My First Posted Grow Journal

Here is a Description of N.Y.P.D. (Feminized). A sensational and radical new marijuana mix, New York Power Diesel is an F1 hybrid of our popular Sativa Mexicana seeds and a specially stabilised Aurora Indica. The latter's heavy, greasy narcotic buzz beautifully takes the edge off the crispness and speedy effect of the former. NYPD's shockingly powerful terpenoids result in a marijuana with a lemony flavour and the diesel-like aroma that inspired its name. Its plants grow tall stems with a surprisingly tight bud structure. The amount of dry marijuana these seeds produce is not overwhelming, but definitely still worthwhile!.

Additional Information
Indica / Sativa: Predominantly Sativa
Plant type: Indoor
Plant height: Tall
Effect: High (cerebral, heady effect)
Flavour: fruity / fuel
Average yield: 400 - 500 (g/m² in SOG)
Flowering period: 9 - 11 weeks
White strain: Yes
Medical: Yes
Feminized: Yes

Looks good so far... I will try to follow your grow.
Couple things?... Is that your grow area? or did you just move them there for pics?
I question why you added potting soil... the moss/peilite/vermiculite would be a good "soilless" mix but the potting soil is more on the "soil" technique.
How is your air movement exaust?
Keep at it :)

Jonny

Hello stilletto and thanks for checkin out the grow. Hope you can stay the whole way. It's gonna be a wild ride. As far as exhaust all i have is 1 normal size fan on medium for air circulation purposes. The plant get to sway around in the breese a bit and i figure it helps the stalks thicken up and become all the more self dependant. And yes that is the grow area for this round. First go around too. hope all goes well though. Also i added potting soil because i like to experiment with different things on each grow to see the effects it will have on the grow. Never know what works the best until you have tried everything i guess. Any thoughts?

Good stuff... I love to experiment also :)
My thoughts on soil are this; Soiless is non organic and the only thing your plants get are what you give them. Soil contains organics that decompose and break down into different chemicals. By staying with soilless medium you can KNOW what is in the soil. Soil degradation can add in factors that you can not forsee or monitor.
I chose to watch your grow because I see potential, Good open area... you apperently keep it clean (A must for me) and you seem to be making an effort to learn and educate yourself.
I won't get into nutes/temps/conditions at this time but I will say that I immediately see alot of wasted energy. Light uses energy(power) to allow the plant to produce energy(photosynthisis) and you are wasting alot of both without using reflective materials. I swear by Black/white poly. 85% reflective and cheap also easy to use and clean. Line the walls and floor... your plants will double the amount of energy they use and create. Bigger plants/yeilds will be assured. I also cut 12" squares or circles of it and slit to the middle to put ON the soil UNDER the plants AROUND the stock... why waste the light that passes through the leaves(also helps prevent bugs and moisture evaporatin from the top of soil)
So far so good pal...

Jonny

Thanks for the valuable advice stilletto. I actually used to have a large roll of mylar reflective sheeting that i enclosed my crop with.(never tried it under the plants or on the soil before though.) Sounds good though. However my most recent problem is that i helped a good friend out that had never tried mylar before and i gave him the last of my mylar. So now i have no more mylar. Cant really afford to do too many add ons this crop either. Have been thinking lately about a good alternative to the mylar. The tin foil idea is neat until you start unrolling it and it developes a crease every half inch. If i hang that the light goes in all different directions. Not nearly as smooth as the mylar when you unroll it. I do try to always find ways to improve my yeild and the quality of my crop. You can never educate yourself enough. I seem to keep learning new things all the time. and that keeps the juices flowing and brings a smile to my face. Also my lady calls me crazy because i actually vacuum, sweep, and dust pretty often. You have to stay dilligent in your cleaning efforts and try to give your ladies the best environment possible to hopefully succeed. I will look into the black white poly. where would the best place to buy poly be anyways. Any certain brands better than others? Also to help prevent bug infestations i took precautionary steps by setting off 3 different bug bombs before anything was even set up. 2 of which speciallized in spider mites. I do this before every grow to get a clean start and for piece of mind i guess. :thanks:

Glad to hear you are putting the right effort into it. :) I vaccuum alot and wipe surfaces down daily. Cleanliness is key.
Although mylar has a better reflectivity than b/w poly it is more delecate and expensive.
B/W poly is avail at any hydro store... prolly even general hardware stores too. about $1/ft(x8' long) so very cheap. If you have none using thin plywood and painting with a high-gloss white paint will work well also. White and glossy is the way to go... don't use tinfoil or mirrors, they have low reflectivity and can create hotspots.
Keep at it... :)

Jonny

Hello hempRocket. I tried the tin foil experiment a few years ago on my first grow and did alot of cursing. I will never try tin foil again. I would rather have nothing than tin foil actually. stuff drives me crazy. Totally agree with you. Bad choice. Everybody probably tries it when they first get started though. They may never admit it though. :blunt:

Glad to hear you are putting the right effort into it. :) I vaccuum alot and wipe surfaces down daily. Cleanliness is key.
Although mylar has a better reflectivity than b/w poly it is more delecate and expensive.
B/W poly is avail at any hydro store... prolly even general hardware stores too. about $1/ft(x8' long) so very cheap. If you have none using thin plywood and painting with a high-gloss white paint will work well also. White and glossy is the way to go... don't use tinfoil or mirrors, they have low reflectivity and can create hotspots.
Keep at it... :)

Jonny

Good advise. I would just change that from high-gloss to flat white. Believe it or not flat white reflects light better than high-gloss paint.

Hello hempRocket. I tried the tin foil experiment a few years ago on my first grow and did alot of cursing. I will never try tin foil again. I would rather have nothing than tin foil actually. stuff drives me crazy. Totally agree with you. Bad choice. Everybody probably tries it when they first get started though. They may never admit it though. :blunt:

You're right. I've tried it myself.

Thanks all. It looks like a trip to the hardware store may be in order for this weekend. And thanks for the warm welcome staffy. welcome aboard and dont be a stranger.:yahoo:

Also i have a 6 foot light track that i bought a while back and it was too big for the previous grow area. The plants have been getting a bit pushy with each other. May need to start moving them apart in a few days so that they can have room to individually excell. They are starting to thicken up nicely now that they are on their way to 3 weeks into vegetation. I figure i can approach this in two ways. Option 1: I can spread the plants and simply raise the lights a bit which will broaden the reach of the light but also cut down on light and lumen intensity which im not too excited to think about. Option 2: I can hang the 6 foot light track and let that try to help spread those lovely lumens by simulating the sun rise and sun set at 20 minute intervals. Or maybe Option 3: A combination of both, raise the light slightly and set up the light track. Would love to also get a little feedback on the light track if anyone has any experience with one. I have never actually used one before. Does it help tremendously or is it not a very noticeable addition ? :lot-o-toke:

I have decided to spread the pots out about 1 1/2 inches apart from each other to start. I figure if the plants on the outside start leaning towards the middle i may have to raise the lights or rearrange the pots to promote straight growth. So far they are still growing straight up and seem to be getting plenty of light,even on the outside edges. I do figure at some point a couple weeks from now that i will have to go ahead and set up that light track,but for now i think it may be a bit of overkill this early. Plants are looking wonderful. The ak strain is a bit sensitive and 1 plant is showing a little bit of burn spotting. Not much though. I want to attribute that to the miracle grow in the mix. The only strain it is affecting at all is the ak though. Couple ak plants have leaves that are curling upward and downward but nothing dramatic. I assume that as i keep giving it nothing but water it will dillute the strength of the ingredients of the miracle grow and the problem will be short lived. I will be posting week 3 vegetation pictures this weekend. There has been alot of growth over the last week and the plants are really taking off now. I call them my little beasts. Stay tuned.:yummy:

Figured i might as well post some pictures of the spotting and curling of the leaves. this is an ak-48. Not quite 3 weeks into vegetation.
20_days_into_veg_ak-48_nute_burn_and_leave_folding_001.JPG

And i figure since we are giving the lovely lady a physical we might as well take a look under the skirt
20_days_into_veg_ak-48_nute_burn_and_leave_folding_003.JPG
!

Overall i think the plant looks decently healthy. I do try to pay attention to early warning signs though. Any thoughts?:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom