My First Grow Journal-Holy Grail Kush- Purple Kush 6x12 Scrog 4 x 600W LEDs On Movers

Re: My First Grow Journal-Holy Grail Kush- Purple Kush 6x12 Scrog 4 x 600W LEDs On Mo

well I woke up today to find a mild deficiency in most of the holy grail plants,im thinking its a zinc deficiency because I gave them 6 mil per gallon of cal/mag with the res change.This is the first time ive experienced a deficiency during veg so I would really appreciate your opinions on this.the ph is 5.6 and the ppm's are around 820.It could also be a phosphorus def too im really not sure at this point.
IMAG000917.jpg

IMAG001016.jpg

IMAG001118.jpg

IMAG001214.jpg

Re: My First Grow Journal-Holy Grail Kush- Purple Kush 6x12 Scrog 4 x 600W LEDs On Mo

theres a bit of brown slime built up in the res so im going gently take all the plants out and clean the table and res with some concentrated h2o2 water.Its weird, I change the res every 7 days and add h2o2 3 times during the 7 days so there should be no algea.Ive used black and white poly over the table to stop algea in the past but the roots get so tangled up that i was damaging them when they got transfered to the flower room so I took it off. No problems during veg what so ever until now??

Love the set up and mate, it's superb, and the plants look great. Great to see the berry bomb - a bit further ahead than mine; they do have big fat leaves don't they!

Not sure about the deficiency; looks very early so hard to tell. My understanding is Phosphorous tends to show up as more of a purple/black colouration on the leaves in veg, and it only gets locked out at a pH above 6 so you should be ok at 5.6.

When I got a deficiency early in my current grow I found this very helpful: Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial. Turned out my pH was too low due to a pH meter that wasn't calibrated correctly and I was locking out magnesium; re-calibrated and held the pH over 5.7 (Mg gets locked out below this) and it recovered in a few days.

If it is Mg then the yellowing will progress through the leaves but the veins will stay dark green, so you end up with these dark green fingers and the rest of the leaf yellows.

Regarding the slime in the res, I got pointed in the direction of Dutch Masters Zone by Alaskan1 and I've been really impressed with it. I'm running a much smaller set up than you but had big issues with res temps early on but haven't had any problems with pythium - the DMZ means you run a completely sterile solution and prevents any problems it seems, even if the res temps do get too high. It also sorts any problems out if you do get them - just give the roots a bath in concentrated DMZ solution.

hey Green Knight glad you stopped by:)Im leaning towards a zinc def and I think the brown slime is dead algea.I was away for a few days and my wife forgot to add h2o2 so there was a bit when I got back. So I took the whole veg system apart and sterilized it just in case and started the girls on full strenght veg with gh 3 part.I tried going 70% of full veg this round and I think this is why the def is showing.Hopefully all will be well if a couple days.So you think my ph should be a little higher? Thanks for the tip on the dmz solution I will be checking it out for sure.

I wouldn't necessarily say your pH needs to be higher- looking at your journal you've had great results!
I worked on the basis that anything between 5.1 - 6.1 was good for hydro when I started and held it at 5.5. When I started getting deficiency issues I looked into it and found Mg gets locked out below 5.7 (which was my problem) and I read 5.8 was the optimal to take up all elements in hydro. I held my my pH at 5.8 then but it wasn't helping so I checked the calibration on my meter and it was 0.3 too high, so even at 5.8 it was only getting to 5.5 and the Mg def stayed an issue. As soon as I recalibrated and held it at 5.8 the problem disappeared in a couple of days. There are some pics of my plant in the early stages of my current auto bomb journal which show quite well what the def looked like before I sorted it. Much above 5.8 though and you lock out calcium!
I think if you let the pH swing a bit and aren't too anal with holding it religiously at a specific point then it lets the plant take up what it needs (I now set it to 5.8 and am pretty relaxed if it swings between 5.5 and 6.1, anything above or below I adjust back to 5.8.
I did read somewhere (can't remember where, think it was the Canna Aqua fact sheet?) that the plants do have an ability to manipulate the pH themselves to a certain extent so sometimes small swings aren't a bad thing as this can be the plant adjusting its environment to take up what it needs optimally. Could be marketing though for the buffering in their Aqua range!

Definitely check out the DMZ; it's really easy because you just add it every nute change and it runs continually. Not sure how big your res is but you run it at 5-9ml per 20l so it goes quite a long way and isn't expensive.

I was locking out magnesium; re-calibrated and held the pH over 5.7 (Mg gets locked out below this) and it recovered in a few days.

If it is Mg then the yellowing will progress through the leaves but the veins will stay dark green, so you end up with these dark green fingers and the rest of the leaf yellows.

it could be a mag def too

Would agree with GK, had the same ph issue, slightly too low ph,

Ok thanks guys:) I usually set the ph at 5.5 and let it slowly rise to 5.9 then bring it back down so not to anal:) Im thinking the weaker nute solution is the culprit I ll know for sure in a couple days.

Should be fine then mate; your plants look amazing and healthy anyway and whatever it is, it only looks minor. I'm sure they could handle more nutes without any issues.

Was reading back through your journal and saw the bit about pH dropping suddenly and plants drinking loads of water.... I get the same; my res is quite small (20l) and it's only 1 plant but as she drinks water more than nutes and the EC goes up the pH will also drop. I find that for about every 3-5l she drinks the pH drops 0.2-0.3 and the EC goes up around 0.1. The nutes are acidic so as the pH drops its a good sign they're using more water than nutes.

Re: my first grow journal.holy grail kush,purple kush 6x12 scrog 4 600watt leds on mo

Hey Strickly420 pull up a seat its gonna get crazy in here soon:)I tried a little botton nug of the hgk and it definetly has a permanent home in my garden.I have really high hopes for the chernobyl too.Im thinking that and the hgk will be my 2 main strains for awhile.

Damn!
Lovin that screensaver pic!
Glad to hear you got the larger res. Thought some more about this and was also wondering if your res is getting warmer than what u have had prior due to using the led in a warmer environment? Can also have small impact on ph if i remember correctly.
Man i maight have to do a journal then try a scrog grow. Looks like yields will be able to equal sog if done well and with less plants.
Also have to say i lovin the regular updates. Keeps people keen i reckon :goodjob:

Hey Tony:) Love that pic too! The res is in a different room that I built specifically for that reason.It sits in a small dark room on the concrete floor and it rarely goes above 70 degrees its sitting at 68 degrees right now,I also had my plumber buddy install hot and cold taps in that room just to make things a little easier..If you look at the full pic of the hgk mother on the first page you can see the drainlines going through a wall.I also have drain and fill hoses coming from the veg room,one goes to the taps to fill the 40 gallon res and the other hooks to the pump and goes to the sump pump for drainage.Theres nothing worse than to have to lug bucket after bucket of water from one room to the next.I ll Take some pics when the lights come on tonight. Also the pump isnt running continuously,it kicks on for 15 min every hr so the solution is sitting in the res on that cold floor most of the time which is why this method is so effective for keeping the res cool.I could'nt run the pump 24/7 if I wanted too the root balls get so big in those 5 gallon buckets that the solution doesnt drain fast enough and will overflow the buckets if it runs long enough.

I would love to see you do a journal Tony and the room isn't any warmer really. With hps, growers keep the ambient temp around 78 degrees to keep the canopy temp around 83-85 degrees.Im running co2 for this round coming up so the temps will probably be a little higher.The cool thing with these lights and the little 10 000 btu a/c is I can pretty much keep the temps right where I want them. I also have 2 dehumidifiers in the flower room,so room conditions is not an issue really I just have to get the ph and ppm's dialed in to get the results im looking for. I grew sog for several years and then big bushes for a few more and in my opinion there is no better way to get the big yields indoors with height restrictions than a scrog done right.This will be my 4th grow with that screen so I am still learning training tecniques to maximize the yeild.Im pretty sure this round will be my best yeild by far because of the training im doing now early in veg.

Hey everyone:)
Ive been reading GroGreen's journal where he describes and shows us the benefits of extreme defoliation.I know alot of.....sorry most growers are completely against much if any defoliation especially in flower but I have been using this tecnique to a lesser degree ever since I started scrogging and I've had good results with it.So im going to use GroGreen's tecnique this round and see how it pans out. Reps GroGreen for explaining it so well:bravo:
Here are the before and after pics. Dont cringe to hard when you see the after pics lol they will be fine I promise:)

Back
Top Bottom