My First Grow in DWC!

Guess not if it's that dry but an ammonia type smell could be some of the gases put off by the plant converting starches to sugars as it cures. Still think 4 days or less for bud drying is a little quick. Small buds maybe but anything medium to large shouldn't be done that quick.

Sounds like you had an abundance of ventilation and while generally good in the case of drying bud. a slow dry is actually better.

I've got about 5 full days since cut and trim on two of my plants and I have a little table fan blowing into a corner about 3' away for the hanging bud. The stems as stiff but still slightly plyable and that's ok by me. 7-8 total days from cut to jar for big buds would be normal for me.

You're right, it's no big deal and I don't think you have a problem.

thanks mc. i really was trying to go for a nice slow dry. but it was like one night they were kinda crispy and the next day they were too dry. kinda sucks cause i tried so hard the whole grow to do a good job, then to screw it up at the end just plain sucks. but i have been smoking the lil buds and they taste ok, smell good broken up, gets me real high. kind of a fluctuating head body high. lasts quite a while too. 1hr or more. so if i didnt totally screw up the whole curing deal and they can still get better than holy cow i cant wait.MC How did your harvest turn out? good yield ? any test nugs ?

thanks everyone. i have a question. so i hung dried the bud for 3 or 4 days. on day 4 the buds were super dry. so i moved them into the jars. now i have a smell. not a totally bad smell. but not exactly the smell you smell when you crack open a bud. has kind of an amonia odor but only slightly. i dont want to add a frozen stem to bring back moister if there is mold. so i guess my question is what does mold smell like. be specific as possible please and thank you all

Hey chevyman, those buds are looking like tasty christmas trees!! I had a similiar smell when curing my buds, that slowly went away over time. I wrote it off to the release of chorophyl, gases, nutes etc... The buds still turned out great in the end!

You ain't screwed up nothin' After 30 days it will be what it would of been.

This harvest turn out alright as a whole. I started with the e&f experiment which didn't work out and then later in the grow I had fungus gnats to battle I still managed to get about 12oz from 6 plants that I put through hell and they didn't herm. I went a little too mad scientist on that grow but I made it up in the number of plants I grew vs my usual 2 or 3. This time I plan a by the book grow. Using RO water because my tap water went to 500ppm. Going to use standard nutes with no additives unless a problem shows up.

I did grab a couple of small nugs from my latest today for some bowls. When it was growing, almost all the plants looked extra trichy. I attribute that to the 400 I added to the grow room. This batch may have produced less weight but I think the power is up on the Mazar/Skunk strain I usually grow. The Sannie Jack I harvested earlier this week had a lot of power both up and down for such a young bud. I can't imagine what it will be like when it's fully cured. This was 4 hits to "dont drive" status and I kind of took a little mental trip for a couple of minutes. I got to plan ahead next time I smoke that shit! LOL! The Pandora's Box is more of a lady. Starts with a little combo hi and every puff is an acceleration of the high side and you get very happy very quickly. Then you can just sit there or go get the groceries like I did. Had a wonderful time!

Chevy, sounds like your taking all the right precautions pertaining to the mold, I wish u the best of luck with it!!! :goodluck:

This harvest turn out alright as a whole. I started with the e&f experiment which didn't work out and then later in the grow I had fungus gnats to battle I still managed to get about 12oz from 6 plants that I put through hell and they didn't herm. I went a little too mad scientist on that grow but I made it up in the number of plants I grew vs my usual 2 or 3. This time I plan a by the book grow. Using RO water because my tap water went to 500ppm. Going to use standard nutes with no additives unless a problem shows up.

MC, How much lighting did you use with this grow?

thanks everyone. i have a question. so i hung dried the bud for 3 or 4 days. on day 4 the buds were super dry. so i moved them into the jars. now i have a smell. not a totally bad smell. but not exactly the smell you smell when you crack open a bud. has kind of an amonia odor but only slightly. i dont want to add a frozen stem to bring back moister if there is mold. so i guess my question is what does mold smell like. be specific as possible please and thank you all

Amonia smell is bad. Mold can smell like Amonia. Dry them more.

The bud can feel dry while the stem still holds moisture.

OVER DRYING can be fixed. UNDER DRYING can not be fixed.
I am going to copy and paste some Drying and Curing info here for you.

I start by finding me two boxes, one to put the large fan leaves in, to make oil later, and one box for the trim leaves, the leaves that grow out of the buds with trichiomes on them. The leaves with trichomes are for making Hash later.

I bring branches to the kitchen table and trim (also called manicure) them, by cutting off the leaves that are growing out of the buds. I trim them very very closely for several reasons.
1, they dry faster.
2, if there is any clorophyll taste or chemical taste to be found, it will be in the leaves and not in the pistals, caylxes or flowers.
3, I am not trying to achieve the most WEIGHT or Quanity, I am trying to achieve QUALITY!
4, I can worry less about bud mold. If I leave large leaves on the buds, the leaves could possibly hold moisture in the buds and then mold on me.
5, Well manicured buds are more attractive to look at.

You will need very sharp scissors. Some growers wear rubber gloves, and after completing the trimming, they freeze the gloves, and the trichomes that stuck to the gloves will peel off in a thin sheet of plastic like HASH. YUM -YUM. You will also want to have a straight razor blade to scrape the scissor blades. What you scrape off you will want to smoke in a pipe, two hits will blow your mind.

After I trim them, I sort them by size. Very small popcorn buds and fluff buds with no significant stem on them, go onto box lids to dry.
Buds with stems get hung up, according to size, separating very large ones from the smaller ones. I want the least amount of stem left on them. They need to be in low humidity, in complete darkness or at least in very low light and not in direct light, they need to be in air that is well circulated and moving, but not blowing directly on them. The enemies of the THC and buds are strong light, heat, dampness, mold, and animals and insects.
I hang them to dry and be sure they do not touch each other to hold any moisture.
I do blow a circulating fan OVER them, but not on them. The sides of the boxes prevent the fan's air from blowing directly on them.

The popcorn buds and fluff buds that are laying on box lids, and not touching each other get stirred and turned over daily. They take at least 3 and no more than 4 days to dry. These are not what we call the nugs or nuggets, or very tight dense buds. They never had a stem.

My smaller buds, on skinny stems dry for more than 4 days and less than 6 days.
My larger buds dry for 6 or 7 or 8 days, depending on the thickness of the stem, the bud and the stem lenght.

You will read in many places to dry them until the stem will easily "snap" and be very dry. If you do that, the buds will need re-moistioning again later.
I dry mine the number of days I mentioned above and disregard the stem easily snapping. I have completed 8 grows total, and each grow taught me to not be as concerned with how dry the stem got, but how dry the bud got.

AFTER I dry them the prescribed time, I remove them from the boxes, and cut as much STEM off as I possibly can. I then put my nugs in air tight containers, I use large mouth mason glass jars, same as most other growers use. Every day for 30 days, I burp them, or open the jar, shake and stir it a couple seconds, smell it, and reseal it. IF it stinks, IF it smells funny, like moldy, IF the jar sweats, I dry the contents a complete day again. They have to be burped 30 days in a row. That 30 days in a jar is called CURING.

We DRY pot, so we can CURE it.
We CURE pot, to make it taste sweeter, smell sweeter, to avoid bud-mold, to make it more Smokable or burnable, to get the chemical and clorophyll taste out, and to increase the potency. A GOOD cure takes 4 weeks, and some conisours (mispelled) cure it up to 6 to 8 weeks.

The idea behind curing was learned from tobacco growers. Curing is a biological process of allowing the SUGARS and STARCHES to change into something MORE pleasant to the taste and smell. Normally the SUGARS and STARCHES taste HARSH and not so pleasant. To grow, Plants need SUGARS that convert into starches from Fertilizers and sunlight. Curing also removes alot of clorophyll or the clorophyll taste that is sort of a grassy leafy medicine chemical taste and leaves a sweet tastey pleasant taste.
Also, we cure pot to avoid MOLD that can come within 30 days AFTER Drying.

We cure pot in jars, in darkness, in a cool place. After being placed in the jar, we store them in a dark cool place, then we re-open the jar once a day, smell it, inspect it, let it breathe for a few seconds and then re-seal it. IF we smell an unpleasant "nose pinching" smell, or see white growth, we need to immedialtey remove it from
the jar and DRY it some more for a few more days.

When you first harvest the buds, save some moist large stems in the refrigarator, in a baggie. If you dry it too much, you can add a small piece of stem back, to remoisten it some.

I have CURED pot one week in jars, and tasted it, and then Cured it 4 weeks and tasted it. If you will try the same experiment, or ask any experienced grower, you'll learn (taste) the difference. It is much more potent, and much sweeter tasting, and smells much better too.

roseman, growing is def addictive . all i can think about now is another grow. but the wife bput a stop to that. She get nervous. and i cant blame her.but i will do another grow eventually . till then i'll be on here learning and helping as much as i can.

FPF, hows it going ? u must be real close to cutting down huh ?i look forward to seeing you in the bud of the month contest !!and pom too.

The whole plant is now in ajars. they seemed real dry for just 5 days. i have a couple stems in the freezer to add in there to get some moister back. theres def smokeable buds now and let me say WOW. it doesnt hit you right away but when it does watch out. i had the munchies all day at work ..lol def more of a body high which is what i wanted so thats good. very hard to stay motivated at work. im going to get a scale fri and se what i got for weight.

heres some pics.
DSCN3267.JPG

DSCN3268.JPG

DSCN3270.JPG

DSCN3273.JPG

DSCN32751.JPG

DSCN3274.JPG

sweet nice grow, i hope i am that successful

hey guys i have been real busy. split up with the wife and had to move across country back to ct. ill be back as soon as life slows down a lil bit. but still smoking off the same plant . good stuff

hey guys i have been real busy. split up with the wife and had to move across country back to ct. ill be back as soon as life slows down a lil bit. but still smoking off the same plant . good stuff
sorry to hear about the split, life will get better for you, and enjoy your harvest

Back
Top Bottom