N deficiency in 2 week old seedling? NL yellowing and curling

sumloud

Hey everybody, first time grower here. Germinated 4 seeds (2x AK-48, 1x Bubba's Gift, 1x Northern Lights) and planted in Rapid Rooters and watering with 6-6.5 pH distilled water in 80F, 30% RH, 24/0 from 300W LED. One of the 4 seedlings, the Northern Lights, is experiencing yellowing and curling/twisting in torsion along the axis of the leaf. I was under the impression at this age (2 weeks), seedlings shouldn't be starving for any nutrients...

After experimentally transfering one of the AK-48's to my FFOF w/ 10% perlite and watching it somewhat take off over night, I have transplanted the NL this morning in hopes that the soil nutes will help my yellowing. Any advice on this?

RQS Northern Lights
20160206_113817-1.jpg

FFOF Runoff pH
20160206_114905-1.jpg

Also, is this slow growth? It's hard not to compare my progress against others, and feel I'm behind a bit. I have taken care to keep conditions constant, never over water, etc.

How big is the pot she is in?
I don't like peat plugs for seeds. I've used them for cuttings, but I think seeds do better directly in whatever you will be growing in, only diluted if the soil has nutes in it.

How big is the pot she is in?
I don't like peat plugs for seeds. I've used them for cuttings, but I think seeds do better directly in whatever you will be growing in, only diluted if the soil has nutes in it.

She was in a Rapid Rooter tray. I've planted the rooter in a 5-6" pot now. I planted one of her sisters yesterday morning and she seems to have taken well to the FFOF/Perlite already.

Congratulations on your first grow! :thumb:

Tips :

Rooting pucks, packs (whatever) their pH is usually near 5, so make sure to change the pH of those before planting in the future

80*F is near the threshold, it's at around this temperature that your roots are vulnerable to disease

N deficiency, I don't think would apply to this case because there is still chlorophyl in your bottom leaves (I'm almost positive that N deficiency will affect the lower leafs before the new growth) Pleas correct me on this one

Overwatering, judguing by the image, that's a lot of soil for a little seedling. It might have a hard time draining all that water; you want to keep things moist but not wet.

The bending and twisting of the plant is something I experienced myself when the lights were too close to my plant; even though they weren't hot (T5's) I still needed to raise them 6 inches.

Important to note that the yellowing is in the new growth, problem is definitely at the root zone

I'll be keeping up with your grow :)

Best of luck,

Congratulations on your first grow! :thumb:

Tips :

Rooting pucks, packs (whatever) their pH is usually near 5, so make sure to change the pH of those before planting in the future

80*F is near the threshold, it's at around this temperature that your roots are vulnerable to disease

N deficiency, I don't think would apply to this case because there is still chlorophyl in your bottom leaves (I'm almost positive that N deficiency will affect the lower leafs before the new growth) Pleas correct me on this one

Overwatering, judguing by the image, that's a lot of soil for a little seedling. It might have a hard time draining all that water; you want to keep things moist but not wet.

The bending and twisting of the plant is something I experienced myself when the lights were too close to my plant; even though they weren't hot (T5's) I still needed to raise them 6 inches.

Important to note that the yellowing is in the new growth, problem is definitely at the root zone

I'll be keeping up with your grow :)

Best of luck,

Thank you! I'm really enjoying getting into gardening. If you'd like, you can follow my grow here!

All of what you're saying make sense, especially about the problem being in the root area. Perhaps I should have snapped a pic of the roots when I planted them but to me they looked healthy. No discoloration or anything at least.

With regards to temperature, I have to think about what I options I have. My temps stay between 79-82 and while I've heard many a success story at these temps it would be nice to have them down. I am in very tight space and can't source air that is any cooler than 72F without pulling from outdoor at 20F and they'll be way too cold. Maybe a small inlet fan would help, I'm in a 2x2 tent with one 4" outlet fan so I really can't go high velocity without vacuum issues.

Hopefully if it was a pH issue it will go away in the FFOF! I feel through the Rapid Rooter process I kept my watering within reason; only watered them when I couldn't pinch any water out and they were obviously light and noticeably light brown. They felt very very lightly moist at best when watered. When I watered, I let them sit in 1/8-1/4" distilled water for 5-10 minutes then not again for ~2 days. Now with the FFOF I have a 10% perlite mix in there with 1/2" of perlite layer on the bottom for drainage with 8 1/4" holes on a ribbed tray. I haven't watered very many plans in my life but it began draining off quickly and drained a good amount. The pot is 5" across the top btw, the plant is probably 1.5" tip to tip; picture may be blowing it out of proportion.

Not sure what steps to take, all my other seedlings enjoy the light at this height :(

Thank you! I'm really enjoying getting into gardening. If you'd like, you can follow my grow here!

All of what you're saying make sense, especially about the problem being in the root area. Perhaps I should have snapped a pic of the roots when I planted them but to me they looked healthy. No discoloration or anything at least.

With regards to temperature, I have to think about what I options I have. My temps stay between 79-82 and while I've heard many a success story at these temps it would be nice to have them down. I am in very tight space and can't source air that is any cooler than 72F without pulling from outdoor at 20F and they'll be way too cold. Maybe a small inlet fan would help, I'm in a 2x2 tent with one 4" outlet fan so I really can't go high velocity without vacuum issues.

Hopefully if it was a pH issue it will go away in the FFOF! I feel through the Rapid Rooter process I kept my watering within reason; only watered them when I couldn't pinch any water out and they were obviously light and noticeably light brown. They felt very very lightly moist at best when watered. When I watered, I let them sit in 1/8-1/4" distilled water for 5-10 minutes then not again for ~2 days. Now with the FFOF I have a 10% perlite mix in there with 1/2" of perlite layer on the bottom for drainage with 8 1/4" holes on a ribbed tray. I haven't watered very many plans in my life but it began draining off quickly and drained a good amount. The pot is 5" across the top btw, the plant is probably 1.5" tip to tip; picture may be blowing it out of proportion.

Not sure what steps to take, all my other seedlings enjoy the light at this height :(

You're so good at this (describing). It's beautiful :dreamy:

I'm experiencing the same thing! Some of them are ok, but others are growing abnormally; I'll be taking some pictures tonight to post. I'm hoping the community will be able to help... Please visit my Community Grow-Op link below to see.

I underestimated your vast knowledge; you're doing a great job with everything so far; I'm baffled and I'm anxious to find out what the issue is! :nomo::hmmmm:

You're so good at this (describing). It's beautiful :dreamy:

I'm experiencing the same thing! Some of them are ok, but others are growing abnormally; I'll be taking some pictures tonight to post. I'm hoping the community will be able to help... Please visit my Community Grow-Op link below to see.

I underestimated your vast knowledge; you're doing a great job with everything so far; I'm baffled and I'm anxious to find out what the issue is! :nomo::hmmmm:

Thank you Majin! :high-five:

If only I knew as much as I sound like I know... I'll keep you posted, but it looks like the transplant has helped! Thanks again for the support! I'll post some pics today after I transplant her remaining sisters into the FFOF.

Back
Top Bottom