My First Time: AK47 & Gold Bar Kush

coming on nicely mrgreene you have this down to the tee now by the looks of things. your going to have some fine buds there on ak :drool: keep up the good work and sit back and enjoy :thumb::lot-o-toke:

GBK has been trying to get better so I rewarded her with more light tonight. I added four cobs and plan to add a few more soon. That's only 178 watts from the wall right now. I also picked up another timer today so that I can put her into flower soon.

20170507_223131.jpg

I paid my power bill today. It was the lowest one I've seen in more than 10 years. About half of the normal amount.

I just checked on the big girls and I think they are happy. They will need water again within the next day or so. Is it time to go ahead and switch GBK over to flower or give her another few days?

20170508_174541.jpg

I also ordered six more of the four channel drivers and some heat sinks. That should leave me with more than enough to light all four tents plus some spares.

I just checked on the big girls and I think they are happy. They will need water again within the next day or so. Is it time to go ahead and switch GBK over to flower or give her another few days?

20170508_174541.jpg

I also ordered six more of the four channel drivers and some heat sinks. That should leave me with more than enough to light all four tents plus some spares.

She is definitely wide enough to flip. She has enough tops. If her canopy is 4" thick or more she is for sure ready.

Even if the canopy is less thick, this looks like a very good time to flip her to flower and see what she can do :party:

She is definitely wide enough to flip. She has enough tops. If her canopy is 4" thick or more she is for sure ready.

Even if the canopy is less thick, this looks like a very good time to flip her to flower and see what she can do :party:

You know I was delaying and hoping she would recover in the middle. Her color is better and the middle branches have got stronger. She's plenty thick around the edges but I'm sure she is still less than four inches in the middle though. As long as you approve then I'll flip her after work tomorrow. Can't wait to see how she wants to party. I never imagined that she would come this close to filling a 3x3 tent.

You know I was delaying and hoping she would recover in the middle. Her color is better and the middle branches have got stronger. She's plenty thick around the edges but I'm sure she is still less than four inches in the middle though. As long as you approve then I'll flip her after work tomorrow. Can't wait to see how she wants to party. I never imagined that she would come this close to filling a 3x3 tent.

You could still let her go a few more inches if you want - I'm still playin with how big to veg. I used to veg until all plants were about 20-24" tall, but I've done quite well with shorter plants this grow. I'm testing and comparing results - but it will probably be a few months before I reach an opinion on what yields best under my lights. The shorter plants are definitely faster to trim with bigger buds.

At this point it's a judgement call, if you still want to delay and let her fill in the middle, feel free to follow your gut. This is a good time to follow your heart. Wed, May 10th is a full moon. The May fulll moon is known as the Flower Moon, if that is a factor. It is for some :)

I'm not sure I've read anything yet that suggests if one big plant or several smaller ones will give a better yield or better nugs. I have noticed a lot of growers doing more/smaller plants though. I'll be interested to see what your opinion is on it.

She is doing a lot better and the stems are getting a lot stronger in the middle. She has also been drinking a lot lately. Over a gallon a day. I can switch her any time but it would be cool to wait until tomorrow and the Flower Moon.

I put her two clones into soil last night. There was just a little bit of roots showing. I'd like to see them perk up also before going into flower, unless I take another cutting but I think I'll already be pretty full in the tents even after AK gets harvested.

The C99 is growing sooooo fast that I'll need to top her in a couple days. She is starting to show some dark stripes up her main stalk too.

TwoX has been flowering 10? plants in a 4x4 - getting about what he and I would expect out of 4 plants in a 4x4 - 8 oz for 1/2 the tent. His buds are frosty as all get out, so TwoX knows how to grow.

Some people like flowering quickly because there are less chances for deficiencies to arise. Small plants are ready quicker, so ...The soil won't get exhausted in a quick grow. Hydro is less likely to go suddenly wrong in a quick grow.

I'm beginning to think quality and yield are based on (in this order): Genetics, Heat & humidity, Light, Nutrients & Water, plant size going in to flower. - I don't know this, it's just a working theory.

My temps and humidity are stable, my flower lighting is strong, and Doc Bud's nutrients work very well - so my yield is good. I am concentrating on finding good strains right now. I'm repeating my favorite strains from the previous grow room : Borderliner, AK47, & Hawaiian Skunk - and trying out new strains as I find the opportunity and money. The Amherst Sour Diesel is well liked by the family, but I'm on the fence about it. I still have a half dozen new strains to harvest in the next 3-4 months :)

TwoX has been flowering 10? plants in a 4x4 - getting about what he and I would expect out of 4 plants in a 4x4 - 8 oz for 1/2 the tent. His buds are frosty as all get out, so TwoX knows how to grow.

Some people like flowering quickly because there are less chances for deficiencies to arise. Small plants are ready quicker, so ...The soil won't get exhausted in a quick grow. Hydro is less likely to go suddenly wrong in a quick grow.

I'm beginning to think quality and yield are based on (in this order): Genetics, Heat & humidity, Light, Nutrients & Water, plant size going in to flower. - I don't know this, it's just a working theory.

My temps and humidity are stable, my flower lighting is strong, and Doc Bud's nutrients work very well - so my yield is good. I am concentrating on finding good strains right now. I'm repeating my favorite strains from the previous grow room : Borderliner, AK47, & Hawaiian Skunk - and trying out new strains as I find the opportunity and money. The Amherst Sour Diesel is well liked by the family, but I'm on the fence about it. I still have a half dozen new strains to harvest in the next 3-4 months :)

I haven't run across TwoX yet. I'll have to see if I can find his journal. Maybe I should do a run of smaller plants for comparison also. For sure there is a reduced chance for any problems to multiply in a quicker grow.

I like your list and wonder how it relates to my grow:

Genetics - Is good genetics likely for inexpensive seeds? For example I didn't pick any $20 single seeds that I saw but did pick packs of 5 seeds that were $6 so the cost of mistakes wouldn't be as much. There were a couple of exceptions if the listed uses were something desired or for the couple of mostly pure strains I noticed.

Heat and Humidity - I think I got lucky here and haven't had many problems.

Light - That could open a can of worms. I have been very happy with the cheap cobs although I really can't compare them to anything else. I suppose the dry weights after harvest will be a good indication.

Nutrients - I've used Fox Farm Trio and didn't give them much until late veg and flower.

Water - The swick has saved me with the unusually heavy travel schedule this winter and spring.

Plant size going into flower - I guess GBK is a large one and I can try smaller ones soon.

I can see how we will always be checking out other strains. It might get somewhat boring growing the same ones every time. You can stay on the fence about ASD as long as they like it and it causes your favorite to be consumed at a slower rate. Lol

My next order will have to include a couple of high CBD strains as medicinal value was one of the main motivations in growing.

I haven't run across TwoX yet. I'll have to see if I can find his journal. Maybe I should do a run of smaller plants for comparison also. For sure there is a reduced chance for any problems to multiply in a quicker grow.
The Twox thread I've been reading (still reading, haven't posted) is Two Tents By Twox - A Memoir Of A Monthly 8oz Harvest

I like your list and wonder how it relates to my grow:

Genetics - Is good genetics likely for inexpensive seeds? For example I didn't pick any $20 single seeds that I saw but did pick packs of 5 seeds that were $6 so the cost of mistakes wouldn't be as much. There were a couple of exceptions if the listed uses were something desired or for the couple of mostly pure strains I noticed.

New breeds of seeds are always going to cost more than older seeds, but it doesn't mean thay are better seeds.

I just checked on Black Widow at Mr. Nice Seeds - This is the famous White Widow that has spawned lots of copies (that are not the same thing.) $74 us for 18 seeds, so about $4 per seed. for the 1994 cannabis cup winner that changed the face of Amsterdam and their seeds market.

World wide, most plants sold as White Widow are not White Widow. Same with OG Kush and Chemdawg.
It's been that way as long as I can remember, weed grown in Humbold County Ca in ithe 70s was sold as Columbian Gold - even the green sensemilla :)
Reports of a recent study in California - most of the 'Jack Herer' being sold at dispensaries is not actual Jack Here it's fake.

It seems the best you can do is try stuff that your friends at here 420 say is 'the good stuff.'

I started out on the theory that one should find a breeder you can trust and buy seeds from them. Since all I had was Jorge Cervantes 'Bible' my wife looked o the internet to see who Jorge Cervantes said was a recommended breeder. They were a 420 magazine sponsor at the time. Turns out their seeds aren't that good, but a few of the strans they sell bred by other people and acquired however they acquired them are pretty good (AK47 XTRM and Borderliner XTRM.) So to find a breeder one can trust, I still suggest you rely on growers you trust on 420 magazine.

Heat and Humidity - I think I got lucky here and haven't had many problems.

Light - That could open a can of worms. I have been very happy with the cheap cobs although I really can't compare them to anything else. I suppose the dry weights after harvest will be a good indication.

Nutrients - I've used Fox Farm Trio and didn't give them much until late veg and flower.

Water - The swick has saved me with the unusually heavy travel schedule this winter and spring.

Plant size going into flower - I guess GBK is a large one and I can try smaller ones soon.

I can see how we will always be checking out other strains. It might get somewhat boring growing the same ones every time. You can stay on the fence about ASD as long as they like it and it causes your favorite to be consumed at a slower rate. Lol

My next order will have to include a couple of high CBD strains as medicinal value was one of the main motivations in growing.

I check out a lot less strains than others, but that is because my previous grows were generally unstable in heat, humidity, and nutrients - that is finally working out better for me :) Knock on wood :rofl:

I recently joined a new thread started by SweetSue. one week old and only 8 pages long. There is bound to be some CBD strain reviews among the pictures of high CBD plants :)
CBD Joy: A Community Garden Experience

Thanks Rad. I'll check out that journal and see what I can learn.

I haven't been doing as much reading the past few days. I had two teeth with abscess at the roots that kept me in extreme pain for a few days. It is finally a lot better today and I was able to sleep some after work. The antibiotics are helping and my jaw isn't swollen much now. I should be able to concentrate better and get caught up soon.

I had white widow on my list of must have strains. Ended up with nirvana white castle (white widow x ice) and hope it'll be a good one. I think I've read that about black widow recently. If I order again this year it'll be on the list for sure.

I've been watching to see what others are growing and also trying not to "keep up with the jones" chasing after the "latest and greatest". I still haven't tried any except some dried leaves that were trimmed from the lower growth and I'm not sure that counts. That leaves me not having the experience to judge what is good other than that it grows well.

It looks like you have your temps and humidity dialed in. I've seen so much positive feedback about Doc Buds kit and support from him and other growers. I'm sure there must be a comfort in having that support.

I saw that CBD thread and got there right away. I think I even had two posts on the first page.

Since today is Flower Moon, GBK agreed to have me change her timer to start flowering tonight. She seems to be in a good mood and ready to show off.

20170510_172253.jpg

Once AK heard me talking about flower, she asked if I could put up a couple pics of her flowers.

20170510_174123.jpg

20170510_174234.jpg

20170510_174325.jpg

And in the veg tent we have a fast growing C99 on the left, Columbian Gold behind her, and AK clone in the back right, and GBK clones on the front right and front center. There is also an unhappy gardenia clone down low on the front left.

I'm amazed that C99 is almost ten inches tall in just 3 1/2 weeks and CG is half her height. Oh, the GBK clones are just starting to show a tiny bit of new growth. The bubble cloner has been empty for a couple days so I might go ahead and take a couple more from GBK tonight.

20170510_174429.jpg

Since today is Flower Moon, GBK agreed to have me change her timer to start flowering tonight. She seems to be in a good mood and ready to show off.

20170510_172253.jpg

Once AK heard me talking about flower, she asked if I could put up a couple pics of her flowers.

20170510_174123.jpg

20170510_174234.jpg

20170510_174325.jpg

And in the veg tent we have a fast growing C99 on the left, Columbian Gold behind her, and AK clone in the back right, and GBK clones on the front right and front center. There is also an unhappy gardenia clone down low on the front left.

I'm amazed that C99 is almost ten inches tall in just 3 1/2 weeks and CG is half her height. Oh, the GBK clones are just starting to show a tiny bit of new growth. The bubble cloner has been empty for a couple days so I might go ahead and take a couple more from GBK tonight.

20170510_174429.jpg
They are looking beautiful.

Things seem pretty calm around here tonight. GBK is showing a lot of lighter green new growth and AK is still doing her thing. They were getting low on water so I gave them each a gallon of nutes.

The CG in the veg tent has a couple more older leaves getting dry on the ends. I think it might be the fan blowing too hard on her so I turned it off to see if that helps. Temp has been 73 degrees in there also so I closed the vent about half way to see if it will stay a little warmer. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow evening.

Back
Top Bottom