My First Posted Grow Journal

i like foliar feeding. i dont really do it much more though. dont know why. its supposed to stimulate leaf growth so it sounds beneficial. but i never sprayed them with the lights on. theres always a chance you can burn em. depending on how close they are to the light.

Remember reading an article once that said to foliar feed when the lights go on to simulate a morning dew. Guess it kinda makes sense. Dont really know why i foliar feed again in the evening,but i figure after 16 hours under the 1000 watter they may need a scattered shower. :peace:

Entered the dragon's lair this morning to implement the morning dew. While i was there i decided to check my temperature out. Unfortunately it was around 62 degrees,and i usually like to keep the crop at 75-80 degrees farenheit. I inspected a bit further and found that there was cold air rushing in through a couple different miniature basement type windows. Today i will see what materials i have on hand to fix the problem. Gotta keep your lady warm right fella's?:bongrip: Any idea's for the temporary macgyver?

The problem has been fixed. I simply cut out plywood to the exact size of the window screwed it in flush to the window frame and sealed it with this liquid insulation called,"good stuff". There is no air leak now and i'm hoping the temperatures in the grow area will continually rise.:yahoo:

i can see the morning dew theory holding truth.
i was told to feed with lights off and a 1/4 dose of nutes.i was also told nutes are absorbed quicker through the leaves and foiliar feeding. seems similiar to the new fog setups

also on the temp topic i think its better to keep the room a little warmer when theyre small but when they get bigger you wanna keep em cool. anything over 85f and your plants basically quit growing. theyre metabolism comes to a halt. if you feed em nutes and its hot your just gonna burn em up. theyre just sitting in nutes and not eatin em up. you could have problems real quick

Thanks staffy, Hope it keeps going smoothly. Keep tellin myself to be patient but it's tough. Feel's like i know what i'm getting for x-mas, but i gotta wait a few more months for x-mas to get here. :peace:

thanks carpy0646car, I think i better do some research on foliar feeding. Room seems to be holding between 63 and 68 lately. Do you think that is ideal enough? Have been thinking i can toss a small heater in the grow area on low if need be. wanna wait and see if the overall temperature of the area gradually increases a bit now that the air isnt rushing in anymore. Guess after i check tomorrow i will know much more about what needs to be done.:thanks:

The grow area seems to be holding around 67. Not sure if thats gonna cut it, Any thoughts? :thanks:

I think thats acceptable. my last garden really loved the cold temps. i kept mine around 66F and they seemed to do fine. visible healthy growth every morning when i walked out in the room.

what about night time temps?

Night time temperatures are probably closer to 60 degrees and after the light has been on a couple hours it levels off near 67ish usually. I only keep a fan blowing on them 6 hours a day to try not to bring the temps down too much in there. Think 6 hours a day of fan time is adequate airflow?:hookah:

Found a couple more spots that air was rushing into and filled them with cut up pieces of insulation. I will let the room adjust to a new temperature and try to take another reading tomorrow and post the results. Just hoping for a few more degrees. 70ish on and 65ish when the lights are off is what i'm aiming for i guess.:wood:

So far sounds good. Nice to see you are continually trying to improve your set up . :)
Foliar feeding... always when lights just go out. The stoma on the bottom of leaves only open when photosynthisis stops, durring photosynthisis they are closed. They remain closed when lights are on and feeding is useless as nutrients can not be absorbed.. Also if the light is on the droplets act like mini magnifying glass and will burn small holes due to light. I will also point out that if your plant is getting 100% of it's nutrients throught the roots... adding more through the leaves will cause burn. Also... A plants leaves only absorb certain nutrients, a root system breaks down nutrients using enzymes and other prosseses to allow transfer of the proper nutrients to the proper areas of the plant.
I foliar twice per harvest once when I flip and once at 3 week mark.(can explain why later).
Now onto this hippie "morning due" theory - (no offence fellow hippies) First off... morning dew does not contain the chemicals that your spray bottle does...unless you are up early collecting dew?... :)
Just my 2 cents.

Jonny

Thanks stilletto. You know if it was beneficial i just might go out at 5am every morning and collect dew :) Very good info on foliar feeding. Normally i use nothing but water to foliar feed. I believe it's time to cut back on the foliar feeding madness and "hippie"theories. lol. And i assume you stop foliar feeding 3 weeks into flowering so that your not watering down the trichome covered madness that ensues around that time. I usually stop foliar feeding around week 2 for that same reason. Thanks again for the great info my friend.

I have the ladies listening to a strict diet of symphony and classical music from here on out. Today they are being fed a strict diet of beethoven. If anything if it doesnt stimulate them ( With my hippie theories again ), It stimulates the hell out of me!:) Nothing like entering the grow area with the symphony blaring in the backround. :grinjoint: Temperatures are returning to a more respectable average now. Around 70 lights on and around 64 lights off, pretty close to what i had hoped for. Figure there is probably no need for a small heater now,mostly because i'm a couple weeks away from switching over to flowering and I hear that cooler temperatures help bring out the colors in strains toward the end and i'm really hoping these blackberry's are gonna get real purple. Especially my triploid which i am fascinated with. Keeps developing three sets of leaves at a time. Looks like a true triploid.

haha that must be a badass growroom entrance. I would feel like a king walking into a room full of amazing plants listening to beethoven. Some good stuff you got there man, keep up the good work!

Today i have hung my hydrofarm 6 foot light track. :) I have spaced out the plants and connected the light track into the electronic timer with the light system. Now when the light system comes on the light track automatically comes on with it. As i was reading the installation packet i noticed that the light track only uses 3 watts. How ridiculous is that ,3 watts. Doesnt get much more energy efficient than that and it goes to show that adding on doesnt always kill the electric bill.:thumb: The light track takes 20 minutes to reach one side of the rail and then it bumps off and takes 20 minutes to get back to the other side of the rail. It continues to do that the whole time the lights are on and kind of simulates the sun rising and setting while giving all the plants an even amount of light. So the ones on the edge are now getting just as much as the ones in the center. ( hopefully i will never have to rotate plants again and all i will have to do is space em out a bit more as they widen.) We shall see. Hope to get ridiculous results with this new addition, but then again i hope for ridiculous results from every new thing i try. Also the plant are all over a foot tall, Most of them over 14 inches ! Not time for 4 week vegetation pictures yet but maybe i can sneak one in so you can get a peak at my new toy. Another thing is that i started implementing fox farm grow big formula today at a rate of 1 and a half teaspoons per gallon. Feel an explosion of growth coming. I must have tapped into my psychic abilities.

Back
Top Bottom