I jumped the gun with my first post. So i have 5 plants, soil is miracle grow potting soil mixed with manure compost and worm castings in 16" pots. No formula, just thrown together, so not consistent in each pot. Some of the plants are thriving, some not. I checked soil pH, ranged from 5 ish to 6 hard to tell with ph kit i bought. One plant that is lagging had brown spots developing. I notice a few others had the same brown spots. I've applied neem oil to combat some bugs eating the leaves as well.

Thoughts, is it low ph, nutirients etc..

Need to figure how to attach my pictures, thought i did
Brown spots and a bit yellow? Also is slow to grow?

20220702_075339.jpg

20220702_075739.jpg

20220702_075735.jpg

20220702_075720.jpg

20220702_075423.jpg

20220702_075415.jpg

20220702_075346.jpg

20220702_075339.jpg

I jumped the gun with my first post. So i have 5 plants, soil is miracle grow potting soil mixed with manure compost and worm castings in 16" pots. No formula, just thrown together, so not consistent in each pot. Some of the plants are thriving, some not. I checked soil pH, ranged from 5 ish to 6 hard to tell with ph kit i bought. One plant that is lagging had brown spots developing. I notice a few others had the same brown spots. I've applied neem oil to combat some bugs eating the leaves as well.

Thoughts, is it low ph, nutirients etc..
Sure. Sponsors here have lots of things for your consideration. One is @GeoFlora Nutrients . They have a 2 part system of dry feed. I'm using it in my outdoor grow now. Another is @Remo Nutrients . They have several bottles in their kit. My brother in law used it last grow and it rocks too! @Prescription Blend is another one I have on the shelf and have watched do great things as well! Visit the sponsor page and peoples journals before you lock in. I can tell you those three have good results but there's more.

I don't know about the soil you're using and its ability to maintain ph so I'd keep it around 6.4.

They look nice! Need some calcium. Some calmag should do it. Maybe hungry.

Are the brown spots indication of low calcium? Should those leaves be cut off when they look like that?
I agree with @StoneOtter do not take the leaves off... 2 reasons... First even if spotted or yellow they will continue to absorb light until/if they fall off.
Second keeping the damaged leaves on the plant will help you keep track of progression or fix of the defiency.... You'll be able to see if it's getting worse or has stopped spreading.

For nutrients I would personally recommend geoflora.... It's a simple product with great results... No mixing....no nonsense... Easy for new growers and old....top dress every 10-14 days... As mentioned there are a lot of good products from sponsors here but I have only used geoflora and fox farms so I cannot weigh in on the rest.

I ordered some Geoflora nutrients. Should i treat with cal mag first before adding Geoflora?
Add your cal mag with water and wait 15 minutes before adding your GeoFlora nutes not sure what their formula is for it as they don’t sell to Canada just check out their feeding chart on the package or on their website

Cal-mag is an "extra"....should be compatible with any nutrient line.

But yes add to water per instructions...wait 15 minutes and if your using any other liquid nutrients you can then add them to the water before watering.

And awesome you won't be disappointed with geoflora. Start with a lighter dose than recommended first top dress and then go full "dose" from that point on. It says up to 14 days worth of nutrients per top dress....some plants will show hunger in fewer than 14 days so I feed them early sometimes...just a heads up.

It's a little early for Ca deficiency, but it could be because of the unknown qualities of the soil (frankensoil?), so some Cal-mag is fine. I see a little overwatering which can also cause the lower leaves to yellow. Might let it dry more between watering.

It's a little early for Ca deficiency, but it could be because of the unknown qualities of the soil (frankensoil?), so some Cal-mag is fine. I see a little overwatering which can also cause the lower leaves to yellow. Might let it dry more between watering.
Also, calcium is an immobile nutrient and the upper leaves look great, so whatever it is taking from the lower leaves must be something else. Looks like a classic nitrogen deficiency to me but that's odd given the worm castings and manure in his mix.

So i have 5 plants, soil is miracle grow potting soil mixed with manure compost and worm castings in 16" pots. No formula, just thrown together, so not consistent in each pot. Some of the plants are thriving, some not.
Next round try to dial in your mix a bit better. Most of us here don't use the Miracle-Gro mixes due to the premixed nutrients they add that can play havoc with the feeding schedule of this plant. Many growers use Promix which is a peat based mix.

But whatever you use try to be consistent and keep good notes so you can keep track of changes and effects. Make up a big enough batch so all your pots get the same ratios.

Honestly, that plant looks pretty good. Nice green healthy leaves up top, but showing a growing deficiency down low. The Geoflora nutes should fix you right up!

Total newbie, like i said. In retrospect I would have done a little more home work and been more scientific in my approach. I started with a few seeds and purchased 3 more plants from a local nursery that just started selling recreational. I have 5 plants and 4 different strains going on here for a little more complexity. Thanks for all the tips.. Hopefully I can keep these ones alive and thriving with a better plan for next season.

I suspect I'm guilty of over watering.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, so glad I found this forum and the helpful members.

Back
Top Bottom