New Guy From The Ozarks Looking For Advice!

Yes. That's what I did. You could probably do less, but not more. I didn't use one for the first grow, because most people just leave the lower vents open, and I assumed it was expensive. It was cheaper than a clip on fan. I didn't have a particular issue with smell, but my circumstances are different than yours. What I liked most was how much more air gets pushed through. If you do use one, you need to shut all of the flaps, or you will push unfiltered (pungent) air out the openings. Exactly what you are trying to prevent. Shut it off before you open up the tent to keep that from happening.

Yes. That's what I did. You could probably do less, but not more. I didn't use one for the first grow, because most people just leave the lower vents open, and I assumed it was expensive. It was cheaper than a clip on fan. I didn't have a particular issue with smell, but my circumstances are different than yours. What I liked most was how much more air gets pushed through. If you do use one, you need to shut all of the flaps, or you will push unfiltered (pungent) air out the openings. Exactly what you are trying to prevent. Shut it off before you open up the tent to keep that from happening.

I kind of disagree depending no offense.If he just buys a few feet of ducting and run it from a bottom vent flap and run it with a turn so light can't shine in and just as a passive intake... Anyhow with all the negative pressure in the tent the air gets pulled in from all the tiny gaps not pushed out... Pretty much even if he has flaps opened the outtake will cause for negative pressure which will suck air into the tent not push the pungent air out.

If he ran a proper intake with a fan it could be slight different if there is enough positive pressure but even then a 4" filter is massive for a 2x2 so it will do its job well minus whenever as you said he opens the tent up and waters the plants but even then it's not that bad because the outtake will suck up the air not blow it out of the other openings

I was thinking about that. Do I need to match my cfm of my exhaust fan?

It just needs to be somewhat similar but if they are off by 20-80CFM it's not all that big of a deal.. That ventilation you selected will work great trust me I use the same setup and if it wasn't working I probably wouldn't be commenting online anymore lol. Just run a passive intake with it as it'll create plenty of negative pressure. A passive intake means you just open up one of the bottom vent intakes and just run some ducting without a fan that away you can put a bend in the intake to prevent light from coming in and the outtake pulls plenty of air in via the passive intake. I do also agree with the other poster that it really only needs to be installed after a couple weeks of flower. It will definitely double the lifespan of the filter as the filter is on the cheaper side so I'd replace it ever year or two depending how often you use it.

I kind of disagree depending no offense.If he just buys a few feet of ducting and run it from a bottom vent flap and run it with a turn so light can't shine in and just as a passive intake... Anyhow with all the negative pressure in the tent the air gets pulled in from all the tiny gaps not pushed out... Pretty much even if he has flaps opened the outtake will cause for negative pressure which will suck air into the tent not push the pungent air out.

If he ran a proper intake with a fan it could be slight different if there is enough positive pressure but even then a 4" filter is massive for a 2x2 so it will do its job well minus whenever as you said he opens the tent up and waters the plants but even then it's not that bad because the outtake will suck up the air not blow it out of the other openings

No offence at all brother. My tent's a 4x4 with a 5" extraction fan and filter, so different set up. I never even thought to close the bottom panels and just run some ducting through the vent. I'll try that next grow.

No offence at all brother. My tent's a 4x4 with a 5" extraction fan and filter, so different set up. I never even thought to close the bottom panels and just run some ducting through the vent. I'll try that next grow.

I'm jealous that's a nice sized tent. I'd personally go with a 6" at minimum in that space(mainly because I have a 6" inline fan in storage lol.)What's the CFM on that fan? Lol my first fan was a 6" Ipower I got it used on eBay for 40$ and it worked great... Rather to well lol my tent woud suck in to the point of I was afraid it would break if I didn't have a strong intake... My 100cfm booster fan didn't provide enough air flow so I had to put an additional fan at the beginning of the ducting to increase airflow. But I eventually bought a 4" 195cfm vivosun and wow my ears thanked me so much because I'm often right next to my grow area and the fan. The Ipower was definitely built to last it was a giant metal inline that weighed 16# and had 442CFM sadly it doesn't come with a controller though and saw mixed results online about using a 3rd party controller. I also had it attached to my 4" filter and the smell was still undetectable. But now with the vivosun it's just an extremely light plastic fan hardly any larger than the ducting itself and it's very quiet and maybe 2#'s total you can twist it and it comes in half for easy cleaning. I think it would dominate a 2x2 with just a passive intake because it works surprisingly well in my 4x2 not super strong but it does the job fine. I actually attached my filter two days back because the smell was lingering outside and within an hour you couldn't smell weed at all... But it probably won't last nearly as long as the Ipower that worked fantastic for a year before I stored it and it was secondhand a fraction of the price new and still works. I'd definitely recommend always checking eBay bids for inline fans because you will get a good deal and it's always nice to have a spare if needed.

I will say that 6" extracted everything in my home lol... You take a bong bit it would suck it right in the intake and you wouldn't smell it but for a minute or two lol.

Good Afternoon everyone, I finalised my list last night. This is all I will buy for now to get this grow started. I will look on other sites to try to find the cheapest price to save all I can. I just used amazon to make my list. This is the list for my 2x2x56.

Casolly Hydroponic 24"x24"x56" High Reflective Mylar Non Toxic Grow Tent for Indoor Plant Growing,2'X2'

MARSHYDRO ECO 200W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Hydroponic Indoor Plants Growing Veg and Flower

Century 24 Hour Plug-in Mechanical Timer Grounded

VIVOSUN - 2 Pairs 1/8 inch Adjustable Heavy Duty Rope Hanger - Reinforced Metal Internal Gears, Loose-proof Design, 8-ft Long & 150lbs Weight Capacity ( Upgraded Version )

VIVOSUN 195 CFM 4" Inch Inline Ventilation Duct Fan

VIVOSUN 8 Feet 4 Inch Non-Insulated Flex Air Aluminum Ducting for HVAC Ventilation w/ Two 4 Inch Stainless Steel Clamps

VIVOSUN 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter Odor Control with Australia Virgin Charcoal for Inline Fan, Pre-filter Included, Reversible Flange

VANTAKOOL Digital PH Meter, 0.01 PH High Accuracy Water Quality Tester with 0-14 PH Measurement Range for Household Drinking, Pool and Aquarium Water PH Tester Design with ATC (yellow)

General Hydroponics pH Control Kit

Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula - Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom Pint Size

8 Quarts xGarden Horticultural Grade Premium Perlite - Coarse and Chunky

FoxFarm FX14047 2-Cubic Feet FoxFarm Happy Frog Potting Soil

VIVOSUN Grow Bag 3-Pack 7 Gallons Fabric Pots Grow Bags with Handles and Reinforced Seam

AcuRite 00613 Humidity Monitor with Indoor Thermometer, Digital Hygrometer and Humidity Gauge Indicator

Apollo Horticulture UV400 Fit Wear Cover Over Prescription Glasses Wearer Indoor Growing Hydroponics LED Grow Light Room Glasses for Intense LED lighting Visual Eye Protection - LEDGrower2

I have researched and studied for weeks and I decided last night for me to get started I will buy feminised auto seeds and it will be either White Widow or Skunk. I will get the 5 seed pack. Hopefully by the time I use up the 5 seeds I will have my land bought and my cabin built. Then I will have a hidden room in my bedroom that will be 8ft x 16ft. That's my long range plan. So while I'm working on that plan I can build a concealment wall in my travel trailer and have the 2x2 for one plant at a time. Hopefully by the time I get in my cabin I will be experienced enough and will have everything that I need to and be proficient at growing. I said it before but will say this again, as soon as I get started on building this grow area and get it all setup and start my first grow I will start my journal here on the forum.

The only thing I have to say is do not cheap out on the autos do a lot of research and don't just buy the cheapest autos. If you get iffy genetics and stress it one way or another it can flower while still incredibly small and can hurt yields. I like photos because you can veg them as long as you want. If you stress them out and stunt them you can just veg for another week or two but you do not have that option with autos. Good genetics are important in my opinion because autos can yield a half pound if done right but they can also yield a single small bud both taking the same amount of time in total. I personally think a strain recommended for beginners that's a photo would be best in my opinion but that is just my opinion others do fine with autos on their first grow. It really comes down to dedication and if you have any experience growing plants imo. Again it's your grow it's 100% your choice. I just highly recommend that you look up grow journals and see which high quality genetics people recommend and do not feed to soon the happy frog will have enough nutrients for probably upwards of a month.

If you do choose an auto I would recommend going back to 5 gallon pots as they will not veg nearly as long as a photo (most likely just varies) and you probably won't get a very strong root base compared to using a five gallon pot. Some growers also prefer three gallon pots with autos it just varies I don't have any experience with them personally as I prefer photos atleast until I have a larger grow area because I want to grow my plants to the size I prefer and be able to top them along with over HST methods and veg them out for 6-9 weeks. Normally I'll take cuttings off of a plant that's just been put in the flower tent and veg the clone up until the mothers are harvested and repeat taking a cutting off of the now ready to flower plant.

Hey LedGuy74 I understand what your saying about cheap seeds. I have read posts here as well as doing online searches. I read an article from High Times on this very subject. I don't remember who it was without going back to the beginning of my thread and see who said it, but he gave me the names of two of the places he buys from. I've looked at a couple seed banks sponsored on this site as well.
Now as for auto or photo I truly believe I can grow either. I can do quite well growing garden plants and house plants so now I just need to learn the do's and dont's with this type of indoor grow.

Hey LedGuy74 I understand what your saying about cheap seeds. I have read posts here as well as doing online searches. I read an article from High Times on this very subject. I don't remember who it was without going back to the beginning of my thread and see who said it, but he gave me the names of two of the places he buys from. I've looked at a couple seed banks sponsored on this site as well.
Now as for auto or photo I truly believe I can grow either. I can do quite well growing garden plants and house plants so now I just need to learn the do's and dont's with this type of indoor grow.

If you have some growing experience and read before you do you should be fine. Like I said though one huge thing is to not feed to early on let them use up the nutrients in the soil before feeding which will probably be 3-4 weeks give or take. Again I do also recommend adding dolomite lime into the soil as it slowly adds nutrients over time and it helps buffer the soils PH. I personally mix it into each batch of soil along with the perlite and just leave it all in a container to sit for when an need it.
59a61ce77e2314ddaa778a3485f76919.jpg

These are just all tips and things I personally do many may disagree with me and many may agree with me it just completely depends on the grower so just use my advice as a prospective and do what you feel what be best for you and it should go good just ask questions before doing anything until you are comfortable with them and diagnosing problems. You already seem pretty sensible hell a lot of new growers would want to use a cheaper light and add 4-5 plants in the 2x2 while using some miracle grow soil and nutes and improper equipment.

FYI i grew up on a farm lol. This is different but still growing a plant. I had actually forgot to add the lime. Dad always tilled lime into our big garden every year. Yes he used 13-13-13 on our food crops and this is different when it comes to that but it's still growing. I grow all my own peppers and such every year so I do have a green thumb. Being on a tight budget to start is why I am tweaking my purchase list. I can add to it every grow to improve the next one. One step (plant) at a time! As for asking questions don't worry about that because I will. I am reading all kinds of articles on here and online and as you know everyone has their own way. I am taking a little bit of info from just about everyone's articles that I'm reading. I'm one that firmly believe' s in my research.

FYI i grew up on a farm lol. This is different but still growing a plant. I had actually forgot to add the lime. Dad always tilled lime into our big garden every year. Yes he used 13-13-13 on our food crops and this is different when it comes to that but it's still growing. I grow all my own peppers and such every year so I do have a green thumb. Being on a tight budget to start is why I am tweaking my purchase list. I can add to it every grow to improve the next one. One step (plant) at a time! As for asking questions don't worry about that because I will. I am reading all kinds of articles on here and online and as you know everyone has their own way. I am taking a little bit of info from just about everyone's articles that I'm reading. I'm one that firmly believe' s in my research.

That's a pretty modest budget you can easily hit 6 ounces each grow with that setup after you practice some and find a nice heavy yielding strain that produces abnormally large Colas it'll be a breeze. Lol my grow started off in a bathtub with CFL'S and a couple fans with bagseeds... I bought an led for my flowering cycle because they has grown rather large and we're ready to flip... they all ended up male haha.. So the second grow I bought fem photos and tossed a couple bagseeds in. That grow went much better... I had a decent ventilation still pretty inadequate though to be honest and kept a few CFL'S for the one bagseed that ended up being female because my fem bean took up the entire mars hydro 300. But the fem bean finished in 55 days I chopped her and she was 68 grams. My bagseed was maybe 20% the size of the SQ at flip but it grew large Colas and gave me 2-3x more than expected... (55 grams) it also took three months to flower and received the LED directly over her the last month.
04aea3d48bcd13129728a8d622ab1713.jpg
these were the two main Colas on the bagseeds... You can see she just wasn't the best quality but damn those two buds were 10 grams each lol plus she had a couple other large Colas and popcorn. Anyhow after that I had finally got a tent and bought a second mars hydro 300 and proper ventilation and just kept slowly adding to it the 3rd grow was the best 4th blew thanks to mites but I had still managed to make it to harvest and now my fifth grow I went more natural and less training because I didn't want anything touching to help prevent mites from returning.. So far no mites and if I remain mite free well then my next grow I'll start going all out again and add the scrog and aim for best yield. I'm also up to 400W in my tent with a 100W light for vegging that I'm going to be tossing in my tent for 500W until this grow then I take a 1-2 months break before jumping back into it. But point is taking your time to add more stuff is perfectly fine like I said the money you'll save on weed could buy you lots of toys.

Here were my plants from that second grow 1st harvest and actual flower cycle (thanks to first grow being all male) special queen #1. 68G
8d3fff5e7cc9f7e626a909345d35932f.jpg
bagseed 55G
51417c8319de929d130577bb0fc8499e.jpg
the bagseeds was definitely more finkity compared to the special queen but she was also in a pot half the size she was nowhere near that large at flip and I wasn't expecting those sized Colas the pictures of the bagseed plant doesn't really do her justice. I was very surprised of how little her buds shrank during dry and cure they barely shrank compared to lots of strains.

7a6fc7ce2994521ab5073abe2fe46fa9.jpg
if the platform is the same all around then you just click that Plus in the circle in the bottom left and then this pops up
8548eaa4e6c4e2e0c26b45be2c3cf144.jpg
then you click that gallery symbol second to the left.

Looks nice the a/c up top work?
Yea works good. I use two of the oil filled radiator type heaters. One in my bedroom and one in the living room area. See the bunk area, that's fixing to be taken out. I'm leaving the closet but the bunks are coming out for my tent.
The roof vent and the window is why I can't close it in and make the area a grow room. The barn cabin will be my long range plan. I will get one built just like that pic with center entry on the side and it will be 16 feet wide by 40 feet long.
1efc1a97b5fd1ee9f90e8b5acee4fc11.jpg
852d79fdf7851b418d13460a8036be3c.jpg
77728f57913eed3eb1aee4d42549876b.jpg
e0645e92c907687ad5305383e84d5374.jpg

Yea works good. I use two of the oil filled radiator type heaters. One in my bedroom and one in the living room area. See the bunk area, that's fixing to be taken out. I'm leaving the closet but the bunks are coming out for my tent.
The roof vent and the window is why I can't close it in and make the area a grow room. The barn cabin will be my long range plan. I will get one built just like that pic with center entry on the side and it will be 16 feet wide by 40 feet long.
1efc1a97b5fd1ee9f90e8b5acee4fc11.jpg
852d79fdf7851b418d13460a8036be3c.jpg
77728f57913eed3eb1aee4d42549876b.jpg
e0645e92c907687ad5305383e84d5374.jpg

I run a radiator heater on medium setting at 1200 watt at one side and the other I just keep a tiny heater on economic mode at 600W. I typically only use the small heater except during extremely cold weather in which case water will turn to ice so I keep the heaters both on and cut my exhaust off and it'll keep my tent nice and warm even in the single digits when the lights are on at least... Heaters stay my the tent and I just freeze lol. I prefer the small heater when it's 40+ because it cuts off at whatever temp you prefer. Yeah that's a nice size area you got. You have plenty of room on the sides to run exhaust however you want to run it.

I run a radiator heater on medium setting at 1200 watt at one side and the other I just keep a tiny heater on economic mode at 600W. I typically only use the small heater except during extremely cold weather in which case water will turn to ice so I keep the heaters both on and cut my exhaust off and it'll keep my tent nice and warm even in the single digits when the lights are on at least... Heaters stay my the tent and I just freeze lol. I prefer the small heater when it's 40+ because it cuts off at whatever temp you prefer. Yeah that's a nice size area you got. You have plenty of room on the sides to run exhaust however you want to run it.
The closet will stay, I use it for storage. I keep my dog food barrel in there. When the bunks come out. I decided today I will hang a big heavy curtain across there. That way I can heat that area during the winter by itself. I have no water hooked up. I do use the toilet and the property has a septic tank. I carry my water from my brothers house on the other side of the driveway lol. I shower at their house. I do well my sister in law does my laundry for me. I eat over there some. My gas range works and my microwave is also a convection oven. Fridge and freezer works too. Got a coffee pot and so on.

Back
Top Bottom