.

IMG_2915.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

IMG_5628.jpeg

As you can see, 2 of the plants are pretty healthy and 2 not so much. The first plant had some heat stress a few days ago, so I moved the bulb a few inches away and it seems to have recovered- the new growth is coming in looking healthy. The 2nd and 3rd ones pictured here look pretty good, so I'm not concerned. The last one has me most worried. The discoloration is something I'm not familiar with. Moreso, it looks like the new growth is coming in equally discolored, so that's not good. Any advice on what's going on?

I haven't added any nutrients yet because I think the FF soil should be good for about 3-4 weeks and I don't want to stress the plants.

I'm having some issues keeping the temps down. I have a clip on fan coming which I hope will help, but even with the addition of the 240CFM inline fan, I can't get my temps any lower than 81 degrees. Right now I don't have a fan intake, just a passive vent that's open in the back of my tent. The tent is in a room where the ambient temp is 69 degrees all day. I thought the temps would drop a couple degrees with the addition of the inline fan, but that hasn't worked out.

My humidity is at right about 50%. It was higher before, but the inline fan seems to have lowered it a little. I have a hand towel that I soak then roll up and leave on the floor of the tent. That helps bump the humidity up a few points.

Anyway - any pointers here? I'm not sure what is going on with the one plant w/discoloration. And I'm open to suggestions on how to get my temps down.

Thanks!

Total wattage is 420w right now. I'm going to add some more CFLs, probably on the cooler end of the spectrum once I can figure out the temperature issue. Any idea on why that one plant is discolored?

Also I need to figure out some odor control, believe it or not I can already smell these things once I walk into my place.

I have 4 more Big Bud seeds I'm going to sprout. I don't want to be left with only 1-2 females, so I'll start some more and just veg the original ones longer.

Honestly I'd ditch the duct booster and get an actual inline fan filter combo. Speaking from experience, buy bigger than your needs. Like a 6" fan 400+ cfm. It's overkill but will help if you upgrade. What's your pH and run off pH?

Strangely enough, this morning my temps are down and humidity is back up. Just checked and I'm at 77 degrees with 60% humidity. I'll take that all day. My pH meters arrive Weds, so I'll have an answer for you on that soon. I'm considering topping these bad boys once I can verify that my temps are stable and there's no other stress on them.

Do you think it's safe to top them?

Looking good. Are you planning on using cfls to flower with?

Hey thanks for the praise - yes I'll be flowering with these for the first go around and see how it works out. I'll add more bulbs for flowering and lower the entire spectrum to be more heavily focused on the cool side. I know I could get more yield with HPS but I dont want to have to vent outside of my residence as I have a lot of neighbors close by. I also dont need to yield a ton of bud since this is only for me and maybe the occasional friend to smoke.

Hey thanks for the praise - yes I'll be flowering with these for the first go around and see how it works out. I'll add more bulbs for flowering and lower the entire spectrum to be more heavily focused on the cool side. I know I could get more yield with HPS but I dont want to have to vent outside of my residence as I have a lot of neighbors close by. I also dont need to yield a ton of bud since this is only for me and maybe the occasional friend to smoke.

Sweet this will be cool to watch

Already running into a logistical issue. I have to leave town Thursday night and won't be back until Monday. My person who was going to water the plants can't make it. As it stands I'm watering these plants with about 25 ounces a piece daily. Again, with temps in the high 70s low 80s they dry out pretty quick. I plan on raising the lights up a few inches and giving them a heavy watering on Thursday night, but is that enough? Thatll be 3 days in between waterings with high'ish temps.

I could try and find someone else, but wanted to limit how many people know about my setup.

What do you guys think is my best option?

Good call, I have 2 plants per tray, so I may even flood them more. The bottoms of each bag have a bunch of perlite too, so hopefully that helps too

Update - Day 17.

My temps are back up into the 79-82F range, with humidity sticking around 55-60%. The plants don't seem to mind. I added a 6" clip fan which didn't help knock the temps down, but I'm sure the plants appreciate it. I was going light on the waterings and watering them everyday, but Sunday night I gave them a really heavy watering and skipped yesterday. They've responded really well. It looks like these things grew by 25% since the last update. Crazy.

I have a soil pH meter arriving tomorrow, plus a liquid pH meter for runoff. I'm also about to plant 2 more seeds that just popped. I'm ok with the 2+ week lag between them. I figure I'll veg the first 4 for as long as I need in order for the next 2 to catch up. I'd just like to get as many females as possible.

Any ideas what's going on with that one plant that seems to still have the discoloration problem?

Anyway - here are the pics. Thanks for following along everyone.

IMG_60106.JPG

IMG_60119.JPG

IMG_60128.JPG

IMG_60158.JPG

Planted 2 more Big Bud seeds today and threw them into the tent. Watered the 4 plants yesterday and it's AMAZING how quickly they respond to a strong watering. I can't wait to start feeding them nutes and see how they respond. I'll need to top these bad boys soon the way they're growing. Pic updates coming soon.

Also - I got my pH meters today and measured the soil pH. It's just a hair above 6 for 3 out of the 4 plants, and right about 6 on the nose for the one plant that has been suffering from some discoloration issues.

Will update more in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom