First Timer's Journal

jdthehoss

Grow Journal
White Widow/Big Bud
June 25, 2011-Present

This is a journal of my first attempt at growing marijuana indoors. I am a long-time smoker, but first-time grower. I'm hoping that this journal will serve as a tool I can use as a reference for future grows to attain higher yields.

Strain type: White Widow feminized and Bid Bud feminized

White Widow-indica/sativa mix, don't know the percentage
Bid Bud-sativa

Entire garden was in vegetative stage for 40 days. Just converted the garden to flowering stage last night, 8-6-2011.

Indoor, soil grow using Miracle Grow potting soil in three-gallon pots.

Initially used two 90-watt LED UFOs for two weeks. Was disappointed with the performance of those lights and switched to a 1,000-watt digital convertable balast setup with both Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium capability.

Exhaust fan attached to the light hood whiich exhaust the air out a small window in the back of my garage. Also using an oscillating fan to cool the space and also provide cool air for the exhaust fan.

Ambient temperatures of the grow space are 83-85 degrees Fahrenheit when the light is on and about 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit during the dark period. Relative humidity is 50-60% depending on the RH outside. The pH of my soil is 6.5.

No pests other than the usual daddy long legs and small spiders that reside in my garage. So far none of them have taken up residence in my garden.

I water the roots about every three or four days. I water my plants with tap water that has aerated in a five-gallon bucket for several days. Although I mist my plants every day for a two-fold purpose: To cool the plants and to chase off any pests that may be lurking in my garden.

I had some leftover Vigoro plant food that I was using initially. However, I found Miracle Grow Orchid Food at Lowe's that had a 20-10-10 mixture of Nitrogen-Phospate-Potasium. My plants really seemed to respond to that food. Now that my plants are in the flowering stage I plan on straight water for the remainder of my grow.

Saturday, 6-25-2011:
Started germination of 10 feminized White Widow and 3 feminized Bid Bud seeds in distilled water. Seeds remained in the distilled water for two days. (Seed cost: $85.95. Peat pots, three gallon pots, soil, other sundry items cost: approximately $80.00. LED UFO lights cost: $300.00)

Monday, 6-27-2011:
Seeds were planted into individual peat pots that were filled with Miracle Grow potting soil. The peat pots were placed under two 90 watt LED UFO lighting units which were hung approximately four inches above the peat pots and set up on an 18/6 light/dark cycle.

Saturday, 7-2-2011:
Seedlings have sprouted and the entire peat pots that contain the seedlings were transplanted into three-gallon pots where they will remain for the duration of their growth. I continued to keep them on an 18/6 light/dark cycle.

Monday, July 4, 2011:
I was disappointed with the early performance of the 90 watt LED UFOS so I decided to order a 1,000 watt magnetic grow light.

Friday, July 8, 2011:
I received the magnetic grow light. The ballast did not work properly so I arranged to return it to the manufacturer. I ordered a 1,000 watt digital grow light. (Grow light cost: $350.00)

Thursday, July 14, 2011:
I received the digital grow light and installed the light that evening. I discontinued the use of the UFOs and began using the 1,000 watt light equipped with a metal halide bulb. I continued with the 18/6 light/dark cycle.

These two pictures are of my garden after two weeks under the 90-watt LED UFOs and at the point when I installed the 1,000-watt digital ballast metal halide grow light.

13160.jpg

14142.jpg

Sunday, July 24, 2011:
I am continuing to stick to my light/dark schedule of 18/6. I was initially using some left over Vigoro fertilizer with every other watering, which is about every third or fourth day. I found some Miracle Grow Orchid Food at Lowe's which has a higher nitrogen concentration. I've since been adding this to my water for every other watering. The plants seem to be responding to the increased nitrogen load. I also bought an adjustable plant mister that I actually use every day to mist my plants. This seems to be more effective than watering.

garden_pic_2_wks_2_1.jpg

My garden after 10 days under the 1,000-watt metal halide grow light. The total grow time at this point is 30 days from germination.

big_bud_2_wks1.jpg

This is a picture taken from above one of my three Big Bud plants. It was about this point that I realized that the three Big Bud plants were a feminized, auto-flowering variety!

white_widow_2_wks1.jpg

This is a picture taken above one of my ten White Widow plants. I was concerned with the compactness of the widows compared to the big bud boyz.

garden_pic_2_wks1.jpg

Another picture on one of Big Bud boyz taken from above.

Wednesday, 8-3-2011:
My White Widows are starting to stretch now much to my relief. The auto-flowering Big Bud boyz continue to flex their "muscles!" I began cropping some of the larger fan leaves on the widows to try to induce some growth and development on the lower portions of the plant. I was reluctant to do this because I was afraid I would harm the plants. However, as you can see from the following pictures, they seem to be doing fine.

IMG000375.jpg

This is a picture of my garden at 40 days from germination. The Big Bud boyz are in the front of the White Widows.

IMG000383.jpg

This is just a close-up of one of the boyz and one of the widows.

IMG000402.jpg

This is a close-up of the top one of the boyz. You can see from the bud formation already that this is an auto-flowering strain.

IMG000364.jpg

This is a side view of the same Big Bud boy pictured in photo C.

Saturday, 8-6-2011:
I changed out the metal halide bulb for a high pressure sodium bulb and changed the light/dark cycle to 12/12. My grow area is in a corner that I have cordoned off with white painter's drop cloths which does a nice job of reflecting light back on the plants but doesn't block light from entering the grow area. I purchased a 10' X 25' roll of 6 mil black plastic to hang on the outside the painter's tarps to keep light from entering the grow area while it's in the flowering stage. (Black plastic cost: $23.00)

I will be watching, but must admit to being troubled that you call them " boyz" . They are ladies you know, i can see their skirts! :goodluck:

Hey Ledtron....thanx for pointing out my gender bending!! I don't want to jinx my grow and end up with a bunch of hermies!! I'll be more careful with my choice of words. :oops:

Tuesday, August 16, 2011
These are the most recent pics of my garden since I switched to a HPS bulb on a 12/12 light/dark cycle ten days ago. I also recently started feeding my White Widows Monty's Joy Juice Root & Bloom. Since my Big Bud plants are close to harvest, they are getting plain, aerated tap water for the remainder of their grow.

IMG000525.jpg

IMG000493.jpg

IMG000504.jpg

IMG000534.jpg

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom