Need help with gnats

davidw44

Had a problem with nats. Got rid of them. And know this water at 6.3.

AEFDD977-B16A-40E8-AD14-A63653C3BB68.jpeg

6EC58F91-EB0E-4409-85F0-F2D08824ED17.jpeg

2CF49A2E-9DD1-45DF-ABA0-B4BE079B0B5F.jpeg

You either have thrips or mites. (my bet is mites) They're super teensy, check the bottoms of your leaves for eggs and such. As bad as that looks, I'd guess you may even be able to see some webbing if it is mites.

eta: It kind of looks like the plants are hungry too.

Hey 44,

Yep, your girls have the clap. Safers Soap or Neem oil. Right at lights out move your chicks to an elevated surface. Mix your potion and use the finest spray mist possible. Be sure to spray up her skirt first, get all leaf undersides, stems & main stalk. After undersides are thoroughly coated then spray from top down to cover outer foliage.

The reason for this is critters hang out & lay eggs on leaf undersides, but if you spray top down first then foliage will droop down from weight of spray & you can’t get undersides coated well.

Safers Soap meant to be rinsed off with plain water…. so read all labels & follow manufacturers instructions. It’s like kids in a daycare swapping germs… you will need to treat every single plant. It will take consistent effort but you can prevail

ditto on what Sueet said - looks hungry & prolly needs a bump in nutes.

You either have thrips or mites. (my bet is mites)...
I am thinking a mite infestation myself and they have been there for awhile.

They will chew holes in the leaf surface, often the underside, and the result is a small mark on the top surface. Then after they have been there awhile the spots start to merge and get larger. If nothing is done about it there will be so many marks that the entire leaf starts to change color.

Had a problem with nats. Got rid of them. And know this water at 6.3.
The plants appear to still be in the vegetative stage so there are many possible ways of going about fixing this problem. One of the most popular products to use is a mixture of Neem Oil and water. There are other products available so spend some time reading up on them.

As @013 brings up you will have to spray the plant everywhere. Spray all the undersides of the leaves and spray all the top sides. The plant should be dripping the spray solution just like it would look right after a heavy rain. I set up newspapers on the floor when I spray.

It is considered best to get the mite problem under control before the plants go into flower. It is easy to do if growing photoperiod plants since the grower can easily control the lighting schedule. If those are autoflowers then you will have to get to work on the problem ASAP. Once flowering starts the possible cures are limited. Again, you will have to look at the choices. There are several that say they can be used right up to the day before harvest.

Most likely you will have to spray every day for 3 or 4 days and then take a break for a day. Then spray for 3 or 4 days and take a break. After doing this schedule 3 times you should be able to go to spraying every 3rd day. Once the new grow shows that the mite damage seems to be stopping you can go to spraying once a week. And I really seriously recommend that you continue to spray once a week no matter how good the plants look.

Whenever I see mite problems starting I no longer wait to see what will happen--I already know. Out comes the spray bottle and I will often spray twice a day if I start to think that the problem might be more serious than it looks.

It kind of looks like the plants are hungry too.
Very hungry. Start to take care of the nutrient deficiencies and it will help with controlling the mites. Mites and other insects that attack and eat plants prefer weak underfed plants.

Even if the Mite issue is brought under control the nutrient deficiency will become a bigger problem once the plant starts to flower.

As @013 brings up you will have to spray the plant everywhere. Spray all the undersides of the leaves and spray all the top sides. The plant should be dripping the spray solution just like it would look right after a heavy rain. I set up newspapers on the floor when I spray.
With the size of the plants and level of infestation I would probably dunk the whole plant

With the size of the plants and level of infestation I would probably dunk the whole plant
That is a thought. Either one would work. For some of us, dunking is an option to consider.

With what looks like 6 plants it is a question of "six of one and a half dozen of the other" so which ever is easier. It is breaking the cycle for an insect that is mature enough to start laying eggs when it is just a couple of days old that is important. To break that cycle the grower will have to spray or dunk once or twice a day for awhile to get the population under control.

Couple questions.

What would you use for the soil drench on Monday of the first week? Will that be the same as you would dunk into on the Monday of the second week?
Good questions. For the soil drench I would use Neem. It's a systemic and will be absorbed by the plant and ready to harm the next bug feeding on it. It will also take care of eggs and larva in the soil. I never use the same product within two week of each other, for one it gives the bugs immunity in a way, for two it's easier on the plant. For the dunk I probably would use Zerotol2.0 or something organic and targeting the problem. I like things that do other things at the same time...like kill bugs and resist PM at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom