Need help with ventilation placement

most decent tents come with a few different placed ports. it' s really up to the growers how the the ports are used.
the tent mfgrs have to accommodate a number of alternate set ups.
I'm not knocking the product. I had never seen a tent in person when this one ordered online. It is well made and will work great as a first tent.

I set up my tent with the fan outside and it works great for me.
So after taking a step back and thinking about what you said, I decided to move the fan outside too. I'm really glad I did that. I was being lazy just hanging it inside the tent. It frees up a bunch of space moving it out! I added a cloth cover on the end of the fan outlet. The picture angle makes the ducting look odd but you get the idea.
20210329_214553.jpg

This is angle of the ducting leaving the filter to the fan. Roughly 22.5°
20210329_212934.jpg

And no worries about the tape , you want a tight seal all along the duct.
Yeah just get some tape around it.
So, I think I don't have to tape after all. The ducting I used, has a flexible but very tight plastic covering that I was able to get on the fan and filter. It was a very tight seal and then added the clamps to it. It should be good right?! I don't feel any air escaping.

In the pic below, you can see the built in plastic sleeve material. I pushed roughly two rings of the duct onto the fan and filter and then secured the clamp. It is a very tight fit.

20210329_205406.jpg

With the larger ports up high a fan on the floor is pushing uphill.
Actually, from what I have seen most often, having the fan pull the air up through the tent is preferred. You want the cool and fresh air to move up and through the filter. It pulls the warmer air through the filter and out of the tent. That is what I understand to be the preffered method. I have all three mesh openings on the bottom open right now. There are large duct ports on the bottom too though if you prefer to use those.

So after taking a step back and thinking about what you said, I decided to move the fan outside too. I'm really glad I did that. I was being lazy just hanging it inside the tent. It frees up a bunch of space moving it out! I added a cloth cover on the end of the fan outlet. The picture angle makes the ducting look odd but you get the idea.
20210329_214553.jpg

This is angle of the ducting leaving the filter to the fan. Roughly 22.5°
20210329_212934.jpg

So, I think I don't have to tape after all. The ducting I used, has a flexible but very tight plastic covering that I was able to get on the fan and filter. It was a very tight seal and then added the clamps to it. It should be good right?! I don't feel any air escaping.

In the pic below, you can see the built in plastic sleeve material. I pushed roughly two rings of the duct onto the fan and filter and then secured the clamp. It is a very tight fit.

20210329_205406.jpg

Actually, from what I have seen most often, having the fan pull the air up through the tent is preferred. You want the cool and fresh air to move up and through the filter. It pulls the warmer air through the filter and out of the tent. That is what I understand to be the preffered method. I have all three mesh openings on the bottom open right now. There are large duct ports on the bottom too though if you prefer to use those.
Looks great. I didn't need tape the clamp was enough. I find having a length of ducting on the outlet side of the fan makes it quieter. I ordered a cheap bathroom type of exhaust fan, it came today and is not bad. I put it in a upper port with a hose clamp. Its quiet, 22 db and moves 76cf of air pm at 10 watts. I'll use it later when I run photos as a forced intake.

you've got a circular thing going - whereby you are gonna be sucking the bad air vented from the tent back in and out again in a continual loop.

this will raise your humidity by a considerable amount, bringing your temps with it. it will also greatly reduce the scrubbing ability of your filter, adding piles of odour to the interior of the house. you may not notice it if you live there, but it could smell strong enough to knock someone over if they pop by while you are in flower. it's not a stealth set up if that is what you are after.

exhausting to outdoor will solve these issues. if that is not doable, a dehumidifier may be needed at the least, which could in turn increase your temps etc.

I added an extra piece of ducting to the exhaust side of the fan, I runs quieter and you can direct to a window if needed.. In my experience, the filter will scrub the air. You may notice the humidity dumped out of the tent, I do, The excess duct I run to a window occasionally and will do so more as it gets hotter.
Here are a couple pics of the vent I put in. I still need to add a bit of ducting for light intrusion. Not needed until I run autos. Looks good. yet unconventional.

DSC00217.JPG

DSC00219.JPG

Hey y'all. This will be my first time growing indoors. I am getting my @Mars Hydro tent setup and I am trying to determine which spot would be best for the filter and fan.

Here are a couple pics of my setup.

Should I set it up in the back corner and run the ducting through the top port? That would cause a bend in the ducting causing a loss of flow, right?

Should I set it up in the middle of the tent where there are ports on either side? There would be no bends in the ducting.

If I put the filter and fan in the back corner, would I place the light underneath them so that the plant in that spot can get the best direct light? If I put it in the middle then it wouldn't be in the way of the light right?

The other option would be to run the fan on the outside of the tent, correct?

I was hoping I could connect the filter directly to the fan for maximum efficiency but my clamp won't get it tight enough. I was going to do black duct tape but I hate the idea of having a bunch of tape residue on my equipment. Any other options to get a good seal without having to use tape? Or stop being stupid about it and just tape the damn things together?

20210327_222233.jpg

20210327_222240.jpg
You need to put some space between that carbon filter and your extraction fan. Use some 4” or 6” dryer flexable hose and some hose clamps.

A266670B-0E92-4757-A269-32B149845D81.jpeg

the scrubbers will handle it at first no problem, but deteriorate over time. it's so subtle you may not notice, then come home from work one day and pow ! smell-o-rama. keep a spare on hand.

i used to rent a street level lower flat in a condo type development. one wkend we left for a two-day camping trip and hike. when we got back we could smell the flat from the parking lot 30ft away. we had two plants in 3 x 4 area, they had entered flower tens days earlier. they completely overtook the scrubber, and the odour just bottled up inside the flat till it leaked everywhere. our scrubber was about 4 grows in and we hadn't noticed it getting poorer, it just stopped being effective at the wrong time.

i always vent to outdoor if i can for flower now, i still recirculate in my veg space though. i have a spare filter. it's good to have a spare fan as well, i could use one.

you've got a circular thing going - whereby you are gonna be sucking the bad air vented from the tent back in and out again in a continual loop.
Urgh...I see what you're saying. Hmmm... check this out and let me know what you think. Initially, I was thinking of adding modifications to an existing floor vent. This tent is in my garage in case I hadn't mentioned that. There is a lot of fresh air that comes in and out of there everyday. Buuuut...is it fresh enough to keep the ladies happy?! You're making me second guess myself! LOL

What if I vented it out the existing furnace exhaust ducting?! Does anyone know if that would cause an issue?
it's not a stealth set up if that is what you are after.
Thank you for the wisdom. Yeah...a stealth grow is 100% what I am after. I want nobody to know what's growing on my property.
exhausting to outdoor will solve these issues.
I was initially going to go that route but thought my garage gets enough fresh air. At least what I think is fresh *ish which very well could be nowhere close to how fresh it should be for a grow! I think I will make changes no matter what so that I am ready.

For the time being, you think it would be ok to run for a few weeks like this?

I want to plan VERY well before I go but a big ass hole on the side of my house! :nervous-guy::nervous-guy::nervous-guy:
I still would prefer to use an existing vent below, just modified from square to round.
keep a spare on hand.
Good idea!
it just stopped being effective at the wrong time.
Yeah, that would suck! I would definitely be super paranoid after that! Haaa haaa

So right now I have all three of the low mesh ventilation sections opened up. One of them is about an inch away from the garage vent (fresh air...if the fan is strong enough right?).
20210330_163218.jpg

On the right side is the garage door about 15 feet away. This door has a 1" ventilation gap at the top of the door also. That tend to bring in air as well.
20210330_163224.jpg

When we open the door from the house to garage (which is many times per day), it sucks air and brings in air. It is not a large volume of air but it's got to add up! Any thoughts on that please? Plenty of fresh air or nowhere near enough and will cause problems?

Urgh...I see what you're saying. Hmmm... check this out and let me know what you think. Initially, I was thinking of adding modifications to an existing floor vent. This tent is in my garage in case I hadn't mentioned that. There is a lot of fresh air that comes in and out of there everyday. Buuuut...is it fresh enough to keep the ladies happy?! You're making me second guess myself! LOL

don't sweat it. if it's in the garage the tent may be sitting in an area with enough total air volume that it doesn't matter as much. if the air in the garage gets exchanged often you may not need to vent external at all.

What if I vented it out the existing furnace exhaust ducting?! Does anyone know if that would cause an issue?

lots of guys tied in to existing furnace exhaust ducting for years. it used to be a stealth grow go to..

you could also simply put a vent in the garage anywhere you want. garages and outbuildings often have all kinds of vents or grills and no one ever questions it. they aren't all that hard to diy in, kits are available as well.

For the time being, you think it would be ok to run for a few weeks like this?

i run all through veg in a smallish place and i vent internally. it only gets noticeable in flower. but then it really gets noticeable lol.

my flower space is externally vented

I want to plan VERY well before I go but a big ass hole on the side of my house!
I still would prefer to use an existing vent below, just modified from square to round.

there are a multitude of adapters available. your neighborhood home despot or preferred hardware outlet will have them in spades.

Yeah, that would suck! I would definitely be super paranoid after that!

my landlord and every single neighbour knew what we were doing after that. i was just lucky everyone liked my girlfriend cause i woulda been looking at the crowbar hotel otherwise.

Thanks for all the info @bluter ! Much appreciated. I'll give it a try to see how it performs for a while.

I'm pretty handy. I could manage getting a hole done. It's the stucco that I would not want to deal with. I have so many other projects on my list and I'm doing everything possible to not add more.

if possible i usually try to tie in to existing, but i've done all sorts of stuff from putting vents in, to boxing window spaces to make it work.

i lived for years under stealth. it was a bitch when flir was thing. i still use a mylar liner under stuff, or double sided mylar bubble wrap even though it's gone legal here.

While perusing Costco today, I picked up a couple oscillating fans today. A tower style which was on my list today to buy. I also ended up picking up a different one that I have been intrigued by. They happened to have some and at a good price. It's one of those multi direction oscillating types. I didn't get a picture, I was too baked to remember and too lazy to go downstairs to get a pic right now.

Rough day for me today but I did manage to do a little fiddling with the fan and controller.

While the fan was on around 5 and above, you can see it sucking fresh air from the garage vent! I am thinking of putting some tassels on the vent to be able to monitor the air flow direction and strength. That makes me feel better knowing that fresh outside air is being drawn in. My plan is to add an extra outlet to my furnace exhaust and add an inline fan to help with additional suction. Then I can scratch the idea of used up air recirculating in the garage. One less worry. But one more project to complete... :laugh: :bong:

Screenshot_20210402-000523_Chrome.jpg

Looks like I need to get things dialed in better. I added the humidifier last night. It supposed has a built in hydrometer and self regulate....unless I'm getting that circular motion happening you mentioned @bluter ?! Hmmm...

20210401_004349.jpg

Also, this is that little fan I was talking about. Holy crap...this little thing blows and is quiet. I need to figure out a good way to hang it so I can use this on the top of the canopy. I may get another to have on each side of the tent.
20210401_004151.jpg

You need to put some space between that carbon filter and your extraction fan. Use some 4” or 6” dryer flexable hose and some hose clamps.
I meant to reply to you and somehow missed it. I was hoping you would clarify. I have a bunch of space between my filter and fan. About 5 feet of 6" ducting.

Screenshot_20210402-000523_Chrome.jpg

Looks like I need to get things dialed in better. I added the humidifier last night. It supposed has a built in hydrometer and self regulate....unless I'm getting that circular motion happening you mentioned @bluter ?! Hmmm...

20210401_004349.jpg

Also, this is that little fan I was talking about. Holy crap...this little thing blows and is quiet. I need to figure out a good way to hang it so I can use this on the top of the canopy. I may get another to have on each side of the tent.
20210401_004151.jpg

I meant to reply to you and somehow missed it. I was hoping you would clarify. I have a bunch of space between my filter and fan. About 5 feet of 6" ducting.
Yes, I see that now but originally I thought you were trying to attach the van directly to the carbon filter without a gap in between. Your good now.

you're going to get a spike like that whenever you are in day cycle, vented to outdoor or not. that one doesn't even look all that bad to me. i could probably live with things as they are in those parameters. things may change in flower though, depending on your season.

originally I thought you were trying to attach the van directly to the carbon filter without a gap in between. Your good now.
Oh yeah...you're right. The original layout was looking like that. That was so long ago (3 or 4 days but in my brain it never happened)! Haaa haaaa

Oh yeah...you're right. The original layout was looking like that. That was so long ago (3 or 4 days but in my brain it never happened)! Haaa haaaa
Yeah lol, we all have “weed brain” around here, myself included.

we all have “weed brain” around here, myself included.
I have come to terms with the fact my brain is slowing down...add on to the fact that "weed brain" compounds it sometimes...I am a lost cause! Haaa haaa. There are times though that bud will keep me focused and more energetic. Able to accomplish more on my to-do list than if I wasn't lit. LOL

Back
Top Bottom