New sprout

Finnicki

First sprout in 8 diff seeds. Leaves are tight together. Been this way since I first spotted it Tuesday. Is this not going to end well? Or just be patient?

B5D2FF0A-0CBE-490F-8A67-73D559864CBB.png

Too much water in there, she can't breathe. I would pull her out of that muck and repot, or at least use some paper towels to soak some of that out of the soil before she drowns.

Moved it to drier climes. Didn’t try to separate the leaves. So small and weak. Found previous posts on subject. Others told poster that leaves will open on their own. Mine have been this way since Tuesday when I first saw the sprout.

Moved it to drier climes. Didn’t try to separate the leaves. So small and weak. Found previous posts on subject. Others told poster that leaves will open on their own. Mine have been this way since Tuesday when I first saw the sprout.
Take a pair of tweezers and gently squeeze from the top side to help with separation. I had success doing this just a few days ago. Sometimes a film from inside the husk or seed hull stays behind hindering the two from separating

NTH

The tap root is only bout 3/4-1” long. And it was shallow and came out. I saw the tip was not white but brownish. 1/8” or so. White tap root was real wavy.

I have never had one not come off. Usually, like NTH said, I play around with it with a tweezers, squeezing it from the sides and trying to grab it... and eventually it just pops off and the leaves snap open. Don't give up... she wants you to help.
I think the problem arises from not enough friction on the shell during its initial ascent/ not planting seed deep enough. I don’t soak the seed either for what it’s worth. What are your thoughts on my hypothesis Miss Em?

NTH

Hey @Finnicki , how's this little one doing now?

I think the problem arises from not enough friction on the shell during its initial ascent/ not planting seed deep enough. I don’t soak the seed either for what it’s worth. What are your thoughts on my hypothesis Miss Em?
Yeah, it supports my thoughts that the medium is not right for sprouting... too woody, not fine/dense enough. If it was me, this little sprout would be in a 2" square nursery pot, with a special low-nutrient sprouting medium of soil and coir.

Hmm... doesn't look like a shell or film to me...

1660390974667.png

It went to the other side. Amen. Two new seeds, though autoflower, are in between paper towels, in between plates, in the tent on the warming pad. The medium WAS too heavy. They will go into Happy Frog next. If they open and decide to make an appearance.

Hey @Finnicki , how's this little one doing now?

Yeah, it supports my thoughts that the medium is not right for sprouting... too woody, not fine/dense enough. If it was me, this little sprout would be in a 2" square nursery pot, with a special low-nutrient sprouting medium of soil and coir.

Hmm... doesn't look like a shell or film to me...

1660390974667.png
Too much water?

One thought so. Wasn’t that much in there. Didn’t want a desert in that peat cup. Have a two cup set up waiting now. Clear cup inside with an opaque one outside. Going to start in those then go to the final pot.

One thought so. Wasn’t that much in there. Didn’t want a desert in that peat cup. Have a two cup set up waiting now. Clear cup inside with an opaque one outside. Going to start in those then go to the final pot.
I wouldn’t go to my final pot until I had my roots trained (see Emilya’s thread for watering) and they had 3 or 4 sets of leaves but that’s just how I would do it.

And today came the new seeds. I have been keeping them in their lil cases, in my dresser drawer. Should they be kept in a frig?

Back
Top Bottom