New grower looking for advice :)

trouble420

I know basics on growing cannibis plants, I've never grown anything of my own but I help my boyfriend taking care of his plants and I love the idea of growing something of my own. I just want to grow one, since I would be growing in my closet, and want to grow a really big plant. Being a perfectionist I want to grow the best plant possible, I am willing to work very hard to grow a plant that will produce very high quality medicine, however I am definitely on a budget. My main concern is lights. I would like to get the best bang for my buck, and would like some opinions on what the best light setup is to buy that's cheap (bearing in mind it is only one plant). Also any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Oh and any thoughts on what a good strain is to start with?

For that size tent I would suggest 2 600w dimmable ballasts, air cooled hoods, extraction fan. This would give you the best bang for your buck and will cover the rectangular space well. If it were me and budget was not an option I would pick up 2x 600w lights HPS and 1 400w magnetic ballast and run a ceramic metal halide or 400w hortilux blue.

For a setup like above, for 1 set (hood, bulb, ballast) you are probably looking around $250-$350 depending on if you buy new or 2nd hand. Add another 100$ for a good 400CFM 6" fan and about another 40$ for ducting, and another 100-200$ for a good carbon scrubber.

Overall you probably would spend around 600 to 900$ to give yourself premium lighting.

For a single plant you can even just get one of those 150 watt HID all in one units for less than $100! One plant could be grown in a 2 x 2 foot area so at 30 to 50 watts per square foot calls for 120 to 200 watts. If you want mammoth growth from a single plant maybe a 250 watt all in one set. As for a strain a good all rounder might be "Northern Lights". Good luck and welcome!

Back
Top Bottom