My newest young plant in coco got nuked - How did that happen?

So first of all - Thanks a lot for the quick answers. I currently don't know what to do. It's been a few days now, and nothing has really changed at all. In fact, I feel like it's getting worse.. again. I've already removed tons of leaves that were just 100% dead, they were easily plucked just by pulling slightly on them. No resistance pretty much. All curled and twisted leaves, light brown, just fried. There isn't a healthy green anywhere anymore, it's all just a very light green with the leaves burning from the outside in. The smaller plant also gets worse again & I'm just all out of ideas.

64.jpg
73.jpg

And now even worse, my autoflower is suddenly starting to show similar symptoms out of nowhere, even though it's a completely different substrate (organic peat from biobizz with biobizz nutrients):

1325.jpg

I'm slowly losing my mind here. I recently got 3 new seeds from a completely different breeder, should I just restart the coco grow with the upper two plants? Or should I first see what the actual problem is? I tried everything now, from flushing the whole substrate with PH corrected water, then re-feeding them with 1.6EC and 5.8PH with basic A+B nutrients and some epsom salts to push the magnesium a bit up, I then thought there's some new growth, but that new growth is now just.. dying too. Slowly, but surely.

I'm clueless. And so was my friend with a few good grows, same tapwater, same environment. Nothing helped yet. Not even changing from organic PH down to chemical PH down with my coco grow, not the flushing, they just get worse again.
I think the problem is you're watering it like a soil grown plant while your plant is growing in a inert hydroponic medium?

Feed everyday to 10-20% runoff and never let your pots dry out between waterings. At this stage you should water 2x daily optimally. With your current treatment you're causing high EC spikes at dry backs and a pH that totally crash between waterings.

You need to read up on growing in coir and hydro. I can tell that your pots are way to dry for growing in coco coir.

All the best of luck!

I think the problem is you're watering it like a soil grown plant while your plant is growing in a inert hydroponic medium?

Feed everyday to 10-20% runoff and never let your pots dry out between waterings. At this stage you should water 2x daily optimally. With your current treatment you're causing high EC spikes at dry backs and a pH that totally crash between waterings.

it's been like this since page one. everyone's been trying to address it. it would improve if we can just get the feeds on a set pattern at least.

You need to read up on growing in coir and hydro. I can tell that your pots are way to dry for growing in coco coir.

All the best of luck!

I do water daily and heavily with 15-20% runoff, as I followed the cocoforcannabis guide at first, just without the 4-5 waterings a day, but one big slow watering. They're not nearly drying out, the 5gal pot is insanely heavy as it can't even dry out as quickly with my temps, the only one drying out is the autoflower in organic peat, which has to dry out almost fully (the last one in the post above)

it's been like this since page one. everyone's been trying to address it. it would improve if we can just get the feeds on a set pattern at least.
Yes I agree. I think OP's been following recommendations and advices from people who doesn't even grow in coir themselves? If you haven't grown in said method before it's not wise or clear if someone is helping or causing problems by giving pointers, advices and possible solutions?

Cheers!

I do water daily and heavily with 15-20% runoff, as I followed the cocoforcannabis guide at first, just without the 4-5 waterings a day, but one big slow watering. They're not nearly drying out, the 5gal pot is insanely heavy as it can't even dry out as quickly with my temps, the only one drying out is the autoflower in organic peat, which has to dry out almost fully (the last one in the post above)
That's another problems I see. Your pots are more the size suited for a soil grown plant. Optimally you don't want to go larger than 3 gallons in coir and that's growing a really big plant indoors. Your biggest plant would be more suited for a half gallon size pot at current size.

Your plants would take off with smaller pots and more frequent watering. Stagnant water and anaerobic environments is not your friend in hydro.

That's another problems I see. Your pots are more the size suited for a soil grown plant. Optimally you don't want to go larger than 3 gallons in coir and that's growing a really big plant indoors. Your biggest plant would be more suited for a half gallon size pot at current size.

Your plants would take off with smaller pots and more frequent watering. Stagnant water and anaerobic environments is not your friend in hydro.
Wait, you don't need 5gal pots for plants grown in coco? I do in fact want them to get a bit bigger, as I grow autos on the side for the full 18/6 cycle until they're done, or at least that was my plan. I planned at least 2 months of veg, more like 3, or until the auto is done. I know waste of time and everything, but I like big monster plants.

Are big bushy plants in coco really possible with just 3 gallons?

Edit: Okay I just checked what's possible with just 1 gallon in coco. Oh god. I think in my next attempt I'll stick to 3gal as maximum, even if I have to water 2-3 times a day.

Hi I grew in coco for years feeding once every 3 days they was amnesia haze the plants grew fine the buds was huge and full of THC. Here is a pic its not the best as the phone was 11 years old they was in 5gal pots of straight coco. Ive also grew in a 1 gal and the plant was a nice size

Amnesia haze.jpg

I feel you're pain here mate. First thing, now you have the correct PH down, its been a few days yeah ? Mind getting a runoff sample of both EC / PH ? If everything is in check and you still having issues, don't rule out the fact it could be a dud seed. I have had the same issue, it does happen sir. Or was this taken from clone ?

This was a Gorilla Glue I chucked away not so long ago. Literally everything was perfect.. ( it did have spider mites some weeks prior ) but I terminated them quick smart. This is weeks later. It just didn't budge, literally stunted, when i dug up the roots they were white, but barely any network. Its as if the plant had zero interest in growing. Coco/perlite, basics A+B CalMg. Any new growth that wouLd squeeze out showing promise would just stunt, then start to die like older growth etc.

20230827_165411.jpg

20230827_165418.jpg

I feel you're pain here mate. First thing, now you have the correct PH down, its been a few days yeah ? Mind getting a runoff sample of both EC / PH ? If everything is in check and you still having issues, don't rule out the fact it could be a dud seed. I have had the same issue, it does happen sir. Or was this taken from clone ?

This was a Gorilla Glue I chucked away not so long ago. Literally everything was perfect.. ( it did have spider mites some weeks prior ) but I terminated them quick smart. This is weeks later. It just didn't budge, literally stunted, when i dug up the roots they were white, but barely any network. Its as if the plant had zero interest in growing. Coco/perlite, basics A+B CalMg. Any new growth that wouLd squeeze out showing promise would just stunt, then start to die like older growth etc.

20230827_165411.jpg

20230827_165418.jpg

You know, it's funny you mention that with the roots not growing anymore!

Here's why:

I just checked on the biggest, and all the top stems drooped down. It just looked dead for whatever reason, even though I checked a few hours prior and it was fine.

As adventurous as I am (got 3 new seeds already germinating, new strain new breeder, so f it), I pulled the plug on the big and the small photo plant. I replanted them, and washed the root system clean.

Here's the strange thing - They did not grow into their new pots, which they've been in for a while. No roots, nothing. The whole substrate was empty of roots, all just coco and perlite. I was able to pull them out as they were when I repotted them into the bigger pots. Not one tiny root grew out into the new layers. But the roots in the actual substrate were.. fine. Like literally fine, big white roots, and LOTS of them to say the least. The big ones root system was heavy as hell, but compacted into the 1gal size it was in before, with the 5gal of new substrate not touched by one tiny root. Let's just say the 1 gallon of substrate was 80% roots. Healthy ones.

So I washed it, wash wash wash. Very carefully, I've only found a few tiny roots in the leftover water. That's the only thing I'm capable of I guess, because I do have hundreds of plants and I've done my fair share of mistakes.

I now sized down to 1gal for the big one, and 1/3rd gal for the small plant. Completely fresh coco substrate, everything new, all new, not one bit of history left, besides the plants themselves. I lowered the EC for now, did a full calibration of my pen again just to make sure, and didn't touch one of the additives, just a tiny amount of Epsom salts (calcium is abundant in my water, mag isn't), and canna a+b.

I may have hurt / stunted them a lot now, but I will see them as side plants, and wait for whatever happens next.

I don't understand why they act like this, why the roots look so insanely healthy, yet they never grew into the new pots at all, and.. why they keep dying if everything seems absolutely healthy deep down there.

And as one last piece of information: All the plants that died were from the same strain and breeder (Gazzurple by Humboldt seed company, seed, not clone), 5 of them, 2 of them are the ones dying right now. The 3 other ones died with similar strange symptoms, but in organic substrate back then, and way quicker than these.

Edit: And sorry if I sound like Trump whenever I explain stuff. I don't know why I type like he talks.

You know, it's funny you mention that with the roots not growing anymore!

Here's why:

I just checked on the biggest, and all the top stems drooped down. It just looked dead for whatever reason, even though I checked a few hours prior and it was fine.

As adventurous as I am (got 3 new seeds already germinating, new strain new breeder, so f it), I pulled the plug on the big and the small photo plant. I replanted them, and washed the root system clean.

Here's the strange thing - They did not grow into their new pots, which they've been in for a while. No roots, nothing. The whole substrate was empty of roots, all just coco and perlite. I was able to pull them out as they were when I repotted them into the bigger pots. Not one tiny root grew out into the new layers. But the roots in the actual substrate were.. fine. Like literally fine, big white roots, and LOTS of them to say the least. The big ones root system was heavy as hell, but compacted into the 1gal size it was in before, with the 5gal of new substrate not touched by one tiny root. Let's just say the 1 gallon of substrate was 80% roots. Healthy ones.

So I washed it, wash wash wash. Very carefully, I've only found a few tiny roots in the leftover water. That's the only thing I'm capable of I guess, because I do have hundreds of plants and I've done my fair share of mistakes.

I now sized down to 1gal for the big one, and 1/3rd gal for the small plant. Completely fresh coco substrate, everything new, all new, not one bit of history left, besides the plants themselves. I lowered the EC for now, did a full calibration of my pen again just to make sure, and didn't touch one of the additives, just a tiny amount of Epsom salts (calcium is abundant in my water, mag isn't), and canna a+b.

I may have hurt / stunted them a lot now, but I will see them as side plants, and wait for whatever happens next.

I don't understand why they act like this, why the roots look so insanely healthy, yet they never grew into the new pots at all, and.. why they keep dying if everything seems absolutely healthy deep down there.

And as one last piece of information: All the plants that died were from the same strain and breeder (Gazzurple by Humboldt seed company, seed, not clone), 5 of them, 2 of them are the ones dying right now. The 3 other ones died with similar strange symptoms, but in organic substrate back then, and way quicker than these.

Edit: And sorry if I sound like Trump whenever I explain stuff. I don't know why I type like he talks.
Yea mate same here, those pics i put up were off the 2 GG4's about a months or so after transplant, they never budged really, and the roots maybe expanded a few inches if that ? Nothing was happening. However, EC & PH in & out were spot on. I scoped hard for mites and clean as a whistle. No root rot, nothing, just a retard ? Excuse the word but I struggled to find another one. The two GG4's btw, were clones i started a long time ago, and my mate had kept the strain, and gave me the two cuttings, which literaly struggled from day one. His grew fine, mine did this. Thankfully I have another strain going here so I chucked them in fear it was some kinda Fungi or Contagious nonsense ? Somthing definitly happened to them and im still lossed for answers.

Back
Top Bottom