Newbie Question - What to do with my clones?

akgisman

I'm a 61-year-old retiree living in Alaska. Now that it's legal to grow here, I ordered 5 seeds of Dr. Krippling Incredible Bulk from Herbies. Germinated 3 seeds. All have sprouted and are thriving, and are into week 2 of flowering stage. I took 6 clones prior to flipping and all 6 rooted out. What can I do to slow the development of these clones? I only have one grow tent and one light (180 watt LED, which, by the way is perfect for 3-4 plants). Do I put these clone in soil and bring them under 18/6 discipline under a low-powered fluorescent? I think I've read that this is acceptable. I want to be able to transfer these to my grow tent immediately upon harvesting my other plants in about 6 weeks' time. Thanks in advance

Re: Newbie Question - What to do with my clones.

Hi akgisman,

Welcome to the 420 community of members! :welcome:

Congrats on your success thus far. You can keep your clones under a flourecent light and allow them to begin developing. I use a fairly high powered 300 watt equivalent (85 watt actual) CFL for my clones and/or mothers. A lower powered flourescent will work fine as well although I think you'll want to ensure the light source is physically close to little ones to ensure they don't begin to stretch to reach the light.

Be well and happy growing.

I'm a 61-year-old retiree living in Alaska. Now that it's legal to grow here, I ordered 5 seeds of Dr. Krippling Incredible Bulk from Herbies. Germinated 3 seeds. All have sprouted and are thriving, and are into week 2 of flowering stage. I took 6 clones prior to flipping and all 6 rooted out. What can I do to slow the development of these clones? I only have one grow tent and one light (180 watt LED, which, by the way is perfect for 3-4 plants). Do I put these clone in soil and bring them under 18/6 discipline under a low-powered fluorescent? I think I've read that this is acceptable. I want to be able to transfer these to my grow tent immediately upon harvesting my other plants in about 6 weeks' time. Thanks in advance

Greetings to a fellow Alaskan grower! Yes, you can veg clones as long as you want. I have clones on an upper shelf in the veg area. In my experience, the Sativa clones will naturally be slow growing, but the Indicas will grow very quickly.

I bought a $40 wire shelving unit and covered it with a white tarp, and outfitted it with 8 23 watt CFL's mixed soft white and daylight (heavy on the daylights). Over time, I ended up with a closet and two "tents" created from shelving. You want those CFL's within a couple inches of the tops so they don't stretch.

To slow their height, you can pinch tops, tie down branches and otherwise lightly stress them. There is an upside to letting the clones grow bigger, and that is a larger, more mature plant at flip, and higher yield. In our situation larger, fewer plants are easier to keep within our lawful limits. But your yield will be a lot more per plant.

Back
Top Bottom